Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Kobe Discussion: drooling for a win

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:01 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:the lakers would have to go 20-2 for kobe to win mvp. so no he isnt winning mvp.

even if they did just that do you think he would get anything more than a "Kobe played wonderful" type responses from the media heads.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Re: Kobe Discussion:"Amnesty THAT"

Postby Lakeshow24 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:07 pm

Finwë wrote:
trodgers wrote:
lakersyunowin wrote:i think that dunk got vanessa pregnant again

She's not the only one.

LMAO

:man10: :man10:
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby Maluco Beleza on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:09 pm

if the lakers won every game from here on out kobe would def be the deserved MVP.
Maluco Beleza

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:20 pm

That MVP ship has sailed so long ago
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:28 pm

he should be in the mvp running but he wont be bc hes been putting these numbers up his whole career and no one can get past drooling over lebron. kd isnt ready yet for mvp i think scoring titles for now is good for him. lebron doesnt need another one there are other more valuable to their teams i think.

kobe
cp3
parker

i think any of those 3 should be mvp over lebron. yes his numbers are amazing and hes been on a tear but i honestly think cp3 or parker should get it as they have taken their teams over the top imo and also kobe for what hes done this season at his age and milage.
Ariza3

Postby Scnottaken on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Kobe has too much help. All LeBron has is an injured Wade.
/sarcasm
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby charvin on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:34 pm

This is why Kobe, Nash, and all the other hard working athletes who "overachieved" got to where they are today. Nash said it best "If every player worked as hard as I did, I would be out of a job".

Maybe it really is compensating for not having a 20-year old body that can sprint up and down for 40 minutes, but all this hard work just makes him better than those more gifted, but less prepared.

Same situation for Howard in reverse; amazingly gifted size and strength, but as most posters have alluded to, he lacks the fundamentals of a post game and cannot dominate without his athleticism.
charvin

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:40 pm

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:That MVP ship has sailed so long ago

Yep.
Jazzygirl205

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:09 pm

Kobe's putting up all the numbers and doing all the amazing things an MVP would do.

But unless we were among the top teams in the league, he just wasn't going to win it. Reminds me of the 2005-2007 years.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:31 pm

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/19o38z/hi_rnba_my_name_is_robert_and_im_an_athletic/

I've been a professional athletic trainer for about 16 years and have been able to work with a range of athletes from the high school to professional level. Right now I run in a clinic in Cincinnati and have most recently been training with some players on the Bengals.

I activated my reddit account just a moment ago and because I've been seeing the videos of Kobe's most recent dunks and the comments you guys have had to share I decided I might as well chime in what I know about the man. And let me just state by saying that this story doesn't touch on anything we don't know about Kobe but rather that he simply is not human when he is working on his craft.

I was invited to Las Vegas this past Summer to help Team USA with their conditioning before they head off to London, and as we know they would eventually bring home the Gold (USA). I've had the opportunity to work with Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade in the past but this would be my first interaction with Kobe. We first met three days before the first scrimmage, on the day of the first practice, early July. It was a brief conversation where we talked about conditioning, where he would like to be by the end of the Summer, and we talked a little bit about the hustle of the Select Team. Then he got my number and I let him know that if he ever wanted some extra training he could hit me up any time.

The night before the first scrimmage I remember I was just watched "Casablanca" for the first time and it was about 3:30 AM. I lay in bed, slowly fading away when I hear my cell ring. It was Kobe. I nervously picked up.

"Hey, uhh Rob, I hope I'm not disturbing anything right?"

"Uhh no, what's up Kob?"

"Just wondering if you could just help me out with some conditioning work, that's all."

I checked my clock. 4:15 AM.

"Yeah sure, I'll see you in the facility in a bit."

It took me about twenty minutes to get my gear and out of the hotel. When I arrived and opened the room to the main practice floor I saw Kobe. Alone. He was drenched in sweat as if he had just taken a swim. It wasn't even 5AM.

We did some conditioning work for the next hour and fifteen minutes. Then we entered the weight room, where he would do a multitude of strength training exercises for the next 45 minutes. After that we parted ways and he went back to the practice floor to shoot. I went back to the hotel and crashed. Wow.

I was expected to be at the floor again at about 11 AM. I woke up feeling sleepy, drowsy, and almost pretty much every side effect of sleep deprivation. Thanks, Kobe. I had a bagel and headed to the practice facility.

This next part I remember very vividly. All the Team USA players were there, feeling good for the first scrimmage. LeBron was talking to Carmelo if I remember correctly and Coach Krzyzewski was trying to explain something to Kevin Durant. On the right side of the practice facility was Kobe by himself shooting jumpers. And this is how our next conversation went -- I went over to him, patted him on the back and said, "Good work this morning."

"Huh?"

"Like, the conditioning. Good work."

"Oh. Yeah, thanks Rob. I really appreciate it."

"So when did you finish?"

"Finish what?"

"Getting your shots up. What time did you leave the facility?"

"Oh just now. I wanted 800 makes so yeah, just now."

My jaw dropped. Mother of holy God. It was then that I realized that there's no surprise to why he's been as effective as he was last season. Every story about his dedication, every quote that he's said about hard work all came together and hit me like a train. It's no surprise to me now that he's dunking on players ten years younger than him and it wasn't a surprise to me earlier this year when he led the league in scoring.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to share you my Kobe Bryant story. If anyone has any questions I can clarify. Sorry if the story was at all hard to follow as this is my first time on reddit.

Rob.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:20 am

^^ Just going to post this after reading it over at LG.net

HOLY COW :man4: :man4:

Makes you think about all of the other crazy things Kobe has done that we the fans just haven't ever heard about or that goes unnoticed.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 am

One of the comments someone posted from that Reddit article above^^

I actually have some similar stories. My father was part of the Lakers S&C team from 1993-2001 or 2002.
He once said he had to stay at the practice facility helping a player rehabbing from an injury well into the night. An assistant coach Bill Bertka was given the assignment of shutting Kobe down before/after practices because there was concern he was overdoing it and would break down. After they found Kobe coming back to the facility after hours several times on his own, Bill made him give back his key. There was apparently quite the rift between management and Kobe regarding his practice habits and Kobe felt like he wasn't valued. He felt somewhat like he was just a body to them and that they'd lose interest in him if he was hurt. At one point he said something to Jeanie about "if they cant handle me at my worst, they dont deserve me at my best". It got back to Jerry West and there was a sit down to say the least.
Back to the story. My old man is at the facility rehabbing and around 1am Kobe walked down the hall past the training rooms toward the practice court. When he noticed my dad and the player he said "yall didnt see (bleep)" and my dad said Kobe was still at the facility when they left at 230 am. The next day my dad asked Kobe how he got in and Kobe laughed and said "i got my ways". A couple of nights later my dad noticed a sock wedged in between one of the entrances to the building propping the door open. My dad never ratted. Kobe could be proppin with socks to this day. One of my favorites.
Last edited by Battle Tested20 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby funkychunky on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:28 am

funkychunky

Postby Alcindor on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:34 am

The Rock wrote:http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/19o38z/hi_rnba_my_name_is_robert_and_im_an_athletic/

I've been a professional athletic trainer for about 16 years and have been able to work with a range of athletes from the high school to professional level. Right now I run in a clinic in Cincinnati and have most recently been training with some players on the Bengals.

I activated my reddit account just a moment ago and because I've been seeing the videos of Kobe's most recent dunks and the comments you guys have had to share I decided I might as well chime in what I know about the man. And let me just state by saying that this story doesn't touch on anything we don't know about Kobe but rather that he simply is not human when he is working on his craft.

I was invited to Las Vegas this past Summer to help Team USA with their conditioning before they head off to London, and as we know they would eventually bring home the Gold (USA). I've had the opportunity to work with Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade in the past but this would be my first interaction with Kobe. We first met three days before the first scrimmage, on the day of the first practice, early July. It was a brief conversation where we talked about conditioning, where he would like to be by the end of the Summer, and we talked a little bit about the hustle of the Select Team. Then he got my number and I let him know that if he ever wanted some extra training he could hit me up any time.

The night before the first scrimmage I remember I was just watched "Casablanca" for the first time and it was about 3:30 AM. I lay in bed, slowly fading away when I hear my cell ring. It was Kobe. I nervously picked up.

"Hey, uhh Rob, I hope I'm not disturbing anything right?"

"Uhh no, what's up Kob?"

"Just wondering if you could just help me out with some conditioning work, that's all."

I checked my clock. 4:15 AM.

"Yeah sure, I'll see you in the facility in a bit."

It took me about twenty minutes to get my gear and out of the hotel. When I arrived and opened the room to the main practice floor I saw Kobe. Alone. He was drenched in sweat as if he had just taken a swim. It wasn't even 5AM.

We did some conditioning work for the next hour and fifteen minutes. Then we entered the weight room, where he would do a multitude of strength training exercises for the next 45 minutes. After that we parted ways and he went back to the practice floor to shoot. I went back to the hotel and crashed. Wow.

I was expected to be at the floor again at about 11 AM. I woke up feeling sleepy, drowsy, and almost pretty much every side effect of sleep deprivation. Thanks, Kobe. I had a bagel and headed to the practice facility.

This next part I remember very vividly. All the Team USA players were there, feeling good for the first scrimmage. LeBron was talking to Carmelo if I remember correctly and Coach Krzyzewski was trying to explain something to Kevin Durant. On the right side of the practice facility was Kobe by himself shooting jumpers. And this is how our next conversation went -- I went over to him, patted him on the back and said, "Good work this morning."

"Huh?"

"Like, the conditioning. Good work."

"Oh. Yeah, thanks Rob. I really appreciate it."

"So when did you finish?"

"Finish what?"

"Getting your shots up. What time did you leave the facility?"

"Oh just now. I wanted 800 makes so yeah, just now."

My jaw dropped. Mother of holy God. It was then that I realized that there's no surprise to why he's been as effective as he was last season. Every story about his dedication, every quote that he's said about hard work all came together and hit me like a train. It's no surprise to me now that he's dunking on players ten years younger than him and it wasn't a surprise to me earlier this year when he led the league in scoring.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to share you my Kobe Bryant story. If anyone has any questions I can clarify. Sorry if the story was at all hard to follow as this is my first time on reddit.

Rob.

begeezus
Alcindor

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:38 am

We will all miss his greatness when he retires 10 years from now :man6:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby kenzo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:06 am

I'm not surprised at all :jam2: That's why i have so much love/respect for Kobe :bow:
kenzo

Postby scheven on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:06 am

lol, dude is borderline psycho

scheven

Postby scheven on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:09 am

^ I guess that's when he learned how to do this:

scheven

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:07 am

Kobe is doing great offensively, but people frequently ignore that he's not a good defender anymore and that's half the game. You need to be leading a historically good offense (a la 05 Nash) to be an MVP candidate in order to compensate for bad defense.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Forklift on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:00 am

the only way i see him winning MVP this year is if Heat starts losing which i dont see happening and Lakers win every game until the playoffs with KoBe averaging 35+ pts and 6-7 assists and rebounds.
Forklift

Postby kenzo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:08 am

Forklift wrote:the only way i see him winning MVP this year is if Heat starts losing which i dont see happening and Lakers win every game until the playoffs with KoBe averaging 35+ pts and 6-7 assists and rebounds.

Still not enough. Not for people who hold votes in their hands :freak2:
kenzo

Postby Forklift on Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:29 am

kenzo wrote:
Forklift wrote:the only way i see him winning MVP this year is if Heat starts losing which i dont see happening and Lakers win every game until the playoffs with KoBe averaging 35+ pts and 6-7 assists and rebounds.

Still not enough. Not for people who hold votes in their hands :freak2:

i know after typing that i was like even if he does that media still wont give it to him, but what i do see is maybe they might give him an MVP Trophy if he does good the year he retires. Like as a consulation prize for the crap the media has done to him.
Forklift

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:13 am

The crazy thing is on the radio this morning I heard Cowherd saying "Wade is probably the best SG in the game right now too since he plays both ways, definitely a Top 5 guy".

So two Top 5 guys on the team doesn't change the way people view the success of their team? I mean, what's the f***ing criteria here? In 2007 it was the man that meant most to his team, right? That was their excuse to not give it to the best basketball player in the game?

Now it's the best basketball player in the game, not the guy who means most to his team so that LeBron can get it.

What a ridiculous travesty. The media should be ashamed.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Coach Chris on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:39 am

Doc Brown wrote:Kobe had to dominate last night because he was being guarded by Josh Smith. A SG on a PF, excuse me if I'm wrong, but it's always the theme when a big is switched out onto a small, they go at them and that's what Kobe did.

We didn't almost lose because of Kobe, we were up 16 because of that offense, we got into a grind it out game because we had 21 TO's that turned into 24 fast break points and played absolutely stupid like we always do when we have a lead.

Agree with most of this. If you want to get all over Kobe because of his TOs, then you have a case. Nothing wrong with a scorer scoring.
Dr. Jerry Buss
January 27, 1933 - February 18, 2013
Coach Chris

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:45 am

He could win it next year if he plays like this again & we finish with one of the best records in the league. Especially if everyone thinks it's his last season. It's out of the question with our record. If they had a Most Impressive award, Kobe would deserve it no doubt. Doing this in your 17th season is as impressive as anything I've seen since becoming a fan.
lakersin4

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion