Kobe Thread: Bucher- Kobe = Father of Team USA Success p.819

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: ten 30pt game streak

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:10 am

How has he been so efficient but now shooting so poorly? It's like he's pulling crappy shooting games out of his behind now. Oh well all good things must come to an end I guess.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Jellincon on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:11 am

I liked his effort on D. He guarded Durant and Westbrook well but they were just hitting some tough shots over him anyways.
Jellincon

Postby odom1year on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:33 am

Jellincon wrote:I liked his effort on D. He guarded Durant and Westbrook well but they were just hitting some tough shots over him anyways.

Durant showed he's the best player in West with top efficient performance.
odom1year

Postby Armani on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:09 am

Kobe is not (solely) responsible for the Lakers' struggles. In fact, I'd list the inability of Howard to erase the roster's defensive weaknesses, the crazy injury situation, and Gasol's deterioration, in that order, as the primary reasons for failure on the court. But Kobe is the only person who can ruin Kobe Bryant's historic season, because he is the only one who can invalidate its merits. And Kobe Bryant's defense is completely invalidating his unprecedented offensive success.

To call Kobe Bryant's defense this season bad is to call the Pacific Ocean big, or the sun hot. He hasn't just been bad and he's not just a liability. His presence on the defensive end of the court has actually become a detriment, in the truest sense of the word. And the worst part? He's not failing to play defense. He has willingly decided that he no longer needs to try.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2013 ... ric-season

That is some of the worst defense I have seen. :man10:
Armani

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:27 am

It's obvious he hasn't been trying on D ... it doesn't set a good example at all but of course , as everything else , it's 100% MDA fault

Anyways at this point of his career , he's just a great scorer but doesn't affect the game in others aspects as he used to ... basically he's Carmelo Anthony right now
wcsoldier81

Postby Finwë on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:07 pm

His D hasn't been good overall and he's had some really bad stretches in certain games, but to call it "some of the worst defense I have seen" is a total exaggeration..
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Pig Miller on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:35 pm

i mentioned this maybe a week ago when kobe was defending cp3, but i think kobe needs to play on the ball more.

that way, there's no more cheating on his part, and nash can hopefully play a guy that will just shoot corner 3s.

no one is going to stop westbrook or cp3 or parker, but kobe can help eliminate some of the easy buckets on the pick and roll
Pig Miller

Postby thkthebest on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:37 pm

I'm not sure why that's an exaggeration because he really is playing some of the worst defense I have ever seen.

On defense, he's like a guard version of Amare Stoudemire.
thkthebest

Postby SK8 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:42 pm

chris palmer ‏@ESPNChrisPalmer
Kobe just laughed when I asked about Kyrie Irving's one-on-one challenge.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Jellincon on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Pig Miller wrote:i mentioned this maybe a week ago when kobe was defending cp3, but i think kobe needs to play on the ball more.

that way, there's no more cheating on his part, and nash can hopefully play a guy that will just shoot corner 3s.

no one is going to stop westbrook or cp3 or parker, but kobe can help eliminate some of the easy buckets on the pick and roll

This is why I believe he at least gave some type of effort on D last night. For a good chunk of the game he was guarding either Westbrook or Durant. Because of that he was more locked than usual on that end of the floor.
Jellincon

Postby ojdidit123 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:51 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:
chris palmer ‏@ESPNChrisPalmer
Kobe just laughed when I asked about Kyrie Irving's one-on-one challenge.

I'll bet you Kyrie probably laughed when he saw us on the schedule too wonder which one matters more.

I don't want to see anything but disgust and rage on Kobes face untill they right the ship or the season ends. He needs to quit the zen act and go wild on this Laker squad in the press Shaq style. Everyone outside of Nash,Metta, and Hill and I do mean everyone on this roster deserves a public ripping to shreds. Howard first and most seeing as he'll probably leave anyway and if his health is the problem then to hell with him don't want more players that are shells of their former selves leading the team
ojdidit123

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:51 pm

better shoot better and play better d on sunday. its now or never and he's gotta lead his team on the defensive end first. him and metta have to be on the same page and lead their team that way. offense will be hard without dwight and pau but defense will win us games. look at the bulls without drose totally destroying the knicks.

sucks that EVERY team plays up to us and would rather give it their all to us and lose their next game
Ariza3

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:57 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:It's obvious he hasn't been trying on D ... it doesn't set a good example at all but of course , as everything else , it's 100% MDA fault

Anyways at this point of his career , he's just a great scorer but doesn't affect the game in others aspects as he used to ... basically he's Carmelo Anthony right now

:man10: :man10: :man10:

Kobe is putting up some of the best numbers of his career.

30 points, 5 assists, 5 boards, 47 FG%, 35 3PT FG%, and a 24 PER.

Saying he's one dimensional is utterly ridiculous.

thkthebest wrote:I'm not sure why that's an exaggeration because he really is playing some of the worst defense I have ever seen.

On defense, he's like a guard version of Amare Stoudemire.

This is also utterly ridiculous as well. Kobe's defense has been subpar, but saying he's the guard version of Amare I mean really people?
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby ojdidit123 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:01 pm

Kobe is putting up some of the best numbers of his career.

30 points, 5 assists, 5 boards, 47 FG%, 35 3PT FG%, and a 24 PER.

Saying he's one dimensional is utterly ridiculous.

Umm all you did there was argue for the one dimension excuse by putting up his offensive numbers. For the most part this year he has sucked defensively watching the ball and not his man and in turn giving up easy shots but the whole team has sucked on defense so its tough just to blame Kobe but aside from a few key performances in one on one d matchups he has been subpar at best
ojdidit123

Postby JGC on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:37 pm

That was a good write up. This happens consistently in every game. It's not like he has cherry picked a single instance.

The article thought the second one was worse, but I actually thought the first one was the worse of the two. I mean he was right .. Kobe didn't move at all.

The best part was when Manu was actually dunking the ball, while Kobe has his hands on his knees, bent over, watching, in the same spot he was at the start of the play! LOL
JGC

Postby JLaker17 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:07 pm

We need defense, not only from Kobe, but the entire team...
JLaker17

Postby nolQQkpass on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:27 pm

What bothers me is that kobe is making it worse by doing all so much interviews, keeping nothing in house.. just like when he told vanessa that shaq cheated on his wife and then vanessa told shaqs wife.. that pic of kobe vs dwight with dantonio in the middle blows my mind
nolQQkpass

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:43 pm

:shaq1:
D.B. Cooper

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:48 am

Sam Amico ‏@SamAmicoFSO
Mike D'Antoni says season starts tonight. And Kobe will defend Kyrie. Lakers-Cavs primer. http://tinyurl.com/bmadwfc
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Armani on Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:56 am

Finwë wrote:His D hasn't been good overall and he's had some really bad stretches in certain games, but to call it "some of the worst defense I have seen" is a total exaggeration..

Uhh, no. His D is so weak that Pop specifically exploits his D with the game on the line. Seriously, he's terrible, and not going to improve. He's turned into an SG version of Steve Nash on that end.

In short, we have the best offensive and the worst defensive backcourt in the NBA. :man10: :man6:
Armani

Postby KB24 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:05 am

Kobe is starting to pile up crappy shooting games...its a signal that his legs are starting to fade.

Whether he makes 15 of 30 shots or not...for the sake of the team and for the sake of our rhythem it would make sense if he would make a bigger effort to get others involved rather than bail them out himself because longterm...this never works in order to win the championship.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:09 am

KB24 wrote:Kobe is starting to pile up crappy shooting games...its a signal that his legs are starting to fade.

Whether he makes 15 of 30 shots or not...for the sake of the team and for the sake of our rhythem it would make sense if he would make a bigger effort to get others involved rather than bail them out himself because longterm...this never works in order to win the championship.

yep his "poor" FT shooting lately may be an indication too ...
wcsoldier81

Postby cthroatgtr on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:09 am

As on poster suggested, Kobe on ball is better than Kobe off ball. Under PJ he often would roam on defense by design. The problem is now with the team having no defensive structure he can't afford to roam. It doesn't help he is in his 17th season and has very little lateral quickness anymore.
cthroatgtr

Postby Armani on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:32 am

cthroatgtr wrote:As on poster suggested, Kobe on ball is better than Kobe off ball. Under PJ he often would roam on defense by design. The problem is now with the team having no defensive structure he can't afford to roam. It doesn't help he is in his 17th season and has very little lateral quickness anymore.

Agreed... on the ball he's still not bad. I liked what he was doing on Westbrook last game, it's just that Westbrook nailed some tough shots.

Off ball, though... yikes.
Armani

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:16 pm

Please be a sign of things to come....

Kamenetzky Brothers ‏@KamBrothers
Happy to hear Kobe talk about cranking up HIS defensive intensity w/the hope it trickles down. To me, that's the #1 key to improved D. AK
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion