Kobe Bryant Discussion: Reason for Lakers downfall?

Re: Kobe Discussion: Reevalutated in early Feb; #BrokenNotBeaten

Postby HighlyFavored on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:40 pm

^Kobe wasnt making money off his nickname though.
HighlyFavored

Postby khmrP on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:49 pm

HighlyFavored wrote:^Kobe wasnt making money off his nickname though.

oh, well then nothing changed :man10:
khmrP

Postby showtime mamba on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:00 pm

It seems pretty negligent and careless of Kobe. What is his agent paid for? It seems like his agent should be the person to dot i's and cross t's. Nobody here spotted it, so maybe like all of us it seemed so obvious to have copyrighted the we just assumed it was already done. Do a quick internet search about how Gene Simmons from kiss profited from copyrights or trademarks that had not been filed. He got the monopoly $ sign and I think he tried to get oj for orange juice.

Anyway Kobe will either pay a few million to the uncle or a lawyer will say you can't trademark an animal or some such legal defense. At least we know Kobe wont go broke suddenly.
showtime mamba

Postby HighlyFavored on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:17 pm

^wait so your saying Roger Mayweather can sue Kobe for using "Black Mamba" even though it was made before Roger got it trademarked. I just figured Kobe and Nike would/will stop using and making Kobe "Black Mamba" stuff and that would be the end of it.
HighlyFavored

Postby khmrP on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:28 pm

HighlyFavored wrote:^wait so your saying Roger Mayweather can sue Kobe for using "Black Mamba" even though it was made before Roger got it trademarked. I just figured Kobe and Nike would/will stop using and making Kobe "Black Mamba" stuff and that would be the end of it.

I dont think Mayweather can make any claims for anything black mamba related before his trade mark is accepted. I also dont think he'll get it that copy right either, he has to prove that he's been using it for quite some time and not just here say, Im going through a copy right process now for a business its pretty diffiuclt.
khmrP

Postby HighlyFavored on Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:37 pm

Kobe also has a Black Mamba watch with Hublot. Kobe should fire his agent immediately!! This is an example of what Jay Z was talking about when he said " these athletes have agents who dont really care about them, and be taking their money and dont be putting 100% effort into doing their job correctly. Thats how a lot of athletes end up going broke after they retire."

HighlyFavored

Postby showtime mamba on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:55 pm

HighlyFavored wrote:^wait so your saying Roger Mayweather can sue Kobe for using "Black Mamba" even though it was made before Roger got it trademarked. I just figured Kobe and Nike would/will stop using and making Kobe "Black Mamba" stuff and that would be the end of it.

I was meaning Kobe would pay money for the uncle to go away and stop proceeding with his business venture and copy right. It seems to me there is no reason why Mayweather's uncles product would do particularly well unless the Mayweather name is involved and Floyd comes to the party. On further thought Kobe and Nike might just ignore this, give up no money and put the ball in the court of Floyd's uncle to enter into lengthy and exorbitant litigation (the Steven A Smith let him go kick rocks strategy.)

I really resent the fact that this uncle is trying this opportunistic and desperate opportunity to get money. Though to be fair if Mayweather's uncle was called King James "the chosen one" Mayweather I would probably buy some gloves and a punching bag just so I wouldn't have to hear those phrases ever again.
showtime mamba

Postby LakersN4 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:45 pm

The Los Angeles Lakers will rule out Kobe Bryant for the remainder of the 13-14 NBA season.

Bryant continues to have discomfort in the fractured lateral tibial plateau in his left knee.

The Lakers' original estimate was that Bryant would miss six weeks, but he'll have missed 17 weeks if he doesn't return.

Bryant signed a two-year, $48.5 million extension in November to remain with the Lakers through the 15-16 season.

The Lakers are expected to piece together their roster in 14-15 with an eye toward free agency in 2015.

Via Kevin Ding/Bleacher Report
So much for proving he can still play at an elite level to lure free agents.. Oh well.. I'll take Kobe getting fully healthy over anything any potential FA could bring.
LakersN4

Postby XXIV on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:30 pm

I'm still hoping the whole "discomfort" thing is a lie.
XXIV

Re: Kobe Discussion: Lakers shutting him down; done for the year

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:36 pm

Good news....it took a while, but I'm happy that he finally agreed to shut it down for the rest of this horrible season.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby themasterphil on Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:54 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Good news....it took a while, but I'm happy that he finally agreed to shut it down for the rest of this horrible season.

I am sure it is a lie. Because Kobe is a winner, he is a champ thats for sure but on the other hand if you look at the team right now what is the real point for him to come back this year. None. So Kobe stay down, get healthy and come back next year.
:jam2:
themasterphil

Postby earvinfr on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:15 pm

I think it's a lie not from now but from the beginning. Remember Kobe got hurt and then finished the game, even scoring a clutch 3 to win the game. It's not like he left the game on a wheelchair...
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby Center Court on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:43 pm

themasterphil wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:Good news....it took a while, but I'm happy that he finally agreed to shut it down for the rest of this horrible season.

I am sure it is a lie. Because Kobe is a winner, he is a champ thats for sure but on the other hand if you look at the team right now what is the real point for him to come back this year. None. So Kobe stay down, get healthy and come back next year.
:jam2:

Let's hope he can get healthy. Time will be on his side, but age and mileage is not.
Center Court

Postby Alleyhoops on Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:53 pm

I'm not so certain it's a lie. Our training and medical staff isn't exactly like that of the Phoenix Suns'. We don't have a particularly shining track record when it comes to recuperating our players' injuries. With all those miles on an aged player, does not surprise me in the least that there are problems with his recovery.
Alleyhoops

Postby kenzo on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:40 am

Alleyhoops wrote:I'm not so certain it's a lie. Our training and medical staff isn't exactly like that of the Phoenix Suns'. We don't have a particularly shining track record when it comes to recuperating our players' injuries. With all those miles on an aged player, does not surprise me in the least that there are problems with his recovery.

I like the other guys version better :man12: No one on this board can be sure of anything but Kobe is no spring chicken anymore, that's a fact.
kenzo

Postby The Laker Link on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:28 am

:man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6:

All in all, it's a good thing, but it still makes me sad. I really, really, really, AND I KNOW IT WON'T HAPPEN BUT I STILL HAVE THE HOPE, that Kobe will be at the Jazz game in April.

I am going, I'd love for him to be there.

:man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6: :man6:
The Laker Link

Postby karacha on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:16 am

Of course they are shutting him down. Now, I'm sure he doesn't feel great, but the truth is -- we're trying to get a good pick this year and audition some young players and there is absolutely no reason for Kobe to come back and play. He should take time and get in shape over the summer. The days of Kobe carrying the team are pretty much over anyway. He only needs to be solid until his contract expires, and I believe he can be if the rehab goes well.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby unpossibl1 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:09 am

Good news, rest up and get ready for next season Kobe! Now if only we could do the same with Pau so we would quit shooting ourselves in the foot by winning games!
unpossibl1

Postby 432J on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:58 am

surprise surprise! there is absolutely no point at all for him to return. rest up and get ready for next season

imagine if kobe had come back this season and got hurt again
:man10:
432J

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:01 am

Him coming back would have been nice, but if he really is still experiencing discomfort then that's extremely discouraging.

The Lakers must know something we don't though so they're not making a huge push to get him back. They've either given up on players or know there's a target that they're likely to get anyway so there's no worry about rushing him back.

Either way it's good for the pro-tanking side.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:04 am

A lot of players have been getting injured by player contact recently, especially in the knees.

I wonder if there are protective wear to absorb the shock of blows like that. It may not feel right at first, but better than getting injured again. Someone like Kobe can learn to adapt to it no problem.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:13 am

There's not much you can do when someone falls into your legs. There's nothing you can do really except relax and try to roll with the blow, but that's not easy.

The reason knees are getting torn up now is because the game is based off of athleticism and not skill development. There's very few real ball handlers now. There's very few players with excellent footwork. Hell I think Kobe might be the last one left.

The game is based off of pushing your body to the limits of it's athleticism and that means tearing ligaments and muscles that can't handle the strain. Much like football trying to temper concussions, the NBA allowed for less strict perimeter defense. That means the perimeter players take a bigger role. That means athleticism is king and that means more serious non-contact injuries.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:49 am

karacha wrote:Of course they are shutting him down. Now, I'm sure he doesn't feel great, but the truth is -- we're trying to get a good pick this year and audition some young players and there is absolutely no reason for Kobe to come back and play. He should take time and get in shape over the summer. The days of Kobe carrying the team are pretty much over anyway. He only needs to be solid until his contract expires, and I believe he can be if the rehab goes well.

^^ +1 to what Karacha said. The wisest move was for him to shut it down. Of course, we don't know the extent of Kobe's discomfort, but obviously if he was feeling great and his rehab were completed no one on earth could keep Kobe from coming back. So I think there's truth in both things, he's probably been told by the team to rest up for next season and his own body is telling him the same thing. There's zero reason for him to be out there risking re-injury. Get healthy and we'll see our warrior next year.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:14 am

I really wanted him to comeback a play a little just to add a little feel good story before our season end with 15 or so game left. But I completely understand this decision and respect it. Get well Kobe and I can't wait to see you back on the court next year! :bow:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby gcclaker on Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:32 am

Smart move and overdue. At least 24 will be healthy [crosses fingers] by the start of the 2014-2015 season.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion