Kobe Discussion: Shutting it down; Puts Lakers FO on blast

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: ten 30pt game streak

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Kobe Bryant expresses self-doubt about end of career

The message popped up on Twitter near midnight, not long after the Lakers lost to the Clippers.

"Thoughts of self doubt...Am I done? Is this how my career will end?? I REFUSE to give in to these thoughts. #strongwill #countonchallenges"

It was from Kobe Bryant. He didn't step back from it 12 hours later while talking to reporters after the Lakers' practice Saturday.

"Everybody has it. I'm human just like everybody else," he said. "I think the way I react to it is probably a little different than anybody else. I don't feed into it. I'm able to face it. I'm able to deal with it. I'm able to roll through it."

Bryant added that he wouldn't "capitulate" to it. Nor was he worried that teammates would see his vulnerable side.

"I think it's good for them, especially for them to know I have those moments as well," said Bryant, who is under contract for one more season (and $30.5 million). "I'm sure they've had them. I don't know how they respond to them. In certain instances, maybe they let the self-doubt get the best of them. I refuse to let that happen."

The Lakers have been beyond vulnerable this season, falling to 15-17 after their 107-102 loss Friday to the Clippers.

Bryant was surprisingly calm afterward and again a day later. He even took a trip down memory lane, painful as it might have been.

It went all the way back to the breakup with Shaquille O'Neal after the 2003-04 season.

"You’re not going to find another duo like that ever," he said. "There are other duos that are better than us. [Scottie] Pippen and [Michael] Jordan. But you'll never find a duo with two dominant personalities. Myself and Shaquille, that was kind of once in a lifetime."

Why couldn't it last a lifetime? Why did it end amid discord and chaos after the Lakers lost to Detroit in five games in the 2004 NBA Finals?

"I'm amazed it went as long as it did. That just wasn’t going to last," Bryant said. "We’re both alpha males. It just wasn’t going to happen. What do you think would happen if you put Jordan with Wilt [Chamberlain]? Not going to happen."

Bryant admitted the Lakers left championships on the table after O'Neal was traded to Miami. But the breakup with O'Neal was inevitable, he said.

"The big thing for me was when he did an interview in ESPN magazine and he said that he felt like I couldn't win without him. I was fine up until that point," Bryant said. "I'd be damned if I retired and you [reporters] said I couldn't win without this guy. After that, the line was drawn in the sand."

Bryant said he deferred to O'Neal plenty of times while the Lakers won consecutive championships in 2000, 2001 and 2002.

"I sacrificed quite a bit in individual numbers and MVPs and NBA Finals [MVPs] and all this other stuff," Bryant said. "Phil [Jackson] used to come to us as a team and let me take over during the march to the Finals. Then in the Finals, which was mostly Eastern Conference teams that didn't have any centers, we went through Shaq. Those are things I was willing to sacrifice. And you have to have that sacrifice if that dynamic’s going to work."

Bryant wasn't willing to compare his time with O'Neal to his time so far with Dwight Howard.

"It’s not the same thing," he said. "That team it was me and Shaq and a bunch of role players who were excellent role players. Here it’s me, Dwight, Steve [Nash], Pau [Gasol]."

Meanwhile, Bryant continued to defend Gasol, who had two points and four rebounds in 27 minutes against the Clippers. Gasol would have sat out the entire fourth quarter again Friday if Howard hadn't fouled out with 1:07 to play.

"The ball should be in Steve's hands and should be in Pau's hands," Bryant said. "The ball used to be in my hands and we got Steve Nash, who's better at it than I am. He's an incredible facilitator. So is Pau. So we have the two best passers at their respective positions and they need to be the guys that have the ball the majority of the time. Myself and Dwight, we're finishers. I think that's how it should operate.

"I won two championships with [Gasol]. We won two championships playing through him, really. I know what he's capable of doing."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-kobe-bryant-self-doubt-20130105,0,5780891.story
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:56 pm

if only pau showed up as the guy Kobe remembers bc so far that guy is mia. I think Pau's role on this team needs to be that facilitator to Dwight at the elbow (horns) and when Dwight is out he needs to get his a** in the paint and do something. Dantoni Kobe Nash Dwight and everyone needs to tell pau this every second until he does it. bc until then he's useless to us honestly.

Kobe's loyalty is something rare to see but there comes a point where Kobe has to realize that Pau isn't that Pau anymore or doesn't try or want to be. Pau needs to man up and I think if Dwight doesn't play tomorrow than that will be the perfect game bc everything should be run through Pau in the post. he'll have no excuses if he doesn't. I would like to see Jamison start at the 4 and Pau at the 5 if Dwight is out. that would be bad defensively but were already bad defensively without Dwight anyways and if we take care of the ball and slow down the nugs transition points we could win

Pace yesterday was really good I thought. perfect mix of fast and slow to accommodate our age and lack of athleticism. that kind of pace would be perfect
tomorrow with Pau at the 5.
Ariza3

Postby havoc33 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:32 pm

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne

Mike D'Antoni on Kobe's 38 pts and D vs. CP3: "I've coached a while and played a while, and it was one of the best I've ever seen."

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne

@MedinaLakersNBA and I just had a long chat with asst. Dan D'Antoni who said Kobe's game vs. Clips was one of the best he's ever seen. EVER

Enjoy him while you can guys.
havoc33

Postby LOSLAKERS on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:50 pm

>One of the best performances Dantoni has seen
>Dwight upset Kobe didn't share enough
>ok.
LOSLAKERS

Postby trodgers on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:06 pm

LOSLAKERS wrote:>One of the best performances Dantoni has seen
>Dwight upset Kobe didn't share enough
>ok.

:man10:

Dwight's not accustomed to having someone who can have the ball all the time, let everyone know what he's going to do, and still be more efficient than Dwight.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:29 pm

Ariza3

Postby 24K GOLD on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:57 pm

Why is Kobe busy tweeting instead of working on his post game??? :disagree: :disagree: :disagree:
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby JGC on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:12 pm

Man that was an awesome dunk but, it came in a loss and just feels pathetic even celebrating it.
JGC

Postby 24K GOLD on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:13 pm

JGC wrote:Man that was an awesome dunk but, it came in a loss and just feels pathetic even celebrating it.

I can celebrate that dunk because Kobe played awesome, but what I'm furious about is Pau.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby Weezy on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:16 pm

JGC wrote:Man that was an awesome dunk but, it came in a loss and just feels pathetic even celebrating it.

A great dunk is a great dunk, it's one of the only bright spots from last nights game, especially that it was on that little punk flopper CP3If you played a Kobe's top 100 dunks video I doubt I could tell you who won the game in most of them, but they're still great moments to remember.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:16 pm

24K GOLD wrote:

I can celebrate that dunk because Kobe played awesome, but what I'm furious about is Pau.

Yeah but it still feels pathetic. It's like we've become the team that has nothing to celebrate but singular plays that occur in losses.
JGC

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:26 pm

24K GOLD wrote:

I can celebrate that dunk because Kobe played awesome, but what I'm furious about is our defense.

Fixed.
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby trodgers on Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:26 pm

24K GOLD wrote:Why is Kobe busy tweeting instead of working on his post game??? :disagree: :disagree: :disagree:

Typical Kome.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:49 pm

JGC wrote:
24K GOLD wrote:

Yeah but it still feels pathetic. It's like we've become the team that has nothing to celebrate but singular plays that occur in losses.

It's hard for me to even watch highlights after a loss. There's no joy in it
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby JGC on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:56 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
JGC wrote:
24K GOLD wrote:

It's hard for me to even watch highlights after a loss. There's no joy in it

Yeah. It's kind of a loser's mentality (not calling anyone a loser). I know a lot of Clippers fans, and they had to live for highlights because there was nothing else. I just don't think I could ever get enjoyment in watching any play from a game that was a loss.

We can't say it was a play that sparked the Lakers to victory or I mean, it is just a pointless play now really. It's like, reminiscing about an amazing time with an ex who later cheated on you or something. Only depressed people do that, and I'm trying not to be depressed about this team!
JGC

Postby The Rock on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:30 pm

Aint nothin wrong with that dunk and celebrating about it. Dude is battling out there like a warrior the whole season, his highlights or Dwights or any our guys highlights when theyre having a good game I always enjoy rewatching

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:36 pm

I don't see the point in dissecting it to that degree. Yes we take this sport very serious as die hard fans, but it's still mostly entertainment, and that play was entertaining. Yeah, we lost, but if I can only take one or two bright spots of entertainment way from that loss that dunk was one of them. I don't see it as serious as enjoying that play as having a loser mentality, it's ok to enjoy a fun play, even as Laker fans who expect more overall. I guess what i mean is I don't see the point in sucking every ounce of fun out of the experience even in a loss. If winning was truly all we cared about and not entertainment at all then we would have no point in continuing to tune into games this season as we just keep losing, unless we enjoy torturing ourselves. :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:37 pm

needs to be a better leader and get HIS team
going. he played great D against the clips (as best as he could on cp3) and he needs to do it every game
Ariza3

Postby Nashty Gal on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:42 pm

I don't understand why its so hard for other players to get themselves going while playing for the lakers and playing with Kobe Bryant. I'll never understand.

The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:47 pm

guess they all get complacent with the millions of dollars they'll get regardless of how they play. they worked so hard to get in the league and once they've played years and made so much money they don't have the motivation. unacceptable but that's how it is. Kobe is just a whole different animal.
Ariza3

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:52 pm

Janine Garcia wrote:I don't understand why its so hard for other players to get themselves going while playing for the lakers and playing with Kobe Bryant. I'll never understand.

Because some guys think "It's okay if I don't play hard or try to score, Kobe will save us at the end" :bang:
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby kobebryant248 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:31 am

kobe played great vs clippers had also an absolutely great dunk on the king of floppers cp3 . so for me it s ok to celebrate the dunk and kobe s game. there is nothing pathetic on it only haters would say that. despite the loss the dunk was awesome and i can watch over and over. so stop complaining over kobe and his dunk and focus on the real issues all of you haters. :mad1: :bang: :bang:
kobebryant248

Postby Finwë on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Weezy wrote:I don't see the point in dissecting it to that degree. Yes we take this sport very serious as die hard fans, but it's still mostly entertainment, and that play was entertaining. Yeah, we lost, but if I can only take one or two bright spots of entertainment way from that loss that dunk was one of them. I don't see it as serious as enjoying that play as having a loser mentality, it's ok to enjoy a fun play, even as Laker fans who expect more overall. I guess what i mean is I don't see the point in sucking every ounce of fun out of the experience even in a loss. If winning was truly all we cared about and not entertainment at all then we would have no point in continuing to tune into games this season as we just keep losing, unless we enjoy torturing ourselves. :man10:

Exactly. Before the season I thought this year I should make an effort to enjoy the GAME more and be a little less concerned with results. Of course I failed miserably at the latter, but I have had some success at the former.
For example, if we're down 10 to a team I do feel annoyed / depressed, but I can still find a turnaround fading jumper over a defender by Kobe or a picture perfect pull up J by Nash very beautiful and awe inspiring.
The same with that Kobe dunk, I can truly enjoy the play individually, knowing that in it's essence that's what the game is about, entertainment, displaying skills, playing together (though it's not showcased in that highlight, but it has in others, like the Nash to Pau to Dwight alley oop play).
The joy of the game doesn't stop existing just because the team you love isn't numerically ahead of the opposing team. There are great plays everywhere. Results only matter if the content has value.
It's the reason I would rather watch Kareem than Wilt. Both give you points that add to the result, but Kareem did it with a flair and showing of various skills that Wilt didn't; Wilt was just a freak of nature and many times he'd just overpower guys with his randomly obtained physical atributes. Not saying his play doesn't have value, but to me it's inferior to true skill and fundamental play. It's not JUST about points, it's also the way you get them. So in that way, if they played one and other in a game of 1 on 1, and Kareem lost, I would still have rathered cheer for Kareem, because he entertains the most (to me at least), he showcases the most skill and fundamentals, "purer" basketball if you will.

I can't let the end result keep me from enjoying the amazing things our guys (well, some of them) pull of on the court, because then the sport (to me) loses it's essence.

EDIT: uppon reading it my post looks like I'm all about style and don't care as much about winning. NO, that's not the case at all. The goal is to win, to win it all, uniting as a team and overcoming the challenges ahead.
All I'm saying that if the end result prevents us from enjoying the game itself, then the essence of it is lost.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Maluco Beleza on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:41 pm

where do the kobe fans rank that dunk? live I said top 10... its not super special but the moment and who is was on and how hard and amazing it was. prob top 20 for sure.

btw Kobe's dunk on D12 in 2004 was in a loss and everyone still talks about that........
Maluco Beleza

Postby JLaker17 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:48 pm

I still don't get how Kobe gets bashed for shooting 25 times as a SHOOTING guard, he is not a point guard. He is a born scorer, score first mentality. And its not like other players didn't get shots, the only one who truely lacks shots is Nash and its his own choice. He made 15 of 25, but somehow he is the main reason we lost? More like the only reason we were in it.
JLaker17

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion