Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Wolverine Discussion: 3 months ahead of schedule! p.682

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Nelly probably wanted some love from Kobe back when Nelly was at the top of his game but Kobe didnt give him any. In the end, screw nelly.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:28 pm

LA Lakers @ LA Times ‏@latimeslakers 1m
Lakers' Jim Buss says Kobe Bryant could return in preseason http://lat.ms/12PN7GL
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:49 pm

:man3:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby gcclaker on Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:57 pm

JSM wrote:
Lakers' Jim Buss says Kobe Bryant could return in preseason http://lat.ms/12PN7GL

:man3: I hope 24 is not pushing it too fast. Is this even normal for any athlete?
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby unpossibl1 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:15 pm

gcclaker wrote:
JSM wrote:

:man3: I hope 24 is not pushing it too fast. Is this even normal for any athlete?

Kobe coming back too soon could doom the Lakers in a couple of ways. First off, obviously no one wants to see him rush back and get hurt again. My understanding is that his achilles will actually be stronger now, but I could see him injuring something else because he is trying to compensate for the lack of strength/explosiveness.

Secondly, we aren't going to win it all this season. Our absolute best-case scenario is to make the second round of the playoffs, and that would require a come-together-as-one, everyone clicking, D'Antoni's system working, injury free year. We would look much more attractive to free agents if the season went down that way, but it's a tall order.

More likely than not the Lakers are going to be fighting for the 8th seed, which is exactly what cannot happen. This needs to be a boom or bust season. If Kobe misses the first few months and the Lakers come together and run off a bunch of wins then great, bring him back and make a push towards relevancy. If they lose a bunch and seem destined to miss out on the playoffs then the minutes need to go to the young guys while Kobe, Nash, and Pau rest up and get ready for the 2014-2015 season. Put a minutes cap on all three and let our record land us a solid draft pick. Yes nearly half the league is tanking for next year's draft but that doesn't mean we can't still get a quality player, or maybe even luck out and end up in the top 3.

Kobe coming back right away worries me that he will drag the Lakers (just barely) into the playoffs, which will make them less attractive as a FA option while also killing our shot at an impact rookie.

Boom or bust this year. We cannot fall in between. In know Kobe is a competitor and nearly inhuman when it comes to his pain tolerance/recovery, but this year isn't about winning, it's about setting ourselves up for the future.
unpossibl1

Postby Center Court on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:35 pm

well duh.

Evaluating medical conditions is not too difficult. If you grabbed 10 fans out of a bar and asked them to rate severe injuries, their opinions would be pretty much identical to those of the actual Doctors.
Center Court

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:40 pm

JSM wrote:

MDA plays him 40mins in the first pre-season game
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:41 pm

Center Court wrote:well duh.

Evaluating medical conditions is not too difficult. If you grabbed 10 fans out of a bar and asked them to rate severe injuries, their opinions would be pretty much identical to those of the actual Doctors.

I disagree.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Snakell Beast on Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:33 pm

lakersyunowin wrote::man3:

No worries...I saw the whole interview. Jimmy Boy was being tongue-in-cheek with the preseason remark. He did say he expected Kobe would be back at the beginning of the regular season and that he is amazed at how fast he has progressed so far.

The impression I get is that the Lakers brass are being cautious, doing their legal and media due diligence and avoiding giving fans unrealistic expectations, but that (at the same time, deep down and off the record) they believe he will almost definitely be ready for the opener and they want it so be kind of a surprise like Dwight was this season.

Kobe will probably only play limited minutes at first (say, 15 or 20) but even that is better than waiting until January. I have a feeling he will make it into the game on opening night (in limited minutes) be starting by December and be at full playing capacity by Christmas.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:47 pm

Oh my goodness, no.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:02 pm

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Center Court on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:29 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

I disagree.

Guys, clearly I'm joking. I guess you guys don't remember this story:

Yet Jimmy thinks scouting is vastly overrated. "Evaluating basketball talent is not too difficult," he says. "If you grabbed 10 fans out of a bar and asked them to rate prospects, their opinions would be pretty much identical to those of the pro scouts."
Center Court

Postby D.B. Cooper on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:38 pm

A couple of posters above;

you got got
D.B. Cooper

Postby OX1947 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:50 pm

David Beckham came back from his tear in 6 months. And he plays soccer where players are literally diving at yours ankles.
OX1947

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:58 pm

lol

I can't believe Jim said that at one point.
Savory Griddles

Postby kenzo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:15 am

I know we're the Lakers but is making the PO just for the sake of making it is realy that important? I rather see Kobe in Dec/Jan at 101% than Mike running him in to the ground since first game of the season.
kenzo

Re: Kobe Discussion: faster rehab progress than expected! (679)

Postby FabFourLakers on Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:41 am

d
Last edited by FabFourLakers on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FabFourLakers

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:04 am

You can walk on a fully torn Achilles tendon. A common Achilles injury is stepping off of a ladder (if you're a painter or something) and missing the last rung, over-stretching the Achilles, and having it rupture. Those people that do that can sometimes walk on that Achilles for days or weeks without realizing it was torn. I remember a painter who complained of foot pain for a month who actually just had a torn Achilles.

The motion that he could not do is push off the ground and when you watch the replay you can see he's not pushing off of the ground at all. He's really just placing his foot on the ground.

Kobe himself said that when he felt where his Achilles should be there wasn't anything there. That's consistent with a full rupture.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:13 am

FabFourLakers wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:you guys realize it's only a partial tear right?

he'll be back by opening day. not really worried.

:man10: partial tear, not even close. It was a full rupture. I know your friend is someone you trust and believe but I'll believe Gary Vitti himself and the actually surgery picture Kobe took of the operation which actually shows the complete tear before anybody else's thoughts/opinions.

2:54 - 3:15

Umm sure buddy. If you seriously want more proof, I'll get it for you guys...but I know this much: Nobody can WALK off the court with a fully ruptured achilles, shoot 2 free throws, or recover THIS quickly at THIS age from a fully torn achilles. It just doesn't happen and it's nearly physically impossible.

I'll believe my friend who is a UCLA medical student and has directly worked with Kobe's doctor on a DAILY basis. I don't care what Gary Vitti says...he didn't perform the surgery and the Lakers had to have a story in case they went full tank route and they could easily say Kobe was not ready to come back since it typically takes 6-9 months to come back fully healthy from torn achilles.

Kobe is a WARRIOR but there's no doubt in my mind that it was partially torn. And look...they're already talking about him coming back in PRE SEASON. How many of you seriously thought he'd be back that soon with a torn achilles?

EVEN IF TRUE AND YOU COULD GET PROOF PLEASE DO NOT. MAJOR CRAP STORM ON BSPN ABOUT KOBE JUST TRYING TO MAKE HIMSELF LOOK GOOD BY LYING ABOUT IT. :bang: :bang: Leave it alone.
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:19 am

FabFourLakers wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:you guys realize it's only a partial tear right?

he'll be back by opening day. not really worried.

:man10: partial tear, not even close. It was a full rupture. I know your friend is someone you trust and believe but I'll believe Gary Vitti himself and the actually surgery picture Kobe took of the operation which actually shows the complete tear before anybody else's thoughts/opinions.

2:54 - 3:15

Umm sure buddy. If you seriously want more proof, I'll get it for you guys...but I know this much: Nobody can WALK off the court with a fully ruptured achilles, shoot 2 free throws, or recover THIS quickly at THIS age from a fully torn achilles. It just doesn't happen and it's nearly physically impossible.

I'll believe my friend who is a UCLA medical student and has directly worked with Kobe's doctor on a DAILY basis. I don't care what Gary Vitti says...he didn't perform the surgery and the Lakers had to have a story in case they went full tank route and they could easily say Kobe was not ready to come back since it typically takes 6-9 months to come back fully healthy from torn achilles.

Kobe is a WARRIOR but there's no doubt in my mind that it was partially torn. And look...they're already talking about him coming back in PRE SEASON. How many of you seriously thought he'd be back that soon with a torn achilles?

Ummmm...... did you miss "this" below from one of our own illustrious members? Or are you saying "that" didn't happen either or he's "fibbing"?

by Cleansed on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:54 am

I had a complete / full rupture and i not only walked off of the football field but played another down before i walked off. It was clear something was "off" but I wasnt completely convinced it had happened until the Doctors diagnosis many hours later. Apparently my reaction isnt common but it does prove that , much like Kobe shooting 2 free throws and walking off of the court, that it's possible to have a complete rupture and still walk.
LTLakerFan

Postby Cleansed on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:49 am

..i didnt expect to find myself mentioned when i opened this thread.

I'll add that i walked back to the car from the football field with my lady which was 60 to 90 yards away . From there we drove to the hospital where i sat in the lobby for almost 6.5 hours waiting to be seen :(

I honestly think the better shape you're in (and i suppose ones age) the better one is able to handle the injury. I don't wish something like an Achilles rupture upon an elderly person or an overweight person :(
Last edited by Cleansed on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby kenzo on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:28 am

Cleansed wrote:..i didnt expect to find myself mentioned when i opened this thread.

I'll add that i walked back to the car from the football field with my lady which was 60 to 90 yards away . From there we drove to the hospital where i sat in the lobby for almost 6.5 hours waiting to be seen :(

I honestly think the better shape your in (and i suppose ones age) the better one is able to handle the injury. I don't wish something like an Achilles rupture upon an elderly person or an overweight person :(

Case closed :man12:
kenzo

Postby nthydro on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:38 am

It wouldn't surprise me to see him play in the preseason. What would really surprise me is to see him play at the same elite level. Considering his age, that would be unheard of really.
nthydro

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:20 am

Beckham came back from his (complete rupture) and played pretty well after his surgery winning two MLS Cups in a row.

I think as long as Kobe doesn't play extended minutes (40+), he can still play at least at a 90% level. This year, he shouldn't push himself too much. Let Young and Johnson get all the run.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby borri on Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:20 am

LOL simple fix to this. FabFourLakers ---> Just ask your friend again. "Are you sure it wasn't a complete tear? Because all the reports say that it was. Ask the operating doc again."
borri

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion