Kobe Bryant Discussion: Reason for Lakers downfall?

Re: Kobe Discussion: "I'm fat" (800)

Postby 24 and 8 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:51 pm

therealdeal wrote:
24 and 8 wrote:
laakers wrote:A) We're not trading Kobe.

B) Kobe doesn't want to be traded.

C) We still have what, just 5 or 6 players on our roster?

D) In Mitch we trust.

yeah, lakers aren't relevant the last 5 years, lakers not Cleveland or milwaukee, but 'In Mitch we trust'. smart Statement if you're a Loser.

You're a cheery fellow.

WTF is that mean?
24 and 8

Postby Tommyboy456 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:06 pm

Over/Under that Kobe last a full season now? :bang:
Tommyboy456

Postby 24 and 8 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:25 pm

why he should play at all? for a 9-10 seed? no thanks.
he must retire now, for his own good.

Do not put yourself in this pathetic situation,Kobe. you are better than this.
24 and 8

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:31 pm

Meh I agree with people who say he'll retire early. I just don't see him sticking around any longer when we're in a rebuilding process. I guess he's content with 5 titles. I just don't like seeing our organization tank so quickly, but I trust this team to be back on top again. Probably going to take a long time though :man5:
Jazzygirl205

Postby Weezy on Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:35 pm

He's not going to retire early unless by early you mean after this contract. Kobe isn't leaving 48 mil, or even half that on the table. He will play out the contract, and if he's pissed at this roster he can yell at himself in the mirror because had he taken 15 mil we'd still have 9 mil to spend right now.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby 24 and 8 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:45 pm

yeah 9 mil = ring!
24 and 8

Postby Weezy on Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:49 pm

24 and 8 wrote:yeah 9 mil = ring!

Yeah, because that's what I said. :man11: It's well known that Kobe taking 15 mil would have left is 2 max slots, instead we had one and ended up with our role players from last season getting big money and an expensive PG upgrade. But hey, the message was sent that the Lakers will pay their old free agents big money, so there's always a chance Durant or some others come here when they are 36 to get paid $25 mil.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:54 pm

His buddy dissed him for his ex-coach...pretty Lo
His hermano dissed him for Oprah's place....pretty Deng Lo

This season is going to make for one Moody Mamba
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby denimPortugal on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:45 am

"Kobe Bryant's two-year contract with the Lakers is for $48.5 million. LeBron James' two-year contract with the Cavs is for $42.1 million."

:man10:
denimPortugal

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:02 am

We don't need that extra cap space anyway. If we don't get a star, the FO throws in the towel. Sacre is gonna get 10 million per year if we don't get any big name FA next year.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby LakersN4 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:07 am

denimPortugal wrote:
"Kobe Bryant's two-year contract with the Lakers is for $48.5 million. LeBron James' two-year contract with the Cavs is for $42.1 million."

:man10:

The situation is a bit different though.. Lebron signed a 2 year deal because the cap is expected to go up to around 80M after the next CBA. He'd be able to get a 5 year deal starting at 28M.. with 7% raises it'd be a 5 year 156M deal :freak2:

Who am I kidding, for all we know that's why Kobe signed for 2 years too :man10:
Last edited by LakersN4 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
LakersN4

Postby Savory Griddles on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:07 am

Doc Brown wrote:We don't need that extra cap space anyway. If we don't get a star, the FO throws in the towel. Sacre is gonna get 10 million per year if we don't get any big name FA next year.

Sacre's max is higher than that. :man10:
Savory Griddles

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:58 pm

Well I'm really looking forward to his first interview or tweet after all of this :man10:
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby BigDan24 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:30 am

DJ-RaZ-Q#24 wrote:Well I'm really looking forward to his first interview or tweet after all of this :man10:

I guess he is still waiting on our brilliant Plan B to be executed... :freak2:
BigDan24

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:21 pm

Kobe Setting the Tone Already

http://www.lakersnation.com/lakers-news-kobe-setting-tone-for-2014-2015-season/2014/07/16/

A sense of joy and relief filled Nick Young’s emotions as he processed the Lakers securing him to a four-year, $21.5 million deal. The joy entailed basking in relative riches after his gamble to opt out of his $1.2 million player option paid off in securing a longer and more lucrative contract with the Lakers. The relief reflected Young’s uncertainty on whether the Lakers would keep him amid their hope to maintain financial flexibility and their continuous pursuit of Carmelo Anthony.

“I thought, ‘Maybe I might end up being somewhere else,” Young told this newspaper Tuesday night at Lure Nightclub, which hosted an ESPN-sponsored red carpet event commemorating its recent Body issue. “I knew if Melo signed here, I would pretty much have to go somewhere else.”

Before Young could become too giddy about staying in his hometown, he received an important phone call from Kobe Bryant. The message went beyond congratulating Young, a former Cleveland Reseda High and USC standout, on staying in his hometown.

“He was the first person to call me. He was telling me to get in the gym and work hard,” Young recalled. “They’re already counting us out.”

Yes, they are.

The Lakers are not just coming off a 27-55 record last season, the team’s worst in L.A. franchise history. The Lakers lost in the James and Anthony sweepstakes. Pau Gasol, who guided the Lakers to two NBA titles in his 6 1/2 seasons here, left for the Chicago Bulls. The Lakers also lost key reserves in Jodie Meeks to Detroit and Young’s close friend, Jordan Farmar, to the Clippers.

“This is a chance for him to see what it’s like to be on the other side and be an enemy,” Young said of Farmar leaving. “We’ve always been rivals since high school. But I wanted to keep him.”

Yet, Young stayed optimistic. He gushed about Bryant’s recovery after playing in only six games last season because of injuries to his left Achilles tendon and left knee. Young touted the Lakers acquiring guard Jeremy Lin (and a 2015 first and second round pick) from the Houston Rockets for the rights to overseas player Sergei Lishchuk. Young liked the Lakers agreed to a two-year, $18 million to bring back forward Jordan Hill. And, of course, Young mentioned how the the Lakers signed on board for another four years of “Swaggy P.”

“We’ll be fine; they got me,” Young said. “We’re a playoff team. Don’t count us out.”

It seems pretty challenging for the Lakers to live up to Young’s bold prediction . Plenty of that depends on Bryant’s health and play, for sure. Some of it hinges on how much Young duplicates last season’s performance in which he averaged a team-leading 17.9 points on 43.5 percent shooting. When Young went through that process, Bryant offered him some tough love on how to develop into a complete player.

Young believes he will remain a backup small forward. But how will he adjust toward playing with Bryant and stomach his infamous death stares?

“Oh man,” Young said, smiling. “I can handle them though. A lot of them can’t handle Kobe’s looks.”

Young received plenty of them last year, the most famous one involving Bryant directly looking at Young with a stern expression from the sidelines.

“That moment, we were down by like 20 at Golden State,” Young recalled. “It was bad. He gave me that look, ‘Like come on!’ I tried, but it was tough.”

Safe to say those interactions will continue, with Bryant’s early offseason phone call setting the tone.

“Kobe puts more pressure on me,” said Young, who has frequently played in Drew League games this summer. “Ever since he gave me that phone call, I’ve been in the gym every day.”
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:53 pm

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 47m

Kobe: "I can sit here and tell you with 100 percent honesty that I'm happy with the effort the organization put forward this summer"

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 46m

Kobe "I think Mitch has responded quite efficiently (from missing on Melo/Pau) by picking up some of the pieces he has"
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Re: Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Postby Basketball Fan on Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:55 pm

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/tca-kob ... g/#respond

TCA: Kobe Bryant Says Showtime’s ‘Kobe Bryant’s Muse’ Came Out Of Nike Campaign Mulling

TCA: Kobe Bryant Says Showtime’s ‘Kobe Bryant’s Muse’ Came Out Of Nike Campaign Mulling“Sorry I was late, I was out looking for a head coach,” Kobe Bryant said after showing up nearly 50 minutes late to plug his autobiographical Kobe Bryant’s Muse, debuting on Showtime in the fall.

To pass the time, Showtime distributed bottles of sports drink, BodyArmor — a company in which Bryant is a major investor. On the bottle were tags that reminded TV critics the TV project is “a portrait of an elite athlete’s professional and personal journey.” Showtime has said Kobe Bryant’s Muse takes an in-depth look into the life, inspirations and challenges facing one of the most successful figures in professional sports.

Kobe Bryant's MuseBryant said he came up with the idea for Kobe Bryant’s Muse while lying in bed, mulling what to do for his next Nike campaign. He decided that, “now that my career is coming to an end” it would be “pretty cool to tell the genesis of where the mentality came from.” That’s the difference, he said, between this Kobe Bryant docu-mercial and an earlier Spike Lee Kobe Bryant documentary — the one that debuted on ESPN in 2009 and focused on one day of the Los Angeles Lakers star’s season.

Some TV critics in the room wanted to talk about the fact that Bryant is an exec producer on the Showtime project, which the network calls a “documentary.” That’s sort of like making one of those “authorized biographies,” one critic noted. Except that Bryant insists that “me as producer is only in title alone. I’m not sure what producer even means.”

Stephen Espinoza, EVP and GM of Showtime Sports & Event Programming, jumped in to explain that Kobe Bryant’s Muse “isn’t intended to be a biography.” Added Bryant: “The smart thing to do would be to make the whole thing a Nike commercial.”

Exec producer Gotham Chopra said Bryant’s exec producer title was “not like, ‘Oh, I want to have creative control and make sure this is a puff piece.’ It’s also about learning.”

“I don’t like editing,” Bryant added.

Spinoza explained later that Kobe Bryant’s Muse, which follows Bryant during the two leg injuries that kept him sidelined for all but six games last season, was a “rare opportunity” to look at a “hummingbird…no longer in constant motion” who had more “time for introspection.”

“Isn’t this weird you’re talking about me and I’m sitting here?” Bryant said. Critics laughed.

When the talk got around to discussing Bryant as a brand, he said, “What is branding? Branding is you being you. The image I project is just me – a nice guy. I’m a generous guy. I’m in [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.]. Arrogant. Confident. I’m insecure. We all are.”

Speaking of branding, Bryant said – of the BodyArmor bottles “on everybody’s table — that is not good branding.” Later he mentioned the bottles again, saying, “if there’s too many BodyArmors on the table their are too damn many.”

TV critics asked him some Lakers questions, which Bryant answered, in the course of which he noted critics were not supposed to have been allowed to ask Lakers questions,“but it’s part of the entire damn story.” That was the first some of the critics in the room had heard that anyone involved had agreed to that condition.
Basketball Fan

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:38 pm

I love the Banter, Trash talk

"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Amoray on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:44 pm

Kobe is saying to the FO thank you for rewarded me one third of the payroll for the next two years and go to hell fans.
Amoray

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:51 pm

Why is it that the second I saw your name up in this thread it would be a sucky Kobe bashing post. I'm just psychic I guess about what you're going to do. :bricks:
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:58 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:I love the Banter, Trash talk

"Camera phone guy" is horrible. :disagree:
LTLakerFan

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:59 pm

It's okay, he doesn't understand English quite well.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:18 pm

Ha ha ha. Kobe. "You gotta a sweet stroke. We don't fill this roster...you might get a spot." :man10:
tigerjeterkobe

Postby sina on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:47 am

Why we blame a player for taking big salary but not the owner not willing to pay for championship roasters
sina

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:25 am

sina wrote:Why we blame a player for taking big salary but not the owner not willing to pay for championship roasters

That's spending too much for Chicken BBQ
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion