Postby LakersN4 on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:39 pm

kenzo wrote:Lowry
Stephenson
Kobe
Love
Embiid
:man1:
Tax hell here we come :man9:

Assuming we get Lowry at 7-8M, Stephenson at 10-11M.. I like this alot. Above average defenders at both guard spots along with what looks to be a good to great defensive anchor. Don't think we'd have the money to sign Love though.
LakersN4

Re: Kobe Discussion: Reevalutated in early Feb; #BrokenNotBeaten

Postby trodgers on Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:45 pm

Two dude. That's what we need. Not really thrilled with any of the max options.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby SK8 on Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:20 pm

The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby BadCoaching on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:39 am

I really hope Pudge isn't on the Lakers next season..
BadCoaching

Postby jlkr on Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:30 pm

Says here Kobe will not return this season period.
Next exam comes up, no one should surprised that Kobe is still experiencing "pain" in the knee and they'll make it official.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:07 pm

BadCoaching wrote:I really hope Pudge isn't on the Lakers next season..

?? Maybe I've been under a rock, or possibly others will wonder whom you're talking about as well?
LTLakerFan

Postby HighlyFavored on Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:46 pm

Welp no more Nike Black Mamba shirts. It seems Kobe is not very business savy. First marrying with no prenup and now this. Expect Roger Mayweather to make a lot of profit off the Black Mamba brand that Kobe built, bc a ton of people will be buying it thinking they repping Kobe.. :bang: :disagree: :bang:

There's a major sports star who's trying to get the rights to call himself the "Black Mamba" -- only it's not Kobe Bryant, it's Floyd Mayweather's uncle ... who's been using the nickname for decades.

TMZ Sports has learned ... Roger Mayweather -- a former boxing champ turned trainer -- filed a trademark application with the U.S.P.T.O. hoping to win the rights to the mark, "Roger 'Black Mamba' Mayweather."

FYI -- Roger says he gave himself the nickname years ago after watching a nature show about reptiles.

According to official documents, Roger is in the final stages of locking down the trademark ... which he intends to use to brand his boxing empire (personal training, coaching, etc).

But get this ... when researching the trademark claims on "Black Mamba," we couldn't find any evidence showing Kobe has ever tried to trademark the name for himself.

We did find applications for condom brands, carbonated drinks, male enhancement products, spinal implants, cigars and more ... but nothing from Bryant.

Calls to Kobe's rep were not returned.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2014/03/04/kobe-brya ... z2v2pQBGiN
HighlyFavored

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:22 pm

:man10: what a d***.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:02 pm

Dumb move by Kobe and his team not to get the rights.
XXIV

Postby Barnstable on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:03 pm

Serious question, does he use that nickname much for his own use, or does Nike hold the rights to the name because of the shoes?
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:16 pm

Barnstable wrote:Serious question, does he use that nickname much for his own use, or does Nike hold the rights to the name because of the shoes?

I don't think his shoes go by the name Black Mamba, but rather Kobe (and then a number).
XXIV

Postby Barnstable on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:18 pm

XXIV wrote:
Barnstable wrote:Serious question, does he use that nickname much for his own use, or does Nike hold the rights to the name because of the shoes?

I don't think his shoes go by the name Black Mamba, but rather Kobe (and then a number).

I thought they also go by the name Mambas, but I could be wrong. Not like I ever got any.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:37 pm

Barnstable wrote:
XXIV wrote:

I thought they also go by the name Mambas, but I could be wrong. Not like I ever got any.

Not that I know of, but I also have never owned a pair. :man10: I have seen shirts that said Black Mamba however.
XXIV

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:02 pm

XXIV wrote:
Barnstable wrote:
XXIV wrote:

Not that I know of, but I also have never owned a pair. :man10: I have seen shirts that said Black Mamba however.

i collect his sneakers and theres only one pair that uses mamba in its nickname. the mambacurial kobe 8s. theyre inspired by the mercurial vapor soccer shoes.

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Well that's why Kobe should have gone to college :man12:

Sucks though..... :man5:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:45 pm

Guys

He evolved to "Vino"

:man1:
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:30 am

Whether he expressly uses the nickname or not for his shoes or his brand, he uses it constantly as a reference to himself. On social media regarding himself, in interviews, in conversations with the media...

This is a business move by Mayweather's uncle. Either Kobe moves away from the name or he has to buy the trademark from him. D*** move by him though since I think Kobe and Floyd are close.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:59 am

therealdeal wrote:Whether he expressly uses the nickname or not for his shoes or his brand, he uses it constantly as a reference to himself. On social media regarding himself, in interviews, in conversations with the media...

This is a business move by Mayweather's uncle. Either Kobe moves away from the name or he has to buy the trademark from him. D*** move by him though since I think Kobe and Floyd are close.

I'm sure Kobe will attempt to buy the rights from him, but who knows what he'll be asking. I still can't believe Kobe didn't trademark the "Black Mamba." Even Davis trademarked his unibrow. :man10:
XXIV

Postby SK8 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:17 pm

The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby tigerjeterkobe on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:30 pm

therealdeal wrote:Whether he expressly uses the nickname or not for his shoes or his brand, he uses it constantly as a reference to himself. On social media regarding himself, in interviews, in conversations with the media...

Or....Kobe and/or Nike challenge the uncle's application (with the PTO or in court) since Kobe has clearly been using the brand for many many years and the uncle never said anything about it. It is a laches defense, and probably a darn good one too. But yes, clearly this is the uncle (having allowed Kobe to use the brand for many years and totally build it up) now trying to cash in (on the increased marketability of the brand now or from Kobe directly), which is precisely why a laches defense should prevail. The uncle lost his rights by sitting on them intentionally.
tigerjeterkobe

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:38 pm

tigerjeterkobe wrote:

Or....Kobe and/or Nike challenge the uncle's application (with the PTO or in court) since Kobe has clearly been using the brand for many many years and the uncle never said anything about it. It is a laches defense, and probably a darn good one too. But yes, clearly this is the uncle (having allowed Kobe to use the brand for many years and totally build it up) now trying to cash in (on the increased marketability of the brand now or from Kobe directly), which is precisely why a laches defense should prevail. The uncle lost his rights by sitting on them intentionally.

I don't know if it was intentional or not. Who knows the history behind that? Maybe he was called Black Mamba a long time ago, forgot it for the most part, and then recently decided he could use that name to bring back his image for his gym. I suppose you could argue that he intentionally let Kobe use the name, but who really knows?

Either way you're right. There is a defense here, I just see it being settled probably.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:49 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
BadCoaching wrote:I really hope Pudge isn't on the Lakers next season..

?? Maybe I've been under a rock, or possibly others will wonder whom you're talking about as well?

Maybe he's referring to the former Texas Rangers catcher Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez.

I honestly have know idea who he's talking about either.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby HighlyFavored on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:17 pm

My guess is Kobe will just stop using the Black Mamba nickname, just like Nike and Kevin Durant had to stopped using the nickname Durantula once KD got sued.
HighlyFavored

Postby khmrP on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:22 pm

nice sweater in that piano commercial...gona have to get me one. Wont be sheding any years over kobe's potential loss over the trade mark of his nick name, he can live w/o a few million here and there
khmrP

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion