Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Kobe Discussion: Reevalutated in early Feb; #BrokenNotBeaten

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:18 am

"My brother made an announcement to the world that he is gay, but he is still a private person," Jarron Collins said. "It's not necessarily difficult. He's comfortable with who he is. He did not want to be in a situation where he couldn't control his message or when and if some picture was taken in this day in age of social media."

Sounds like Collins was probably being threatened by someone who had evidence and was going to out him so he took charge of the situation. Or maybe I watch too many soaps.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with what Kobe said. It's the truth. You can disapprove of homosexuality, but as a human being you shouldn't want kids to hurt themselves. If Collins' actions convince a few kids that they can be who they really are, then that's a good thing right?

I just want to get to the point where we're past this being news. Just like that Sam kid in the draft. A person's sexual preference shouldn't matter and I think the majority of our society doesn't necessarily care about a person's personal sexual preference. I want to get to the point where a gay person can play and not have to explain it to anybody. It's not our business anyway.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:12 am

therealdeal wrote:
"My brother made an announcement to the world that he is gay, but he is still a private person," Jarron Collins said. "It's not necessarily difficult. He's comfortable with who he is. He did not want to be in a situation where he couldn't control his message or when and if some picture was taken in this day in age of social media."

Sounds like Collins was probably being threatened by someone who had evidence and was going to out him so he took charge of the situation. Or maybe I watch too many soaps.

Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with what Kobe said. It's the truth. You can disapprove of homosexuality, but as a human being you shouldn't want kids to hurt themselves. If Collins' actions convince a few kids that they can be who they really are, then that's a good thing right?

I just want to get to the point where we're past this being news. Just like that Sam kid in the draft. A person's sexual preference shouldn't matter and I think the majority of our society doesn't necessarily care about a person's personal sexual preference. I want to get to the point where a gay person can play and not have to explain it to anybody. It's not our business anyway.

^^ Nice post, real.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:27 am

Thanks LJ. :jam2:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:04 pm

davriver290 wrote:I refuse to believe that the Lakers, one of the most richest basketball clubs in the world, has a medical staff so incompetent. There is just no way that LA isn't caught up with all the latest research/technology in medicine. Is there some secret potion or procedure or treatment that other ball clubs know that we don't? As I see it, there was two things. Bad luck, and the terrible coaching. By coaching, I mean giving heavy minutes to injured players, (kobe, Blake, Farmar, Gasol, Nash) and running players to the ground because of injury. So maybe not all of it is on Mike, Mitch could've signed some more bodies to keep everyone fresh. Its a combo of bad luck and just running players to the ground...

Xavier was playing PG for heavens sake... Then Meeks ran PG.. Then Kobe ran PG.... I just hear all this nonsense about our medical staff, and like I said before, I refuse to believe some other ball clubs with less money/resources/personnel, know more than the Lakers medical staff.

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:It's all about managing a player's playing time... Phil was a genius, our current coach and his predecessor are the exact opposite. It's not all about X and Os... it's keeping players fresh and away from injuries...When you prepare for war, you do not exhaust all your resources on a single battle. In other words, Brown and MDA are morons.

What these guys said.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby Ras Algethi on Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:25 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

^^ Nice post, real.

Seconded.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:57 pm

therealdeal wrote:Thanks LJ. :jam2:

:beer:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:23 am

Lakerjones wrote:

And Ras!
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:26 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:

And Ras!

:wave: :tongue1: :wave:
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:16 pm

:man10:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby BadCoaching on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:14 pm

The longer he's out the harder it will be to return at any type of competitive level again.. he's not all that old but he's played a lot of minutes. You don't just sit out hurt for an entire playoffs run/summer then all but a few games of another season and expect to return at a superstar level yet another 8 months later.. especially as deep as he is in his career. Hate to be a pessimist but it's hard not to be at this point.

Part of me thinks returning to this worthless season is a waste but another part thinks sitting longer than needed is even worse.
BadCoaching

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:35 am

:man10: :man10: :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby HighlyFavored on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:22 pm

LOL!
Kobe Bryant‏@kobebryant·2h
My collection of masterpieces just hit a crescendo of domination #madebykobe

HighlyFavored

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:36 pm

Yeah I could definitely see him sitting the rest of the year

Mario Solis ‏@MarioNBCLA 56m

While presenting his new shoe, @kobebryant said: Sit down, watch, relax. Next year it won’t be the same

Mario Solis ‏@MarioNBCLA 47m

On what the #blackmamba mentality means: @kobebryant “No matter what happens you’ll get it done! “ #lakers #kobe9elite #masterpiece

Mario Solis ‏@MarioNBCLA 28m

#kobebryant on his retirement: The end is coming up but it’ll be a hell of a run. #lakers

:man6: :man6:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Finwë on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:36 pm

I expect him back next season, not next year.
This brings me to the question, when media guys over there say a player's "done for the year", do they mean it literally or do they mean he's done for the season?
I'd expect it to be literal (because why not just say "done for the season") but most times the player actually comes back in the same year, the following season.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:07 pm

Kobe: “This year, we all know it’s been a real tough year for us right? So what I’d like everybody to do is to really just sit back and just absorb this year. Take it all in. Sit back and watch and listen and hear all the hate that’s being thrown at us and remember every person that’s kicking you when you’re down because next year it ain’t going to be this way.”
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:04 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:
Kobe: “This year, we all know it’s been a real tough year for us right? So what I’d like everybody to do is to really just sit back and just absorb this year. Take it all in. Sit back and watch and listen and hear all the hate that’s being thrown at us and remember every person that’s kicking you when you’re down because next year it ain’t going to be this way.”

Especially when you have a rookie Godzilla monster backing you up by erasing mistakes on defense, well I hope :man1:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby TheOp on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:36 am

Farmar
Kobe
Melo
FREE AGENT PF NOT NAMED PAU GASOL
Embiid

Contenders?
TheOp

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:43 am

Yes, and even Gasol as the power forward there won't hurt if Embiid turns out to be the player he ought to be. In fact Gasol would probably be at his best in years.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:34 am

Everyone already forget how bad Pau is at PF?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:42 am

^

Well, at least he defends them well. :man13: :man9:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby SK8 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:19 am

Kobe: "Next year it ain't going to be this way...Appreciate it now because revenge is sweet and it's quick."

I know Kobe is confident, but this time it's like he know that they will be good next year, revenge is sweet and it's quick, maybe he is informed about some moves that FO is trying to make this summer, but to make quick turnaround from being last in west to be contender in one year, i'm not sure, but if Kobe want from us to sit back and just absorb this year, that's what will be.
Already pumped for next season lol :man1:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:23 am

Doc Brown wrote:Everyone already forget how bad Pau is at PF?

:man10: Yeah and how much he loves that position
LTLakerFan

Postby kenzo on Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:40 am

If we win few more games, next season won't be much better than this one.
kenzo

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:27 pm

Just read in the L.A. Times we have a HELLACIOUS schedule coming up to finish the season. Not a whole lot to worry about.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... z2upqzpIlW

Lakers' record is bad, and schedule is about to get worse
Already lottery-bound at 20-39, Lakers face a rugged final stretch, with 19 games vs. West, nine against Spurs, Thunder, Clippers and Portland.

By Mike Bresnahan
March 1, 2014, 5:35 p.m.

Lakers Coach Mike D'Antoni and assistant coach Kurt Rambis recently had a conversation that went something like this.

Rambis: "Hey Mike.

D'Antoni: "Hey Kurt."

Rambis: "Want to hear something bad?"

D'Antoni: "No."

Rambis: "I'm telling you anyway. We have one of the hardest remaining schedules in the NBA."

D'Antoni: Pause. (Unintelligible.)

As if the Lakers needed more bad news, it's coming fast and furious.

Their game Friday against Sacramento was one of their last "easy" ones, or at least matchups that look favorable on paper. Nineteen of their final 23 will be against the clearly superior Western Conference and there will be six back-to-back situations, one of many bleak areas for the Lakers (5-8 in the first night, 4-9 in the second night).

They still have three games against San Antonio, two against Oklahoma City, two against the Clippers and two against Portland. The combined record of those teams before Saturday was 166-69. The Lakers are 20-39.

Fans who want the Lakers to keep losing don't have to worry. Their draft position will be just fine.

Their worst week has yet to come in one of the most dreadful seasons in Lakers history.

The Lakers play Oklahoma City two times in a row and then San Antonio twice in a row in an 11-day stretch beginning March 9, though there are a few days of rest between the games against the Thunder and those against the Spurs. So there's that.

The Lakers won an entertaining one Friday against Sacramento, 126-122, though the Kings were without their best player, DeMarcus Cousins, who was suspended because he'd punched an opponent.

And their season-long weakness was still there.

"We're not very good defensively," D'Antoni said. "We have a hard time guarding the rim, we have a hard time being tough sometimes. We're missing a little bit of that."

Blake vs. Farmar

The Lakers lost some toughness when they sent Steve Blake to Golden State.

Jordan Farmar showed something, though, making eight three-pointers in 10 attempts Friday while still on a minutes restriction because of recurring hamstring problems.

He pushed through his recommended 25-minute cap, scoring 30 points in 29 minutes against Sacramento.

"Farmar, he's smart and plays well," D'Antoni said.

How does he compare to Blake?

"Blake, that's a different category. That guy's crazy," D'Antoni said. "Steve Blake's in a category [where] I'm not going in there without him."
LTLakerFan

Postby Savory Griddles on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:13 pm

TheOp wrote:Farmar
Kobe
Melo
FREE AGENT PF NOT NAMED PAU GASOL
Embiid

Contenders?

We'd be better off with Stephenson and Lowry for the price of Melo.
Savory Griddles

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion