Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Kobe Discussion: Klapper video, possible 6 months (646)

Postby JSM on Tue May 07, 2013 7:12 pm

Mark Medina of the LA Daily News wrote:This is the first on a series grading the Lakers’ efforts on their 2012-13 season.

Player: Kobe Bryant, Lakers guard

How he performed: 27.3 points on 46.3% shooting and 6 assists in 38.6 minutes per game in the regular season

The Good: So much for that whole theory that Bryant would face a physical decline. All it took was losing 16 pounds, stricter dieting and a sheer amount of Bryant’s will to ensure yet another productive season.

So the Lakers had little clarity on offense because of Dwight Howard’s injury limitations, Steve Nash’s long-term absence and Pau Gasol’s frustration in becoming a stretch four under Mike D’Antoni’s system. No problem. Bryant still lit things up with proficiency in November (27 points on 47.7 percent shooting) and December (33.8 points on 46.6 percent shooting).

So the Lakers griped about their offensive roles, including Howard (fewer touches) and Gasol (too much facilitating). No matter. Bryant and Nash switched positions. Nash became an off-ball shooter and Bryant morphed into a facilitator. The formula ensured Bryant’s highest assists totals (6) since the 2004-2005 season.

So Bryant is 34 years old, has logged 45,390 total minutes and suffered numerous injuries. Who cares? Bryant still attacked the basket enough to draw 626 foul shots, his highest since the 2008-09 season. Bryant threw down thunderous dunks over the likes of Atlanta’s Josh Smith, the Clippers’ Chris Paul and yes, both Brooklyn’s Gerald Wallace and Kris Humphries. Bryant scored at least 40 points in seven games and at least 30 in 28 other games. He also went on a six-game tear in April where he posted 30.5 points, seven rebounds and 7.5 assists in 45.2 minutes per contest.

And then there’s the most impressive feat of all. Even after suffering a season-ending torn left Achilles’ tendon, Bryant still managed to make two free throws to help secure the Lakers’ 118-116 win April 12 over Golden State on one foot. He then hobbled off the court, determined that he’ll overcome the latest challenge. As he showed in all of the 2012-13 season, Bryant has provided an extensive resume in defying the odds.

The Bad: Bryant’s sheer will came to crashing halt when he suffered a season-ending Achilles’ tendon. Outside medical experts agree with Lakers trainer Gary Vitti and Bryant’s personal trainer Tim Grover when they described Bryant’s torn left Achilles tendon as nothing more than a “freak injury.” But those experts also believe that injury remains more susceptible to happen if the body is fatigued and overused. In other words, the Lakers and Bryant should’ve scaled back his usage rate. It’s not exactly guaranteed Bryant would’ve stayed healthy had the Lakers scaled back his minutes. But there’s a stronger likelihood Bryant could’ve stayed in the playoffs had he and the Lakers showed willingness to ensure he plays no more than 42 minutes per game.

Unlike in past seasons, Bryant mostly struck a good balance this year between tapping into his scoring efficiency while maintaining team balance. He also struck a much more even keeled approach in staying relentlessly positive and providing positive reinforcement to Gasol. Yet, Bryant didn’t take the same approach with Howard. Some of this falls on the Lakers’ center’s willingness to take such criticism constructively, but there’s no denying that Bryant’s approach occasionally caused Howard to feel resentful.

Grade:

A. There’s really not much to nitpick in Bryant’s performance. His play served as a the lone highlight of an otherwise underachieving season. Bryant’s absence in the playoffs also reinforced that he was mostly justified in taking on such a large load despite the talent around him.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:13 am

:bow: @ OX1947 Someone give this man an award :bow:
Jazzygirl205

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:43 am

I definetely give myself credit for starting some ish with the Battier comment ..
wcsoldier81

Postby Basketball Fan on Wed May 08, 2013 6:25 pm

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/law- ... gets-messy

Law of Cards: The Kobe Byrant Memorabilia Auction Gets Messy
By Paul Lesko | May 08, 2013

The Battle of Kobe's Stuff is getting messy, and it's clear there will not be a quick resolution in the courts.

It started off with Goldin's lawsuit against Kobe in federal court in New Jersey. Goldin's motion for an injunction was set for May 14 (a few days after Mother's Day) and would determine whether or not Kobe's stuff was actually Kobe's mom's stuff and, hence, able to be auctioned off.

Kobe's lawyers, however, moved quickly, and filed a lawsuit against Goldin in state court in California. There, Kobe claimed the items are undoubtedly his, and he asked for an injunction to stop the auction. His attorneys were also able to get a hearing date in state court for May 10.

Goldin then filed papers with the state court, and got the case removed to federal court.

Legal translation: It's easy to move a case from state court to federal court. Really, just filing a paper does it. After being removed to federal court, cases can be remanded back…but that takes a little more time. Here, where both sides are jockeying for an earlier hearing, it's a useful strategy to make sure you're hearing goes first.

Goldin's removing the case certainly disrupted the May 10 hearing.

Kobe then filed his response to the first lawsuit in New Jersey, and argued 1) I don't have sufficient contacts in New Jersey to be sued here and 2) even if I can be sued here, I should win because it's my stuff!

When I read Kobe's mom's declaration contained with the first documents filed to start off this whole mess, I thought for sure Goldin would win. Then, I read Kobe and his wife's declarations that were just filed. Now I'm not so sure. Both sides' declarations in isolation (and without the ability for a lawyer on the other side to ask questions) are convincing, and when put together, they are irreconcilable.

So, what's that mean for the case?

It won't be resolved quickly.

First, the New Jersey court has to sort out whether or not it can even hear the case. And if it's not the right court to hear the case, that delays a final ruling more.

Second, even if the New Jersey court gets to the "meat" of the case, there are too many believable and inconsistent facts to wade through. That's bad for the auction going forward because a "slam dunk" is typically what's needed to get an injunction. Especially here where Goldin wants an injunction allowing it to sell these items to third parties. If a court messes that up, it'll be nearly impossible to track down those items, let alone retrieve them in their current condition.

In view of this, the court will want to rule on a complete record, after both sides have taken discovery (including depositions of all of the relevant witnesses). And all of those items that are up for auction, they're evidence. No court will let someone auction off evidence while a case is proceeding.

This is all bad news for Goldin and its auction. It's going to take months of discovery to determine who owns these items.

That's good for Kobe because months of discovery are expensive.

Kobe has already stated that these items are irreplaceable, so he's likely willing to spend more money than they are worth to make sure he keeps them. While they are priceless to Kobe, they do have a price for Goldin. They aren't running a business to lose money.

And since this case looks like it'll cost more than Goldin's price, it'll likely end before a judge addresses the "meat" of the case.

So, I'll go out on a limb and predict that this case will settle prior to a final judgment, and Kobe will likely retain his items.

For those interested in Kobe's mom's declaration, check it out in my first article on this matter. For those who want to see Kobe's position, here's his response, and here is his and his wife's declarations. See if you agree with me that all of the declarations are pretty convincing.

The information provided in Paul Lesko's "Law of Cards" column is not intended to be legal advice, but merely conveys general information related to legal issues commonly encountered in the sports industry. This information is not intended to create any legal relationship between Paul Lesko, the Simmons Browder Gianaris Angelides & Barnerd LLC or any attorney and the user. Neither the transmission nor receipt of these website materials will create an attorney-client relationship between the author and the readers.

The views expressed in the "Law of Cards" column are solely those of the author and are not affiliated with the Simmons Law Firm. You should not act or rely on any information in the "Law of Cards" column without seeking the advice of an attorney. The determination of whether you need legal services and your choice of a lawyer are very important matters that should not be based on websites or advertisements.
Basketball Fan

Postby escobar8 on Thu May 09, 2013 4:10 am

amazing video...

escobar8

Postby JGC on Thu May 09, 2013 7:58 am

OX1947 wrote:These win arguments that some of you people pull out of your yahoos drives me up the wall. Kobe lead smush parker, KWAmay Brown luke walton and Lamar Odom to within one rebound of beating the #2 seed. And more then likely would have beatin the Clippers in the second round and Kobe owned Dallas that entire year had they met in the WCF. Would coulda shoulda, ya but Kobe was the most valuable player in 2006.

And 2009, his team swept everyone, they won 65 games, he scored 61 in MSG, lakers were a 1 seed in the west and the Cavs won one more game then them in the useless east. Come on, give me a freakin break. Kobe's MVP's are sitting in a room that doesn't belong there for 2006 and 2009. Pure and simple.

Well, first, I think it's kind of unfair to be using postseason accomplishments for a regular season award.

Second, I do agree that Kobe was an MVP candidate because he simply had an amazing individual season. And for me, so spectacular, that I think it makes sense to overlook the medicore team record a bit.

Having said that, I do think there was one other equally viable candidate that year and that was Steve Nash. Remember, that season, he had no Amare Stoudemire the whole year. I think Amare played like 40 mins the entire season. Nash led that team to 54 wins, 1st place standing in the Pacific and a 2 seed in the West. So neither player had a lot of help but Nash did lead his team to a much better record and ultimately, the game is about winning (not why you couldn't) and so I think that was the difference there. (And if you want to include postseason success, Nash led an Amare-less team to the WCF that year as well). You get a few extra brownie points if you don't have amazing teammates around you but you get even more brownie points (and probably should) if you have success in spite of it.

So for me, there were two players that deserved it and I did want Kobe to win it because he had such an amazing year, but after all, the game is about winning and Nash did a better job of that and so I understand why he was the winner.

As for 2009, it's the same story. Two viable candidates. The voters are essentially the same as the season prior. I mean, I don't see how Lebron was not an MVP candidate that year. To me, it was him and Kobe and no one else. Why did Lebron win it? He did more, with less and put up ridiculous numbers while doing so. The second best player he had on that team was Mo Williams who is a nice player no doubt, but, not what you'd expect from a 66-win team coached by a guy who we all said was so bad as a coach that ANYBODY would be better. So what's the difference between 2006 Kobe and 2009 Lebron then since both players did a lot, with little? Wins. Bottom line. That too, was a year I wanted Kobe to win it, but I knew the other potential candidate was Lebron because of he was able to win a lot of games in spite of his inferior team (as opposed to, not winning a lot of games because of his inferior team).

You have to have a lot of wins. That's always been the case. That's what the game is all about. We might argue that wins shouldn't matter in the game (the same argument happens in baseball with the Cy Young award), or that stats should be favored over winning, or that having inferior teammates is more important than winning, and SOME arguments I do think hold water but at the end of the day, the league wants to promote winning and IMO, they should.

IMO, the reason Kobe doesn't have more MVPs has nothing to do with him being hated, or, him not being deserving. A lot of it has to do with bad luck so to speak. What I mean by that is just the timing of things. He was never going to win playing next to Shaq (although he was an MVP in our eyes for sure), and then you had Lebron enter the league to contend with. At the end of the day, it's the rings that really matter (because again, the game is about winning period) and no one can take those away from him.
JGC

Postby Basketball Fan on Thu May 09, 2013 7:09 pm

Well I'm not expecting him to spring for the Mother's Day Bouquet from 1-800- Flowers.....

KOBE BRYANT
Judge Shuts Down Memorabilia Sale ... For Now
EXCLUSIVE
A judge just gave Kobe Bryant a reprieve from his mother's attempt to sell his memorabilia ... by shutting down the sale ... at least for now.

TMZ has learned a judge issued a temporary restraining order against Goldin Auctions, prohibiting them from selling Kobe's jerseys, championship rings, trophies, and lots of other stuff until a full hearing can be held next Monday.

Kobe's mom claims her son gave her the stuff outright, but Kobe says his mom is just bitter because he wouldn't buy her an expensive house. He also says she stole some of the stuff from his house.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/05/09/kobe-brya ... z2Sqcl3Qg7
Basketball Fan

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu May 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Basketball Fan wrote:Well I'm not expecting him to spring for the Mother's Day Bouquet from 1-800- Flowers.....

KOBE BRYANT
Judge Shuts Down Memorabilia Sale ... For Now
EXCLUSIVE
A judge just gave Kobe Bryant a reprieve from his mother's attempt to sell his memorabilia ... by shutting down the sale ... at least for now.

TMZ has learned a judge issued a temporary restraining order against Goldin Auctions, prohibiting them from selling Kobe's jerseys, championship rings, trophies, and lots of other stuff until a full hearing can be held next Monday.

Kobe's mom claims her son gave her the stuff outright, but Kobe says his mom is just bitter because he wouldn't buy her an expensive house. He also says she stole some of the stuff from his house.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/05/09/kobe-brya ... z2Sqcl3Qg7

#Winning
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu May 09, 2013 11:58 pm

sad what greed does to families.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Finwë on Fri May 10, 2013 12:25 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:sad what greed does to families.

yeah
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri May 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Battle Tested20

Postby Basketball Fan on Fri May 10, 2013 6:17 pm

Have to admit there's a lot of truth to this article and I don't even like Whitlock

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/lake ... day-051013

Kobe's feud to ruin Mother's Day
Kobe Bryant is more likely to kiss off his mom Pamela on Sunday.

We wonder why athletes abuse alcohol, self-medicate with marijuana, coke, groupies and hookers, extend/enhance their careers with PEDs, go broke shortly after they retire, and then we learn that Kobe Bryant and his mother are embroiled in a nasty lawsuit over his childhood memorabilia.

She wants an “additional” home in Nevada and a $450,000 down payment. Kobe countered with a quarter of a million. She found an auctioneer willing to pony up the $450k and a million more dollars in exchange for Kobe’s high school jerseys, trophies and championship rings. Kobe filed suit.

Kobe vs. Pamela isn’t quite Kramer vs. Kramer — and thankfully Kobe has yet to take a page from O.J. Simpson and hire armed goons to re-steal his memorabilia — but hashing things out in the People’s Court of public opinion is no way for mom and son to spend Mother’s Day weekend.

“I never told my mother that she could have my personal property, let alone consign it for public auction,” Bryant stated in his court filing.

Over Twitter, the Black Mamba expressed his angst about the situation.

This is the price of fame and wealth in America. We all think we want to pay this price. Many of us think these problems would never strike our families. We’re wrong. The love of money and material possessions, coupled with envy, are oftentimes stronger than the unconditional love a mother initially bestows upon her children.

Kobe Bryant was a child when he landed in Los Angeles straight out of a Philadelphia high school. He’s now living the adult life of a former child actor. He’s had trouble with the law, trouble with his wife, trouble with his Lakers co-stars, and now he and his parents are having trouble over how he spends his money.

According to an ESPN.com report, Kobe has showered his parents with millions of dollars throughout his 17-year professional career, but Mr. and Mrs. Jelly Bean Bryant have their hearts set on a new, plush, additional home in Nevada.

In all likelihood, Kobe Bryant can afford to buy his parents an additional home in Nevada. But that does not mean he should. Professional sports are filled with stories about the athletes who thought they’d never go broke going broke. Athletes do not go broke alone. Generally speaking, the people they love the most blow through 25 percent of the money.

Worse than that is the awful feeling an athlete gets when he realizes his family members feel entitled to his money. It’s that feeling that can set off depression, fuel chemical dependency and normalize personal relationships founded on finances.

Why do athletes fall in love with gold diggers? Because many of the people they loved before becoming rich have turned into platonic gold diggers. When you come to believe everyone around you is digging for gold, you accept gold digging as a flaw no different from snoring, smelly farts and a partying and whoring phase in college. No one’s perfect.

Moms are supposed to be perfect. They’re supposed to always have your back and be the one person you can trust without suspicion. Fame and money quite often change all of that.

Twenty years ago, she was Pamela Bryant. Once Kobe revealed himself to be a big-time NBA prospect, Pamela got a new name — Kobe’s mom. Black Mamma is famous and wealthy and must be adorned with and in possession of all things Oprah believes famous and wealthy women must have, including additional homes.

Kobe has a wife, Vanessa. She has a new name, too — Kobe’s wife. Kobe’s wife has parents, too, and they have new names, also — Kobe’s mother- and father-in-law. All of these people are famous and wealthy and must be adorned with and in possession of all things Oprah believes famous and wealthy people must have.

Again, in all likelihood, Kobe can provide them all what they need to feel rich and famous. But it ain’t cheap. And it’s tiresome, a major hassle and a drain on his Zen.

The same demands are on the non-superstar athlete. Pamela Bryant isn’t the only mother of a professional athlete hoping to receive a sizable down payment on an additional home this Mother’s Day.

What’s unique here is that Kobe had the balls to say no and demand the return of his property. He might regret it on Sunday, and he’ll likely be vilified by people dreaming of being a rich and famous athlete. But Kobe made the right call.

When your parents act like spoiled, rotten brats, you should show them the same tough love they showed you as a child. Sit them in a corner and make them take a timeout.
Basketball Fan

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Fri May 10, 2013 7:27 pm

Aww I hate seeing families be torn apart :( Maybe it's because my family is like a atomic bomb. I thought he and his family reconciled, I guess there is still some bad blood there.
Jazzygirl205

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri May 10, 2013 10:49 pm

I agree with that article.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby JGC on Sat May 11, 2013 8:16 am

Good for Kobe for taking a stand. This is why it always bothers me when people say some fine is peanuts compared to what an athlete makes. They feel it whether if it is a $25K fine or a $50K fine even if they make $30M a year.

So many athletes are taken advantage of by friends, family and their own stupidity. Good for Kobe for being seemingly fiscally responsible.
JGC

Postby Rooscooter on Sat May 11, 2013 4:22 pm

Kobe's parents are idiots.... Another new home? Really? When so many are in need.... :disagree:

Garbage...... Cut them loose and get your stuff.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
Rooscooter

Postby The Rock on Sat May 11, 2013 11:54 pm

KOBE at a little more than 3 weeks after Achilles Surgery. Stitches deep in tendon are locking the 2 ends of tendon together. 3 wks to go.

KOBE benefitting from expediting rehab that will minimize joint stiffness and muscle atrophy.Part 3 of the 4 reasons he will be ready sooner

KOBE's tendon tear was Acute. Here the scar will remodel over time to normal. PAU's tear was chronic NO chance for remodel to normal!

When Kobe returns it will be his burst and explosion that will take time. He will have a Stronger tendon than before.

From Dr. Klapper

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby kenzo on Sun May 12, 2013 1:39 am

The Rock wrote:
KOBE at a little more than 3 weeks after Achilles Surgery. Stitches deep in tendon are locking the 2 ends of tendon together. 3 wks to go.

KOBE benefitting from expediting rehab that will minimize joint stiffness and muscle atrophy.Part 3 of the 4 reasons he will be ready sooner

KOBE's tendon tear was Acute. Here the scar will remodel over time to normal. PAU's tear was chronic NO chance for remodel to normal!

When Kobe returns it will be his burst and explosion that will take time. He will have a Stronger tendon than before.

From Dr. Klapper

GREAT news :jam2:
Also, agree with everything Roos said 100%. F*** 'em
kenzo

Postby karacha on Sun May 12, 2013 6:59 am

At first I thought she wanted to buy another house that costs $450k. Even then I asked myself - "why do they need another house anyway?".... then I realized that $450k amount is a DOWN PAYMENT! F- that.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Basketball Fan on Sun May 12, 2013 9:46 am

Basketball Fan

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun May 12, 2013 9:09 pm

:man10:
Battle Tested20

Postby kenzo on Mon May 13, 2013 5:24 am

Well... Shaq's feet are huge.
kenzo

Postby Basketball Fan on Mon May 13, 2013 3:12 pm

Well someone is lying who is anyone's guess.

Kobe Bryant's parents have turned their backs on their son -- claiming Kobe was LYING when he accused his mother of stealing more than a million dollars worth of his basketball memorabilia ... and putting it up for auction, TMZ has learned.

Kobe's mom and dad -- Pamela and Joe -- both filed sworn declarations in the legal dispute between Kobe and Goldin Auctions, the auction house planning to sell off the valuable stuff ... insisting Kobe willingly gave his mother the items in question ... and it's her right to sell them.

According to Kobe's dad, Kobe gave his mother the memorabilia over the years, telling her, "Here mom, these are for you." Kobe's mom insists she never took anything from him without permission.

Even Kobe's grandma has filed a declaration in support of Pamela.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/05/13/kobe-brya ... z2TClSGr66
Basketball Fan

Postby Doc Brown on Mon May 13, 2013 3:24 pm

"Here mom, these are for you."

And then you go and sell it?

Ungrateful.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby gcclaker on Mon May 13, 2013 3:37 pm

Very sad turn of events between Bryant and his parents. Always been a tumultous relationship from all accounts. It will be resolved but probably not amicably. My guess is that he entrusted them for their safekeeping with the exception of the duplicate 2000 championship rings he had made for them.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion