Kobe Bryant Discussion: Reason for Lakers downfall?

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: Magic Mamba

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:52 pm

Center Court wrote:after all that Kobe has been though in his illustrious NBA, the peaks the valleys, and everything in between, he;s always been the most dominant scorer. All the rings, stats, records, etc back his legacy up. His scoring prowess is what got him his rings.

At the lowest point in his career, Kobe dug deep into his basketball soul and found himself in a place he;s never been. His answer was to do something he has never done... playmaker before scorer. Wouldn't it be something to see a crazy run into the finals led by this Kobe? Doing all the things everybody said he couldn't or wouldn't?

I ahve to believe that Kobe is trying to reinvent himself to do something that people said and say was impossible.

Hater will still have something to say. Kobe the scorer made them upset because it showcased how great of a player he was so they found something wrong with it when in reality most NBA players love to score even pg's or they wouldn't be playing basketball because you have to score regardless. Kobe Magic Johnson in his 17th season really makes them upset because they felt they can say "I told you so" about his play, but they still can't admit that whether he's scoring or passing he's still a huge part of the success of his team when the ball goes through him. Anti-Kobe peeps are torn on their hatred now.
Jazzygirl205

Kobe’s Defense

Postby lyth on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:59 pm

Here is the log from tonight.

Phoenix (Jan. 30, 2013)
Spoiler:
KOBE’S DEFENSE: 0 pts (1st QTR)
  • 10:10 at-rim Tucker over Bryant (Missed)
  • 7:00 15-feet Dragic over Bryant (Missed)
  • 5:25 23-feet Dudley over Bryant (Missed)
  • 4:20 15-feet Dudley over Bryant (Missed)
  • 1:10 18-feet Brown over Bryant (Missed)
  • 0:05 23-feet Telfair over Bryant (Missed) *Gortat Pick
KOBE’S DEFENSE: 2 pts (2nd QTR)
  • 3:15 23-feet Dragic over Bryant (Missed)
  • 1:00 at-rim Gortat over Bryant (2 pts)
KOBE’S DEFENSE: 0 pts (3rd QTR)
  • 5:25 23-feet Dudley over Bryant (Missed)
  • 3:45 18-feet Brown over Bryant (Missed)
KOBE’S DEFENSE: 3 pts (4th QTR)
  • 6:20 at-rim Beasley over Bryant (Missed)
  • 3:40 23-feet Dudley over Bryant (3 pts)
TUCKER 0-1 FG | DRAGIC 0-2 FG | DUDLEY 1-4 FG | BROWN 0-2 FG | TELFAIR 0-1 | GORTAT 1-1 FG | BEASLEY 0-1 FG
lyth

Postby GoldenChocobo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:00 pm

Even Fisher could have made that layup.
GoldenChocobo

Postby Armani on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:02 pm

You are absolutely great, and our MVP, and have always been stellar... but...

HOW DID YOU MISS THAT LAYUP? A LAYUP? LAYUP?!?!? :man6: :man6: :man6:
Armani

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:06 pm

He's not gonna sleep tonight because that blown layup could have given us a slight chance for a difference maker, I don't know how he blew that layup.
Jazzygirl205

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:08 pm

rusty from facilitating too much.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:09 pm

I can't believe he missed that layup, I've seen it all now. Also, I love him in the new role, but he has to score a LITTLE more than this, it has to be a balance, it can't be all passing with occasional buckets, he's got to still be a scoring threat.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenChocobo on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:10 pm

Jazzygirl205 wrote:He's not gonna sleep tonight because that blown layup could have given us a slight chance for a difference maker, I don't know how he blew that layup.

He's staying in the gym practicing left-handed shots. Watch out for left-handed-off-one-leg-fade-away next game.
GoldenChocobo

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:11 pm

He was really blowing wind tonight, dude looked tired. He had to do it all, since everyone else is either injured, old, or sucks.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby khmrP on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:12 pm

I had a feeling his faciliting ways would affect his late game offense eventually when things went south like today.
khmrP

Postby Finwë on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:17 pm

I love this recent constant passing but there are times I feel he's overdoing it. MWP took 17 shots!
Kobe is still our best scorer, one of the best in the league. Having him share the ball is nice and all but he needs to be a little more agressive looking for his shot too, or else he might not get into rythm in time for crunch time and then we're cooked.

IMO opponents keep doubling him even though they know he's looking to make plays for others way more now because they feel they are gonna get a lot less hurt by Clark / MWP / Jamison than by him. Past few games they just kept doubling. They don't look concerned with this new passing Kobe.
I think he needs to balance it out a bit more. Stay with the passing attitude but look to score a little more. Don't need 9 - 10 assists, get 6-7 and score more and we're better off IMO.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby The Rock on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:18 pm

The Rock wrote:Everbody plays more intense at home i wonder if this facilitating thing would work on the road when Pau and Howard fumbling the ball out of bounds and MWP/Jamison are not knocing down their 3s. Glad hes facilitating hope he doesnt put the ball in non-Nash players' hands late in the shot clock. THats not ideal

I said it this morning :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:19 pm

The Rock wrote:
The Rock wrote:Everbody plays more intense at home i wonder if this facilitating thing would work on the road when Pau and Howard fumbling the ball out of bounds and MWP/Jamison are not knocing down their 3s. Glad hes facilitating hope he doesnt put the ball in non-Nash players' hands late in the shot clock. THats not ideal

so this is your fault! GET HIM *pitchforks*
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby borri on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:27 pm

Finwë wrote:I love this recent constant passing but there are times I feel he's overdoing it. MWP took 17 shots!
Kobe is still our best scorer, one of the best in the league. Having him share the ball is nice and all but he needs to be a little more agressive looking for his shot too, or else he might not get into rythm in time for crunch time and then we're cooked.

IMO opponents keep doubling him even though they know he's looking to make plays for others way more now because they feel they are gonna get a lot less hurt by Clark / MWP / Jamison than by him. Past few games they just kept doubling. They don't look concerned with this new passing Kobe.
I think he needs to balance it out a bit more. Stay with the passing attitude but look to score a little more. Don't need 9 - 10 assists, get 6-7 and score more and we're better off IMO.

What is he supposed to do? We've got a bunch of whiners on our team. All they do is talk about being unselfish and getting everyone involved.

True team play and unselfishness is to recognize where your strengths are as a team. This team wants it best player to shoot less and pass more. Teamball is nice and rosy when guys are making their shots. It freaking sucks when they don't....especially when your best player is the one passing the ball.

It is what it is. THIS is our team. MJ really had it good. It was just him and partly Pippen. The rest didn't care how many touches they got. They just went out there and did their job. PLAY D and not worry about getting touches.

Look at MIA and OKC. MIA...3 scorers + role players who don't [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] and moan about touches. OKC...Westbrook and Durant + role players who don't [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] about touches. Both teams are the best in the NBA. And yeah, they play some damn good defense.

So don't expect Kobe to go back to shooting. It will cause a full blown mutiny. Sadly, it's a mutiny of idiots who don't know/accept their place on the team.
borri

Postby Nashty Gal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:29 pm

and then god said....no, Kobe. you will not make that crucial layup tonight
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby Nashty Gal on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:30 pm

The Rock wrote:

you JINX! :mad1: no tommy's for you :disagree:
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby The Rock on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:31 pm

that layup at the end reminded me of this

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:32 pm

borri wrote:
Finwë wrote:I love this recent constant passing but there are times I feel he's overdoing it. MWP took 17 shots!

What is he supposed to do? We've got a bunch of whiners on our team. All they do is talk about being unselfish and getting everyone involved.

True team play and unselfishness is to recognize where your strengths are as a team. This team wants it best player to shoot less and pass more. Teamball is nice and rosy when guys are making their shots. It freaking sucks when they don't....especially when your best player is the one passing the ball.

It is what it is. THIS is our team. MJ really had it good. It was just him and partly Pippen. The rest didn't care how many touches they got. They just went out there and did their job. PLAY D and not worry about getting touches.

Look at MIA and OKC. MIA...3 scorers + role players who don't [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] and moan about touches. OKC...Westbrook and Durant + role players who don't [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] about touches. Both teams are the best in the NBA. And yeah, they play some damn good defense.

So don't expect Kobe to go back to shooting. It will cause a full blown mutiny. Sadly, it's a mutiny of idiots who don't know/accept their place on the team.

Yes, yes, yes. This is what I've been mentioning often when people want Kobe to play like Kobe-Nash, I often said there's gonna be games where his teammates are cold or streaky so what is he suppose to do? Kobe's streaky himself, but sometimes we have to deal the consequences of which Kobe we're gonna see.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Finwë on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:37 pm

borri wrote:

I agree completely but I never said that Kobe needs "to go back to shooting". I said that he should try to keep this sharing the ball attitude but maybe take just a lil bit more shots, mostly to get into a better scoring rythm (for crunch time, where he'll need to shoot more) and also to better threaten the D. If he's just passing then the D can cover the lanes and the angles better because they expect him to do just that, if he switched back and forth from that and scoring a little more often it would put the D on their heels (? spelling) even moreso.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby kobebryant248 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:41 pm

so like i said he overdid it tonight . he wasn t even looking to score . he passed to much . he had no balance . it was only passing . but he has also to be a threat on scoring so passing and scoring he has to do. he has to find the balance. a kobe with shooting rhymn wouldn t blown that layup but the fact he had no rhytmn because of to much passing he blew the layup. he facilitated to much and had no rhytmn on shooting when it was needed. i bet he will find a little more balance on his game vs t wolves on friday
kobebryant248

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:44 pm

Someone said Kobe looked winded, so I don't think he can sustain playing shooter/passer, while guarding the other team's best player he'll lose rhythm at any point and be tired as well.
Jazzygirl205

Postby borri on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:49 pm

kobebryant248 wrote:so like i said he overdid it tonight . he wasn t even looking to score . he passed to much . he had no balance . it was only passing . but he has also to be a threat on scoring so passing and scoring he has to do. he has to find the balance. a kobe with shooting rhymn wouldn t blown that layup but the fact he had no rhytmn because of to much passing he blew the layup. he facilitated to much and had no rhytmn on shooting when it was needed. i bet he will find a little more balance on his game vs t wolves on friday

Feed me Kobe. Stop feeding me Kobe. Why did you stop feeding me Kobe. If I were Kobe, i'd just throw my hands up and say screw this.

People act like it real easy to find that balance. It's not. We wouldn't suck so bad if it was. It's really really really hard to find balance in an environment of mismatched parts.

Worst of all, and it grates me like nothing else when players need to get "involved" offensively to play better defense. When your team is like this, Lakers last 3 years, you aren't gonna win squat.

Too many mouths to feed. Too many egos to satiate.
borri

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:52 pm

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
Kobe praised Lakers' defense tonight. Overall, Kobe said: "I'm not too concerned."
dwighthowardsdad

Postby borri on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:53 pm

Jazzygirl205 wrote:Someone said Kobe looked winded, so I don't think he can sustain playing shooter/passer, while guarding the other team's best player he'll lose rhythm at any point and be tired as well.

List of chores for Kobe on the basketball court:

1. Score.
2. Pass. Be the main initiator.
3. Defend the opp's best backcourt player.
4. Babysit the egos of his teammates by getting them involved so that they'll play better D.
5. If passing the ball isn't working....shoot more, find balance....all while trying to do 1-4.

What else does he need to do?
borri

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:59 pm

borri wrote:
Jazzygirl205 wrote:Someone said Kobe looked winded, so I don't think he can sustain playing shooter/passer, while guarding the other team's best player he'll lose rhythm at any point and be tired as well.

List of chores for Kobe on the basketball court:

1. Score.
2. Pass. Be the main initiator.
3. Defend the opp's best backcourt player.
4. Babysit the egos of his teammates by getting them involved so that they'll play better D.
5. If passing the ball isn't working....shoot more, find balance....all while trying to do 1-4.

What else does he need to do?

Nothing. He's doing as much as a 34 y/o man can do with as much mileage on his body can do; simple as that. He shouldn't have to do all those things to begin with; although, we didn't know that at the beginning of the season when we acquired Howard & Nash. I thought Kobe would have more help and flourish playing next to Nash. It didn't work out that way.

Now, it's the FO's job to decide what to do. Metta, Pau, Devin, Morris, Blake, Duhon are all deadweight contracts that we need to move to get other younger pieces to actually balance out this roster. It will be more evident after this roadtrip that this roster just isn't suitable to win enough games to get into the PO's, IMO...
Last edited by dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
dwighthowardsdad

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion