Kobe Thread: Bucher- Kobe = Father of Team USA Success p.819

Re: Kobe Discussion: Ding: full medical clearance! (715)

Postby revgen on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:29 pm

^I was intrigued by the LA Times article on the matter. Then I recently read the USA TODAY article and I saw the bolded below.

Billy Hunter says Kobe Bryant told him take labor deal with NBA

Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAY Sports

For the first time since Billy Hunter filed his lawsuit against the National Basketball Players Association and Derek Fisher, he revealed on Thursday in court documents who called during the 2011 lockout and told him to accept a 50-50 deal with the NBA because a side deal already been reached.

It was Kobe Bryant, according to a document Hunter filed on Los Angeles County Superior Court.

In the complaint filed on May 16, the player is referred to as Player No. 1.

Everyone now knows that player is Bryant, according to Hunter.

In Hunter's recent filing, he states, "Late in the evening before the [October 28, 2011] Waldorf Astoria meeting, I was already in bed for the night when my phone rang. The caller identified himself as the 'Black Mamba.' I knew it was Kobe Bryant, a superstar player for the Los Angeles Lakers and the highest paid player in the NBA. He told me that his agent, Robert Pelinka, who was also known to me, was on the call with him. I knew that Bryant and Fisher were friends and former teammates and shared an agent.

"Prior to this late-night phone call, Bryant had publicly supported the union's negotiating position. On the phone call, Bryant told me to agree to the new CBA at a 50-50 share of BRI (basketball-related income), saying, 'I know that tomorrow is a big day. You can put this thing to bed. Do the deal,' and also telling me, 'I got your back.' What Bryant and Pelinka were telling me is that a 50-50 deal had already been completed behind my back."

Hunter said he confronted Fisher, then the president of the executive committee comprised of players who represented NBA players during the lockout. According to the declaration filed Thursday, Hunter said, "I asked him whether he had been secretly negotiating directly with the owners. … Fisher did not deny the existence of the secret negotiations with NBA owners, but denied having had a role in them. Fisher said that it was Bryant and Pelinka who had engaged in secret negotiations with NBA Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver, adding that they had 'thrown (Fisher) under the bus.' "

Hunter, who was ousted as executive director of the NBPA at All-Star weekend in February, believes Fisher lied to him and concluded Fisher "had, in fact, been negotiating with the owners himself."

Hunter is suing the union, Fisher and Jamie Wior for compensation and punitive damages. The union was paying Hunter $3 million a year, and Hunter's contract originally ran through June 30, 2015.

However, the validity of that contract remains in question. An independent investigation into union practices conducted by the high-powered law firm Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison – which is also investigating the Richie Incognito-Jonathan Martin situation with the Miami Dolphins – concluded that Hunter's contract was never properly approved.

Hunter believes his contract was approved, and also on Wednesday, Hunter received support from former executive committee members Mo Evans, Etan Thomas and Theo Ratliff – all of him signed court declarations stating they believed Hunter's contract was valid.

"Given everything I know about Mr. Hunter's service to the union and the benefit the union received from Mr. Hunter's work, the union's current position that Mr. Hunter does not have a valid employment contract is outrageous," Ratliff said.

Evans said, "Fisher spoke up in support of Mr. Hunter's contract extension and said that Mr. Hunter deserved a new contract. There was universal support on the Executive Committee for the contract extension. In fact, no member of the Executive Committee disagreed with the decision to extend Mr. Hunter's contract. I was never informed at that time that the contract extension needed to be ratified by another group of NBA players. Mr. Hunter was treated as if his contract was final and binding."

The NBPA has tried to move on, electing Chris Paul its new president and named a new executive committee in August. The union is also searching for a new executive director and wants to at least have a small field of candidates by All-Star weekend in February. To that end, union officials are meeting with teams and naming new team representatives so that the union can vote for a new executive director when the time comes.

However, the fallout from the 2011 lockout won't go away. Hunter's lawsuit is active (no court date set), and Joseph Lombardo of Prim Capital pled guilty in mid-November to mail fraud and conspiracy to obstruct a grand jury investigation in connection with an attempt to defraud the NBPA. Hunter's son, Todd, had worked for Prim, which managed a portion of the union's assets. Carolyn Kaufman, also of Prim, faces similar charges and is scheduled to stand trial starting on Dec. 2.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2013/11/22/billy-hunter-lawsuit-nbpa-players-union-kobe-bryant-derek-fisher/3675329/

I find it very hard to believe that Kobe would actually call the president of the players association and say "This is Black Mamba" over the phone. :man10:
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:17 pm

Me too. I could see LeBron doing that and saying, "this is the King" but Kobe just is too many steps above doing something that UNCOOL. He has been around Phil Jackson too many years. Always a purpose. Or ABC. "Always Be Selling". And I never have watched that movie. Apparently it was pretty good, though a brutal look at that world.
LTLakerFan

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:44 pm

I HIGHLY doubt Fisher would throw Kobe under the bus like that and rat him out.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:54 pm

Any news on Kobe? Man I hope he can play next Sunday against Portland. I'm eager for his return.
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby MISSINGNO on Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:00 pm

DJ-RaZ-Q#24 wrote:Any news on Kobe? Man I hope he can play next Sunday against Portland. I'm eager for his return.

Not sure about this but didn't he say not long ago that he needed 3 weeks of practice after he was cleared? Or is he not doing that anymore.
MISSINGNO

Postby TheOp on Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:35 pm

December 8th against Toronto he comes back.

And drops 71. :man1:
TheOp

Postby SK8 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:16 pm

Damn this DRose injury scared me, i immediately got my toughs on Kobe, his repaired achilles will be fine, but the problem is knees, ankles and other body parts like that, i can't even imagine how will i feel if something like this happened to Kobe, poor Bulls fan, they waited so long and now they will have to wait again.
F that Portland game at december 1. i mean seriously, that Portland team is cursed or something, everybody is getting injured around and in that team.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby kenzo on Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:46 pm

^ True. Nash broke his leg last year against Portland too :bang:.
kenzo

Postby revgen on Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:58 pm

Both Marc Gasol and Andrew Bynum suffered sprained MCL's in Memphis.

BBQ Curse?
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby odom1year on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:58 pm

TheOp wrote:December 8th against Toronto he comes back.

Rose injury should scared Kobe...I think Kobe will take extra practice and training before coming back. I expect Kobe coming back at X'mas and playing about 20-25 mins per game prior to ASG.
odom1year

Postby LakerFan1235 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:44 am

Was looking back at this epic post. Can't wait for the return of the prodigal son.

This is such BS! All the training and sacrifice just flew out the window with one step that I've done millions of times! The frustration is unbearable. The anger is rage. Why the hell did this happen ?!? Makes no damn sense. Now I'm supposed to come back from this and be the same player Or better at 35?!? How in the world am I supposed to do that??
I have NO CLUE. Do I have the consistent will to overcome this thing? Maybe I should break out the rocking chair and reminisce on the career that
was. Maybe this is how my book
ends. Maybe Father Time has defeated me...Then again maybe not! It's 3:30am, my foot feels like dead weight, my head is spinning from the pain meds and I'm wide awake. Forgive my Venting but what's the purpose of social media if I won't bring it to you Real No Image?? Feels good to vent, let it out. To feel as if THIS is the WORST thing EVER! Because After ALL the venting, a real perspective sets in. There are far greater issues/challenges in the world then a torn achilles. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, find the silver lining and get to work with the same belief, same drive and same conviction as ever.
One day, the beginning of a new career journey will commence. Today is NOT that day.
"If you see me in a fight with a bear, prey for the bear". Ive always loved that quote. Thats "mamba mentality" we don't quit, we don't cower, we don't run. We endure and conquer.
I know it's a long post but I'm Facebook Venting LOL. Maybe now I can actually get some sleep and be excited for surgery tomorrow. First step of a new challenge.
Guess I will be Coach Vino the rest of this season. I have faith in my teammates. They will come thru.
Thank you for all your prayers and support. Much Love Always.
Mamba Out
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby LakerFan1235 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:45 am

And also, his whole pray for bear twitter thing makes a lot more sense after re-reading this.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:25 am

LakerFan1235 wrote:Was looking back at this epic post. Can't wait for the return of the prodigal son.

This is such BS! All the training and sacrifice just flew out the window with one step that I've done millions of times! The frustration is unbearable. The anger is rage. Why the hell did this happen ?!? Makes no damn sense. Now I'm supposed to come back from this and be the same player Or better at 35?!? How in the world am I supposed to do that??
I have NO CLUE. Do I have the consistent will to overcome this thing? Maybe I should break out the rocking chair and reminisce on the career that
was. Maybe this is how my book
ends. Maybe Father Time has defeated me...Then again maybe not! It's 3:30am, my foot feels like dead weight, my head is spinning from the pain meds and I'm wide awake. Forgive my Venting but what's the purpose of social media if I won't bring it to you Real No Image?? Feels good to vent, let it out. To feel as if THIS is the WORST thing EVER! Because After ALL the venting, a real perspective sets in. There are far greater issues/challenges in the world then a torn achilles. Stop feeling sorry for yourself, find the silver lining and get to work with the same belief, same drive and same conviction as ever.
One day, the beginning of a new career journey will commence. Today is NOT that day.
"If you see me in a fight with a bear, prey for the bear". Ive always loved that quote. Thats "mamba mentality" we don't quit, we don't cower, we don't run. We endure and conquer.
I know it's a long post but I'm Facebook Venting LOL. Maybe now I can actually get some sleep and be excited for surgery tomorrow. First step of a new challenge.
Guess I will be Coach Vino the rest of this season. I have faith in my teammates. They will come thru.
Thank you for all your prayers and support. Much Love Always.
Mamba Out

Great thought to pull that up again. Amazing mentality and RAW emotion. All the night BEFORE the operation. When he was at his lowest ever. :bow: :bow: :bow:
LTLakerFan

Postby The Rock on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:28 am

MORE KOBE FOR MORE YEARS

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/405008965404073984
BREAKING: The #Lakers and @kobebryant agree to terms on a contract extension.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:29 am

odom1year wrote:
TheOp wrote:December 8th against Toronto he comes back.

Rose injury should scared Kobe...I think Kobe will take extra practice and training before coming back. I expect Kobe coming back at X'mas and playing about 20-25 mins per game prior to ASG.

The problem with players like Rose and Westbrook, is that they're not meant to play how they play. They're point guards, not SG or SF's driving and crashing into everyone. A more recent example, Baron Davis.

It's reckless and puts them in a position to get injured. It doesn't end well when they're up in the air and get bumped by a 7'0 280lb center who's just going for a block. It puts too much stress on their bodies and it adds up or they land awkwardly or hard and get injured.

These guys watch too much of the flash and don't focus on the fundamentals and roles for their team to have a prolonged career. There's much more to basketball than dunks, alley-oops and drawing fouls.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby The Rock on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:30 am

http://www.nba.com/lakers/releases/131125kobebryant_extension

The Los Angeles Lakers have signed Kobe Bryant to a two-year contract extension, it was announced today by General Manager Mitch Kupchak. Per team policy, terms of the contract were not released.

“This is a very happy day for Lakers fans and for the Lakers organization,” said Kupchak. “We’ve said all along that our priority and hope was to have Kobe finish his career as a Laker, and this should ensure that that happens. To play 20 years in the NBA, and to do so with the same team, is unprecedented, and quite an accomplishment. Most importantly however, it assures us that one of the best players in the world will remain a Laker, bringing us excellent play and excitement for years to come.”

Bryant, a five-time NBA Champion, has earned numerous accolades over the span of his 17-year career, including being selected as the NBA MVP in 2007-08 and winning the NBA Finals MVP award in 2008-09 and 2009-10. The 15-time NBA All-Star has also led the United States to gold medals in the 2008 Beijing Olympics and 2012 London Olympics. Bryant has earned All-NBA honors in each of the last 15 seasons and has been named to the NBA’s All-Defensive Team 12 times.

The Lakers have appeared in postseason play in all but one season (2004-05) of Bryant’s 17 campaigns with the team, and have reached the NBA Finals seven times, winning championships in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009 and 2010. The 6’6” guard scored a career-high 81 points (55 in the 2nd half) on January 22, 2006, the second highest game and half point totals in NBA history.

Originally acquired by the Lakers from the Charlotte Hornets in exchange for Vlade Divac on July 11, 1996 after being selected by the Hornets with the 13th overall pick in the 1996 NBA Draft, Bryant is the Lakers all-time leading scorer and currently ranks 4th on the NBA’s all-time scoring list.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:34 am

^^ While I'm excited that Kobe will be here for two more years, I hope it wasn't at anywhere near what he's getting now. Otherwise we are going to be very strapped.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby juninho on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:37 am

Well Mitch smiles so i hope we are good.
juninho

Postby kenzo on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:39 am

Whatever he asked from the Lakers, he got it. Whether it was 15 or 30 mil, we'll know soon.
kenzo

Postby The Rock on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:40 am

Follow these two for now on guesses on how much Kobe will be making

https://twitter.com/DrewGarrisonSBN

https://twitter.com/DrewGarrisonSBN

There's a maximum paycut he can take. Man oh man.

Appears first year salary can be decreased by up to 40% via renegotiate/extend: http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q59

Says only teams under cap can renegotiate. Lakers are not.

If the max decrease for Kobe is 7.5%, minimum salary next year is $28.1 million. If max decrease is 40%, minimum salary is $18.3 million.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Center Court on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:42 am

Let's hear these terms!

And Lakerjones, IMO if they give him that type of deal it's a clear indication that we may just be stalling our plans a couple years.

I still think Kyrie is a prime target for us at some point. Maybe there is a new plan: be competitive for a couple more years (Melo/Love) then replace Kobe with a young star like Westbrook or Kyrie etc.
Center Court

Postby The Rock on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:43 am

This would make him the longest tenured player in NBA history with one team...Stockton was 19

Insane. 20 years with the Lakers

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/405013317833338880

Kobe Bryants contract will make him the highest paid player in the league the next two seasons

Im guessing $25 or $26 mil again?

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:46 am

Oh man... Well this is partly what we had hoped for and partly not.

Like the above stated ^ with an EXTENSION there's only so much of a decrease he can get. For 18 million, that's a hefty price tag.

However, like we had said before if Kobe takes around 20 million this season and next season his salary decreases as well we have enough room to grab a high level free agent THIS summer AND next summer...

I'm just not sure that's how it's going to work with this extension. In fact I doubt it completely. We have room this summer probably but not the next when we would probably like it more.

But let's wait until we get the official contract terms before we freak out (we being me).
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:47 am

https://twitter.com/Mike_Bresnahan/status/405013976557170688

Kobe will still be NBA's highest-paid player, according to sources. He'll total between $40 mill and $50 mill his last 2 seasons.

So $25 mil a year. Could it be backloaded? hm

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby MISSINGNO on Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:48 am

The Rock wrote:This would make him the longest tenured player in NBA history with one team...Stockton was 19

Insane. 20 years with the Lakers

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/405013317833338880

Kobe Bryants contract will make him the highest paid player in the league the next two seasons

Im guessing $25 or $26 mil again?

If your guess was right would we still be able to get some new stars next year?
Sorry I know I sound like an idiot I don't understand the money side of NBA teams. I should probably learn.
MISSINGNO

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion