Kobe calls out teammates in practice for being soft

Kobe calls out teammates in practice for being soft

Postby The Rock on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:57 am

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-nuggets-20121201,0,51758.story
Kobe Bryant is happier now. Slightly. Maybe.

He was in an angry mood at Thursday's practice, calling out his teammates for not being tough enough in games, The Times has learned.

It wasn't a long rant, maybe half a minute, but he left practice in a hurry, stalking off the court toward the end of it, irritated that the first team had lost to the reserves several times. He knocked some items off a table at midcourt on his way to the locker room and did not talk to reporters who were let in after his outburst.

"It was worth seeing," said a person at Lakers practice that day.

Maybe it worked. The energized Lakers beat the Denver Nuggets, 122-103, Friday at Staples Center.

Bryant's message wasn't light. It contained expletives and hammered at the same theme. The Lakers should not be playing this poorly. Everyone needed to be stronger emotionally and physically.

Can a tirade save a season? Too early to tell. Much too early. But it didn't hurt Friday for a team that improved to 8-8.

Bryant had 14 points and eight assists, his anger ebbing after several days of smoldering from the Lakers' 79-77 loss Tuesday to Indiana. He had 40 points that game while fighting flu-like symptoms but also had 10 turnovers.

He was less error-prone Friday (four turnovers), as were his teammates.

Dwight Howard was strong almost across the board, scoring 28 points with 20 rebounds and three blocked shots.

And — what's this? — the Lakers' reserves actually contributed. Big time.

Antawn Jamison was more than solid, scoring 33 points as the Lakers' backups outscored those of the Nuggets, 61-47. It was the first time a Lakers reserve scored more than 30 since Shaquille O'Neal had 33 in 1998 against Golden State.

"Just being patient," Jamison said, "and knowing the things I can do on the court would contribute to the team."

Jodie Meeks had 21 points, including five three-pointers in the second quarter, as he and Jamison became the first pair of Lakers off the bench to score more than 20 in a game since Bryant (25 points) and Nick Van Exel (20 points) did it against Utah in 1998.

As unhappy as Bryant was Thursday, Howard played with youthful exuberance Friday, smiling often and thoroughly enjoying a return to relevance after averaging 11.5 in the previous four games.

On one third-quarter play, he one-handed a dunk off a lob from Pau Gasol. Then he gazed in mock admiration at his right hand as he went back downcourt.

He made a three-pointer with 9.8 seconds to play, the second of his career, and laughed as he left the court. It was the Lakers' 17th three-pointer, tying the team record for threes in a regulation game (against Seattle in 2003).

Bryant was still tight-lipped after the game, if not dour. "If guys are too happy, I need to bring them back down to Earth tomorrow," he said with more than a slight edge.

As Steve Nash's left leg slowly tried to heal — 30 days already — Bryant had taken over the Lakers' offense, handling the ball almost exclusively with Nash and Steve Blake out.

"Kobe is the type of player that he's going to try to get you to the promised land, and if he feels like people are struggling, he's going to take over more," Lakers Coach Mike D'Antoni said beforehand.

D'Antoni also addressed Bryant's unhappiness since the Indiana game.

"I'm sure he wasn't happy about it. He felt like he was trying to get us the win," D'Antoni said. "I'd rather go to battle with something like that. He's got it tuned up as hard as you can go, and that's all you can ask for as a coach. Everybody should hold themselves accountable."

It undoubtedly tied into Bryant's anger Thursday. Whether it related to Friday's victory, the Lakers were all smiles afterward.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Kobe calls out teammates in practice for being soft

Postby trodgers on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:05 am

"I'm sure he wasn't happy about it. He felt like he was trying to get us the win," D'Antoni said. "I'd rather go to battle with something like that. He's got it tuned up as hard as you can go, and that's all you can ask for as a coach. Everybody should hold themselves accountable."

Shouldn't he be saying, "Kobe is a cancer"?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby kenzo on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:12 am

Dagger to my heart... :man9:
kenzo

Postby 432J on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:16 am

kobe should call out his teammates more often if performances we saw in last night's game is the end result

:man9:
432J

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:19 am

He's right , it's time to play with a sense of urgency ... it looks like the team has bought too much into the " it's a process , we will be great after the All Star break" crap and has accepted to be mediocre until then...
wcsoldier81

Postby Jellincon on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:33 am

This is probably our equivalent of the Heats team meeting when they started 9-8. Now watch us go on a 10 game winning streak. :man9:
Jellincon

Postby Legendary on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:15 pm

Not too hard to imagine Kobe turning over tables and storming out of practice, and everyone else standing there looking at him like he's crazy.
Legendary

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:00 pm

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby pound4pound1 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:22 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:He's right , it's time to play with a sense of urgency ... it looks like the team has bought too much into the " it's a process , we will be great after the All Star break" crap and has accepted to be mediocre until then...

yea, process or not, losses dont sit well with Kobe...especially if he doesn't see the hustle in teammates
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Weezy on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:05 pm

I like hearing about stuff like this, and you could kind of tell it was coming as he has not looked happy with these bad losses. Maybe it's not the leadership most players use, maybe it won't work or go over well with some players, but that's what the team needs to hear, the truth. And Kobe isn't just anybody, he's one of the greatest players of all time, won the 5 titles, been to 7 Finals, he obviously knows what it takes to win, what it takes to be a championship team and this team has been underperforming. So yes, maybe it won't go over well with everyone if he goes on a tirade like this, but they did win the game pretty easy last night, so maybe it woke up a few guys at least.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:15 pm

Legendary wrote:Not too hard to imagine Kobe turning over tables and storming out of practice, and everyone else standing there looking at him like he's crazy.

I see what you did there.
Last edited by JGC on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JGC

Postby ramsay13 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:24 pm

Teammates will probably get tired of that and just start to ignore(if it continues)
ramsay13

Postby Phat$haq on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:09 pm

Legendary wrote:Not too hard to imagine Kobe turning over tables and storming out of practice, and everyone else standing there looking at him like he's crazy.

If they did look at him like that then it would just proves Kobe's point.
Basketball is my religion. Staples Center is my temple. Kobe Bryant is my leader. Laker fans are my brothers.
Phat$haq

Postby Alcindor on Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:29 pm

ramsay13 wrote:Teammates will probably get tired of that and just start to ignore(if it continues)

Honestly I don't think that's a concern.
Alcindor

Postby sina on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:08 pm

Kobe is a great basketball player, with no doubt. But he isn't a as great as a leader IMO. I don't like the way he leads his team: too harsh, too much criticism but not thankful to his teammates. Skill-wise, he is too perfect: best scorer, best defender, best disher, biggest heart at will. He plays and takes over games by the way he wants and asks his teammates to follow him. If they can't, then he will blame them. That's the way he leads his team.
sina

Postby wallangong on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:07 pm

sina wrote:Kobe is a great basketball player, with no doubt. But he isn't a as great as a leader IMO. I don't like the way he leads his team: too harsh, too much criticism but not thankful to his teammates. Skill-wise, he is too perfect: best scorer, best defender, best disher, biggest heart at will. He plays and takes over games by the way he wants and asks his teammates to follow him. If they can't, then he will blame them. That's the way he leads his team.

the greatest expect greatness. if teammates can't deal with it, that's their problem. these are grown men getting paid millions. these guys should have more mental toughness than a JV team.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby last stand on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:12 pm

100 bucks says dwight was smiling when this was all happening
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby LooN3y on Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:18 pm

last stand wrote:100 bucks says dwight was smiling when this was all happening

what would he be smiling about? he didnt have the juice or the skill set to win it all with orlando.

in that year orlando went to the finals they beat a injured celtics team and beat an unclutch lebronze.

dude has no merits to say anything. dude cant do it on his own, hes a an embarrassement to great centers like hakeem, kareem, ewing, wilt, shaq.

what gives him to right to smile? if it was him as the 1st option and kobe wasnt on his team, we'd be calling for his head or asking to get another superstar.

dont get me wrong, i like howard being on this team, he is the best center in the league today, but that isnt saying much. it isnt like he was a shot creator in orlando at all, he got baby assists and the floor was spaced like no orther with 3point shooters from the 1 through 4.
LooN3y

Postby MC on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:57 am

I'm ok with Bryant doing this...... there are times where we do look way more lethargic than what should be accepted out there.

I just hope Bryant realizes that there is a good correlation between the amount of turnovers this team produces and the bad loses....... and he's a big part of that since he has to pick up the slack due to injuries at the PG position. This team has gone as the turnover #s have and the FT%s have.

I personally still think we will be a bit up and down until we get Nash back and dependable. This is a PG style of offense and we are currently playing with very low end PGs....... the turnovers should settle down into a more respectable and consistent # with Nash back....... than this team will be read to squeeze out whatever it indeed has.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby MC on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:02 am

sina wrote:Kobe is a great basketball player, with no doubt. But he isn't a as great as a leader IMO. I don't like the way he leads his team: too harsh, too much criticism but not thankful to his teammates. Skill-wise, he is too perfect: best scorer, best defender, best disher, biggest heart at will. He plays and takes over games by the way he wants and asks his teammates to follow him. If they can't, then he will blame them. That's the way he leads his team.

well..... Jordan wasn't exactly a care bear with his teammates over the years and he's considered one of the greatest winners/leaders in sport.

In the end you need multiple styles in a locker room..... you need a bad cop...... you need a good cop....

Everyone and their mother knows which one Bryant is and Jordan was................

I have no issues with it........... Nash is the balance to that...... we just need him back and practicing with the guys for his influence to gain a greater hold on this team this year.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby hollywood swinger on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:16 am

the posting artist formally known as west-magic-kobe 8/2004
hollywood swinger

Postby BDG on Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:24 am

Kobe is Malcolm. When Nash comes back, he'll be our Martin.

They'll balance each other out.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby JGC on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:12 am

MC wrote:

well..... Jordan wasn't exactly a care bear with his teammates over the years and he's considered one of the greatest winners/leaders in sport.

In the end you need multiple styles in a locker room..... you need a bad cop...... you need a good cop....

Everyone and their mother knows which one Bryant is and Jordan was................

I have no issues with it........... Nash is the balance to that...... we just need him back and practicing with the guys for his influence to gain a greater hold on this team this year.

Both MJ and Bryant are considered on-court leaders and I agree with that (although Kobe sometimes does more taking over than leading).

But neither made very good locker room or 'emotional' leaders and that's why sometimes you really want a guy like Derek Fisher in your staff or team to, as you said, balance things out.

Nash could potentially be that guy as well.
JGC

Postby GoldenChocobo on Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:45 pm

Soft defense.
GoldenChocobo

Postby Finwë on Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:11 pm

That didn't work now did it?
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion