Kobe Thread: Bucher- Kobe = Father of Team USA Success p.819

Re: Wolverine Discussion: Kobe's gutsiest moment (696)

Postby checkers09 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:50 am

Lakers Nation ‏@LakersNation 20m
"I think the best that Mike can hope for is to get to know Kobe better. […] No coach has been able to control Kobe."

Mitch: "After 17 years, you're not going to change who @kobebryant is … he's cut a little bit differently."

Lakers Nation ‏@LakersNation 20m
"No coach has been able to control Kobe… and that’s not going to change." - Kupchak

Lakers Nation ‏@LakersNation 21m
More on Kobe: "During the game, he's tough to manage." - Kupchak

Serena Winters ‏@SerenaWinters 29m
"Kobe’s not going to play to lure somebody to Los Angeles, he’s going to play to try to win games." - Kupchak

Lakers Nation ‏@LakersNation 31m
Mitch wasn't a big fan of Kobe jumping off the diving board. "Not great judgment."

Lakers Nation ‏@LakersNation 39m
"Kobe has made it clear that he wants to retire in a Lakers uniform, and on our end we feel the same way." -Mitch

Lakers Nation ‏@LakersNation 44m
"With the exception of Kobe, we expect everyone to participate to some degree in practice."

Lakers Nation ‏@LakersNation 41m
"When we're down by two or three, the Kobe that we know and love will take the last shot." -Mitch

From Mitch's interview today.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/live

Yet as I watched him Monday, I could not help think how little it mattered and how right he is. He is not fading into the shadows. He does not know how to go out that way.[.]
checkers09

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:53 pm

I likes.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby checkers09 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:50 am

Kobe in Dubai.

Yet as I watched him Monday, I could not help think how little it mattered and how right he is. He is not fading into the shadows. He does not know how to go out that way.[.]
checkers09

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Kobe Bryant aiming to play in season opener
Posted on September 26, 2013 by Mark Medina
Lakers guard Kobe Bryant expressed optimism in an interview with The National, a website in Dubai. Photo credit: Hans Gutknecht/Staff Photographer
Lakers guard Kobe Bryant expressed optimism in an interview with The National, a website in Dubai. Photo credit: Hans Gutknecht/Staff Photographer

Forget worrying about the Lakers’ diminished championship prospects, or whether they can attract top-level free agents next offseason. The Lakers’ most intriguing question entering this season involves none other than Kobe Bryant.

After rehabbing his surgically repaired left Achilles tendon for the past five months, Bryant expressed his sharpest level of optimism that he will return for the Lakers’ season opener Oct. 29 against the Clippers at Staples Center.

“Now it’s about cutting the recovery time, I should be OK [for the start of the season],” Bryant said in an interview with The National, a website in Dubai.

Bryant’s currently over there as part of his Health & Fitness Weekend aimed to address diabetic issues. Although he plans to return to Los Angeles for when Lakers begin training camp on Saturday, Bryant won’t participate in at least the early portions of it.

It remains to be seen whether Bryant will play in any of the eight exhibition games through Oct. 25, let alone the Lakers’ season opener. The Lakers have also stressed patience for Bryant’s recovery. But given Bryant’s competitiveness and pain threshold, it should hardly be surprising if he returns in time for the beginning of the season.

“Its’ going well. It’s going really really good,” Bryant said in an interview with a Yahoo! affiliate in Dubai. “I’m feeling strong and doing a little bit of jogging. That’s a really good sign. They should know in this season when I come back that I’ll be ready.”
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:47 pm

Kobe Bryant: “My all time favorite teammate has always been Derek Fisher. He’s been my favorite teammate, I would love to see him back in a Lakers uniform so we could kind of finish out together.” NBCSports.com
:jam2:
Ariza3

Postby jlkr on Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:27 pm

Ariza3 wrote:
Kobe Bryant: “My all time favorite teammate has always been Derek Fisher. He’s been my favorite teammate, I would love to see him back in a Lakers uniform so we could kind of finish out together.” NBCSports.com
:jam2:

Fisher's talent was never ever Kobe's talent, but Kobe respected him. I never liked many aspects of Fisher's game, I was often a participant in this and other Lakers sites trash talking him. Yet Kobe respected him. This is instructive for you young whippersnappers ...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Kobe respects those who aren't afraid of the moment. Fisher sure wasn't, even if he should have been at times.

Fisher is one of my all time favorite Lakers as well. It'd be a nice gesture if he signed here for some ceremonial contract and finished his career as a Laker.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:57 pm

therealdeal wrote:Kobe respects those who aren't afraid of the moment. Fisher sure wasn't, even if he should have been at times.

Fisher is one of my all time favorite Lakers as well. It'd be a nice gesture if he signed here for some ceremonial contract and finished his career as a Laker.

Hire Fish as head coach; two birds / one stone.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:10 pm

TIME wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Kobe respects those who aren't afraid of the moment. Fisher sure wasn't, even if he should have been at times.

I've been on that train too. I just don't know if Fish is ready to be only a coach yet.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Barnstable on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:03 am

therealdeal wrote:
TIME wrote:

I've been on that train too. I just don't know if Fish is ready to be only a coach yet.

I'd actually love that. I think he would be a fantastic head coach.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:55 am

Barnstable wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
TIME wrote:

I'd actually love that. I think he would be a fantastic head coach.

I agree I think it's a natural fit. I also think Fish has this delusion that he's still an NBA level player.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kblo247 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:40 pm

When Steve Blake is on a team, Fish is a nba caliber player ... No delusion at all when he's outplayed the guy the past 2/3 years and is still more of an iron man. Heck Morris is on a roster and can't outplay Fish
kblo247

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:15 pm

There is no reason for Derek Fisher to be on an NBA roster during the regular season.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Wolverine Discussion: Shatters recovery timetable! (689)

Postby trodgers on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:34 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 2m
Gary Vitti on Kobe's first words after Achilles tear: "Maybe I can run on my heel." Said Vitti: “I was like, ‘Come on. You have to go.’”
Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More

:man10:

Crazy SOB.

:man10: That's ridiculous...and awesome.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby trodgers on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:40 pm

Two funny memes...old but relevant:

blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:30 pm

^those show old school and new school.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby 432J on Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:22 am

:man10: :man10: :man10: @ the paul pierce one
432J

Postby baller4life on Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:14 pm

Kobe looks like he put on a few paunds. It will be very difficult to return to lasts season level of play. I mean thats like 5-6 months without practicing basketball and thats something Kobe did all his life to remain so ahead of everyone else. I remember 2007 when he had that knee surgery and the first few months back were hard to watch.
I see playing in the post and at the elbow as the best solution.
---------->
baller4life

Postby Paul on Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Didnt Kobe got a new tat in the summer?
Paul
Clublakers Rep: Germany/Poland

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:50 pm

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Weezy on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:08 pm

So many guys look happy to be there, I don't think I've seen Wes Johnson stop smiling yet. Great to see Kobe already on the court interacting with the guys at least as well.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:14 pm

The chemistry definitely seems to be much improved, though it's really no surprise after last year's disaster.
XXIV

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:24 pm

I like all the guys are talking about wanting to be pushed to be great unlike one of the dead weights from last season
puffyusaf#2

Postby jlkr on Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:05 am

I don't normally click on these things, they are usually lightweight celebrity interviews not worth my time. But holy cow, Batman, I could not take my eyes off this one. And I'm not talking about Kobe either...
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion