Kobe Thread: Bucher- Kobe = Father of Team USA Success p.819

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: Dead legs

Postby escitnj on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:45 pm

JGC wrote:
phoenixrisingla wrote:
escitnj wrote:Did anyone catch Kobe's postgame interview?

Yup. Dude's pissed.

Damn. I came straight here and missed it.

I saw the first part of it. He's pissed no doubt. Just alot of anger and even indifference because of all the pressure. He was clearly disappointed in the team's performance, even at his own (IMO he played with awesome effort..and was the only one that really gave a ****), and then he was asked a few questions about his meeting with the other players/confrontation with Dwight. A few one word answers. Sounded REAL pissed at Dwight. But Then it got cut off. Didn't give much detail but I wanted to hear what else he had to say. I can't find it online anywhere...Anyone have any quotes?

His tone was so indifferent, like he's given up at this point. But it's understandable. He must be extremely tired and just down on this losing. But of course, we know that's not Kobe. He doesn't give up. He's a warrior. He's just paired with the wrong teammates and there is no fluidity on either end..Hopefully, Something will happen and this team will climb its way out of this losing, somehow.
Last edited by escitnj on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant."

-Kobe Bean Bryant

"Basketball, unlike football with its prescribed routes, is an improvisational game, similar to jazz. If someone drops a note, someone else must step into the vacuum and drive the beat that sustains the team."

PHIL JACKSON, The Last Season
escitnj

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:47 pm

shoe wrote:Any quotes?

it was mostly one word answers

Bresnahan: Kobe, you've been through a lot. Is this the hardest season you've ever endured?

Kobe: It's certainly getting there. That Rudy T one was a pretty hard one too.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:28 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby shoe on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:32 pm

Thanks.

One word answer Kobe = pissed off kobe
shoe

Postby JGC on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:49 pm

Wow. Kobe is pissed. And he should be. Everyone should be.

I will say, there were two moments that made me laugh in that interview though.

Q: "Kobe, did your message get through to Dwight?"
A: "I don't know."
Q: "Do you hope it did?"
A: "No" (sarcastically)

The other was at the end... there was some hispanic woman with an accent and she asked the question...

Q: "Is the team just not jelling or..."
And right when she said "jelling" he just burst out laughing. Hahhaha. I KNOW he was thinking "is she saying yelling or jelling?" Hahaha. Good old Kobes.
JGC

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:04 pm

JGC wrote:Honestly, I think it's time for Kobe to start taking a reduced role.

It is time, it has been time, but the current coach and last coach seem to want to ride him until he's dead in order to save their a**es by using him to try and keep us afloat, or in games, or for entertainment purposes, or god knows why. I'm sure Kobe wants to play, but I don't know about entire 12 minute quarters, over 40 minutes per game, being given the ball and basically being told "here you do something while we stand around" like he did when we had no talent years ago. The coach needs to use him less, the coach needs to have the balls to say Kobe you're playing less minutes or we're gonna wear you out, but both of our last coaches are clowns who to me in all honesty seem afraid of Kobe or want to be his buddy more than his coach.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:09 pm

Weezy wrote:

It is time, it has been time, but the current coach and last coach seem to want to ride him until he's dead in order to save their a**es by using him to try and keep us afloat, or in games, or for entertainment purposes, or god knows why. I'm sure Kobe wants to play, but I don't know about entire 12 minute quarters, over 40 minutes per game, being given the ball and basically being told "here you do something while we stand around" like he did when we had no talent years ago. The coach needs to use him less, the coach needs to have the balls to say Kobe you're playing less minutes or we're gonna wear you out, but both of our last coaches are clowns who to me in all honesty seem afraid of Kobe or want to be his buddy more than his coach.

Well, I don't just mean in minutes either. I mean, in the way the Spurs have done with Duncan. Don't hand the keys to someone else quite yet, but, start the process.

I was hoping that player would be Dwight, but maybe that's just not going to happen.

But I was talking about a reduction in minutes, and a reduction in responsibility also.
JGC

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:12 pm

To give up responsibility, there has to be someone there to pick it up. And quite honestly there is no one else on our team that seems willing to do it besides Clark.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JGC on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:21 pm

Doc Brown wrote:To give up responsibility, there has to be someone there to pick it up. And quite honestly there is no one else on our team that seems willing to do it besides Clark.

But he hasn't relinquished any responsibility, for anyone else to have a chance of picking it up. So that's what I'm saying. Start that process. See where it takes us for the next half season.

The worst case is no one steps up, we're out of the playoffs, and we have no pick.
The best case is someone does step up, we're in the playoffs, and Kobe is rested.

It seems that no matter who we put out there on the floor, people just defer to Kobe too much. So start taking that way, and make them have to figure out how to play together. I bet Kobe would learn a lot from that exercise too. He has always said, when he was hurt back oh man years and years ago, he saw how the team played without him and they played well, and that taught him to trust his teammates better. Not the same situation, but, it's kind of like an over controlling boss that is close to retirement. Step down a bit, see if a star emerges. You can't know unless you try it.

Maybe you're right and no one steps up to the challenge. What did we lose? Nothing. If anything, Kobe should be fresher next season.
JGC

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:24 pm

JGC wrote:
Weezy wrote:

Well, I don't just mean in minutes either. I mean, in the way the Spurs have done with Duncan. Don't hand the keys to someone else quite yet, but, start the process.

I was hoping that player would be Dwight, but maybe that's just not going to happen.

But I was talking about a reduction in minutes, and a reduction in responsibility also.

I don't see that happening with Dwight either. I assumed Nash was supposed to help start that, but he hasn't, he comes down and gives Kobe the ball and Kobe holds it for 10 seconds. I don't get it, I don't know if Nash is being told by 'Antoni to do this or if Kobe overrules 'Antoni or what.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:26 pm

Weezy wrote:
JGC wrote:
Weezy wrote:

I don't see that happening with Dwight either. I assumed Nash was supposed to help start that, but he hasn't, he comes down and gives Kobe the ball and Kobe holds it for 10 seconds. I don't get it, I don't know if Nash is being told by 'Antoni to do this or if Kobe overrules 'Antoni or what.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I can't believe D'Antoni would instruct Nash to do that. It would make no sense. Plus MDA complains about no ball movement after every game.

But this is why I'm saying start the process. These guys just defer too much. They need to feel accountable. They need to feel that they cannot rely on Kobe and that they have to figure out how to play together. Maybe our biggest strength is, in a way, our biggest weakness.

I'm not saying to cut him out, I'm just saying, the worst case scenario is Kobe gets rest and it doesn't work. The best case scenario is guys start to figure it out because they don't have a crutch to lean on as much as they do now.
JGC

Postby Maluco Beleza on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:33 pm

Reporter: do you hope it(message to d12) did?

and with the most PISSED OFF/SARCASTIC NO I've ever seen :man10:

Kobe: Nooooo......
Maluco Beleza

Postby Weezy on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:38 pm

All I know is Nash should have more control of the offense. The whole reason 'Antoni was brought here was Nash, and he isn't even getting to play like his Phoenix self. Maybe we just don't have the overall personnel for that to happen, I just don't know anymore.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby bnr034 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:55 pm

Weezy wrote:All I know is Nash should have more control of the offense. The whole reason 'Antoni was brought here was Nash, and he isn't even getting to play like his Phoenix self. Maybe we just don't have the overall personnel for that to happen, I just don't know anymore.

Thats coz we dont have an Offensive system....
bnr034

Postby trodgers on Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:39 am

JGC wrote:Q: "Kobe, did your message get through to Dwight?"

That's hilarious. Who asks that question?

And right when she said "jelling" he just burst out laughing. Hahhaha. I KNOW he was thinking "is she saying yelling or jelling?" Hahaha. Good old Kobes.

Maybe...or maybe it's because it's another asinine question. Is this team, the one with five former all-stars, two of whom are DPOYS and two of whom are MVPS, the one that has close to the worst record in the West, not jelling? Of course not.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby karacha on Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:46 am

"Kobe, is it possible to fix this and how?"

Kobe: "Yes, but I don't know how."

I actually believe him. I don't think even he has a clue how to fix this mess.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby nameant on Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:10 am

Kobe is clearly at the edge right now.
nameant

Postby JGC on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:02 am

trodgers wrote:
JGC wrote:Q: "Kobe, did your message get through to Dwight?"

That's hilarious. Who asks that question?

Maybe...or maybe it's because it's another asinine question. Is this team, the one with five former all-stars, two of whom are DPOYS and two of whom are MVPS, the one that has close to the worst record in the West, not jelling? Of course not.

Haha, no watch the YouTube video. He wasn't laughing because it was a dumb question, I mean he gave a pretty sincere answer. He was just chuckling the entire time as soon as she said 'jelling'. It was a bit comical, I just thought it was funny to see him try to hold back the laugh as he answers the question. The only smile from Kobe all interview. Man, rough times.
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:08 am

Kobe has tried the distributor role, he's tried the scorer role, I'm not sure what other role we want him to change to now.

Relinquish what and to whom? His shots? His defensive responsibilities? His... leadership?

If he takes less shots, that HONESTLY doesn't mean more shots for others because a lot of these guys WON'T take the open shot or they'll take a bad shot. Jamison is the king of taking contested threes right now. Dwight loves turning the ball over. Gasol has been more aggressive, but I feel like he gets blocked 2-3 times a game now; on DUNK ATTEMPTS no less. Nash could probably shoot more, but he literally won't at times even if he's open.

I understand what you're saying, but if he were to give up some of his game to the team, we'd need someone on the team capable of giving it up to. Someone who'd embrace that opportunity and COME THROUGH with it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:24 am

In this entire situation, the two people I feel for most are Kobe/Nash. This season is a failure. We're not making the playoffs and Kobe is in the twilight of his career. I think he would retire if things don't improve next season after his contract his up. Why stay if the team is in the process of rebuilding?

He's done what he could do to win and adapt his style of play. It just hasn't worked out. I hope we can try to field a competitive team next year. Some tough decisions are going to have to be made, though...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:25 am

let's just sit kobe and preserve him for next season...this season is done and he doesn't need any more mileage...
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:28 am

pound4pound1 wrote:let's just sit kobe and preserve him for next season...this season is done and he doesn't need any more mileage...

You're right. This season is done. I wouldn't sit him entirely, but I would reduce his minutes to arond 30-32. Same with Nash.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:30 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:let's just sit kobe and preserve him for next season...this season is done and he doesn't need any more mileage...

You're right. This season is done. I wouldn't sit him entirely, but I would reduce his minutes to arond 30-32. Same with Nash.

Dont be silly, our season just started yesterday.

Dude is fresh and ready to rock! :jam2:

:man10:
phoenixrisingla

Postby The Rock on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:34 am

Kobe's legacy shouldn't be affected because of this year, Barkley/Hakeem/Pippen didnt so squat when they teamed up you dont see their legacies tarnished

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:45 am

The Rock wrote:Kobe's legacy shouldn't be affected because of this year, Barkley/Hakeem/Pippen didnt so squat when they teamed up you dont see their legacies tarnished

You cant take away any of the positives because of a bad season at the end, so I agree that it doesnt tarnish anything.

Sure we could imagine a happier ending to his storied career than this though. :man10:
phoenixrisingla

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion