Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: 4 straight games shooting over 50%

Postby King of Clutch on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:49 pm

JGC wrote: What's next, you're going to discredit Kobe's 8 assists against the Spurs because he played PG so oh, that's a given? Cmon.

And this doesn't make much sense. Kobe played pg what, the last 5 minutes of the game? Last I checked, morris, and duhon played plenty. Kobe has always been asked to create. Thats why his recent stretch is impressive. Actually facilitating BETTER. Don't see that as the case with lbj's rebounding situation, in my opinion.
King of Clutch

Postby odom1year on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:03 am

Melo is MVP if Knicks have the best record in the end of season. No doubt about that.
odom1year

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:12 am

thkthebest wrote:
King of Clutch wrote:You guys must be crazy. I think I must be the only one who's actually watched the knicks this year. Under estimating this man. smh...

If you're honestly saying this after watching the Knicks, then I don't think you are watching closely enough. What exactly is Carmelo doing that's making you think he's the MVP?

Well for one he's the leading scorer. He's not as effecient as kobe at 45%, but he also doesn't have much talent to make it easier on him. So you also have to factor that into account. He's rebounding, and closing, and dare I say defending, better than the black mamba. Yes. From what i've seen so far, melo has been holding his own on D. Last game he completely shut down glen davis. And took over down the stretch to seal the win against orlando. They were actually trailing most of the game. Closed against dallas as well. And most importantly, their unbeaten, and he's the leader of that unbeaten team. Thats probably all I needed. But I can tell you with confidence that they would not be 5-0 without melo. They're certainly not unbeaten because of felton, or j.r smith, or chandler.

And I don't necessarily think he's a selfish player, and I don't even like melo. I just don't think he's a good play maker. There's a difference between refusing to set up others. And not being good at it. A bit one dimensional I can accept. He's still been a great leader for that team...
Last edited by King of Clutch on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
King of Clutch

Postby Scnottaken on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:13 am

I would actually look at Kobe's assists as more impressive, simply because his teammates have had such horrendous shooting percentages (Kobe and Dwight are the only ones sporting TS%'s above .550, Blake bearly squeaking by the 500 mark, and Jordan Hill at .531, meanwhile, 5 of Miami's top 8 players based on minutes have a ts% above .550, with Wade and Battier being at .542). To simply brush kobe off because LeBron is getting better assists (6.1 to 4.7), and rebounding better (We have Gasol, Dwight, and Hill all gobbling more than 9 rbs per 36, Hill and Dwight are getting over 10. The Heat's center, to contrast is getting 8.3 per 36.) would be foolish.
ESPN wrote:Lebron wins umpteenth MVP in a landslide 125 first place votes! Kevin Durant gets 2, and Kobe gets -6. What a loser.

Dammit, ESPN, the season's not even over! LeBron's scoring 2.5 points less a game, so there's the assist difference right there, even if their teammates were shooting at the same clip. So to say that LeBron is the clear cut favorite would be idiotic
ESPN wrote:Lebron is the clear cut favorite to win the MVP once again.

Thanks for proving my point ESPN

I'm actually a terrible stat reader, so don't really take this as an honest attempt to compare the two players. I have not watched any Heat games, so I don't really know how important LeBron is to the team, all I know is Kobe is so far OUR MVP
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby kobebryant248 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:18 am

who is that espn guy ? it seems he is a total lebron james.....rider. so i didn t take em very serious hahaha
kobebryant248

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:18 am

The Rock wrote:The Knicks as is are doing fine, but Amare is gonna screw it all up lol

lol Yeah I think that'll happen too. They just can't pllay good together. Melo can't play the pnr. I think if they limit amare's play to ONLY pnr with felton, and have melo draw the d in the corners, with a few melo isos here and there, then it may work. Or just manage rotations where amare and melo aren't on the floor together. But amare iso, melo iso, will just kill them like it did last season. lol
King of Clutch

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:21 am

Scnottaken wrote:I would actually look at Kobe's assists as more impressive, simply because his teammates have had such horrendous shooting percentages (Kobe and Dwight are the only ones sporting TS%'s above .550, Blake bearly squeaking by the 500 mark, and Jordan Hill at .531, meanwhile, 5 of Miami's top 8 players based on minutes have a ts% above .550, with Wade and Battier being at .542). To simply brush kobe off because LeBron is getting better assists (6.1 to 4.7), and rebounding better (We have Gasol, Dwight, and Hill all gobbling more than 9 rbs per 36, Hill and Dwight are getting over 10. The Heat's center, to contrast is getting 8.3 per 36.) would be foolish.
ESPN wrote:Lebron wins umpteenth MVP in a landslide 125 first place votes! Kevin Durant gets 2, and Kobe gets -6. What a loser.

Dammit, ESPN, the season's not even over! LeBron's scoring 2.5 points less a game, so there's the assist difference right there, even if their teammates were shooting at the same clip. So to say that LeBron is the clear cut favorite would be idiotic
ESPN wrote:Lebron is the clear cut favorite to win the MVP once again.

Thanks for proving my point ESPN

LOL!! :bow:
King of Clutch

Postby OX1947 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:32 am

King of Clutch wrote:
The Rock wrote:The Knicks as is are doing fine, but Amare is gonna screw it all up lol

lol Yeah I think that'll happen too. They just can't pllay good together. Melo can't play the pnr. I think if they limit amare's play to ONLY pnr with felton, and have melo draw the d in the corners, with a few melo isos here and there, then it may work. Or just manage rotations where amare and melo aren't on the floor together. But amare iso, melo iso, will just kill them like it did last season. lol

Pau for Amare anyone?
OX1947

Postby The Rock on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:33 am

HELL NO

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:44 am

The Rock wrote:HELL NO

This. lol as much as we give pau fits. He still is a top 5 pf. Just needs to be CONSISTENT. Part of the anger comes from knowing what he can do. His D hasn't been much of a problem last few games, lets see if that holds up...
King of Clutch

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:46 am

that is a turrible idea. that better have been a joke.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby JGC on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:46 am

King of Clutch wrote:
JGC wrote:
King of Clutch wrote:
last stand wrote:Kobe's having a great season But Lebron definitely deserves to be #1 in MVP voting right now

Playing less minutes than Kobe he's averaging 24ppg 10rpg 6apg shooting 55% and 52% from 3 and showed against Houston that he can still dominate when he wants

Best player in the league bar none. What Kobe's doing is amazing but it's amazing because of his age, what lebrons doing is amazing at any age

The man is playing pf, averaging 10rpg is a given. Especially when you have chris bosh as the center. Let him try doing that with howard and gasol. If lbj were still playing sf, he would be averaging 6rpg. And I don't think he's more valuable to miami, than melo or kobe to their respective teams. kobe has more responsibilities, and melo definitely is more valuable to the knicks than lbj to miami. When you have bosh scoring 40, and ray allen giving you 20+ some games. Not even going to mention wade's talent. I think ppl just like to stare at the stat sheet with lbj. And when that happens, he'll win everytime. Probably the best stat sheet stuffer in the game's history. Other things should be taken into account. Just think ppl who are carrying the most burden should decide mvp, not talent.

How do you figure that Lebron would be averaging 6 RPG if he slid back to SF? I don't even recall if he's ever averaged that low ever in his career has he?

How can you say averaging 10 RPG is a given? There are only 10 players in the entire league averaging double digit boards. Last season there were only 8 players who could do that. I have no idea why you're trying to discredit what he is doing. What's next, you're going to discredit Kobe's 8 assists against the Spurs because he played PG so oh, that's a given? Cmon.

I'm also not sure how you can discredit Lebron because he has Bosh and Ray Allen, but you won't discredit Kobe who has Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol and Steve Nash.

Look, Kobe is doing amazing this year. Enjoy the ride. I hope it continues as long as possible. But he'll be due at some point for a correction and the best case scenario is 46%-49% this season and more realistic is somewhere around 45% or lower. Let's be realistic here.

-_- around 6 rpg is his career average. Thats why i'm assuming that. I'm not discrediting what he's doing. I'm merely stating the obvious. KD plays alot of pf this year as well. And he's averaging 10+ rebounds per game also. I'm just saying that if kobe didn't have 2 seven footers, he'd be averaging much more than 5.5 rpg. Both Pau and Howard average 10.0+ rpg each. Bosh alone averages 7.5. The rebounds have to go somewhere. The assists have been consistent with his career. And the scoring has been below average for him. He hasn't gotten better, or played better. Just don't see it. I'm just saying what I see, and not letting my opinions get influenced. kobe, melo, and lbj are 1, 1A, and 1B in my opinion, if their teams are around the same record with each other at the end of the season. And the stats stay the way they are.

Lebron averages over 7 rebounds per game for his career so I'm not sure where you get 6 from. Are you making that up or intentionally misrepresenting?

To say Kobe would average much more than 5.5 RPG without two 7-footers is nonsense. He averages 5.3 for his career. He has only ever eclipsed the 6 rpg mark 3 times in his career.

"The rebounds have to go somewhere" makes no sense. There are 20 teams in the league without a double digit rebounder. So to discredit his 10 RPG because the rebounds have to go somewhere makes no sense when 67% of the teams in the entire league don't have one.

I understand you don't let your opinions get influenced. Im suggesting that maybe you should. Because when you think you're stating the obvious, you're actually stating incorrect information.
JGC

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:48 am

I'm hoping kobe drops 35+ or something like that against the suns. They usually play horrible D, and kobe has had a few days of rest. Perfect position to take the leading scorer from melo. 26.4 for kobe, 26.8 for melo
King of Clutch

Postby kenzo on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:54 am

My thoughts exactly :man10: I realy don't think they can play with Melo... actually, i don't think many people can play with him :man12:
kenzo

Postby The Rock on Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:57 am

I love Melo. I know his defense is shaky but the guy can score. I dont think hes an alpha dog but he aint a bad number 2 either for a team that has championship aspirations

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:08 am

JGC wrote:
Lebron averages over 7 rebounds per game for his career so I'm not sure where you get 6 from. Are you making that up or intentionally misrepresenting?

I was wrong. I thought it was around 6, not 7. I'll own that.
To say Kobe would average much more than 5.5 RPG without two 7-footers is nonsense. He averages 5.3 for his career. He has only ever eclipsed the 6 rpg mark 3 times in his career.

I don't agree with this statement. Because it's all relative. To say that with kobe's rebounding mentality now, he won't average higher than the 5.5 he's getting without two seven footers on his team, is also non sense. kobe has averaged 6.9 rpg one season, so I think we might get more of those numbers this season, if we didn't have these bigs. But there's no true way of knowing this.
"The rebounds have to go somewhere" makes no sense. There are 20 teams in the league without a double digit rebounder. So to discredit his 10 RPG because the rebounds have to go somewhere makes no sense when 67% of the teams in the entire league don't have one.

I guess you mis interpret what I am telling you about lbj's rebounding. I brought it up because on paper, it seems like he is rebounding better, when in actuality, he's playing pf. Now dont get me wrong, lbj is a good rebounder, at 7 a game. But ask yourself this, do you think its a coincidence that lbj never averaged higher than 7.2 rpg, in his whole career, but averages a whopping 10rpg now that they put him at the small forward position? I'm just saying it has more to do with the line ups, than his actual production. You can dispute that all you want. Thats just how I see it.

I understand you don't let your opinions get influenced. Im suggesting that maybe you should. Because when you think you're stating the obvious, you're actually stating incorrect information.

This is just unnecessary.
King of Clutch

Postby trodgers on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:13 am

Ariza3 wrote:idk about the rest of the season, but right now Kobe is the best player in basketball this season. Easily #1 or #2 on the MVP ladder. Based on the post-Mike Brown Kobe pushes him over Lebron right now. Only thing is the lakers record compared to Lebron's Miami Heat or the Melo's Knicks

Post Mike Brown (2-1 & No Nash):

35.0 MPG
25.0 PPG (75)
53.8% FG (28-52)
46.2% 3PT (6-13)
92.8% FT (13-14)
6.3 RPG (19)
7.0 APG (21)
1.3 SPG (4)
1.3 PF (4)

25/6/7 is unreal for a guy in his 17th season with all his post season minutes without a starting PG. :jam2:

Pretty amazing. Don't forget 50-40-90
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Greatest of All Time on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:58 am

Kobe Bryant was picking the Spurs apart in that faux-pringles pick and roll offense they were running. Imagine prime Kobe Bryant in a pick and roll centric offense..
Greatest of All Time

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:19 am

fkmikebrown wrote:that is a turrible idea. that better have been a joke.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:58 am

trodgers wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:idk about the rest of the season, but right now Kobe is the best player in basketball this season. Easily #1 or #2 on the MVP ladder. Based on the post-Mike Brown Kobe pushes him over Lebron right now. Only thing is the lakers record compared to Lebron's Miami Heat or the Melo's Knicks

Post Mike Brown (2-1 & No Nash):

35.0 MPG
25.0 PPG (75)
53.8% FG (28-52)
46.2% 3PT (6-13)
92.8% FT (13-14)
6.3 RPG (19)
7.0 APG (21)
1.3 SPG (4)
1.3 PF (4)

25/6/7 is unreal for a guy in his 17th season with all his post season minutes without a starting PG. :jam2:

Pretty amazing. Don't forget 50-40-90

My goodness!! Thats unreal!! The 7apg, and 6.3 rpg is most impressive imo. "old" guy like that grabbing 6.3 rebounds with howard and gasol on your team who are a give 10+ rbs per night. Crazy. And the 50-40-90. Wow. This is truly just a better kobe we're seeing. May sound crazy, but certainly the best kobe in the last 2 years. He usually likes to improve his game EVERY summer. I wondered what he would do this time. Already has a killer post game, and jumpshot etc. But he's surprised us again. Came in with a better jumpshot. Better rebounding. and better assisting. Unreal.
King of Clutch

Postby The Rock on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:05 pm

I dont think he can keep this up lol

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby KB24 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:14 pm

Ever since the start of the pre-season Kobe has been on fire.

He looked awful in the olympics and really old...but for whatever reason he is the ol good Kobe.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:16 pm

The Rock wrote:I dont think he can keep this up lol

LOL!! Does sound too good to be true. As long as they win games, i'll be fine with that.
King of Clutch

Postby Jordan-esque on Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:14 pm

The Rock wrote:I dont think he can keep this up lol

On the other hand, it should only get better when Nash gives him better looks.
Lakers Strategy:... 95% :ball3:... +... 5% :ball2:... = 100% :bang:
Jordan-esque

Postby Magic Skywalker on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:04 am

Leading scorer in the NBA :jam2:
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion