Kobe Thread: Bucher- Kobe = Father of Team USA Success p.819

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: Magic Mamba

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:15 pm

Man is there anything cooler looking than those? Off the dribble one handed between defenders that far away to someone streaking. Magic :jam2: :bow:
LTLakerFan

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:09 pm

I haven't seen a lot of people saying Kobe isn't a playmaker, I see people, including myself, saying he's not a PG. Running the offense should not be his job with Nash brought in, but hey, if it works and he wants to and Nash doesn't care being SG, I'm all for it.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby King of Clutch on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:15 pm

scissors wrote:Kobe needs to keep this up. Even on some nights if the players are not hitting their shots, he needs to let them know that he still has confidence in them. Kobe basically has to feed them like babies or else they are gonna cry like babies.

LOL!!! Its extremely sad, but its also very true.
King of Clutch

Postby XXIV on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Weezy wrote:I haven't seen a lot of people saying Kobe isn't a playmaker, I see people, including myself, saying he's not a PG. Running the offense should not be his job with Nash brought in, but hey, if it works and he wants to and Nash doesn't care being SG, I'm all for it.

Like you said, if it works let's keep it up. However, I don't see Kobe playing like the PG like he as for the past two games throughout the rest of the season. Not because he couldn't but rather he will likely try and get his own if his teammates aren't hitting their shots early, and that's when Nash really needs to come in and take control of the offense.
XXIV

Postby revgen on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:20 pm

The offense we're running now kinda gives me the impression of Lebron-ball that MB ran in Cleveland, only way way smarter and more sophisticated. It's basically a Kobe-centric offense. Either Kobe scores, Kobe makes a play for somebody else, or Kobe gets a hockey assist by passing it to either Pau/Nash and they make the play. Not quite as sophisticated as the triangle, but not so frickin' predictable against elite defensive teams in a 7 game series like Lebron-ball was. We have some P&R, off-ball screens (perfectly set by Nash), cutters off double-teams, onball screens off the post (instead of the top of the key the way Lebron did), and backdoor plays for D12.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby dj vitus on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:22 pm

I wonder what is the Lakers' W/L record with Kobe having 10 or more assists?
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby XXIV on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:27 pm

revgen wrote:The offense we're running now kinda gives me the impression of Lebron-ball that MB ran in Cleveland, only way way smarter and more sophisticated. It's basically a Kobe-centric offense. Either Kobe scores, Kobe makes a play for somebody else, or Kobe gets a hockey assist by passing it to either Pau/Nash and they make the play. Not quite as sophisticated as the triangle, but not so frickin' predictable against elite defensive teams in a 7 game series like Lebron-ball was. We have some P&R, off-ball screens (perfectly set by Nash), cutters off double-teams, onball screens off the post (instead of the top of the key the way Lebron did), and backdoor plays for D12.

That's actually a good comparison and thankfully there's more to it than just having Kobe iso and kick out like it was for Lebron. Another thing to add is that it's really difficult for teams to double on Kobe (or any player on this team) because of how talented we are. Whether it's Pau, MWP, Nash, Dwight, or Kobe whoever they leave open will likely find a way to put the ball in the basket.
XXIV

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: Dead legs

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:31 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
KareemTheGreat33 wrote:This season embarasses him so he's willing to forego the scoring title and get to the play-offs at least.

Wow what a sucky post and great gif to show it :man10:

On second thought if you meant how the rest of the team around him was approaching this year, then not so sucky. Apologies. But only if you meant that. :man10:

So in your mind he wasn't going for the scoring title when he went on a scoring binge, Lakers were losing, there was no adjustments on his part then. When he creates his teammates are happy, there is movement, there's cohesion.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:42 pm

Kobe doesn't go for scoring titles at the expense of winning, he could have played and tried for it last season and he didn't. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous, he was playing to win, doing what he thought he needed to win. Clearly it wasn't working and he has changed it up, not on his own, after that team meeting, which means it was probably suggested by teammates and maybe even the coach.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:58 pm

LOS ANGELES -- Thought Mike D'Antoni's offense was a bad fit for these Lakers? Guess what. They're not running it.

This shouldn't be a huge secret, considering that the person best fitted for running D'Antoni's sets, Steve Nash, has been playing off the ball the last two games.

When the Lakers hit their breaking point this week with a pathetic 0-3 road trip that brought them eight games under .500 at just past the midway point of the season, D'Antoni was taking just as much heat as anybody for being unwilling to change his system.

Well, playing Kobe Bryant, one of the top shooting guards ever to lace them up, at point guard is as drastic a change as they come.

"This isn't necessarily any offense," Nash said after the Lakers' 105-96 win over the Oklahoma City Thunder on Sunday. "This is bringing the ball down, calling over a pick and playing the game and because we have good players on the floor, when (Bryant) distributes we can make them pay for leaning too much to Kobe. When they lean too much to us, he makes them pay."

Bryant has excelled at running the point, picking up 28 assists in the two Lakers wins against Utah and Oklahoma City -- and so has the Lakers' offense as a whole. They're averaging 103.5 points per game while shooting a combined 84-for-154 from the field (54.5 percent) and had five players with 14 points or more against the Jazz and six players in double figures against the Thunder.

Only three times through the first 1,203 games of Bryant's career had he played more than 30 minutes and tallied more assists than field-goal attempts. Now, he's done it two times in a row in games Nos. 1,204 and 1,205.

"I think we played easy," D'Antoni said. "Everybody can contribute and Kobe starts it, just sharing the ball and he hasn't forced a shot."

Even more efficient than the Lakers offense as a whole has been Bryant's individual output. He's 15-for-22 (68.2 percent) in the last two games.

D'Antoni was asked if Bryant can keep this up.

"Oh yeah," D'Antoni said. "This is easier than the other way. This is much easier, I think. This is great. I hope he's having fun, that's the biggest thing and understanding this is the way to go."

The "fun" part of that answer can't be overlooked, because everyone knows how much Bryant enjoys scoring points. There's a reason why he became just the fifth player in league history to reach the 30,000-point plateau earlier this season. Bryant was averaging 28.7 points per game coming into Sunday, third best in the league and in striking distance of Oklahoma City's Kevin Durant who is No. 1 with a 29.6 average.

There was a thought that Bryant's streak of four straight 40-point games early on last season messed up that campaign from that point on because it left him not only chasing wins but also gunning for a third scoring title. He is averaging just 17.5 points per game in the last two games. He'll have to be OK with scoring in that range if this will have any chance of working.

It sounds like Bryant has accepted it willingly.

"I'm just open up to all possibilities," Bryant said. "You just try to lay in bed at night and think about how we'll attack this thing and what are we going to do, what I can do to help us win ballgames. It seems like I kind of got my finger on the pulse a little bit."

L.A. was close to flatlining before this change came about. When things got bad in Memphis, D'Antoni likened the Lakers to a mismatched All-Star team.

"Have you ever watched an All-Star game? It's god-awful," D'Antoni said. "Everybody gets the ball and goes one-on-one and then they play no defense. That's our team. That's us."

The thing about All-Stars, however, is they're also really good at their sport. They're talented enough to play a slight variation of the way they're used to and still be just as effective. They're also intelligent enough to realize that individual sacrifice can benefit the group. The problem is, being superstars, they're usually stubborn enough that it can take time before a change can really take place.

It's taken some sacrifice from the coach who can be stubborn, too. D'Antoni has had to relent to what his players wanted. But was it his idea? What inspired Bryant to grab control of the wheel is a little clouded.

"(D'Antoni is) telling us to go but sometimes you can't get those engines to start up that fast," said Dwight Howard, who has been the most vocal critic of D'Antoni's offense this season, clamoring for more post-up opportunities.

Are the Lakers listening to D'Antoni's direction?

"We listen," Howard said. "But we're the guys out there playing. We see things that sometimes the coaches may not see. We're an opportunity fastbreak team right now because we don't have a lot of speed. When we get the ball in the half court, we still can move and do all the things out of the offense. He wants us to stay spread, which for the most part we do."

Insubordination? Inmates running the asylum? Maybe for a team without the talent that the Lakers have. But not for these guys. It has worked because D'Antoni has let go a little and the players have committed to being on the same page.

It shouldn't matter who should get credit for the change, because it's in everybody's best interest associated with the Lakers to simply win games by any means necessary.

"Finally we hit rock bottom and who knows why things stick (but) it does and they decided to do this," D'Antoni said. "And, it's good."

If you think of the only other part of the season when the Lakers looked this good, it was their 4-1 record under interim coach Bernie Bickerstaff. The reason they looked so good under "Bernie Ball" was because the veteran coach basically rolled the ball out and told them to trust their instincts. They're doing that again now even better because that air-it-out meeting in Memphis seems to have built trust in one another to go along with those instincts.

D'Antoni's been praised by Bryant himself as an "offensive genius," but he's had to sacrifice his ego to realize his system wasn't ideal for this group, just like Bryant's had to cool down his individual scoring, and Nash has had to deal with not always having the ball in his hands for the first time since Jason Kidd was his teammate, and Howard has had to adjust to less shots, and Pau Gasol has had to accept coming off the bench.

"There is an adjustment but I think the key for us is to not look at the past and how we played in the past individually and say, ‘Hey, I had success doing it this way,'" Nash said.

Just like D'Antoni has had to bend from how he's coached in the past.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/lak ... se-ditched
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:02 pm

So basically they're playing like under Bernie, no real offense, just the players doing what they know how to do as intelligent basketball vets. So we hired a coach for his offense, that we had to stop running to start winning, brilliant. What purpose does this guy serve exactly?
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:05 pm

Hasnt he always played this way my goodness what are you guys seeing LOL. All of 08 to 2010 he always passed the ball first, got the bigs going and then took over scoring responsibilities late in the 2Q and we rode that. He averaged 7.5 assists a game in the 2009 NBA Finals. HELLO!

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:13 pm

Darnell Mayberry: Westbrook on his dust-up w/ Kobe: "He pushed me. That's what happened. I just got pushed... Twitter @DarnellMayberry

Darnell Mayberry: Westbrook cont.: "I don't mind talking. But I don't like nobody putting their hands on me." Twitter @DarnellMayberry

what a lier. i watched that play like 10 times trying to figure out what happened and westbrook was chasing down kobe and went for the strip, made a little contact, then full on grabbed kobe's leg and pull up with it which got kobe mad and so he pushed him then westbrook pushed him back. it would have been a normal strip or foul whatever but he decided to intentionally grab kobe's thigh and pull up after the strip.

i hate westbrook, hes talented and athletic but hes a punk. he was going at it at a fan tonight and few games ago he even blocked Rocky's halfcourt shots at the nuggets game twice....like who does that? its a mascot relax dude.
Ariza3

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:15 pm

Wah, mommy he pushed me! Dude sounds 5 years old, he's a fake tough guy, a little b****, if he wasn't he would keep what happened to himself like Kobe does, not cry about it.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:17 pm

LOL! Westbrook is a talented guy; he's acts like an idiot at times, though.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:32 pm

revgen wrote:The offense we're running now kinda gives me the impression of Lebron-ball that MB ran in Cleveland, only way way smarter and more sophisticated. It's basically a Kobe-centric offense. Either Kobe scores, Kobe makes a play for somebody else, or Kobe gets a hockey assist by passing it to either Pau/Nash and they make the play. Not quite as sophisticated as the triangle, but not so frickin' predictable against elite defensive teams in a 7 game series like Lebron-ball was. We have some P&R, off-ball screens (perfectly set by Nash), cutters off double-teams, onball screens off the post (instead of the top of the key the way Lebron did), and backdoor plays for D12.

Agreed.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Maluco Beleza on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:42 pm

if kobe plays like this no way he isn't the 'best player' in the nba easily
Maluco Beleza

Postby DeepFrost on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:49 pm

Wonder what Hov said to Kobe after the buzzer...
DeepFrost

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:50 pm

Westbrook is really a b****. He's nothing but a total punk b****. If I were playing with that guy in the gym, I'd give him a nasty hit.

If I could catch him :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:58 pm

The amount of things Brickbrook has to say or do to get a technical is mindblowing ...

Fantastic game by Kobe ... I was surprised by his "jump passes" , usually he's a TO machine when he leaves his feet and passes ...

Living in the post and no 3 pts attempts for the 2nd consecutive games ... perfect approach
wcsoldier81

Postby bumrusherer on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:05 am

I dont know why but I was scanning twitter atter the game.

It is smazing how the media's narrative on Kobe has molded the minds of so many Basketabll fans. Kobe has played games like that on numerous occasions over the past 17 seasons....its like folks forget that he has won titles pretty much playing the tole as the point guard. Feeding Shaq first and then closing in the 4th,

It doesnt mean he will play like this forever but people need to stop acting like he hasnt done this before.
bumrusherer

Postby Snake Eyes on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:09 am

dj vitus wrote:I wonder what is the Lakers' W/L record with Kobe having 10 or more assists?

This season the Lakers are 3-0 when Kobe has 10+ assists (source).

I am really bored at my new apartment so I looked up each season. Throughout his career, Kobe logged 10 or more assists on 73 separate occasions. The Lakers are 52-21 (.712) in those games. There are three seasons where he did not compile 10 or more assists in a game: 1996-1997, 1997-1998, and 2011-2012.

Just in case you want to double check my research, I included the links to each season below. You should be able to simply click the link and it will bring up pre-sorted assist numbers. From there, you can see the wins and losses which correspond to each game on the left side after the opponent (Opp) category.

Last edited by Snake Eyes on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Snake Eyes

Postby Weezy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:10 am

He did the exact same thing the year he won MVP, and he did it along the way to those 2 championships with Pau as well, having big clutch scoring games along the way (like against Phoenix for one). This isn't new, he's just taking less shots, guys are moving, involved, he's finding them and they are delivering. When we have the talent for that to happen Kobe will play that way, and right now the talent we have is stepping up and making it work.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:13 am

dj vitus wrote:I wonder what is the Lakers' W/L record with Kobe having 10 or more assists?

52-21
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:14 am

^Great Stat. It's much needed with this team. When Kobe takes the lead & sets the tone facilitating, it becomes infectious. Can he sustain it? I think so. He can alleviate some of Nash's responsibilities; all the while Nash can work to the open spaces and knock down shots. At this stage in Kobe's career, I would love to see him work out of the post the majority of the time. He has his way down there with whoever his guarding him...
dwighthowardsdad

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion