Kobe Thread: Bucher- Kobe = Father of Team USA Success p.819

Re: Wolverine Discussion: Shatters recovery timetable! (689)

Postby checkers09 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:02 am

Yet as I watched him Monday, I could not help think how little it mattered and how right he is. He is not fading into the shadows. He does not know how to go out that way.[.]
checkers09

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:27 am

^^ I love it
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby 100%effort on Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:27 pm

Kobe being Kobe
100%effort

Postby The Rock on Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:17 pm

A couple of things that stood out from the Kobe Up close event..

- He acknowledged he isn't sure he'll be ready for opening night. He may be ahead of schedule but by how much?
- The goal is play lesser minutes. But how much less?

How many games do you guys think he'll play and what his minutes/numbers will be?

I'll go with 62 games. 34 minutes, 20 points/5 rebs/ 4 assists.

However one thing Im optimistic about is what Dr. Robert Klapper said. He correctly predicted last year that Dwight would be ready for opening night last he just wasnt sure how effective he'd be but did say he should be in decent game shape. Made same prediction for Kobe that he'd be ready for opening night...just not sure how effective.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:50 pm

https://twitter.com/ESPNLA710/status/369620538609909760

.@DrRobertKlapper: In my opinion, Kobe's gonna be 80% (of what he was last year). I still believe that he'll be there for opening night.

He also said Kobe will get better as season continues and believes he'll be 90% of what he was last year. Klapper correctly predicted when Dwight was traded here that he'd be ready for opening night...he may not be at his best to start the season but will get better as season progresses

kobe at 80 to 90% is still better than 95% of the League...so I guess the 2010/2011 version of himself? Not too bad. Will be interesting to see how his game evolves this year and how he changes it up to still remain effective. Will he play a PG/play maker version? Lots of questions and uncertainties

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby kobayashi on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:55 pm

Yup 80% Kobe physically...

What can't you equate is Kobe's mentality, determination and Basketball IQ... That's his edge among young players...
kobayashi

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:36 pm

I expect kobe to be playing a lot more in the post and letting a lot of our new guards run around. it would prob be less wear on him and allow him to play but also recover throughout the season so hes 100% by playoffs. but kobe being kobe will prob still do exactly what hes been doing....but i do expect more post ups not that Pau and Kobe are the only real post up threats and hell have more opportunities to get in there now that its only pau
Ariza3

Postby Finwë on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:16 pm

LOVE that .gif
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby revgen on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:22 pm

The Rock wrote:- The goal is play lesser minutes. But how much less?

His last season under Phil he played 33 minutes per game. I'm guessing somewhere around there. 33 minutes a game is still starters minutes. I doubt Kobe has any interest coming off the bench. If he can't play starters minutes then I expect him to sit out until he's ready.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Kobe8Fan on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:32 pm

Kobe sitting court side at the Drew League right now.
Kobe8Fan

Postby checkers09 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:17 pm

.@DrewLeague Finals, @kobebryant & @Baron_Davis halftime rap.

Yet as I watched him Monday, I could not help think how little it mattered and how right he is. He is not fading into the shadows. He does not know how to go out that way.[.]
checkers09

Postby SK8 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Damn what happened to Baron, dude is huge :man4:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby karacha on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:09 pm

^

Food.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:Damn what happened to Baron, dude is huge :man4:

alien food
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Sportcentury: Kobe

Postby purp n gold on Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:55 pm

I stumbled upon this last night, thought you guys would get a kick out of this. Haven't seen SportCentury in a years, so this was nice to see. It seems to be made at an interesting time, one year removed from the 3-peat, a month or so after his incident in Colorado happened (the court dates were not even set yet), and the Lakers probably hadn't acquired Gary Payton or Karl Malone yet.

For anyone that's confused/unclear about how good Kobe was in his early years, this is a good watch. Some good highlights & interviews on this one.

Stacey Augmon: "I've guarded Jordan and Kobe, you really can't tell the difference between the two"

Towards the end they talk about his rape accusations, which I'm sure most people would care to skip over. The first few segments are $$$ though. Kobe's impact can sometimes get lost or even dismissed when he played with Shaq, but don't get it twisted, he was top-10 player as early as 2000.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby HighlyFavored on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:49 pm

Kobe playing the Sonata on the piano!! He's so handsome and talented!! :bow: <3

HighlyFavored

Postby D.B. Cooper on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Those crooked fingers help him reach some of those keys. Very good Kob, just smile less or nothing at all.
D.B. Cooper

Postby HighlyFavored on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:04 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KOBE!! (he was born in Philadelphia..East Coast time :jam2: :jam2: ) Make this 35th year of living your best year yet!!!!! <3
HighlyFavored

Postby escobar8 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:04 am

Happy birthday...i wish him to come back strong as usual so he can show them they were wrong again...
escobar8

Postby checkers09 on Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:06 am

NBA TV Kobe B-Day schedule.

http://www.nba.com/nbatv/schedule/

10:00 AM Kobe Bryant 1998 NBA All-Star Game Kobe Bryant had 18 points in his firs ...
12:00 PM Kobe Bryant Lakers/Nets, 2002 NBA Finals - Game 3 Lakers G Kobe Bryant's 12 4th quarter ...
2:00 PM Kobe Bryant Raptors/Lakers, 1/22/2006 Lakers G Kobe Bryant scored 81 points ...
4:00 PM Kobe Bryant Lakers/Magic, NBA Finals Game 5
5:00 PM Kobe Bryant Lakers/Suns, Game 6 Lakers G Kobe Bryant scored 37 points ...
6:00 PM Kobe Bryant Celtics/Lakers, NBA Finals Game 7 The Los Angeles Lakers overcome a 13- ...
7:00 PM Kobe Bryant Lakers/Trail Blazers, 4/10/2013 Lakers G Kobe Bryant had a season-hig ...

checkers09

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:43 am

checkers09 wrote:NBA TV Kobe B-Day schedule.

http://www.nba.com/nbatv/schedule/

10:00 AM Kobe Bryant 1998 NBA All-Star Game Kobe Bryant had 18 points in his firs ...
12:00 PM Kobe Bryant Lakers/Nets, 2002 NBA Finals - Game 3 Lakers G Kobe Bryant's 12 4th quarter ...
2:00 PM Kobe Bryant Raptors/Lakers, 1/22/2006 Lakers G Kobe Bryant scored 81 points ...
4:00 PM Kobe Bryant Lakers/Magic, NBA Finals Game 5
5:00 PM Kobe Bryant Lakers/Suns, Game 6 Lakers G Kobe Bryant scored 37 points ...
6:00 PM Kobe Bryant Celtics/Lakers, NBA Finals Game 7 The Los Angeles Lakers overcome a 13- ...
7:00 PM Kobe Bryant Lakers/Trail Blazers, 4/10/2013 Lakers G Kobe Bryant had a season-hig ...

my Cox TV service has been out the last few days, safe to say I was ticked that I missed all these games :disagree:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby checkers09 on Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:53 pm

CT: Inspiring, beyond just the arena. Inspiring people, because people know who you are. I told them, I’m gonna waive all the questions about how he’s gonna come back from this (injury) because that’s what you represent, defying odds, age, now this injury, and everything. Where does this all come from? They say you’re obsessed with competing. I can accept that because you’re the ultra-competitor, but where does this all come from?

KB: Well, I think it comes from inner dialogue, of wanting to prove to yourself first and foremost that you can do something that you doubt you can do. That’s the most important thing. And when people will issue challenges, when people say you can’t come back from that… I’ve had those doubts about myself but I’m not gonna cower to those doubts. I’m not going to be scared. I’m not going to run from them. I’m gonna face them and I’m gonna challenge myself in trying to accomplish those things. And that’s really the key to everything.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/323307/newstv/sportspilipinas/kobe-bryant-i-inspire-myself-by-inspiring-others

checkers09

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:37 am

Kobe Bryant Voted Favorite Player Among NBA Rookies

Kobe Bryant is your favorite rookie’s, favorite player. According to an NBA.com survery of first-year youngsters, Kobe edges out LeBron James in terms of popularity: “Who is your favorite player in the league? 1: Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers — 21.2 percent, 2: LeBron James, Miami — 15.2 percent, T-3rd: Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City & Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas — 12.1 percent, T-5th: Kevin Garnett, Brooklyn & Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers — 9.1 percent, Others receiving votes: Carmelo Anthony, New York; Vince Carter, Dallas; Tim Duncan, San Antonio; James Harden, Houston; Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio; Steve Nash, L.A. Lakers; Dwyane Wade, Miami. Worth noting: LeBron won his second straight championship, but couldn’t retain his spot as the rookies’ favorite player. As Kobe nears the end of his career, he still gets love from the kids.”
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/08/kobe-bryant-voted-favorite-player-among-nba-rookies/
Jazzygirl205

Postby Herm24 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:05 pm

checkers09 wrote:CT: Inspiring, beyond just the arena. Inspiring people, because people know who you are. I told them, I’m gonna waive all the questions about how he’s gonna come back from this (injury) because that’s what you represent, defying odds, age, now this injury, and everything. Where does this all come from? They say you’re obsessed with competing. I can accept that because you’re the ultra-competitor, but where does this all come from?

KB: Well, I think it comes from inner dialogue, of wanting to prove to yourself first and foremost that you can do something that you doubt you can do. That’s the most important thing. And when people will issue challenges, when people say you can’t come back from that… I’ve had those doubts about myself but I’m not gonna cower to those doubts. I’m not going to be scared. I’m not going to run from them. I’m gonna face them and I’m gonna challenge myself in trying to accomplish those things. And that’s really the key to everything.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/323307/newstv/sportspilipinas/kobe-bryant-i-inspire-myself-by-inspiring-others

He's just awesome .. He's one of those rare individuals where whatever they put their mind to they will excel at .. Basketball just happened to be his platform bc of his dad and so forth but honestly with this type of mentality and drive he could have been great at anything he wanted to be .. He's actually really inspirational .. I know I strive to work harder everyday and think of Kobe's work ethic in the back of my mind when I'm burnt out
Herm24

Postby Scnottaken on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:10 pm

Jazzygirl205 wrote:
Kobe Bryant Voted Favorite Player Among NBA Rookies

Kobe Bryant is your favorite rookie’s, favorite player. According to an NBA.com survery of first-year youngsters, Kobe edges out LeBron James in terms of popularity: “Who is your favorite player in the league? 1: Kobe Bryant, L.A. Lakers — 21.2 percent, 2: LeBron James, Miami — 15.2 percent, T-3rd: Kevin Durant, Oklahoma City & Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas — 12.1 percent, T-5th: Kevin Garnett, Brooklyn & Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers — 9.1 percent, Others receiving votes: Carmelo Anthony, New York; Vince Carter, Dallas; Tim Duncan, San Antonio; James Harden, Houston; Kawhi Leonard, San Antonio; Steve Nash, L.A. Lakers; Dwyane Wade, Miami. Worth noting: LeBron won his second straight championship, but couldn’t retain his spot as the rookies’ favorite player. As Kobe nears the end of his career, he still gets love from the kids.”
http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2013/08/kobe-bryant-voted-favorite-player-among-nba-rookies/

"Edged" him out? He's a full 6% ahead, which means he has like 40% more votes than LeBron.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion