Kobe Bryant Discussion:#3 All Time!

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion (dropped 16 lbs - pg 312)

Postby kray28 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:31 pm

therealdeal wrote:For the last time, nobody cares about Smush Parker.

The happiest man on Earth when Kobe mentioned Smush was Smush.
kray28

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:39 pm

He lit up the 3rd quarter. It looked like he really wanted to try to get the guys going...

Too bad he was the only one who wanted to win tonight.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:50 pm

He was great in the 3rd, but I don't know why he was even in the game. Game was a 30 point blowout and Brown had Kobe out there doing it all by himself in a meaningless game, come on.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:57 pm

Weezy wrote:He was great in the 3rd, but I don't know why he was even in the game. Game was a 30 point blowout and Brown had Kobe out there doing it all by himself in a meaningless game, come on.

the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:15 pm

fksteveblake wrote:
Weezy wrote:He was great in the 3rd, but I don't know why he was even in the game. Game was a 30 point blowout and Brown had Kobe out there doing it all by himself in a meaningless game, come on.

Yeah I'm sure you could do a better job.

/sarcasm

Let me know when Brown actually loses a meaningful game.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:17 pm

I don't know if I could do better, but I doubt I could do worse. It doesn't take a genius to know that Kobe doesn't need to play entire quarters in what you just admitted was a meaningless game. Or to know that Morris freaking sucks, or that lineups of the end of the end of the bench put in during the second quarter were going to get steamrolled by Utah's 2nd string.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 pm

Weezy wrote:I don't know if I could do better, but I doubt I could do worse. It doesn't take a genius to know that Kobe doesn't need to play entire quarters in what you just admitted was a meaningless game. Or to know that Morris freaking sucks, or that lineups of the end of the end of the bench put in during the second quarter were going to get steamrolled by Utah's 2nd string.

Ignorance is bliss my friend. I will stress again it is f****** Pre-season who cares? The games mean absolutely nothing so who cares if he plays scrubs? I'm sure he's doing it just to see if these guys have any talent which it appears they don't. Again people can whine and complain about him being a bad coach all they want, but the facts just simply don't back that statement up.

Look at what he did in Cleveland with a mediocre roster. Just one superstar and a bunch of unreliable and inconsistent role players. Made it to the playoffs every season, made it to the Finals once, and had over 60 wins back to back seasons. With the Lakers last year he was given a relatively average roster and they still beat a tough Nuggets and gave OKC a battle in round 2. This is the first time that he's even been given a championship caliber roster. Let's see what he does with it.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby venky on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:24 pm

And this is why I still think it's Kobe's team and that he's the best player on the Lakers. He has the ability to turn it up a notch.
venky

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:26 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
Weezy wrote:I don't know if I could do better, but I doubt I could do worse. It doesn't take a genius to know that Kobe doesn't need to play entire quarters in what you just admitted was a meaningless game. Or to know that Morris freaking sucks, or that lineups of the end of the end of the bench put in during the second quarter were going to get steamrolled by Utah's 2nd string.

Ignorance is bliss my friend. I will stress again it is f****** Pre-season who cares? The games mean absolutely nothing so who cares if he plays scrubs? I'm sure he's doing it just to see if these guys have any talent which it appears they don't. Again people can whine and complain about him being a bad coach all they want, but the facts just simply don't back that statement up.

Look at what he did in Cleveland with a mediocre roster. Just one superstar and a bunch of unreliable and inconsistent role players. Made it to the playoffs every season, made it to the Finals once, and had over 60 wins back to back seasons. With the Lakers last year he was given a relatively average roster and they still beat a tough Nuggets and gave OKC a battle in round 2. This is the first time that he's even been given a championship caliber roster. Let's see what he does with it.

Speaking as if you saw/watched a lot of games from those Cleveland teams from the past.....
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby venky on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:28 pm

Literally nothing Mike Brown has done in his career is impressive. He had LeBron in an incredibly weak East. Those Cleveland teams would struggle to make it to the Playoffs in the West.
venky

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:32 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
fksteveblake wrote:

Yeah I'm sure you could do a better job.

/sarcasm

Let me know when Brown actually loses a meaningful game.

yea, because i was totally saying i should coach the team.

ever heard of the smell test?

and why is a preseason game suddenly devoid of any meaning whatsoever? i don't really care about losing preseason games. i do kinda mind when we look like a bunch of chumps though. it doesn't make sense to me why mike brown feels he needs to keep giving guys like reeves nelson and aguilar more extended looks. the book should be closed on those guys. we're now halfway done with preseason, we should hopefully be working towards building chemistry and a sense of identity for our guys (sure, dwight is out but that's out of anyone's control). these weird duck-duck-goose rotations appear to be largely a waste of time, and it's not the first time he's done it (see: last season...the REGULAR season).
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby noobiew on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:24 pm

Kobe Bryant first half : 1-7 FG
Kobe Bryant 3rd quarter : 9-11 FG
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:37 pm

Ramona Shelburne of ESPN wrote: Kobe Bryant was busy scoring 31 points in 29 minutes of the Los Angeles Lakers' 114-80 exhibition loss to the Utah Jazz on Tuesday night at the Honda Center.

The New York Yankees' 2-1 loss to the Detroit Tigers in Game 3 of the American League Championship Series was a world away. But the struggles of his friend Alex Rodriguez were not.

"We spoke a couple of days ago," Bryant said of Rodriguez, whom he befriended on the set of a commercial a few years ago. "You can only control what you can control. You go out there and do the best job you can. If they take you out of the lineup, it's really on you to be a good teammate and support the other guys, which he's good about doing."

But that's not exactly what Bryant said when he called Rodriguez, who was benched for Game 3 on Tuesday night because he's hit .143 in the ALCS and .130 in the playoffs with no RBIs.

No, that conversation went more like this:

"I just say to him, 'You're Alex Rodriguez. You're A-Rod. 'You're one of the best to ever do it,' " Bryant said. "I think sometimes he kind of forgets that and wants to try to do the right thing all the time. Which is the right team attitude to have. But other times you really have to put your head down and say, 'Hell with it' and just do your thing.

"Hopefully the next game they'll kind of give him a chance, maybe put him back at third and let him respond to the pressure, which I think he'll do."

Although both are among the best to ever play their respective sports, Bryant and Rodriguez would seem to be very dissimilar.

"We're different," Bryant said. "But you're talking about, 'He's one of the best to ever play.' I think really the difference is, sometimes he forgets he's the best. ... Where, I don't."

Bryant laughed at the self-deprecating comment, then continued on to explain how the two men are in some ways the same.

"We know what it takes to get to that level," he said. "The consistency, the sacrifice, the work ethic, the constant scrutiny. that's something we all have in common, from golf to cycling to swimming to basketball to baseball."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:46 pm

Yeah Kobe except A-Rod has only proven to be clutch in one season.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby intuitivelOve on Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:47 pm

^ a kobe on arod article??? that sums up the preseason game. lol hope kobe wasnt lying about calling arod though, bc they wrote an article about it.
intuitivelOve

Postby DanielBeltz24 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:09 am

I do not remember, but wasn't Texas Laker Fan's name previously KeepBynum? Or is that a different one? Because if it is it explains a lot by his posts.

"Let me know when Brown loses a meaningful game."
Umm, 2011-2012 second round against the Thunder?
DanielBeltz24

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:58 pm

How did Kobe score 23 of Lakers' 24 points in third quarter last night? "To this point, I've really just ..."

... kind of been practicing things throughout the course of the games, trying things," he said. "(In Game 4 vs. Utah) I just kind of went back to the basics a little bit." Bryant made 9 of 11 shots in the quarter, focusing on his catch-and-shoot opportunities while playing alongside Steve Blake, Metta World Peace, Antawn Jamison and Robert Sacre.

And yes, it's true that wife Vanessa showed up at her courtside seat in Anaheim just before Kobe got hot. He actually didn't make a shot until she arrived late in the second quarter.

Ariza3

Postby kenzo on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:03 pm

Ariza3 wrote:
How did Kobe score 23 of Lakers' 24 points in third quarter last night? "To this point, I've really just ..."

... kind of been practicing things throughout the course of the games, trying things," he said. "(In Game 4 vs. Utah) I just kind of went back to the basics a little bit." Bryant made 9 of 11 shots in the quarter, focusing on his catch-and-shoot opportunities while playing alongside Steve Blake, Metta World Peace, Antawn Jamison and Robert Sacre.

And yes, it's true that wife Vanessa showed up at her courtside seat in Anaheim just before Kobe got hot. He actually didn't make a shot until she arrived late in the second quarter.

Waiting fot intuitivelOne to chime in on this :man10:
kenzo

Postby Finwë on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Texas Lakers Fan, preseason games RESULTS aren't important, but the games themselves are. Why? Because they are effective ways for a coaching staff to start getting your team together, your system & your rotations down.
They should be a useful coaching experience if the games were approached the right way. Mike Brown, sadly, hasn't.

To specify on some ways he's not exploiting the benefit of having preseason games:

-he gets one of the concepts down, which is "let me see what some of my players can offer", but he doesn't get how to implement it correctly. Let me explain: Mike Brown may say "I'm going to try Chris Douglas-Roberts tonight". The idea, at least it should be, is that he's going to play CDR in similar situations as the ones he'd face during the season, and see how he does. That would mean, from a rotation standpoint, to have him play with a lineup that includes bench players like him, but also includes at least 1-2 starters, since there will be no instances except garbage time (which is essentially irrelevant) where the lineup will consist of 5 bench guys. That's the idea, or like I said, that's what the idea should be. The actual implementation: CDR playing out there without any starters on the floor, not even our best bench players most of the time (Jamison & Hill), with no one to command sufficient defensive attraction in order to exploit breakdowns. So what do we see? We see CDR, but not in a relevant situation; we see how he'd do if for some reason Brown decided to take out all of the starters, and put in a horrible lineup that didn't even include our best bench players. Like I pointed out, the only situation that'd be is garbage time, no way that's happening in actual games.

-Rotations. I get the idea of trying out different guys (though it has to be implemented correctly), but as a coach you NEED to at least start working on defining your players' roles & rotations. He hasn't done anything of the sort. He's played completely different lineups, with players taking on different roles not just game to game, but quarter to quarter.

-System. Despite doing a pretty decent job at implementing the new offense and it's variants, he's IMO making a mistake: not working on (during games) exploiting the abilities of particular lineups. For example, even though Howard hasn't played a game yet, we have seen little to no sequences that feature Pau as the main guy on the post, despite the fact that he'll probably get some chances at playing the 5 with the bench unit when Howard is sitting. Most of the time, it's Sacre the one who's getting the touches in the post. That's understandable from the standpoint that he's filling the Howard role and you need to get the other guys accustomed to the system knowing that soon that won't be Sacre but Dwight. I get that, but I think you can do that and still try and give Pau some more looks on the block. The few times Pau was posting up were more a result of a deviation from the offense and Nash or Kobe running a little post up for Pau. I didn't think that was enough.

I'm not saying Brown is responsible for the team being blown out, that's actually mostly about our guys not playing very hard and us missing some key guys that not only contribute individually but who are key pieces to the system working. What I'm criticizing Brown for is not taking advantage of these preseason games and not making real progress. I hope the next 4 games we start seeing a somewhat similar team to the one that will end up playing the real games, because consistency and chemistry don't just happen.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby intuitivelOve on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:09 pm

JSM wrote:
Ramona Shelburne of ESPN wrote: Kobe Bryant was busy scoring 31 points in 29 minutes of the Los Angeles Lakers' 114-80 exhibition loss to the Utah Jazz on Tuesday night at the Honda Center.

The New York Yankees' 2-1 loss to the Detroit Tigers in Game 3 of the American League Championship Series was a world away. But the struggles of his friend Alex Rodriguez were not.

"We spoke a couple of days ago," Bryant said of Rodriguez, whom he befriended on the set of a commercial a few years ago. "You can only control what you can control. You go out there and do the best job you can. If they take you out of the lineup, it's really on you to be a good teammate and support the other guys, which he's good about doing."

But that's not exactly what Bryant said when he called Rodriguez, who was benched for Game 3 on Tuesday night because he's hit .143 in the ALCS and .130 in the playoffs with no RBIs.

No, that conversation went more like this:

"I just say to him, 'You're Alex Rodriguez. You're A-Rod. 'You're one of the best to ever do it,' " Bryant said. "I think sometimes he kind of forgets that and wants to try to do the right thing all the time. Which is the right team attitude to have. But other times you really have to put your head down and say, 'Hell with it' and just do your thing.

"Hopefully the next game they'll kind of give him a chance, maybe put him back at third and let him respond to the pressure, which I think he'll do."

Although both are among the best to ever play their respective sports, Bryant and Rodriguez would seem to be very dissimilar.

"We're different," Bryant said. "But you're talking about, 'He's one of the best to ever play.' I think really the difference is, sometimes he forgets he's the best. ... Where, I don't."
Bryant laughed at the self-deprecating comment, then continued on to explain how the two men are in some ways the same.

"We know what it takes to get to that level," he said. "The consistency, the sacrifice, the work ethic, the constant scrutiny. that's something we all have in common, from golf to cycling to swimming to basketball to baseball."

just saw Arod interview on ESPN, I don think he appreciated Kobe's comment. lol he said "i have tremendous confidence in my ability."
intuitivelOve

Postby intuitivelOve on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:15 pm

kenzo wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:

Waiting fot intuitivelOne to chime in on this :man10:

Kevin Ding needs a life. Vanessa arrived in the second quarter and Kobe went off in the 3rd. smh..but anyway, Vanessa knows Kobe might get that championship this year...you know she "certainly cant be with someone who cant win rings" LOL SMH@Kobe!!! :man10: :man11: :man10:

Another positive sign for Kobe Bryant's marriage -- the NBA star took his estranged wife Vanessa out on a romantic lunch date today ... and they totally SPLIT A SANDWICH & SOUP COMBO MEAL!!!

The two rolled in to the PDM Bakery and Cafe in Newport Beach, CA this afternoon looking and acting very coupley -- despite the fact their divorce is still pending.

Sources tell us ... Kobe and Vanessa split the Tuscan chicken sandwich (served hot) and tortilla soup combo meal -- and washed it down with a pair of iced teas.

We're told the Bryants hung out at the restaurant for about an hour ... and couldn't have been nicer.

Vanessa filed for divorce back in December ... but it seems like they're all but reconciled these days. Not only did Vanessa support Kobe in London during the Olympics, she also attended the Lakers pre-season game last night.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2012/10/17/kobe-brya ... z29bZ4g434

http://www.tmz.com/2012/10/17/kobe-bryant-and-vanessa-lunch-date-newport-beach-pictures/
intuitivelOve

Postby last stand on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:16 pm

intuitivelOve wrote:just saw Arod interview on ESPN, I don think he appreciated Kobe's comment. lol he said "i have tremendous confidence in my ability."

everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Finwë on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:17 pm

Yeah it's Kevin Ding who needs a life

:man10:
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:32 pm

How in the world did you know that she got there in the 2nd instead of 3rd? I'm really concerned...

And that TMZ thing sounds just as weird...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:32 pm

Finwë wrote:Yeah it's Kevin Ding who needs a life

:man10:

everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry