Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Kobe Bryant Appreciation Thread.

Postby killamangiro on Sat May 23, 2009 11:19 pm

the greatest!
killamangiro

Postby LakersFirst007 on Sat May 23, 2009 11:53 pm

With 41 points in Game 3 vs. the Nuggets, Kobe Bryant eclipsed his own Lakers' record for points scored in the first three games of a conference final
LakersFirst007

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun May 24, 2009 12:13 am

ooh nice stat
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Sun May 24, 2009 4:30 am

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby LeX Da KiD on Sun May 24, 2009 5:00 am

Kobe the GOAT!!!
LeX Da KiD

Postby KB24 on Sun May 24, 2009 5:17 am

LeX Da KiD wrote:Kobe the GOAT!!!

crack kills

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby The Original 81 on Sun May 24, 2009 12:11 pm

KB24@CL wrote:
LeX Da KiD wrote:Kobe the GOAT!!!

crack kills

lol, you've been putting Kobe down a lot recently KB, i was surprised you made that thread about the 3.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby KB24 on Sun May 24, 2009 2:07 pm

^ok can't disagree...

I was putting Kobe down but not because I think he is garbage. Because I felt he gets cought too much in this "my mission is to lead" and "I don't need to do too much anymore". As you see some games you need him to be in attack mode.

For example in the second half against Houston in game 4...he didn't even take a shot...he scored just 2 points on FTs and finished with 15 points...and in march he was in a looong slump which I don't have a problem with. But him always going for the J instead of attacking the rim, just playing smart basketball is really bothersome.

against Denver he has done a wonderful job so far. Can't say anything negative.

that 3 tho...that was one of those shots again...it goes in and he is a hero, it goes out and its the dumbest shot in NBA history...what I appreciate is that he isn't afraid of the consequences.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Ras Algethi on Sun May 24, 2009 2:11 pm

^ I just think you want Kobe to be Lebron. He's not. Lebron does somethings better than Kobe, Kobe does a lot of things better than Lebron. It's just the way it is. Your expectations are causing you to be super critical of Kobe.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby knm131 on Sun May 24, 2009 3:28 pm

Agreed two0one7.

It's more of a misunderstanding of WHO Kobe is, than anything else.

It reminds me of when Nash was winning MVPs. Laker haters would say, see, that's an MVP, he sets up all his teammates for easy buckets.

So I'd turn to them and say, "Are you saying a center or power forward should NEVER EVER win an MVP since they can't set up their teammates for easy buckets?" to which they'd respond "No but they aren't supposed to do that, that's the team's PG that does that".

To which I would say back, "Kobe's been in the league for a dozen years, and all this time you thought he was a point guard? Wow, that's really dumb."

Kobe's best skillset is as a scorer first. That is why he is on the court. Secondarily, it is to defend and pass the ball. For a guy like Nash, it's pass first. Then shoot. For a guy like Dwight, his primary role is to grab boards, block shots and be a force in the paint, then score.

Kobe may not be better than Lebron at passing and setting up his teammates, but he is a substantially better scorer and especially so in the clutch.
knm131

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed May 27, 2009 11:15 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Weezy on Wed May 27, 2009 11:21 pm

Kobe was doing that stuff on the bench and Spike Lee wasn't even filming him?!?? I'm shocked, no way dude, I just don't believe it.

As for the game, really solid. Only thing that annoys me is Wilbon after the game AGAIN talking about how Kobe took few shots so it was good for us. You know if we'd lost they'd be saying Kobe didn't try hard enough, he tanked to prove a point to his teammates or some crap. But, because the passes he made turned into assists it's all good. My point is that Kobe is very good, he knows what he's doing and what each game requires from him, there's no agenda other than a championship.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed May 27, 2009 11:24 pm

^^ True, true.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Wed May 27, 2009 11:25 pm

Bryant played an efficient game where he blended his scoring and facilitating for the benefit of the squad. He managed the game as opposed to taking over it.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Alicantino on Thu May 28, 2009 2:23 am

Yesterday I watched the best kobe this season, why? because he was a leader and he played with a team and not in mode "I´m the only one in this team". He was great and I think that had a great influence in order to the team was great. :bow: :bow: :bow:
Alicantino

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Thu May 28, 2009 11:13 am

I hate when fans complain about which Kobe shows up because it usually ends in a spoiled rant. I know alot of CL fans here have their favorite Lakers other than Kobe and they feel when Kobe is needed to carry the team their favorite guy isn't getting any shine. But I hate when fans confuse that with him wanting to be the show, when that's not the case. His offense is one of our most lethal pieces of our teams production and when we need him to go 1 on 5 in clutch moments whether it's needed early or late then we need him. When other star players or other players in general are the consuming majority of their team's points to help them win they're called "Heroes" and people start oosing and guhsing with amazement and compliments because they've just stacked their stat sheets to will their team to a win. Alot of Laker fans complain when Kobe does it, because alot of Laker fans aren't Kobe fans but are moreso fans of the other players on our team and they feel their guys aren't getting any shine. It shouldn't be that way or some of our fans shouldn't feel that way.

Like before the game yesterday a day before yesterday rather alot of guys on here were talking about how they want to see Kobe in a more passive mode and playing PG, as I've said repeadly he's not a P.G., but how he needs to trust his teammates etc. Then when he's too passive and wants to let his teammates be the go to option then fans here and elsewhere starts complaining and saying how "He's not playing. He stopped competing, why isn't he taking it over for us why did he quit etc". Alot of our fans are spoiled and selfish when it comes to Kobe, some don't like him but they want him to help the TEAM AND THE TRADIONED ORGANIZATION WIN A TITLE, and they want him to play the way they want him to play or they won't be satisfied. Let the man do his thing, if it weren't for him being on our team the team wouldn't be where it's at today. He is and was a major part of that 3peat we had a few years ago so give the man some breathing room and stop asking of so much from him.

Jazzygirl205

Postby GNC on Thu May 28, 2009 11:22 am

lol its funny kobe takes 13 shots and people still hate on him. too funny.

lebron takes 29 shots bricks free throws in the fourth quarter turns it over in critical possessions and he tried his best.

my mvp = kobe idc what the world say!
GNC

Postby Venomenon on Thu May 28, 2009 11:24 am

aansari wrote:my mvp = kobe idc what the world say!
Venomenon

Postby from714to402 on Thu May 28, 2009 11:24 am

from714to402 wrote:I appreciate Kobe Bean Bryant
from714to402

Postby GNC on Thu May 28, 2009 11:39 am

from714to402 wrote:
from714to402 wrote:I appreciate Kobe Bean Bryant

i quote you for quoting you :jam2:
kwembinekwek wrote:
aansari wrote:my mvp = kobe idc what the world say!

who are those women :man13:
GNC

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu May 28, 2009 11:42 am

After Game 4, our quiet guys actually started talking. Pau wanted more touches and emphasized that the ball needed to work inside out. LO said the ball distribution needed to involve more people.

In Game 4, you have Kobe taking 26 shots and the next Laker took 11 (Pau). But the worst part of that was, Kobe taking 10 3s and only connecting on 2 of them. He still went 12-13 from the charity stripe and that allowed many to at least appreciate Kobe's effort in going to the cup.

But some of these comments were made and Kobe could have gone either way. There would have been a day where Kobe completely checks out of the ball game and doesn't attempt one shot. But instead, what does Kobe do?

He LEADS! He knew that LA needed a better game plan and he ended up playmaking in Game 5. We established Drew early and even Pau deferred to him. Kobe set up alot of shots and they started dropping for us in the third quarter. But it was beautiful to see Kobe remain patient with it and lure the defense to overload on him so that he can make a play for his guys.

He had 7 turnovers, but they were the type of turnovers that you can shrug off cause he was so actively trying to get his guys. He took 6 threes, but of those, there were a couple where his teammates passed back to Kobe late in the shot clock and Kobe had no choice but to fork one up.

Kobe played a helluva game yesterday and I really appreciate a Kobe that's more mature and more oriented to the fact that titles are won by great teams...not great individuals. I don't know how any basketball enthusiast can criticize Kobe's game yesterday. It was a beautiful thing to watch as he surgically deemed the Nuggets defense inept.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Basketball Fan on Thu May 28, 2009 11:42 am

Weezy wrote:Kobe was doing that stuff on the bench and Spike Lee wasn't even filming him?!?? I'm shocked, no way dude, I just don't believe it.

As for the game, really solid. Only thing that annoys me is Wilbon after the game AGAIN talking about how Kobe took few shots so it was good for us. You know if we'd lost they'd be saying Kobe didn't try hard enough, he tanked to prove a point to his teammates or some crap. But, because the passes he made turned into assists it's all good. My point is that Kobe is very good, he knows what he's doing and what each game requires from him, there's no agenda other than a championship.

Wilbon is a shameless Chicago homer...
Basketball Fan

Postby Weezy on Fri May 29, 2009 8:30 pm

People can say what they want about Kobe, and the critics comments about him not winning one without Shaq are completely true. It's also true that he hasn't had a really great Finals so there's that to make up for as well. BUT, his historical greatness has to be recognized, he's now going to his 6th NBA Finals and 2nd in a row with this team. He's taken his team to the Finals 2 years in a row, how many guys can say that, how many guys can say they went to 6 Finals (regardless of win/loss record)? That's amazing, we are watching something special (I know we already know but still), some teams and even great players never even get there. You can talk about if he's a nice guy or not, about his style of leadership or whatever, but look at the results when he has a decent team around him, he gets results.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby nameant on Fri May 29, 2009 8:31 pm

Thank you Jerry West.
nameant

Postby Ras Algethi on Fri May 29, 2009 8:39 pm

Masterful performance, Kobe.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion