Kobe Discussion: Shutting it down; Puts Lakers FO on blast

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: heavy minutes / bad back

Postby odom1year on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:16 am

kobe_008 wrote:Kobe the Ballhog nearly caused us the game again.
30pts-so many points again when we have Pau and Dwight in the middle he should just pass.

damn if he will continue this he will cause us games

My concern is Kobe's FGA is still more than D12 and Pau combined. It's no good in long term. But Kobe had a god game tonight though.
odom1year

Postby odom1year on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:37 am

King of Clutch wrote:
trodgers wrote:
King of Clutch wrote:
odom1year wrote:
kenzo wrote:Image

A team with just even Kobe/Dwight should not have a losing record.

yeah because 2 players make a team right?

Well, the other two big dogs haven't played...

exactly my point.

Looks like you guys set the expectation from the best SG and best Center quite low. In my opinion, a team with the best SG and best Center is atleast the title contender. You guys are saying we need other two big dogs to make it over 50%. Unbelievable ... :freak2: Really only two players on the court playing for Lakers ??
odom1year

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:41 am

if lebron and melo can change position i guess kobe can too. i would like the rotation to depend on our opponent kind of like how NY and MIA do it sometimes.
Ariza3

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:50 am

I fear for this guy health more and more
wcsoldier81

Postby Scnottaken on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:02 am

I was getting pretty mad during the 4th, mainly because he was missing shots that are almost automatic. . . it'd hit both sides of the rim and just barely go out. . . but he made up for it in the end when everyone else was just jacking up 3's.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: 7 str8 30pt gms - only 1 at his age!

Postby DHL on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:53 pm

The assistant coach says:

"Absolutely, Kobe's shooting too much. When we played them, we told our guys, 'Look, we don't necessarily want Kobe going for 50. I mean, we're going to guard him. But we're not going to double him, and we're not going to try to get the ball out of his hands.' Our main concerns were not to let [Antawn] Jamison hit a bunch of 3s and not to let Dwight [Howard] go crazy down low. There's no question they would be a better team if Kobe shot less. Why do you think [Pau] Gasol struggles? He's going to struggle in any offense where he doesn't touch it.

"At the end of the day, it has nothing to do with [Mike] D'Antoni and his system. It's all about what Kobe will allow to happen. When you play the Lakers, it's like they don't have a system. It's whatever Kobe chooses it to be. If he wants to take all the shots, he'll do that. He'll pacify his teammates early in the game, but then he'll throw up a heat check and if he's got it going, nobody else touches the ball. And then the other team benefits because the other Lakers won't defend as hard and they won't be engaged because they're not a part of the game on the offensive end. Kobe has to trust you, and it looks like he thinks most of his guys aren't trustworthy yet.

"The problem between Kobe and Dwight is that you can't have Dwight on the floor in the fourth quarter, so how can you play through him. In Kobe's mind, that's why he doesn't pass the ball to Dwight. But the Lakers really need to sit down with Kobe and say, 'At this stage, this is what's best for the Lakers. We've got to play through our bigs.'

"Memphis is the best high-low team in the league with Marc Gasol and [Zach] Randolph. The Lakers could play that way with Dwight and Pau, but with Kobe shooting 28 times that's not going to happen. That could definitely work, but the key is getting Kobe to sign off on it. The thing bout this league is that every team is known for something. When you play the Lakers, you don't worry about stopping Kobe. You just make sure those other four guys don't have career nights because you can beat the Lakers with Kobe scoring 34, 35 points. Your biggest worry is if Kobe scores 25 points and has 8 assists and then Dwight has 20 points and 16 rebounds and Pau has 18 and 11 and Nash scores 16 with 10 assists.''

The scout says:

"One thing our coach always says is, 'Kobe's probably going to get his 28 points, but let's make sure it's on 28 shots and not 16 shots.' I would like to look at some box scores in detail to see if the Lakers are down in the fourth quarter and Kobe starts shooting a lot to lift them to a come back, or to see whether he was he getting to the foul line a lot in those other games where he didn't have as many field goal attempts.

"Watching the Lakers play the Knicks this year was hard to watch because the other Lakers were just so bad. It was like Kobe was trying to do all he could just to keep that game close. And hey, if Dwight's not going to try his butt off and if other guys aren't going to try their butts off, then I'm going to give the ball to the guy that's going to go for it, and that's Kobe. I don't think it's that Kobe doesn't trust his teammates; it's just that he trusts himself more. A questionable shot by him still might be better than a good look for one of those other guys. To me, they look disinterested.

"There's no chemistry. They're not pulling for one another. They're just a collection of individual talent that happens to be in the same place wearing the same uniforms. They look listless. Not Kobe, though.''

The general manager says:

"Everyone thinks the problem is everybody else but to me, the problem is Kobe. Take a look at Andrew Bynum's quotes the other day, where he said Kobe stunted his growth. He didn't like playing with Kobe.

"And Pau? Pau's a really nice guy and Kobe just walks all over him. On the one hand, it's good for Pau because it helps make him tougher but overall, I think it hurts his game. Kobe can smack Pau upside the head and Pau will still go back to him and say, 'Yes sir.' He's just too nice of a guy. But Pau can play. They won a few championships with him, so this notion that Kobe doesn't have anyone to play with and that he has to take all these shots is just wrong. Go back to the Oklahoma City series. Everybody blamed it on Pau and Bynum, but to me, it was more Kobe's fault.

And we know what kind of a player Dwight is. He's not at his best because he's coming off the back injury and because of the system D'Antoni's running, but it's obvious to me that Kobe doesn't trust him. And I'm not so sure he likes the way Dwight jokes around so much.''

Another scout says:

"That's been debated a lot -- whether Kobe is shooting too much. It's hard to argue against that if they're 8-3 when he doesn't shoot it 20 times. But I'd have to look at each game and study the game situations to really come to a conclusion. I don't think he's purposely hogging the ball or doing things selfishly to keep the team from winning. He's not trying to do anything to hurt the team. If he is shooting too much, it's only because he thinks that's what he has to do for the Lakers to win.

"My gut reaction is to say that Kobe does not need to shoot less. He's a top 5 player in the league, he's leading the league in scoring and he's shooting a good percentage. That's a big key - he's shooting a high percentage. It'd be one thing if he was forcing up shots and shooting poorly. But I will say this, when you have as much talent as they do, you shouldn't have to shoot it as much as Kobe has been.''
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:04 pm

While I agree Kobe shooting too much is not a good thing (whether he's making the shots or not) because it discourages everyone else from giving 100%, there are times where it just needs to happen.

I'm hoping Nash keeps Kobe in check when he comes back. None of that ugly Kobe iso ball down the stretch where Kobe will go 2-8 on contested fadeaway jumpers in an attempt to keep us in the game, everything needs to come in a rhythm. Iso ball KILLS the team in every facet of the game.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby King of Clutch on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:12 pm

While I agree that kobe nearly lost us the game yesterday, lets not forget the huge buckets that he was also able to knock down. Like the 3 in the corner to put us up 4, layup, and mid range jumper. While players like meeks and metta seemed to get cold. You can't just forget the positives that was able to get us the win, and focus completely on the negative. I don't think that we win this game without those buckets because they were down only 1 multiple times knocking on the door. I'm not worried at all from here on with nash returning about our late game execution. Steve nash pnr's with dwight, and kobe on the wing, is a nightmare for anyone to deal with. I'm completely confident in our players and kobe to execute to the best of their ability.

Don't forget that when pau was in, and even with nash early on, kobe only averaged 17.8 shots per game. The more bodies that went down, the more he put the responsibility on himself to help us win. So I don't think kobe's shooting will be a problem for us from now on. This will be a non issue going forward.
Last edited by King of Clutch on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King of Clutch

Postby venky on Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:17 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Kobe is like the Jason Witten of the NBA. Warrior, never misses games, and just remarkably consistent.

You just insulted Kobe Bryant lol.

Jason Witten is the one that would love to be compared to Kobe.
venky

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Don start at SF but for sure continue to play SF with Meeks at SG throughout the game. Keep facilitating like he has been and get his shots down a bit. it should now that we have pau back and will even new with Nash so I'm not too worried now. but would like him to find Dwight more like he does for pau
Ariza3

Postby DMK on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:32 pm

**EDIT**

13 Consecutive games scoring 35+ points...

9 Consecutive games scoring 40+ points....

4 Consecutive games scoring 50+ points.....(2 of those being 60+pts)

After that.... 7 consecutive games scoring 30+ points at age 34 doesnt surprise me.

Hes the GREATEST SCORER Ever.... When a 6'6' guard does things only he or Wilt Has done.... on the regular.... HES A BAD MOTHER BLEEPER. Period.
Last edited by DMK on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eccl.7:20, Gal.2:16, Jn.3:16, Jn.14:6, Acts 16:31, Rom.6:23, Eph.3:17
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby venky on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:34 pm

I thought it was 4 consecutive 50+ with two being 60 point games. I could be wrong.
venky

Postby DMK on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:36 pm

venky wrote:
Texas Lakers Fan wrote:Kobe is like the Jason Witten of the NBA. Warrior, never misses games, and just remarkably consistent.

Football wise..... Kobe would be as Tough as Steve Young/Steve Mcnair while playing at a Jerry Rice Level, while winning Chips like Joe montana.... while surpassing Greats like Peyton Manning does. lol

Get it??
DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby kidhell on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:38 pm

DMK wrote:13 Consecutive games scoring 35+ points...

4 Consecutive games scoring 60+ points.....

After that.... 7 consecutive games scoring 30+ points at age 34 doesnt surprise me.

Hes the GREATEST SCORER Ever.... When a 6'6' guard does things only he or Wilt Has done.... on the regular.... HES A BAD MOTHER BLEEPER. Period.

Kobe did not score 60+ points in consecutive games... that is incorrect
kidhell

Postby DMK on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:40 pm

venky wrote:I thought it was 4 consecutive 50+ with two being 60 point games. I could be wrong.

Was it 4 straight 50+ and 2 of those were 60+???? i could be mistaken. now that i think of it.... 4 straight 60 seems obnoxious.

DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby John3:16 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:40 pm

Jason Whitten?

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:
John3:16

Postby DMK on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:43 pm

venky wrote:I thought it was 4 consecutive 50+ with two being 60 point games. I could be wrong.

My bad... it was 4 Consecutive games of 50+.....2 of those were 60+ point games.

My bad.... i have to brush up on my mamba greatness...

+1 for Venky

DMK
Clublakers Analyst

Postby venky on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:48 pm

I mean, I'm a Cowboys fan, and even with no rings, Jason Witten is one of the best Tight Ends to ever play and one of the best football players to ever play. But he's nowhere in the same stratosphere as Kobe Bryant.
venky

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:16 pm

venky wrote:

How the hell is it an insult? Jason Witten is EASILY one of the best players at his position and players in general of all time. I don't see how it's an insult at all. You act like Witten is some scrub.

I'm not saying Witten is as dominant as Kobe was in his respective sport I'm simply stating that both are incredibly reliable and consistent.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:19 pm

John3:16 wrote:Jason Whitten?

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

Says the guy who thinks a guy who's started six games is better than Tony Rono.

You 9er fans are hilarious. :man10:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby thisbjgz on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:28 pm

DHL wrote:

"Absolutely, Kobe's shooting too much. When we played them, we told our guys, 'Look, we don't necessarily want Kobe going for 50. I mean, we're going to guard him. But we're not going to double him, and we're not going to try to get the ball out of his hands.' Our main concerns were not to let [Antawn] Jamison hit a bunch of 3s and not to let Dwight [Howard] go crazy down low. There's no question they would be a better team if Kobe shot less. Why do you think [Pau] Gasol struggles? He's going to struggle in any offense where he doesn't touch it.

"At the end of the day, it has nothing to do with [Mike] D'Antoni and his system. It's all about what Kobe will allow to happen. When you play the Lakers, it's like they don't have a system. It's whatever Kobe chooses it to be. If he wants to take all the shots, he'll do that. He'll pacify his teammates early in the game, but then he'll throw up a heat check and if he's got it going, nobody else touches the ball. And then the other team benefits because the other Lakers won't defend as hard and they won't be engaged because they're not a part of the game on the offensive end. Kobe has to trust you, and it looks like he thinks most of his guys aren't trustworthy yet.

"The problem between Kobe and Dwight is that you can't have Dwight on the floor in the fourth quarter, so how can you play through him. In Kobe's mind, that's why he doesn't pass the ball to Dwight. But the Lakers really need to sit down with Kobe and say, 'At this stage, this is what's best for the Lakers. We've got to play through our bigs.'

"Memphis is the best high-low team in the league with Marc Gasol and [Zach] Randolph. The Lakers could play that way with Dwight and Pau, but with Kobe shooting 28 times that's not going to happen. That could definitely work, but the key is getting Kobe to sign off on it. The thing bout this league is that every team is known for something. When you play the Lakers, you don't worry about stopping Kobe. You just make sure those other four guys don't have career nights because you can beat the Lakers with Kobe scoring 34, 35 points. Your biggest worry is if Kobe scores 25 points and has 8 assists and then Dwight has 20 points and 16 rebounds and Pau has 18 and 11 and Nash scores 16 with 10 assists.''

The scout says:

"One thing our coach always says is, 'Kobe's probably going to get his 28 points, but let's make sure it's on 28 shots and not 16 shots.' I would like to look at some box scores in detail to see if the Lakers are down in the fourth quarter and Kobe starts shooting a lot to lift them to a come back, or to see whether he was he getting to the foul line a lot in those other games where he didn't have as many field goal attempts.

"Watching the Lakers play the Knicks this year was hard to watch because the other Lakers were just so bad. It was like Kobe was trying to do all he could just to keep that game close. And hey, if Dwight's not going to try his butt off and if other guys aren't going to try their butts off, then I'm going to give the ball to the guy that's going to go for it, and that's Kobe. I don't think it's that Kobe doesn't trust his teammates; it's just that he trusts himself more. A questionable shot by him still might be better than a good look for one of those other guys. To me, they look disinterested.

"There's no chemistry. They're not pulling for one another. They're just a collection of individual talent that happens to be in the same place wearing the same uniforms. They look listless. Not Kobe, though.''

"Everyone thinks the problem is everybody else but to me, the problem is Kobe. Take a look at Andrew Bynum's quotes the other day, where he said Kobe stunted his growth. He didn't like playing with Kobe.

"And Pau? Pau's a really nice guy and Kobe just walks all over him. On the one hand, it's good for Pau because it helps make him tougher but overall, I think it hurts his game. Kobe can smack Pau upside the head and Pau will still go back to him and say, 'Yes sir.' He's just too nice of a guy. But Pau can play. They won a few championships with him, so this notion that Kobe doesn't have anyone to play with and that he has to take all these shots is just wrong. Go back to the Oklahoma City series. Everybody blamed it on Pau and Bynum, but to me, it was more Kobe's fault.

And we know what kind of a player Dwight is. He's not at his best because he's coming off the back injury and because of the system D'Antoni's running, but it's obvious to me that Kobe doesn't trust him. And I'm not so sure he likes the way Dwight jokes around so much.''

Another scout says:

"That's been debated a lot -- whether Kobe is shooting too much. It's hard to argue against that if they're 8-3 when he doesn't shoot it 20 times. But I'd have to look at each game and study the game situations to really come to a conclusion. I don't think he's purposely hogging the ball or doing things selfishly to keep the team from winning. He's not trying to do anything to hurt the team. If he is shooting too much, it's only because he thinks that's what he has to do for the Lakers to win.

"My gut reaction is to say that Kobe does not need to shoot less. He's a top 5 player in the league, he's leading the league in scoring and he's shooting a good percentage. That's a big key - he's shooting a high percentage. It'd be one thing if he was forcing up shots and shooting poorly. But I will say this, when you have as much talent as they do, you shouldn't have to shoot it as much as Kobe has been.''

I agree with everything here. Kobe needs to know the him jacking up shots to pad his stats is not going to make his teammates happy, there's a reason why nobody is running to LA to want to play with Kobe.
thisbjgz

Postby King of Clutch on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:29 pm

DMK wrote:**EDIT**

13 Consecutive games scoring 35+ points...

4 Consecutive games scoring 50+ points.....(2 of those being 60+pts)

Don't forget 62 through three quarters, , 55 in a half, and 81 points which is the greatest offensive performance in nba history. Most people would say wilt's 100, but what people don't know is that wilt was going for that 100. He and the coaches and the players were in on it. It was a blowout, but wilt stayed in the game and his team actually fouled opposing players so that they could immedeately get it back to wilt, and he could score quickly. I didn't even know about this until a few months ago. He would get shredded in today's media for doing that. Kobe's 81 however, came in the flow of the game and had everything going for it. They were nearly getting blown out, kobe brought them back, and put them ahead, and just kept making shots.

I found out about this from an article on cbssports. Amazing article that gave me insight. Ended with this.

The Mamba took 17 fewer shots, 12 fewer free throws, didn't have his team fouling to get him the ball, had fewer possessions and still only came up 19 short of Wilt. He scored 55 points after halftime. That's only 14 short of Jordan's career-high. Forget what math and maybe common sense tells you. Eight-one is greater than 100.

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
King of Clutch

Postby King of Clutch on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:31 pm

thisbjgz wrote:
DHL wrote:

The scout says:

Another scout says:

I agree with everything here. Kobe needs to know the him jacking up shots to pad his stats is not going to make his teammates happy, there's a reason why nobody is running to LA to want to play with Kobe.

kobe bryant in the same sentence as padding stats is pretty ignorant. Kobe's a scorer. Thats what he likes to do. He could care less about his stats. And I bet you didn't even read all of that. You "agree with everything here" not knowing that some said kobe's shooting is a problem, while others didn't.
Last edited by King of Clutch on Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King of Clutch

Postby odom1year on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:37 pm

Pierce 40 pts on 16 shots ! :bow:
odom1year

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:47 pm

odom1year wrote:Pierce 40 pts on 16 shots ! :bow:

Can't wait until you get banned.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion