Kobe Bryant Discussion:#3 All Time!

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: 4 straight games shooting over 50%

Postby kenzo on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:41 am

King of Clutch wrote:kobe at 26.4. melo at 26.8. Kobe on 57% Shooting though. While melo is at 45%. Kobe at 5.5 rpg, and 5.2 apg as well. Melo at 7rpg, and and 1.5apg. I think kobe has been the mvp of the league so far. Especially when u factor in his his age, and efficiency numbers. Only thing holding him back is the teams record...

We all love Kobe but there can only be one MVP and it's...
ESPN wrote:It's early, but LeBron James has managed to take his game to new heights this season.

Somehow, LeBron James just keeps surprising us.

Now in his 10th season in the NBA (yes, it's normal to feel a sudden rush of oldness), James continues to evolve as a basketball player. Coming off a year in which he won MVP, Finals MVP and an Olympic gold medal, James hasn't become complacent with his game, and it appears the virtually unprecedented prosperity last season has only motivated him to raise the bar.

Here are three parts of James' game that he's elevated so far.

1. He's shooting 3s like Ray Allen.

First, a little story: Several of the team's finest shooters would participate in a shooting contest every day after practice during the season. This has been a daily ritual for years now, but Allen's presence raised the stakes for Miami's sharpshooters such as Mike Miller, James Jones, Shane Battier, Mario Chalmers and other ambitious players.

So, one day after a long shooting competition that wrapped up a preseason practice, Allen walked over to the waiting media huddle, wiped off his sweat with his jersey and began fielding questions.

Predictably, here was the first query: So, did you win the shooting contest?

Allen shook his head and laughed, "Nope. LeBron did, believe it or not."

This has happened a few times. Allen comes over to the media and he admits that James has beaten him in a shooting contest. Wait -- James consistently beating arguably the greatest 3-point shooter in a shooting contest? How is this possible?

I asked myself the same question late Monday night after watching James hit 3-point shot after 3-point shot against the poor Rockets. On the night, James scored 38 points with 15 of those points coming from beyond the arc. James is now shooting 52 percent (13-for-25) from downtown on the season, just shy of Allen's 54 percent rate.

When it comes to the 3-point shot, James has never enjoyed a hotter start. His previous high in 3-point percentage through eight games was back in 2006-07, when he shot 43.8 percent (14-for-32). This serves as a helpful warning sign, because that season, James shot 30.5 percent from downtown the rest of the way. It's a small sample size, indeed.

But it's worth watching as the season wears on, since this sort of efficiency is new ground for James. Put it this way: Guess how many 3-point shots James had made eight games into last season?

Zero.

2. He's rebounding like Dwight Howard.

James has never averaged eight rebounds per game over a full season. Right now? He's averaging 10. In fact, James is currently enjoying a streak in which he's registered at least 20 points and 10 rebounds in five consecutive games. His longest such streak before that? Three games.

So again, we're entering new territory for James, which seems unthinkable considering his decorated past. Actually, his rebounds per game understates his rebounding prowess this season so far. Due to a few blowouts this season, James has posted a career-low 34.5 minutes per game. If we look at rebound rate -- which answers the question "What percentage of available rebounds has LeBron collected while on the floor?" -- we find that James' 17.2 percent ranks higher than that of Tyson Chandler, Kevin Garnett, Blake Griffin and Marcin Gortat so far this season. Not bad.

James has apparently embraced playing bigger this season now that Chris Bosh has shifted to center. Though he hasn't displayed his post game more this season -- Erik Spoelstra promised after the Houston game we'd see more of it soon -- James has hit the glass with reckless abandon thus far.

To wit: You know who else has a 17.2 rebound rate this season? Dwight Howard.

3. He's taking care of the ball like ... well, no one.

What was more impressive last night: James had 32 points in the second half or he handled the ball that much without committing a single turnover all game? Tough to decide.

We've heard a lot about James looking more relaxed, playing care-free basketball and feeling more comfortable in his own skin now that he's been relieved of the "ring-less" burden. But the numbers back up the takes from body language experts out there.

On Monday night, James recorded 38 points, 10 rebounds and six assists without turning the ball over. You know how many times that's happened over the past decade? Four times. Two of those performances belong to James. The other two? Dirk Nowitzki and Vince Carter.

So James' performance last night was pretty rare in the annals of the NBA. But when we look at James' campaign this season, we find that his ballhandling efficiency is off the charts. Until data from 3D video tracking services such as SportVU become more publicly available, we'll have to just estimate how much James is controlling the ball offensively. To do that, we'll look at his shot and assist frequency and compare that to how much he turns the ball over. Not perfect, but you'll get the idea.

James is averaging 18.3 field goal attempts and 6.4 assists per 36 minutes this season. If we look into NBA history and pull up all the seasons in which a player has averaged at least 18 field goal attempts and five assists on a 36-minute basis, we come up with 72 times that it has happened. So basically we're looking at players who have "dominated" the ball as much as James has this season.

Who owns the lowest turnover rate in that group of 72 instances?

James, at 1.8 turnovers per 36 minutes.

The next two? World B. Free and Michael Jordan. The average player on this list turned it over three times every 36 minutes. James is registering a rate almost half that so far.

It's early. Eight games early. But so far, James has never looked this good this early in the 3-point shooting, rebounding and turnover columns in his career.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/miamih ... bron-james

This is getting hilarious. Like someone already said, LeBrons name is already engraved in the 2013-2020 MVP awards :man9:
kenzo

Postby King of Clutch on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:53 am

kenzo wrote:
King of Clutch wrote:kobe at 26.4. melo at 26.8. Kobe on 57% Shooting though. While melo is at 45%. Kobe at 5.5 rpg, and 5.2 apg as well. Melo at 7rpg, and and 1.5apg. I think kobe has been the mvp of the league so far. Especially when u factor in his his age, and efficiency numbers. Only thing holding him back is the teams record...

This is getting hilarious. Like someone already said, LeBrons name is already engraved in the 2013-2020 MVP awards :man9:

lol wow. ridiculous. I just can't wait until lbj's athleticism fades. lol
King of Clutch

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:58 am

"I think it was a great call because Kobe always has a tendency to stay in the paint," Parker said. "They think maybe it’s a play for me or for Timmy."

Here's where it gets a bit interesting.

Duncan moved to set a down screen for Green on Bryant, and Green sprinted out to the right wing, following a path along the baseline side of the screen.

Watching the play live, the actions looked picture perfect. Duncan has set that screen a million times and does it as well as any big man alive. But after the game, Duncan insisted on setting the record straight.

"Honestly, the play was called, the play was run great -- and I missed a screen," Duncan said. "Kobe faked me off of one side. I went to that side. He came up the inside. I didn't actually hit him."

A review of the video confirms Duncan's confession, but Green was quick to cover for his future hall-of-fame teammate.

"[Duncan] didn't miss a screen." Green said. "He just couldn't find the man who was guarding me (Kobe Bryant) because [Bryant] was kind of roaming a little bit. [Bryant] shot the gap."

Listen to Parker and Green, and it almost sounds as if the Spurs were targeting Bryant because of his propensity to rove in the painted area.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/51477/51477

Yeah the Spurs are well aware Kobe is playing poor D
wcsoldier81

Postby kenzo on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:07 am

Pop > Phil :man9:
kenzo

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:21 am

Kobe does wander into the post does give up 3's that way. Fisher did the same thing. But it was a heck of a shot. Better than a Parker floater in the lane imo especially how bad (for the spurs i mean) they were shooting the 3 that game.

Kobe did have more assists than Parker. He's playing PG and SG and still putting up those kinds of numbers that efficiently. Playing the PG better than most starting PG's so far imo lol. 28/8/4/2TO (12-19 FG 2-4 3PT) is dam impressive for a SG. 38 mins is a lot, but he wasnt drive constantly, it was good shots and D for the most part.
Ariza3

Postby Ras Algethi on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:00 am

Kobe's % are pretty insane so far: 55% fg, 44% 3fg, 92% ft. 26.4/5.5/4.6
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Scnottaken on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:05 am

Ras Algethi wrote:Kobe's % are pretty insane so far: 55% fg, 44% 3fg, 92% ft. 26.4/5.5/4.6

ESPN wrote:LeBron's better!
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby kenzo on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:22 am

Scnottaken wrote:
Ras Algethi wrote:Kobe's % are pretty insane so far: 55% fg, 44% 3fg, 92% ft. 26.4/5.5/4.6

ESPN wrote:LeBron's better!

:man10: It is what it is. time to accept the "truth".
kenzo

Postby LooN3y on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:32 am

The Rock wrote:Man, Kobe was right on top of him. Give it to Green, he nailed it

really?

i think he had a lot of space. you know kobe isnt going to block that shot from that far away, shouldnt deter his shot at all.
LooN3y

Postby odom1year on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:11 am

Amazing shooting % by Kobe so far.
odom1year

Postby Phil XI on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:22 am

Kobe did not get a shot in the final 4 minutes. Something needs to be done about that.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:41 am

and if you have told me we we're 3-5 with Kobe posting these crazy numbers, I wouldn't believe you..

What a waste
wcsoldier81

Postby trodgers on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:57 am

That LeBron article is ludicrous. Verbal fellatio. Consider...

Exhibit A
Kobe is scoring like...well, nobody.
Kobe's 26.4 PPG is second best in the league. But he's doing it on 17.0 FG per game. No one else in the league average more than 23 PPG is taking that few FGs. That stat as a RING to it.

Kobe is stroking the three like Steve Nash.
Nash is a career 43% 3pt shooter. Kobe has hit 15 of 34 amazingly awesome, clutch threes. That's good enough for 44%. Consider this: 99.9% of the population hasn't ever even done that IN.ONE.GAME. Kobe's maintained through EIGHT!

Kobe is hitting FTs like Mark Price
Yeah, THAT Mark Price. The one with the best career FT% mark in history. Price shot 90.4%. Kobe's shooting 92%. Over 10,000,000 FTA, that works out to 160,000 points. No NBA player has ever scored 160k points. Cha-ching.

Kobe is hitting FGs like LeBron James
LeBron James, that behemoth whose 7'8" frame of pure granite muscle, whose gazelle like gait propels him at speeds roughly on par with a Cruise Missile, is shooting 55%. His ridiculously amazing displays of prowess, his textbook footwork, his simply unfathomable athletic advantage (think Godzilla vs. a gnat) allows him to DOMINATE anyone. Kobe's shooting even better. If your brain can comprehend that.

Or consider this one...

Exhibit B
LeBron Jame is shooting almost as well as Mike Dunleavy
--LeBron is elevating his game. He now has Dunleavy in his sights.

LeBron is rebounding like Kevin Durant
--Durant uses his powerful frame to snatch boards from every angle. LeBron is neck and neck with him for boards.

LeBron is shooting FTs like Antawn Jamison
--Jamison might be a semi-respectable volume shooter, but LeBron is shooting roughly on par with him.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:07 am

Phil XI wrote:Kobe did not get a shot in the final 4 minutes. Something needs to be done about that.

He took the right decision every possession and we scored on each of them (except the Metta miss)

... the only time he could have pulled up for the J was the possession Metta missed the 3... Kobe had a look at the long 2 but Duncan was not far from Kobe so he passed it to Pau...
wcsoldier81

Postby abeer3 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:21 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:

and if you have told me we we're 3-5 with Kobe posting these crazy numbers, I wouldn't believe you..

What a waste

agree. you'd hope that this hot streak of kobe's would have translated into more wins. not to be the eternal pessimist, but he's got a recent pattern of fading as the season wears on. so you'd hope the lakers would capitalized on his efficient play.

but hey, maybe i'm wrong and he'll be able to keep this up all year. really, there's no reason why he can't be super efficient with nash and howard in the lineup.
abeer3

Postby nthydro on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:32 am

His shot selection thus far is exceptional. He's being patient and really limiting the force shots. His passing has been on point the last few games as well. We talk a lot about running PnR with Nash but Kobe has shown he can also run it very effectively. I swear if Metta can at least hit his 3s at a respectable rate or if Pau was a true stretch 4, our PnRs would be brutal.
nthydro

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:40 am

abeer3 wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:

What a waste

agree. you'd hope that this hot streak of kobe's would have translated into more wins. not to be the eternal pessimist, but he's got a recent pattern of fading as the season wears on. so you'd hope the lakers would capitalized on his efficient play.

but hey, maybe i'm wrong and he'll be able to keep this up all year. really, there's no reason why he can't be super efficient with nash and howard in the lineup.

True on the pattern ... I see a major improvment in Kobe shots selection though so I don't think we'll see the usual big drop % wise as the season advances
wcsoldier81

Postby last stand on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:41 am

Kobe's having a great season But Lebron definitely deserves to be #1 in MVP voting right now

Playing less minutes than Kobe he's averaging 24ppg 10rpg 6apg shooting 55% and 52% from 3 and showed against Houston that he can still dominate when he wants

Best player in the league bar none. What Kobe's doing is amazing but it's amazing because of his age, what lebrons doing is amazing at any age
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby revgen on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:10 am

I know it's only been 8 games, but Kobe's defense is better this season than it was last season. He's taking less shots this year, and shooting more efficiently, which seems to be helping on the other end of the floor. Also, he's shooting 44 3pt%, if he keeps that up (I doubt it based on his history), it'll be his best 3pt% he's ever had in his career.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:11 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
abeer3 wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:

What a waste

True on the pattern ... I see a major improvment in Kobe shots selection though so I don't think we'll see the usual big drop % wise as the season advances

Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:21 am

Kobe is the best player in the league right now.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby therealdeal on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:42 am

:bow: :bow: :bow:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:47 am

Players to tend to revert into old trends as the season goes on, I just hope Kobe doesn't get any ideas about that. He's playing perfect basketball right now and the Lakers are playing much better as a result.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby v1n5anity on Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:56 am

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Kobe is the best player in the league right now.

No. LeBron James is. On offense it may be close right now, but defensively LeBron blows him out the water. Not to mention, his team is 6-2. This year's MVP is LeBron's to lose (again).

Remember a couple months ago before the Finals when you said Kevin Durant > LeBron? How'd that go again? :man10:
v1n5anity

Postby revgen on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:13 am

Kobe is shooting a high FT% so he doesn't have to secede his technical FT's to Nash this year. Kobe's been holding out on us all this time.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion