Kobe Bryant Discussion:#3 All Time!

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: Magic Mamba

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:00 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:
KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
Kobe praised Lakers' defense tonight. Overall, Kobe said: "I'm not too concerned."

Usually I'd say "Well if Kobe's not concerned I'm not concerned". However, we lost to the worst team or one of the worst teams out west and in the NBA, full of basically nobody's and gave Beasley all star status. Yes I'd be concerned because he said they found an identity, he passed the ball and they still lost so I'm not sure if the identity is there yet Mamba. I'm not concerned about Kobe but the team collectively has me wondering again.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Weezy on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:13 am

borri wrote:
Jazzygirl205 wrote:Someone said Kobe looked winded, so I don't think he can sustain playing shooter/passer, while guarding the other team's best player he'll lose rhythm at any point and be tired as well.

List of chores for Kobe on the basketball court:

1. Score.
2. Pass. Be the main initiator.
3. Defend the opp's best backcourt player.
4. Babysit the egos of his teammates by getting them involved so that they'll play better D.
5. If passing the ball isn't working....shoot more, find balance....all while trying to do 1-4.

What else does he need to do?

It's a pretty long list. Doesn't get any easier when guys stop moving without the ball like tonight, or aren't hitting shots.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kobebryant248 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:14 am

well borri i play basketball . not on a high level like kobe but i know this sport and you have to find a balance between shootin g and passing and if you don t understand it then it s not my fault. but if you would understand that game and espicially seen that game you have to admit and say he even doesn t looked at his shot vs phoenix tonight and vs new orleans yesterday . so he had no balance and when it was needed to score he couldn t do it like he is capable because he had no rhytmn . so again it s not my fault if you don t have any knowledge about that sport
kobebryant248

Postby Nikez on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:16 am

Jazzygirl205 wrote:
dwighthowardsdad wrote:
KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
Kobe praised Lakers' defense tonight. Overall, Kobe said: "I'm not too concerned."

Usually I'd say "Well if Kobe's not concerned I'm not concerned". However, we lost to the worst team or one of the worst teams out west and in the NBA, full of basically nobody's and gave Beasley all star status. Yes I'd be concerned because he said they found an identity, he passed the ball and they still lost so I'm not sure if the identity is there yet Mamba. I'm not concerned about Kobe but the team collectively has me wondering again.

I would go with your first instinct.

Kobe usually gets visibly frustrated when he has that sense he is not getting everything out of his teammates. I think he realizes that they played well the majority of the game, just fell apart at the end. He would know if the lockerroom all of a sudden lost confidence because of this game.
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:17 am

kobebryant248 wrote:so again it s not my fault if you don t have any knowledge about that sport

Why do you say stuff like this about everyone in your posts? At least people give reasoning to their responses instead of.....

:mad1: :mad1: :bang: :mad1: :mad1: :bang: No Laker fan :mad1: :mad1: Not true fan :mad1: :mad1:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby borri on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:25 am

kobebryant248 wrote:well borri i play basketball . not on a high level like kobe but i know this sport and you have to find a balance between shootin g and passing and if you don t understand it then it s not my fault. but if you would understand that game and espicially seen that game you have to admit and say he even doesn t looked at his shot vs phoenix tonight and vs new orleans yesterday . so he had no balance and when it was needed to score he couldn t do it like he is capable because he had no rhytmn . so again it s not my fault if you don t have any knowledge about that sport

Okay then. I commend you on your self professed knowledge of basketball. Congrats. I and other on this board will welcome your expert opinions from now on.

You should create a thread. Tell everyone what you told me. You know the game of basketball because you played it at what, the college, JC level. Title it "ask the expert".
borri

Postby kobebryant248 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:32 am

doc brown why do you always attack me ?
kobebryant248

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:34 am

kobebryant248 wrote:doc brown why do you always attack me ?

Please show me where I attacked you?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:57 am

Kobe Bryant ‏@kobebryant
We r on track. Gave one away tonight, let it slip away from us but I like how we are playing as a team. It will all come together this way.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:01 am

At least it's good indication that he still trusts his teammates and want to facilitate the ball.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Forward Three on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:11 am

He's not wrong. They are on track, but it'll almost surely be too little, too late. This won't be the last time they let slip away a winnable game, and while this should be the last time they lose to a scrub team, it won't be. We know it won't be. It's encouraging to know the team is coming together and playing as a team again, but I'm afraid we're not going to see the full potential of what this squad is capable of until next season.
Forward Three

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:19 am

^You know what, though? That's not necessarily a bad thing. I've been extremly discouraged by their play; I know I'm not the only one. However, we can look at this roster now and see the pieces don't fit. We can make the necessary changes during the summer and make a run at it next year.

Of course there are things that have to happen. Dwight has to re-sign, I believe Earl has to be resigned, Hill has to come back healthy & so does Dwight. We need another SF, a capable backup PG, more youth, etc. We can get attempt to get rid of the deadweight in Duhon, Morris, Ebanks, Blake, and Pau's contract. We can make a decision on D'Antoni.

There's a lot that needs to be taken into consideration and decisions need to be made for this franchise going forward...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:35 am

I liked what I saw (for the most part) for 2.5 quarters, but sorry. At this juncture if you don't win there are no excuses and there's nothing that can be said to make up for blowing games like this.

Win 5 straight and I'll forget all about this but we all know that's not going to happen.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby TheOp on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:45 am

I see too many people talking about next year. We have enough to win this year. The roster isnt going to significantly change next year.
TheOp

Postby Nashty Gal on Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:45 am

I feel you, Kobe. We're just kinda running out if time here. This is gonna go down till the last game, oh my stomach
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby Congo Cash on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:48 am

borri wrote:
Jazzygirl205 wrote:Someone said Kobe looked winded, so I don't think he can sustain playing shooter/passer, while guarding the other team's best player he'll lose rhythm at any point and be tired as well.

List of chores for Kobe on the basketball court:

1. Score.
2. Pass. Be the main initiator.
3. Defend the opp's best backcourt player.
4. Babysit the egos of his teammates by getting them involved so that they'll play better D.
5. If passing the ball isn't working....shoot more, find balance....all while trying to do 1-4.

What else does he need to do?

Hmm, I would put guarding the frontcourt players as well since Pau can't even guard his own shadow... :man11:

:man10: :man10: :man10: @ the "help" he is getting... Even during the Kwame/Walton years we know they are making the PO and his role was never this demanding...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:15 am

That last play was ridiculous. Kobe did the right thing by going to the basket but i was so mad watching everyone else. The D collapsed and what did i see? Nobody cutting to the basket hard, nobody going to the glass in case for a miss, everyone just standing around and watching Kobe go 1 on 5. Absolutely sickening to watch.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:10 am

He's still got to find the balance that Magic enjoyed. When the fourth quarter came, Magic would attack and he'd find himself in a better rhythm when they needed him to score.

Last game guys weren't hitting shots that we're used to them hitting (specifically Nash and Artest). The energy wasn't there either from anyone. We saw guys needing to take a blow after most plays (I'm thinking specifically Dwight and Pau).

I have faith still, but we need some progress now. We can't lose any more of these gimme games.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:22 am

MINNEAPOLIS — I'm liking the laugh-out-loud guy sitting across from me at Starbucks, maybe as big a shock as Kobe Bryant and I getting together to sip vanilla lattes.

You know who I'm talking about: the Kobester, the Big Baby, the Ball Hog, the Tanker.

And here I am, the Hater.

"We're human beings, so we're complicated," Kobe says.

We have already spent the last hour discussing his obsessive intensity, Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol and Shaquille O'Neal, his stifling inner circle and his belief he can pass the Lakers into the playoffs.

"I just happened to grow in front of everybody and a lot happened," Kobe says. "Maybe one day in like 15 years or so some people will come to realize we didn't quite get him when he was playing."

There was a time when we would talk regularly and with great respect. And there was a time when we would not, replaced later by a lot of growling and confrontation.

The shift continues, the Lakers at their worst but Kobe at his best. And so what's wrong with him? I begin.

"I find myself talking sometimes and I can't believe what I just said," he says with a hearty laugh. "Realistically I have only one year left, so I'm trying to enjoy myself."

But what happened to the inner circle of trust, Kobe admitting, "You were off the reservation," if you didn't flatter him?

"I didn't have time to deal with nonsense," he says. "I had quite a bit of recovery going on, so I didn't have time to deal with negative stuff.

"I've taken the reins off now. I'm more open, hence Twitter. I'm at peace."

So ask him anything, and he obliges.

"Are you worried Howard might leave, jeopardizing a chance to win another ring, if he's not a fan of Mike D'Antoni's coaching?"

"Yeah, a little bit," Kobe says.

"Have you asked Dwight if he's going to stay?"

"I want him thinking about being our defensive stopper so we can ride him into the playoffs," Kobe says.

"Is D'Antoni the right coach?"

There's a long pause. "I don't think a coach becomes the right coach until he wins a championship. I don't think Erik Spoelstra was the right coach in Miami until he won. Phil Jackson was just some hippie coaching in Chicago with this weird offense."

"Can D'Antoni win a championship?"

"The question for me, is he capable of figuring this puzzle out? I think he has the brains to do so."

What about Howard and Bryant?

"I've been through much worse," Kobe says. "Shaq and I honestly didn't like each other. At least Dwight and I do like each other."

I suggest to Kobe that he probably thinks Howard is a clown, and Kobe says, "Yeah, but let me explain.

"Dwight is jovial. But by me being who I am, it balances out."

Howard is now wearing a headset listening to music before games rather than joking with the media. I suggest it's Kobe's doing. I get no argument.

"Oh yeah, he's trying to figure out that balance," Kobe says. "I know there's a lot of joy to what Dwight does, but I'm just trying to show him a little more intensity here and there.

"Shaq was very sensitive like Dwight, but he was also a beast. You look at Bill Russell, Hakeem Olajuwon, Kareem and these guys would rip your heart out. What if Wilt had Russell's engine? How many championships would he have won?"

When I suggest Gasol doesn't have that engine, Kobe says, "No, he doesn't, and not many people do.

"But Gasol is the ultimate team guy. You see him stepping out there and performing. He's not happy with it, and I told him, just be honest and say so, because no matter what he's going to do the job."

Kobe's motor remains revved to the max at age 34. His intensity is plastered across his face while just walking onto the court for pregame introductions.

"That's my slow walk," he says. "That's me getting into my zone. I'm just putting on my Secretariat blinders; it's race time."

But he comes across arrogant. Why not show more joy?

"That's not going to happen," he says. "I know I drive a very hard bargain. I was reading the Steve Jobs book, which was enjoyable because it made me seem like a Magic Johnson-like character."

Jobs was at the top of his game as well, but written off as a jerk by some.

"I don't think I'm a [jerk] except on the court," he says. "Come down to Newport and then people I know will tell you I'm different off the court."

He says he might have followed more in Magic's footsteps had fans in Los Angeles not been divided by the Shaq-Kobe feud. He says he will never get past that with some people.

He will be remembered, of course, for being one of the game's greats, willing to eat your young, or his own jersey to win.

"It's disgusting, but my father taught me when your mouth gets dry, just suck the sweat out of your own jersey," he says. "There's no bravado to any of it; it's just a disgusting little trick."

When we move our chat to the end of his career, I ask him how he will feel if he doesn't win another ring.

"I can't see that happening," he says.

We argue about what is sacrificed in the pursuit of always having to win, and he says, "Winning takes precedence over all. There's no gray area. No almosts.

"It's a very unbalanced way to live and I know that. It's not healthy. And I can't justify it, but someone has to win and why not me and the Lakers organization."

To win, he contends, he must set an example.

"This team needed it," he says. "In the meeting we had in Memphis we were talking about doing things that maybe we're not what we do best. What I do best is shoot, maybe passing is the best way for us to win now.

"I tried it in the seventh game of the [2006] playoffs against Phoenix," he says, while not pleased being known as the Tanker.

"I scored 50 in Game 6 and we lost. I scored like 17 in the first half, and took a gamble. I decided to pass to try and get everyone else going. It didn't work.

"I took the same gamble here and if it hadn't worked out, what would people be saying now? Kobe isn't shooting so he can prove some point?

"What I'm doing now is being selfish. I'm trying to help the team because I want to win a championship."

He says he hasn't decided when he will retire, but he knows fans won't see him fade as they did when Michael Jordan played with Washington.

"You didn't have to see that version of Michael. He retired at 36 in Chicago at the top of his game. There's a not a chance you'll see me [like that]."

So when the end comes, how does he wish to be remembered?

"As a winner and overachiever," he says. "A guy who worked and played hard like he was the 12th man on the roster."

And a complicated human being, pretty much like everyone else, I guess.

The article is written by T.J. Simers. So, for those of you who don't like him & consider him a hack, don't read it. I thought it was a very interesting interview.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:30 am

I read quickly to keep as much of Simers out of my eyes as possible...

Kobe said some good things.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:33 am

therealdeal wrote:He's still got to find the balance that Magic enjoyed.

This is true, as much as I <3 Kobe, I agree that he struggles to find a balance which is unfortunate.

Real, any chance you were listening to Night Side with Jay from Compton last night? AM 710
Chillbongo

Postby gcclaker on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:46 am

Just read that part where next season is REALLY his last. Not trying to look that far BUT...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:58 am

Kobe's gonna retire next season :man6: That's why I was looking forward to him getting his 6th title, but this season sucked.I'm gonna cry I just know I am, I cried when MJ retired 20 times so of course I'm gonna cry.
Jazzygirl205

Postby phoenixrisingla on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
therealdeal wrote:He's still got to find the balance that Magic enjoyed.

This is true, as much as I <3 Kobe, I agree that he struggles to find a balance which is unfortunate.

Real, any chance you were listening to Night Side with Jay from Compton last night? AM 710

He's not Magic. He was never close to haveing the same game as magic. He didnt want to be like Magic.

Kobe is a scorer. Fans (me included) get hypnotized by his skill and his ABILITY to do everything on the court, but a Tiger cant change his stripes.

He sees himself as a scorer. He thinks his position should focus on scoring. He values scoring above everthing else.

This is why we love him and its the same reason we scream at his through our TV screens sometimes. But it is what it is. He aint changing. Let's enjoy the last 1.5 season we get to see it.
Last edited by phoenixrisingla on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenixrisingla

Postby charvin on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:11 pm

:man10: Phil was a hippie with a weird offense.

"Can D'Antoni win a championship?" :man1: Avoids answering that question
charvin

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion