Kobe Thread: Bucher- Kobe = Father of Team USA Success p.819

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: Magic Mamba

Postby Weezy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Jazzygirl205 wrote:Since Kobe passed MJ on the all time assists list where does that put him on your list, well for those who still have him outside of your top 10 or top 5? That's a pretty cool accomplishment since he's so selfish and all? Call me silly but I always thought the selfish argument was to deflect from him as a great scorer. While us Laker fans prefer this Kobe, others are saying "Yay no more scoring Kobe no more scoring titles" of course bean doesn't care. But other players are always begged to score and have these explosive scoring runs, and people enjoy it. Still mind boggling how people still get up in arms about comparing him to MJ opposed to other players. But Kobe is Kobe I rather Kobe be compared to Kobe since it's like 3 different versions of him lol. Only get one player like this in a lifetime, too bad I never saw him in person.

I don't think Kobe passing MJ on the all time assists lists means a ton as far as all time player standings go. Kobe's playing in his 17th season and has never missed significant time, MJ played 15 and one season only played 18 games and another only played 17. Their career average is very close though, 4.7 for Kobe, 5.3 for MJ, so both averaged 5 apg rounded out. That shows it's untrue overall that Kobe doesn't pass and is selfish and those that used to say MJ made the game a one on one sport an ruined it were also wrong IMO.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:29 pm

last stand wrote:i think when it's all said and done

MJ>lebron>kobe>magic

That's a pretty loaded argument, I personally don't see LeBron passing Magic or Kobe, and I'm not sure Kobe has passed Magic either. Look at Magics finals appearances and title count, unless LeBron can come close to that I don't think his yearly stats trump that, same with he and Kobe, he's gotta some catching up to do to even match Kobe.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:19 pm

LeBron isn't that far off from Kobe and imo it's pretty much a given he will pass him. He'll probably win 3-4 rings and win FMVP in all of them while continuing to win MVP awards and pile up ridiculous stats. And there's really no threat in the league other than Durant.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:23 pm

I'd take Kobe on my team any day over LeBron.
Chillbongo

Postby Lakers808 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:28 pm

all i can say to kobe is to look more often to pass the ball, forget how much points you get each game, focus more on team play , get team involved from the start
Lakers808

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:35 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:LeBron isn't that far off from Kobe and imo it's pretty much a given he will pass him. He'll probably win 3-4 rings and win FMVP in all of them while continuing to win MVP awards and pile up ridiculous stats. And there's really no threat in the league other than Durant.

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby borri on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:39 pm

MJ>lebron>kobe>magic

Whatever it may be. This I do know. From a pure physical attribute standpoint, Kobe has done more with less than anyone in not name KAJ in the history of the NBA.
borri

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:49 pm

borri wrote:

MJ>lebron>kobe>magic

Whatever it may be. This I do know. From a pure physical attribute standpoint, Kobe has done more with less than anyone in not name KAJ in the history of the NBA.

Heck, probably more than KAJ. Cap was tall as **** :man10:

Kobe's never been the tallest. He's never been able to jump the highest. He's never been the quickest. He's never been the strongest.

What the man has done with his "limitations" physically is just absolutely astounding.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby phoenixrisingla on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:04 pm

therealdeal wrote:
borri wrote:

MJ>lebron>kobe>magic

Kobe's never been the tallest. He's never been able to jump the highest. He's never been the quickest. He's never been the strongest.

What the man has done with his "limitations" physically is just absolutely astounding.

Agree with everything you guys said.

And I dont want to take anything away from people who are physical beasts like LBJ, but Kobe is one of the truest skill players in history.
phoenixrisingla

Postby trodgers on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:06 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:LeBron isn't that far off from Kobe and imo it's pretty much a given he will pass him. He'll probably win 3-4 rings and win FMVP in all of them while continuing to win MVP awards and pile up ridiculous stats. And there's really no threat in the league other than Durant.

Yeah, probably.

blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Wrath12X on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:10 pm

There is NO WAY, I would take Lebron not even after Kobe retires. F Lebron :mad1:
Wrath12X

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Wrath12X wrote:There is NO WAY, I would take Lebron not even after Kobe retires. F Lebron :mad1:

Well I like winning and he's the best player in the world right now...

I'll take him as soon as he and Kobe are willing to play together. I'd take him right now.

Our team is sub .500 right now, so let's not make any bones about it. We could use anything and that guy is definitely something we could use.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KB24 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:22 pm

I would also rather have Durant than LeBron but you take what you get. LeBron's issue for me is that he isn't exactly young. He is an extremely old 28 year old...assuming we would get him he would be on the wrong side of 30 with anormous mile age and considering how he depends on his athleticism and physical attributes...it makes me cringe.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Well Durant has Kobe's mentality scoring the ball, but far more talent on that end. The dude's body is the weirdest thing in the league. He'll be a mismatch until the day he dies.

All around though, he's not as good as LeBron. I'd probably want Durant too just on likeability and I think he'd be more fun to root for.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby phoenixrisingla on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:30 pm

Wrath12X wrote:There is NO WAY, I would take Lebron not even after Kobe retires. F Lebron :mad1:

phoenixrisingla

Postby Weezy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:31 pm

So Kobe can't pass or even equal Jordan in the media's/public's eyes even if he wins 7 titles, but LeBron can pass Kobe if he wins 3 or 4, ok. Kobe's had a better, longer carter, and still probably will when LeBron is done, I don't see him going 18 seasons. Give me prime Kobe over prime LeBron as well, if Kobe had a "superteam" around him in his prime he'd have a few more rings as well.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:35 pm

therealdeal wrote:
borri wrote:

MJ>lebron>kobe>magic

Simply put, Kobe is pretty gosh darn good........understatement of the decade. :bow: :jam2:
borri

Postby borri on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:41 pm

Weezy wrote:

So Kobe can't pass or even equal Jordan in the media's/public's eyes even if he wins 7 titles, but LeBron can pass Kobe if he wins 3 or 4, ok. Kobe's had a better, longer carter, and still probably will when LeBron is done, I don't see him going 18 seasons. Give me prime Kobe over prime LeBron as well, if Kobe had a "superteam" around him in his prime he'd have a few more rings as well.

Kobe did have a superteam. If only he and Shaq got along........ :man6:
borri

Postby phoenixrisingla on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:46 pm

borri wrote:
Weezy wrote:

We used Shaq for pretty much all he was worth (which was a lot).

He got one more chip motivated mostly by spite from being traded, then quickly reverted to his 2004 self after winning again. Love Diesel, but we were'nt going to get much more even if he and Kobe were budz.
phoenixrisingla

Postby Weezy on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:49 pm

borri wrote:
Weezy wrote:

I'm taking about his absolute prime, 04/05 - 09/10, 3 wasted years playing with scrubs, then 3 with a good team and we see the difference. It happens though, teams can't w loaded every single season, I don't blame the Lakers at all. When he did have a superteam, or even one other star with him and good role players we see the results, championships, finals appearances, or at least being a contender. Kobe won 2 titles with less than LeBron won his one with IMO.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:25 pm

Trevor Wong ‏@Trevor_Wong
Kobe: "I was probably born a scorer, but I was made a winner. Whatever works, whatever wins championships, wins games, that's what I do."

https://twitter.com/Trevor_Wong
XXIV

Postby karacha on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:27 pm

Great statement. Kobe is actually one of the rare players who can transform their games in order to win. He is extremely versatile when he wants to be.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:35 pm

Really not about to have this argument since it's obvious I won't change anyone's mind here. But yeah baring major injury I'm 100% sure LeBron will surpass Kobe by the time their careers are over.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:37 pm

The heads on the radio said this (which I doubt, but it's a fun topic right now):

The first half of the season Kobe lead the league in scoring or close to it...

In the second half of the season what if Kobe lead the league in assists?

Would that be one of the greatest feats in NBA history? And if this lead to a playoff charge, would that be an MVP type of performance?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:47 pm

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing
Career assists: Kobe Bryant 5,644, Michael Jordan 5,633.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion