Kobe Bryant Discussion: Reason for Lakers downfall?

Re: Kobe Discussion: #1225 (705)

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:29 pm

For those Lakers fans believing Kobe Bryant has undersold his rehab progression on his left Achilles tendon so he can over deliver in the Lakers’ season opener Tuesday against the Clippers at Staples Center, here’s a daily dose of reality.

“There will be no Willis Reed tomorrow night,” Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni, referring to former New York Knicks forward limping toward the court in Game 7 of the 1970 NBA Finals after nursing a torn muscle in his right thigh. “We’re not trying to hide or pull a curtain back like the Wizard of Oz. There’s nothing behind the curtain. He’ll go when he can go.”

Bryant spent Monday’s practice on the anti-gravity treadmill instead of actually participating in practice. The Lakers maintain he hasn’t experienced any setbacks because he’s still medically cleared to run on the court and that Bryant chose to run on the weight-bearing treadmill on his own. This appears to fit Bryant’s latest strategy in which he revealed he “scaled back” his activity after participating in light jogging and shooting drills last week during the end of the Lakers’ nine-day trip in China.

“He pushed it pretty good, but now he’s trying to settle in and then he’ll up it again,” D’Antoni said. “I think there will be starts and ends. That’ the way it goes. He’ll have to monitor it. He knows better than anybody so he’ll know what to do.”

Still, don’t expect Bryant to return anytime this week with games including Wednesday at Golden State, Friday against San Antonio and Sunday against Atlanta. Bryant has yet to participate in a full practice, and has said he needs at least three weeks of that to restore his conditioning, explosiveness and flexibility in his Achilles tendon.

“I would think he has to at least pick the ball up and shoot some,” D’Antoni said, laughing. “We can convene a special practice for him if we need to if he’s ready to go.”

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2013/ ... treadmill/
dwighthowardsdad

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:45 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 8s
Word is Kobe's going to ramp up his training this week, then evaluate where he is. That pretty much rules him out for the first week or so
Expand

Let's hope for some great progress.

This seems like a strange way to rehab. At least the way it's being explained to us. Why is he ramping up so hard that he needs to take a step back? In my experience these things need progressive steps and patience, not boot camp type system shocks...

But then again, I'm not being paid millions and maybe they're just not communicating the process that well.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:51 am

It's the scarring that occurs after the surgery. I think Dr. Klapper explained it.

The achilles will heal as if normal, but with scars from the tear/surgery. Kobe needed to workout in order for those scars break down. The scars prevent him from having full range of motion in the achilles. Pain/swelling will be involved with that as it breaks down, but it's a what's required for any type of tear to heal effectively.

Kobe toned down his workout recently to allow the breaking down of the scarring to heal up again. Now that he feels a little better, he can start working out again. And the process repeats until he can get full motion in the achilles.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:22 am

In my experience, that's always been a gradual process. It hasn't been an incredibly grueling series of conditioning exercises for a person who was relatively immobile for months and then almost nothing... and then more harsh workouts!

Like I said, I'm not the one getting paid millions and I'm not a physical therapist myself. All I'm going off of is my experience.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby SK8 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:13 am

Charles Barkley Takes Kobe Over LeBron In Top 10 List

“[...] Those second five fluctuate, but who do I take off my top five? LeBron can get to No. 6 on my list, but here’s the thing that bothers me about the whole LeBron debate: I want to know why y’all killed Kobe Bryant! Y’all don’t even compare him to LeBron anymore. You are skipping him for LeBron and going right to Michael. I’m still going to take five [titles] over two. It makes me laugh with my friends — the media just kills Kobe Bryant. Like he’s dead! Five still is a lot more than two!”

Wow, Charles telling something good, is this a real world??
http://www.lakersnation.com/charles-barkley-takes-kobe-over-lebron-in-top-10-list/2013/10/28/
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:27 am

Charles loves controversy. He knows ESPN will run with this.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:17 am

therealdeal wrote:Charles loves controversy. He knows ESPN will run with this.

Well good. It's effing true!
LTLakerFan

Postby kenzo on Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:29 am

Chuck making sense :man3: World is coming to an end...
kenzo

Postby XXIV on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:01 pm

It's very strange to hear Charles back up Kobe. :man10:
XXIV

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:35 pm

Chuck making sense then leaves Magic and Bird off his top 10 list :man10:
wcsoldier81

Postby gcclaker on Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:02 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:Charles Barkley Takes Kobe Over LeBron In Top 10 List

“[...] Those second five fluctuate, but who do I take off my top five? LeBron can get to No. 6 on my list, but here’s the thing that bothers me about the whole LeBron debate: I want to know why y’all killed Kobe Bryant! Y’all don’t even compare him to LeBron anymore. You are skipping him for LeBron and going right to Michael. I’m still going to take five [titles] over two. It makes me laugh with my friends — the media just kills Kobe Bryant. Like he’s dead! Five still is a lot more than two!”

http://www.lakersnation.com/charles-barkley-takes-kobe-over-lebron-in-top-10-list/2013/10/28/

Jordan used the same "five is better than two" argument when asked about Bryant and James. Well, technically it should be five to one considering last year was a "gift" care of San Antonio.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Scnottaken on Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:21 pm

gcclaker wrote:

Jordan used the same "five is better than two" argument when asked about Bryant and James. Well, technically it should be five to one considering last year was a "gift" care of San Antonio.

Not to mention that saying their last run to the finals was a cake walk would be underestimating the difficulty of cake walks.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:20 pm

gcclaker wrote:

:mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: :mad1: What could have / should have been. What a fabulous summer it would have been. LeBronze would have been right back where he was with all the questions about shrinking in the biggest moments again, for the way he played "late" until game 7.
LTLakerFan

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:47 pm

Small Update - Kobe Bryant: Doubters continue to motivate me

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--kobe-bryant--doubters-continue-to-motivate-me-222951238.html

The Los Angeles Lakers are opening the 2013-14 season without Kobe Bryant in uniform. When will he return?

Not even Bryant knows the answer. He told Yahoo Sports on Tuesday that he doesn't plan to play until he can perform at an "exceptional" level.

Q: Your naysayers don't expect you to come back the same because of your Achilles injury. What should we expect when you return?

Bryant: "Personally? I'm going to be the way I've always been. Maybe a little better. It's always interesting, it's motivating to hear people doubt me. The same guys put the nail in my coffin six years ago. They're still trying."

Q: How do you find a good medium between your competitiveness and also being cautious in rehabbing?

Bryant: "It's all in the same bucket. I'm really competitive. To come back at anything less than to play exceptional basketball is not really smart, then I'm not going to be at my top level and that makes the critics right. That [stuff] isn't going to happen."

Q: What's the latest on your Achilles rehabilitation?

Bryant: "This week I'm pushing it again and measuring it and seeing how it does. I pushed it really hard [Monday], and it feels pretty good today. So I will push it again [Tuesday] night then measure it [Wednesday] morning and continue to go from there."

Q: What do you mean by you will "measure" it?

Bryant: "I'll push it. I will increase the workload a lot and the next day you see how the ankle joint [feels]. At the end of the day it's really the ankle joint. The tendon is fine, but the ankle joint from being immobilized so much is naturally stiff. So it's about breaking through that and increasing that flexibility. If it recovers fine the next day you can push it and keep on going."

Q: Do you have a projected practice day?

Bryant: "No, because you don't know how it's going to respond the next day. So hopefully with me, I will continue to push it and ramp it up every single day. And then we can go from there."

Q: Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni said that once you begin practicing, you could need two to three weeks of practice before you begin playing in games. Is that correct?

Bryant: "That sounds about right. We haven't had that conversation, but that sounds about right."

Q: Do you have any wish date to return to action?

Bryant: "I don't. I don't. How can I? I don't even know if I will be able to push it hard tomorrow. I have no idea."

Q: Would it be safe to say you'll be back by December?

Bryant: "Dude, I don't know. I don't give a [expletive] what people believe. When I'm ready, I will play."

Q: When you do return, do you have a projected amount of minutes you would like to play and know what is safe?

Bryant: "Those are questions we haven't even thought of."

Q: [Lakers VP] Jim Buss has said that he is not going to let you become a free agent or go elsewhere. Your thoughts on those words?

Bryant: "I thought it was a great actually on his part to kind of silence some of the conversation that was brewing. I'm sure we will be in conversation. I'll let [my agent] Rob [Pelinka] handle that. Obviously, I have a lot to focus on right now so I will let them handle that."

Q: So that means you won't explore free agency next summer?

Bryant: "Am I a free agent right now? No. Next summer is next summer. How do I know what is going to happen? Jim Buss just said they're going to start conversations now. We will start the conversations and go from there."

Q: New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony is a good friend of yours who has said he would explore free agency next summer. Have you spoken with him about free agency?

Bryant: "He's in New York. I'm in L.A. I have no idea what he is going to do or what he is thinking about."
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:11 pm

"i was born a laker, so i look forward to dying as one"

preview from connected with kobe bryant later tonight on twcsn
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby XXIV on Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:57 am

I'm glad he's been taking it slow and that he's not giving any timetable for his return. I'd much rather he miss half the season and comeback 100% than return to soon only to get injured again.
XXIV

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:05 am

we coulda used a 40pt game from mamba last night...and at least make Klay work on defense
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:48 am

CaCHooKa Man wrote:"i was born a laker, so i look forward to dying as one"

preview from connected with kobe bryant later tonight on twcsn

Will you record it?
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:48 am

XXIV wrote:I'm glad he's been taking it slow and that he's not giving any timetable for his return. I'd much rather he miss half the season and comeback 100% than return to soon only to get injured again.

Me, too. This season's a bust. If he needed the whole year off to get to peak shape, so be it. It's a good draft. If this was going to happen on any year might as well be this one. The last thing I want is for him to come back to soon. There's absolutely no reason for that whatsoever. No one in their right mind is expecting anything of note from this squad this year.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:53 am

He's definitely being patient with an injury that requires patience, IMO. I also believe he's looking at playing an extra 2-3 more years, so he's looking at the longer-term; instead of re-injuring himself and completely ending his career, he's using wisdom, consulting his doctors, and taking this one step at a time, IMO.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:57 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:He's definitely being patient with an injury that requires patience, IMO. I also believe he's looking at playing an extra 2-3 more years, so he's looking at the longer-term; instead of re-injuring himself and completely ending his career, he's using wisdom, consulting his doctors, and taking this one step at a time, IMO.

I think and hope that you are right DHD. It would be better that way. As we are all aware, he knows only one way to play on the court and that's all out. So it behooves everyone for him not to step foot out there until he is confident that he can do so without injuring himself again. Almost needless to say, but there is a tendency for the other Achilles to go, too, once one has been ruptured, especially if someone tries to do too much too soon. We do not need that. Even more so when there's nothing at stake this year. Get healthy Kobe! :jam2: We'll see you when we see you.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:17 pm

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:37 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:Connected With Kobe Bryant:
http://www.putlocker.com/file/596A1B16EC540A7B

A great watch for sure, I liked the segment when he's talking about his girls and the possibility of him having another child with his wife Vanessa.

I also liked the part at the end when Kobe is talking about how the Staples Center crowd that last game of the playoffs before we were eliminated made him really emotionally because he could tell it was a different kind of love.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby kenzo on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:43 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:Connected With Kobe Bryant:
http://www.putlocker.com/file/596A1B16EC540A7B

Thanks a milion :jam2:
kenzo

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:55 am

Nice to be Kobe

Most players in the NBA receive their salary throughout the year -- but then Kobe Bryant is not a typical NBA player.

Negotiated as part of his specific contract, Bryant receives a balloon payment on Nov. 1. On Friday, the All-Star guard will receive $24,363,044 from the Lakers.

Bryant's salary for the entire season is $30,453,805 -- the remaining $6.1 million will be paid out over the course of the year.

While there's a limit to how much a player can receive in advance, Bryant is right at that 80% maximum.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-friday-is-payday-for-kobe-bryant-20131031,0,4979358.story#axzz2jNkBznI8
wcsoldier81

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion