Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion (dropped 16 lbs - pg 312)

Postby nthydro on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:09 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:It just wouldn't be Kobe unless:

Los Angeles Lakers‏@Lakers

Last guy on the court shooting: Kobe Bryant #LakersCamp
http://instagram.com/p/QTCYi7LO9x/

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

Video of Kobe shooting triples: http://twitvid.com/I83TX

Maybe he's gonna spend more time as a spot up shooter camping on the 3 point line :man1:

Imagine if Kobe and Metta can somehow raise their 3 point shooting to a respectable percentage, say 37% or so. Add in Nash and his 40%....WOW.

But nah that wouldn't be fair to rest of the league. :man10:
nthydro

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:20 pm

nthydro wrote:
Would be great if CL had a mobile version of this site :man1:

I'm actually glad he said it and got it out of the way. Even if he gave a PC answer like its "our team", we know how he really feels. Like you said, a lot of other superstars would feel the same way. Although I doubt they have the balls to say it to the media like he did. At least not the superstars in the league today. Pierce didn't say it when Garnett and Allen came. Neither did Wade or LeBron when they teamed up. But that's what makes Kobe and Jordan special--their supreme confidence/arrogance.

We're trying to make something like that happen, but progress is slow because we're missing the commish.

As for Kobe, yeah I agree. It's better that he got it out there. I feel like the rest of the team knows, but it's good to hear it from him and to have that established already. The media can't make a circus out of it mid-season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:14 pm

"It's hands-down Kobe's team," Magic Johnson told The Times on Monday evening at Time Warner Cable Sportsnet's launch party. "It's never going to change until Kobe is not on the team.

"Kobe is the leader as of today, and this year, and whenever he's playing, because he's been there, he knows how to win, he knows how to perform in the clutch moments. Dwight needs to learn how to do that. Will it ever be Dwight's team? Yes, someday it will, but right now this is Kobe's team. Make no mistake about it."

Johnson said that the Lakers' success this season will hinge on the players not only knowing their roles, but accepting them.

"It's just like when I played with Kareem [Abdul-Jabbar]," Johnson said.

"Yes, he was the best player, but it was my team."

Magic laughed after talking about him and Kareem.

Video in the link as well.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 6678.story
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Go to Lakers.com to view the actual Kobe post practice interview video

:man10: :man10: @ Kobe's expression at the first question or statement regarding being the first to high five Steve Nash after he hit the FT's to end practice
Last edited by Battle Tested20 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:18 pm

I know what a great team we have already, but actually seeing Kobe and Dwight on the practice floor together, it's actually feeling like a reality finally and it's pretty much just 'wow'.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:50 pm

its crazy watching these post practice videos with nash and dwight.
Ariza3

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:57 pm

Ariza3 wrote:its crazy watching these post practice videos with nash and dwight.

I know right. I feel just as excited about this pre-season game on Sunday as I am or was for Game 1 of the NBA Finals when we were last in one
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby GoldHammish on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:26 pm

Here. We. Go.
Had a LONG first day of practice. About 5 hours. A lot of teaching and running. Nash looks in top form as always. Pau looks strong and DH is getting closer to top health each day. Metta has worked his butt off all summer and this is the best shape I have seen him in since Indiana.

As for my self, I'm just excited for this opportunity. There was a point in practice today where I looked around the court and it hit me, this is the most talent I have ever played with other then all star games and the Olympics.

We have a ton of work to do but we are hungry for that challenge.
I need to pack my body down with ice now to make sure I keep inflammation out of my joints. It's a daily routine along with a ton of stretching. I have to stay on top of it along with the diet and weight strengthening so I don't lose all that I have gained this summer. 2 sessions tomorrow. Should be fun.

Will update you all with more intel soon.
Till then..
Mamba out

https://www.facebook.com/Kobe/posts/10151194706165419
GoldHammish

Postby last stand on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:34 pm

"will update you all with more intel soon"

nerd :man10:
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby XXIV on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:39 pm

last stand wrote:"will update you all with more intel soon"

nerd :man10:

He's preparing for that Black Ops 2 commercial. :man1:
XXIV

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:44 pm

Bryant Describes LAL’s Opening Practice

Story lines at the first day of Lakers practice are so plentiful that one could find something interesting to discuss about all 20 guys on the roster, not to mention the coaching staff.

But of course, everything in L.A. starts with Kobe Bryant, who took a good nine minutes of questions from assembled reporters on Monday afternoon, covering how Dwight Howard (back) looked, what the first day receiving passes from Steve Nash felt like, how he may see his minutes limited and more:

We took some notes while Kobe was talking:

- At the end of each practice, Mike Brown has the players shoot free throws to determine whether they’ll have to run sprints or not, and on the first day, he asked for a volunteer. Steve Nash stepped up, with Bryant in support: “Nash, Nash Nash … I’ll take that 92 percent* free throw shooter every day.” Kobe was pleased when Nash swished three straight, as Brown’s video assistants and personal assistant ran a sprint instead.
*Kobe was kind to his new teammate, giving the career 90.4 percent shooter some extra points.

- Bryant weighed in on how Dwight Howard looked: “He was able to go through all the drills offensively and the schemes we want to do, working through the Princeton Offense, so it was very productive.” True. A bit more on Howard: he competed in the full practice, doing everything including 1-on-1 and 2-on-2 contact drills, and could be seen dunking while running those Princeton sets at the end of practice. The only thing he didn’t do was 5-on-5 full contact scrimmage, which isn’t on his program just yet. Howard looked great, and had this to say after practice: “Hopefully I’ll be back for some preseason games. I think we’re going to need it for chemistry and all that stuff. But like I said, I’m not going to rush it.” Bryant qualified a bit by saying L.A.’s training staff wouldn’t put Howard in a position in which he’d have to “test the limits of his back.”

- Kobe’s not concerned about learning the new system. He cited the first year Phil Jackson came in and instituted the triangle offense, which wasn’t difficult thanks to the high IQ of the players on that team. Bryant thinks the current squad has that same capability, and he himself has seen every possible NBA offense through his 16 years. I asked him about his meeting with Mike Brown and Eddie Jordan about the offense a few weeks back: “I’m pretty familiar with the (Princeton Offense), we played against it for multiple years with Sacramento. There are some similarities to what we ran with the Triangle Offense, and I think it was good to sit down and map out the advantages of the offense, the advantages of having a system vs. having a conventional approach.”

- Bryant’s main takeaway from practice No. 1: “There’s a lot of talent out here. It’s exciting.”

- Kobe said he did not have any knee procedure this summer: “I was a little busy.”

- The Olympics essentially put Kobe “in game shape right from the beginning.” He argued that it’s beneficial coming into training camp because you don’t have to put in the strenuous effort to really get back into shape in training camp. There’s a lot of evidence to that nature in recent years, as the returning players from the Olympics and World Championships have generally had excellent NBA seasons.

- Kobe and Nash, with their doctorates in basketball, don’t really have to talk much on the floor. A look will suffice: “Most of the time I don’t have to say anything. He’s already seeing what I’m seeing.” That should pay off especially in crunch time.

- Mike Brown suggested in his media session that he’d like to limit Kobe’s minutes this season after he averaged 38.5 last year, which is simply too many. Kobe’s thought: “That’s always a goal for everybody, for every team, to have your players rest as much as possible in the (regular season) to be as fresh as possible come postseason. So we’ll see … I’m ready either way.”

http://blog.lakers.com/lakers/2012/10/02/bryant-describes-lals-opening-practice/
Last edited by wcsoldier81 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wcsoldier81

Postby nthydro on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:45 pm

Lakers' Kobe Bryant feeling springy in the autumn of his career
Bryant, 34, says formerly balky right knee feels good and didn't need a repeat of procedure he had last year. Lakers plan to limit his minutes in his 17th season.

By Ben Bolch, Los Angeles Times

October 3, 2012

Kobe Bryant was a showstopper Tuesday, bringing the Lakers' first practice to a momentary standstill when he dunked over Chris Douglas-Roberts.

Yep, his knee is doing just fine.

Bryant may not be as spry as he was even a few years ago, but his once balky right knee is not putting a drag on his capacity for plays that trigger loud whoops from teammates.

He revealed after practice that his summer schedule had not included a stop in Dusseldorf, Germany, for a procedure on his knee similar to the one he had last year.

"A little busy," Bryant said, alluding to the Olympic gold medal he won with the U.S. national team.

Did Bryant, who turned 34 in August, anticipate needing a follow-up procedure on the knee?

"You mean like I'll fly to Germany during the season?" Bryant asked.

Or maybe the doctor could come to you?

"No," Bryant said. "I think I'll be fine."

Bryant said he did not feel drained after playing in the Olympics; he said the competition actually helped prepare him for the NBA season, which starts Oct. 30 against Dallas.

"Sometimes it's harder if you have the summer off," he said. "You get out of shape and then it takes more toll on your body to actually get back in shape as opposed to never really being out of shape and you kind of pick right up and you're already at that level, so it's actually a little less strenuous."

The Lakers will be monitoring Bryant's minutes closely heading into his 17th NBA season. He averaged 38.5 minutes per game last season, an uptick of nearly five minutes from the preceding season.

Coach Mike Brown acknowledged that he doesn't want a repeat.

"If I can, I'd definitely love to keep his minutes down and not have them up to 38," Brown said. "But I'm sure he'll tell you he can play 48, which is probably true if he needed to. But we feel like we have a deep team this year and hopefully at the end of the day it leads to reduced minutes for him."

Shannon Brown's departure before last season left the Lakers without a quality backup shooting guard, leading to increased minutes for Bryant. Enter sharpshooter Jodie Meeks, who made 37.1% of his three-point shots in his first three pro seasons before signing with the Lakers in August.

"I think that's one of the reasons they got me," Meeks said, "to keep his minutes down and keep him fresh."

Bryant said he'd be happy with fewer minutes preceding what is expected to be an extended playoff push.

"It's always a goal to have good players rest as much as possible for the season and be as fresh as possible for the postseason," Bryant said. "We'll see. I'm ready either way."

ben.bolch@latimes.com

Times staff writer Mike Bresnahan contributed to this story.

Lol Kobe welcoming CDR to the Lakers

What's interesting is Kobe didn't do the knee procedure this off season like many speculated.
nthydro

Postby Tragic on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:14 pm

Damn.... I guess the procedure has helped him regrow some cartilage? Maybe the procedure wasn't necessary this time round? Or maybe Kobe was being sarcastic when the reporter asked him that question. He had the sarcastic look on his face if you watch the interview.
Tragic

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:29 pm

therealdeal wrote:I love lamp.

:man10: :man10:
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:30 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

Video of Kobe shooting triples: http://twitvid.com/I83TX

Beautiful.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby KB24 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:36 am

"If I can, I'd definitely love to keep his minutes down and not have them up to 38," Brown said.

No Mike....not if you can...you MUST, idiot.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:10 am

As one of the hosts said in "Lakeshow" , it will be good to see Kobe at 32min and Meeks backing him up for 16min ... 8 -8-8 rotations for Kobe
wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:13 am

Kobe should not have to play 12 minute runs or play over 35 mpg this year. I don't care if we are winning or losing the game, we have too much talent to have to rely on Kobe to have to do that again this season.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby KB24 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:21 am

Doc Brown wrote:Kobe should not have to play 12 minute runs or play over 35 mpg this year. I don't care if we are winning or losing the game, we have too much talent to have to rely on Kobe to have to do that again this season.

If we need Kobe to play 40 minutes in order to win with this team and this talent, Mike Brown needs to go because he is clearly not maximizing the potential of this team.

So in other words, I do care if we win or lose. Mike should be able to win 55-60 games easily with Kobe's minutes down to 32.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby last stand on Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:39 am

Hell mike brown should be able to win 55-60 games with Kobe not playing a minute. Dwight, pau, and Nash is a contending team.

So Kobe better be at 32-34 min for the whole regular season, because take away any two of our big 4 and that's a 50+ win team. So noone but maybe Howard should play anything more than 34 min

Pau, Nash, Kobe, Ron should all be held in that area because they need to be energized for the post season
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby Tobias Funke on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 am

MB sure did play around with the rotations quite a bit last season. I hope he figures it out early on this time, but even if he's that kind of coach, its still hard to screw up with a roster like this. Give the backups more burn so they're mentally tougher and the starters aren't burnt out at the end of the season.

Between Eddie Jordan, Kobe and Nash helping him considerably with directing the offense along with Dwight and Indiana Ron assisting him in setting the tone defensively, MB needs to be much more about management this season.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:42 am

KB24 wrote:
"If I can, I'd definitely love to keep his minutes down and not have them up to 38," Brown said.

No Mike....not if you can...you MUST, idiot.

MB is still a numbskull. He's the only possible weak link I can see for us this season. The good news is it's do or die time for Brown. He has to prove that he's capable of coaching the team, which means essentially doing things like limiting the veterans' minutes, and making GOOD substitutions this year, as well as letting Eddie Jordan and Nash run the offense while he himself focuses on the defensive strategies.

Thankfully we've got Bernie Bickerstaff to watch over Brown and knock him into shape if he's straying from the plan. If you've seen Bernie on the sidelines you know he doesn't stand for any nonsense and I'm sure he'll let Brown know what's up if he's slipping. Either that or he'll just take his job next year, which I'm completely fine with! :man12:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:56 am

KB24 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Kobe should not have to play 12 minute runs or play over 35 mpg this year. I don't care if we are winning or losing the game, we have too much talent to have to rely on Kobe to have to do that again this season.

If we need Kobe to play 40 minutes in order to win with this team and this talent, Mike Brown needs to go because he is clearly not maximizing the potential of this team.

So in other words, I do care if we win or lose. Mike should be able to win 55-60 games easily with Kobe's minutes down to 32.

Agreed. He won 60+ games with LeBron and some scrubs. He should be able to ride Dwight during the regular season for 60 wins or so, leaning on Kobe and Nash as required. Of course, we'll lean on them all equally, but he should be able to get to 60 wins with this team easily.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:05 am

If Brown wants to limit 24's minutos then he has to trust the bench players like Meeks, Jamison and Ebanks. Let them play through rough patches and mistakes NOT giving them the quick hook. Brown from what I see has that comfort with Blake and Hill.

Bryant could play a bit more minutes but I don't think he'd have to exert as much with Nash and Howard on the floor. Gasol should be engaged knowing he won't be traded and will get more opps. What helps too is Peace isn't starting the season as a glob.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:39 pm

keep forgetting that we have Meeks! Kobe should def get enough rest :jam2:
Ariza3

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion