Kobe Thread: Bucher- Kobe = Father of Team USA Success p.819

Re: Kobe Discussion: drooling for a win

Postby Finwë on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:51 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:We will all miss his greatness when he retires 10 years from now :man6:

Are you really gonna miss a guy who was obviously gunning for scoring records and didn't care about winning anymore? :freak2: :freak2:
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:21 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Kobe is doing great offensively, but people frequently ignore that he's not a good defender anymore and that's half the game. You need to be leading a historically good offense (a la 05 Nash) to be an MVP candidate in order to compensate for bad defense.

I actually have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Kobe isn't the level defender he use to be (All 1st team NBA) but he is far from "not good." The dude gambles (always has) and he leaves his man open constantly (always has) but when he needs to lock down someone more often than not he does. In any case, I have no idea how that has to do with Kobe making an MVP case.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

MUST READ: Amazing Story on Kobe's Work Ethic

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:38 am

Sorry if this has been posted, but it's a must-read for any Lakers fan--no--any basketball fan--no--any sports fan--no--any human being who needs to learn a little about what it takes to be great at anything: Work, work and more work:

Hi r/NBA, my name is Robert and I'm an athletic trainer. This is my Kobe Bryant work ethic story.
submitted 18 hours ago* by RobertAlert

I've been a professional athletic trainer for about 16 years and have been able to work with a range of athletes from the high school to professional level. Right now I run in a clinic in Cincinnati and have most recently been training with some players on the Bengals.

I activated my reddit account just a moment ago and because I've been seeing the videos of Kobe's most recent dunks and the comments you guys have had to share I decided I might as well chime in what I know about the man. And let me just state by saying that this story doesn't touch on anything we don't know about Kobe but rather that he simply is not human when he is working on his craft.

I was invited to Las Vegas this past Summer to help Team USA with their conditioning before they head off to London, and as we know they would eventually bring home the Gold (USA). I've had the opportunity to work with Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade in the past but this would be my first interaction with Kobe. We first met three days before the first scrimmage, on the day of the first practice, early July. It was a brief conversation where we talked about conditioning, where he would like to be by the end of the Summer, and we talked a little bit about the hustle of the Select Team. Then he got my number and I let him know that if he ever wanted some extra training he could hit me up any time.

The night before the first scrimmage I remember I was just watched "Casablanca" for the first time and it was about 3:30 AM. I lay in bed, slowly fading away when I hear my cell ring. It was Kobe. I nervously picked up.

"Hey, uhh Rob, I hope I'm not disturbing anything right?"

"Uhh no, what's up Kob?"

"Just wondering if you could just help me out with some conditioning work, that's all."

I checked my clock. 4:15 AM.

"Yeah sure, I'll see you in the facility in a bit."

It took me about twenty minutes to get my gear and out of the hotel. When I arrived and opened the room to the main practice floor I saw Kobe. Alone. He was drenched in sweat as if he had just taken a swim. It wasn't even 5AM.

We did some conditioning work for the next hour and fifteen minutes. Then we entered the weight room, where he would do a multitude of strength training exercises for the next 45 minutes. After that we parted ways and he went back to the practice floor to shoot. I went back to the hotel and crashed. Wow.

I was expected to be at the floor again at about 11 AM. I woke up feeling sleepy, drowsy, and almost pretty much every side effect of sleep deprivation. Thanks, Kobe. I had a bagel and headed to the practice facility.

This next part I remember very vividly. All the Team USA players were there, feeling good for the first scrimmage. LeBron was talking to Carmelo if I remember correctly and Coach Krzyzewski was trying to explain something to Kevin Durant. On the right side of the practice facility was Kobe by himself shooting jumpers. And this is how our next conversation went -- I went over to him, patted him on the back and said, "Good work this morning."

"Huh?"

"Like, the conditioning. Good work."

"Oh. Yeah, thanks Rob. I really appreciate it."

"So when did you finish?"

"Finish what?"

"Getting your shots up. What time did you leave the facility?"

"Oh just now. I wanted 800 makes so yeah, just now."

My jaw dropped. Mother of holy God. It was then that I realized that there's no surprise to why he's been as effective as he was last season. Every story about his dedication, every quote that he's said about hard work all came together and hit me like a train. It's no surprise to me now that he's dunking on players ten years younger than him and it wasn't a surprise to me earlier this year when he led the league in scoring.

Thanks for reading and allowing me to share you my Kobe Bryant story. If anyone has any questions I can clarify. Sorry if the story was at all hard to follow as this is my first time on reddit.

-Rob.

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/19o38z/hi_rnba_my_name_is_robert_and_im_an_athletic/
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Re: MUST READ: Amazing Story on Kobe's Work Ethic

Postby karacha on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:40 am

Yes, it's posted in Kobe Discussion.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Re: MUST READ: Amazing Story on Kobe's Work Ethic

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:41 am

I'm going to lock this, but I'll change the Kobe title to reflect this.

That's our bad.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:08 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Kobe is doing great offensively, but people frequently ignore that he's not a good defender anymore and that's half the game. You need to be leading a historically good offense (a la 05 Nash) to be an MVP candidate in order to compensate for bad defense.

I actually have no idea what the hell you are talking about. Kobe isn't the level defender he use to be (All 1st team NBA) but he is far from "not good." The dude gambles (always has) and he leaves his man open constantly (always has) but when he needs to lock down someone more often than not he does. In any case, I have no idea how that has to do with Kobe making an MVP case.

So your criteria for being a good defender is playing defense on an opponent he respects once every 10 games :man3: And do I really need to explain to you why not being a good defender hurts his MVP candidacy? Really?
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Re: Kobe Discussion: Never stop working (544)

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Kobe has been just fine defensively of late and has shown sporadically through the season that he can still be a fantastic defender.

He's also shown that when he's not focused he can be terrible. I haven't seen that "not-focused-on-defense" Kobe in a while though.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:23 pm

He still gambles every game even though he fails 99% of the time, but he's doing a better job of not leaving shooters now at least. His man defense is still solid as well, but he can be so lazy at times that I can't imagine how his mates can tolerate it. Overall I don't think he impacts the game defensively enough to call him a good defender anymore, I would say he's barely average.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:29 pm

That article does not surprise me in the least. Kobe is just a monster. He cannot be human. Maybe a little human . . . but not much. I will still say and probably always maintain that he is the most complete offensive player I've ever had the pleasure and honor to watch. It's just mind-boggling.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:50 pm

All this praise and 1 MVP ain't that something?
Jazzygirl205

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:15 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:He still gambles every game even though he fails 99% of the time, but he's doing a better job of not leaving shooters now at least. His man defense is still solid as well, but he can be so lazy at times that I can't imagine how his mates can tolerate it. Overall I don't think he impacts the game defensively enough to call him a good defender anymore, I would say he's barely average.

Well he's average. He's not bad and he's not great, but it's mostly by choice. He's not incapable of being a great defender anymore (at least in stretches). He just doesn't care to be sometimes.

His biggest fault isn't even gambling, it's falling asleep on rotations. I can forgive a gamble if you work hard to get back to an uncovered man. He doesn't do a good job of this at all. In fact when the team goes into scramble mode, he's often in awful position.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:15 pm

One of the reasons why I just believe that he will end up with at least 1 more ring. Kobe has worked too hard in his life and career for just 1 MVP, we all understand that. But because he won't get another regular season MVP I believe its only fair that he would make that up with NBA Rings. We hear all the time that the most successful people out their are those who work the hardest. Well, I think its safe to say that Kobe works the hardest in the league despite his god given talent.

It just doesn't seem right that he only ends up with 5 rings, 1 regular season MVP when its all said and done.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:57 pm

Jazzygirl205 wrote:All this praise and 1 MVP ain't that something?

It's absurd. Sorry Steve Nash - one of your MVP's really should be Kobe's. :man10:

Playing alongside Shaq hurt both of their chances, then Kobe's prime he was stuck on an awful team with mediocre records so that he wasn't in contention, even though he should have been regardless. He was the BEST player in the league (I know they always say, "It's the most valuable player, not the best" - as if there was some automatic distinction between the two things.)

Add to this the fact that he's always been a completely polarizing figure in the NBA with seemingly as many haters as fans, and it makes sense that the voters have gone for more conservative, like-able picks such as Nash and Dirk. And there you go.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Coach Chris on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:25 pm

Cleansed wrote:
2. When talk turns to this season’s NBA MVP, the names brought up quickest are those of Miami’s LeBron James, OKC’s Kevin Durant and New York’s Carmelo Anthony. All are having phenomenal seasons and would be deserving winners. But if the Lakers make the playoffs, it would be an injustice if Bryant didn’t win it. He has done everything he could to keep the team from collapsing through coaching changes, injuries, bad basketball and reported locker room disagreements. He has taken on different roles for the Lakers all season long — not just for a game or two. Early on he was leading the league in scoring, then became the de facto point guard when it made the team better. He’s also been the defensive stopper, definitely a team leader, and sometimes all of the above roles in the same game. Said head coach Mike D’Antoni: “I don’t even want to think about where we’d be without Kobe doing what he’s done for us.” Actually, coach, you wouldn’t have to think about it — your season would already be over. And is there any better definition of an MVP?

http://www.foxsportswest.com/03/03/13/Lakers-Hawks-500-Kobe-Bryant-playoff-cha/landing_lakers.html?blockID=873355&feedID=8686

Guys from 8th seeded teams don't win MVP.
Dr. Jerry Buss
January 27, 1933 - February 18, 2013
Coach Chris

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:34 pm

Shaq hurt his chances, but from 2005-2009 he should've had at LEAST 2.

The years he beasts, our "team isn't good enough". The years were the best, it's because he "has help".

And these f******* clown media members putting James Harden on the list of MVP candidates. GTFO
Chillbongo

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:35 pm

Coach Chris wrote:Guys from 8th seeded teams don't win MVP.

You're right. They don't. But for James Harden to even be in the conversation is a complete insult to Kobe
Chillbongo

Postby Coach Chris on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:43 pm

Harden might be "in the discussion", whatever that means. But he won't win it.
Dr. Jerry Buss
January 27, 1933 - February 18, 2013
Coach Chris

Postby LakerFanIam on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:44 pm

^^^ 2005-2009 was also too soon after the whole Colorado debacle too, IMO. I just think it was too much of a PR gamble to give the MVP to Kobe at that time... That, & our record just wasn't that good.

But yeah, Kobe was unquestionably the best player in the league during that stretch.
LakerFanIam

Postby charvin on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:57 pm

No disrespect to the guy, but Wade is far from anywhere near the best SG in the game right now. Guy can't shoot and if you shut his lanes down, I'll live with dying to him shooting long 2's and 3's.

LeBron is NBA's golden child. He can win as many regular season MVPs as he'd like because his god-given talent is just head and shoulders above almost everybody, but ultimately, as Kobe puts it, you should be in it to win championships, not regular season MVP.

therealdeal wrote:The crazy thing is on the radio this morning I heard Cowherd saying "Wade is probably the best SG in the game right now too since he plays both ways, definitely a Top 5 guy".

So two Top 5 guys on the team doesn't change the way people view the success of their team? I mean, what's the f***ing criteria here? In 2007 it was the man that meant most to his team, right? That was their excuse to not give it to the best basketball player in the game?

Now it's the best basketball player in the game, not the guy who means most to his team so that LeBron can get it.

What a ridiculous travesty. The media should be ashamed.
charvin

Postby 24/23goats on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:27 pm

mvp is a popularity contest now-a-days so why bother getting bent out of shape? Just count his rings and finals mvps and feel better.
24/23goats

Postby Weezy on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:42 pm

Nobody should really care if Kobe does or doesn't get MVP, because honestly I doubt the man himself does. It's a media voted on award, 4 or 5 guys are always up for it and who gets it usually depends on popularity. The criteria also seems to change a lot. For forever it was best player on one of the best teams, and I mean for decades. You think the criteria Nash won it with or LeBron in Cleveland won it with was the same as the criteria that Kareem, Magic, Bird, Jordan, Hakeem, Malone, and other big stars on loaded teams won it with? The award was what it was for forever with those greats, and if you go by what a lot of fans want it to be, a guy truly CARRYING their team and the most valuable player to a franchise, then how could Magic have ever won it next to Kareem and those guys he played with, or Jordan with Pippen always there, or Malone with Stockton feeding him, and on and on and on.

I'm fine with that criteria, best player on one of the absolute best teams, because that's how it's always been. What I don't like is when they try to change it for a few seasons or a certain season to fit who is popular or who they like. The criteria from 2000 on has been ever-changing. They changed the criteria when LeBron won it in Cleveland to a guy carrying his team like Kobe years, then when he bolted to Miami you had the media talking about how he gave up his shot at ever winning another MVP because he went to Miami and joined Wade and Bosh. That was nonsense from the start, the MVP throughout history is almost always on a team with at least one other big star, because how can your team win enough games to get you consideration if you're alone? It can't.

I think the true definition of most valuable is a guy who has done the most for his team, overcome big odds, fought through a lot, and his team would be dead without him, but that's not the historical criteria, so while I think Kobe should be considered this season and every season, he won't be a favorite if even considered. But like I said, the criteria always changes, LeBron will win this season, as he should by the historical criteria, and the idiots who said he never would again look as stupid as they should for being the ones that constantly change it in the first place. But yes, I think overall the criteria has been in flux from 2000 on, Iverson won it as the lone star carrying his team, Nash won it with what started at that time and continued since, a player running an entire offense pretty much, scoring, assisting, carrying a good team to being a great team. It's been that way since then (and kind of before as KG wasn't a PG or playmaker but I don't remember many players from that Minny team he won it with), Dirk, Kobe, LeBron, Rose all fit that, all guys on good teams that they elevated way beyond what they would have been without those players. Now that LeBron is back on a team with stars and getting one of the league's top records the criteria has changed again to fit him and he will win again. If the criteria was what it had been the past so many years, from Nash on, Tony Parker or Chris Paul would be the frontrunner this season, but again, it's not.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:43 pm

Jazzygirl205 wrote:All this praise and 1 MVP ain't that something?

Yeah but the MVP award is a joke, doesn't mean anything. It's like those WC Player of the Month awards and stuff. Just silly stuff and like I mentioned in another post, there's a little luck factor there too and Kobe had the misfortune (or fortune I guess one could argue) of playing with a phenomenon like Shaq in his early years, being on a crappy team in his prime, and then in his later years, overshadowed by new kid(s) in town. Just a timing thing unfortunately.
JGC

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:00 pm

Noooooooooooooo!!!
LTLakerFan

Postby nickvanexel on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:02 pm

:bang: :bang: :bang:
nickvanexel

Postby Tragic on Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:48 pm

Kobe is really injured man..He looks really hurt out there
Tragic

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion