Kobe Bryant Discussion: Reason for Lakers downfall?

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: Magic Mamba

Postby Murdock on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:57 pm

KB24 wrote:But with that said, it seems like his range is officially gone.

the past few seasons his 3ball is literally cringe-worthy.

he has now made like 1 of his last 25 threes or so. Its particularly annoying because he takes almost 6 threes a game. His average is down to 33% now, below average and trending downward.

it's mostly because he takes bad shots ... even in this game he passed up on wide open shot just to make two dribbles and take contested one ... and with his threes it's ten times worse IMO
Murdock

Postby nthydro on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:00 pm

WOW...that dunk just left me speechless. This dude is 34 years old with 17 seasons under his belt? That was early 2000 Kobe right there. I can't remember the last time I was that awestruck by a Kobe dunk. Maybe 2008 when he did that reverse pump vs the Hornets. But he was still in his prime then. And the dunks hes had over CP3 and Knight were nice but they're little guys so I wasnt that impressed. But this one was in traffic over 2 guys bigger than him. Just plain filthy. The fact that he can still explode like that, in the 4th quarter no less, is just crazy. No question that was an And 1 too. I loved Earl Clark's reaction :man10:
nthydro

Postby kenzo on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:05 pm

He barely got over the rim guys :man9:
kenzo

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:07 pm

kenzo wrote:He barely got over the rim guys :man9:

I'll give him a pass because he used Wallace's arm to cover his face with, so it was really a blindfolded dunk in a real game. :man12:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby karacha on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:12 pm

The difference between this Kobe and young Kobe is that he can't dunk like that very often anymore. Uh... things like that are fairly common when you get older. :man1:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:25 pm

kenzo wrote:He barely got over the rim guys :man9:

Well also to be fair he got up pretty high against Brandon Knight for the dunk in Detroit. :man10:

But yeah, his vertical is not what it was just a few years ago.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Pretty sick video of Kobe's dunk. Take note of Jamison's and John Legend's reactions. :man10:

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Would you guys stop being debbie downers geesh :man10: . Better savor this season and half while it's left.
Jazzygirl205

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Yeah he barely got it over the rim. But the force it had in real time was still impressive.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Ras Algethi on Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:50 pm

Kobe's a two feet jumper so its impressive that he had that kind of dunk off of one leg. Most of his memorable throw downs are off two feet.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:03 pm

only Kobe could do a dunk like that and people find criticism of it... The man is amazing
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby D.B. Cooper on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:13 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Pretty sick video of Kobe's dunk. Take note of Jamison's and John Legend's reactions. :man10:

:man10:
D.B. Cooper

Postby Kit on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:31 pm

I watched it 3 times on NBA.com. John Legend's "nasty" reaction is nasty.
Kit

Postby kobebryant248 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:57 pm

wtf is wrong with you guys. off course he isn t the same athletic guy like he was some years ago but he still has hops and can go to the basket and dunk the ball with authority if he wants to. he s still capable of doing some great drives and dunks if he wants. and only thing what some guys outhere can say is complaining that he barely got over to the dunk. man he dunked on wallace and humphries. enjoy that dunk and maybe be quiet with some stupid comments. wow lakers really have some weird fans even when they are doing great things , like kobe did with that dunk some guys come up with such stupid comments.man that p... me off be quiet and enjoy such moments instead of bashing him and complaining over him. :mad1: :bang: :bang: :mad1: :bang:
kobebryant248

Postby Juronimo on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:59 pm

kobebryant248 wrote:wtf is wrong with you guys. off course he isn t the same athletic guy like he was some years ago but he still has hops and can go to the basket and dunk the ball with authority if he wants to. he s still capable of doing some great drives and dunks if he wants. and only thing what some guys outhere can say is complaining that he barely got over to the dunk. man he dunked on wallace and humphries. enjoy that dunk and maybe be quiet with some stupid comments. wow lakers really have some weird fans even when they are doing great things , like kobe did with that dunk some guys come up with such stupid comments.man that p... me off be quiet and enjoy such moments instead of bashing him and complaining over him. :mad1: :bang: :bang: :mad1: :bang:

Dude, calm down, those posters were just messing around. Everyone knows it was an amazing dunk and a momentum changing play.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby kobebryant248 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:00 pm

one more thing that was just a sick dunk. really nasty . plain simple :jam2:
kobebryant248

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:42 pm

No player is going to be the same person they were 10 or 15 years ago. Not in any sport, but for him to be able to still give us dunks, and blow by's with this many season under his belt is still incredible. That's why I'm more impressed by him than anyone else.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:44 pm

^ word......

Homie needs to share the fountain of youth with Nash & Gasol though yaddimean... :man13:
Chillbongo

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:41 pm

Kobe Bryant again has urged Dwight Howard to play through some pain while claiming that the Los Angeles Lakers' center "worries too much" about media and fan criticism.

Howard has missed the past three games because of a torn labrum in his shoulder, aggravating an injury he initially suffered earlier this season.

Despite winning the three games Howard has missed, the Lakers (23-26) are 10th in the Western Conference playoff race. They also will be without star forward Pau Gasol, who has a tear in the plantar fascia of his right foot, an MRI revealed Wednesday. The Lakers fear Gasol could be sidelined four to six weeks, a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com.

"We don't have time for (Howard's shoulder) to heal," Bryant said Wednesday in an exclusive interview with ESPNBoston.com's Jackie MacMullan. "We need some urgency."

The interview with MacMullan came one day after Bryant publicly challenged Howard, stating that playing through an injury is "something that you have to balance out and manage."

Bryant also asserted that Howard is preoccupied with how he is perceived by fans and media.

"Dwight worries too much about what people think," Bryant told MacMullan. "I told him, 'You can't worry about that. It's holding you back.' He says, 'OK, OK, OK,' but it's always hovering around him.

"He just wants people to like him. He doesn't want to let anyone down, and that gets him away from what he should be doing."

Bryant also speculated that Howard, in his first season with Los Angeles, may not be accustomed to the Lakers' standards.

"(Howard) has never been in a position where someone is driving him as hard as I am, as hard as this organization is," Bryant told MacMullan. "It's win a championship or everything is a complete failure. That's just how (the Lakers) do it. And that's foreign to him.

"When you think about it, there aren't many organizations that look at it that way. There are only two that can really honestly say that's what they live by -- Los Angeles and Boston."

Howard preached patience in a recent interview with ESPN's Stephen A. Smith, pointing to the fact that Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal needed three years before winning a championship with the Lakers.

But the 34-year-old Bryant, who is averaging 27.6 points per game in his 17th NBA season, is approaching this season with more desperation.

"We don't have three years," Kobe said. "We've got this year."

Howard is listed as day to day, and his status is uncertain for Thursday's game against the Boston Celtics.

The Lakers are hopeful Gasol's injury will prompt Howard to return "sooner than later," a team source told ESPNLosAngeles.com.

ESPNBoston's Jackie MacMullan, ESPNLosAngeles.com's Dave McMenamin and ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne contributed to this report.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... -play-pain
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:43 pm

Jazzygirl205

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:49 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:
Kobe Bryant again has urged Dwight Howard to play through some pain while claiming that the Los Angeles Lakers' center "worries too much" about media and fan criticism.

Howard has missed the past three games because of a torn labrum in his shoulder, aggravating an injury he initially suffered earlier this season.

Despite winning the three games Howard has missed, the Lakers (23-26) are 10th in the Western Conference playoff race. They also will be without star forward Pau Gasol, who has a tear in the plantar fascia of his right foot, an MRI revealed Wednesday. The Lakers fear Gasol could be sidelined four to six weeks, a source told ESPNLosAngeles.com.

"We don't have time for (Howard's shoulder) to heal," Bryant said Wednesday in an exclusive interview with ESPNBoston.com's Jackie MacMullan. "We need some urgency."

The interview with MacMullan came one day after Bryant publicly challenged Howard, stating that playing through an injury is "something that you have to balance out and manage."

Bryant also asserted that Howard is preoccupied with how he is perceived by fans and media.

"Dwight worries too much about what people think," Bryant told MacMullan. "I told him, 'You can't worry about that. It's holding you back.' He says, 'OK, OK, OK,' but it's always hovering around him.

"He just wants people to like him. He doesn't want to let anyone down, and that gets him away from what he should be doing."

Bryant also speculated that Howard, in his first season with Los Angeles, may not be accustomed to the Lakers' standards.

"(Howard) has never been in a position where someone is driving him as hard as I am, as hard as this organization is," Bryant told MacMullan. "It's win a championship or everything is a complete failure. That's just how (the Lakers) do it. And that's foreign to him.

"When you think about it, there aren't many organizations that look at it that way. There are only two that can really honestly say that's what they live by -- Los Angeles and Boston."

Howard preached patience in a recent interview with ESPN's Stephen A. Smith, pointing to the fact that Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal needed three years before winning a championship with the Lakers.

But the 34-year-old Bryant, who is averaging 27.6 points per game in his 17th NBA season, is approaching this season with more desperation.

"We don't have three years," Kobe said. "We've got this year."

Howard is listed as day to day, and his status is uncertain for Thursday's game against the Boston Celtics.

The Lakers are hopeful Gasol's injury will prompt Howard to return "sooner than later," a team source told ESPNLosAngeles.com.

ESPNBoston's Jackie MacMullan, ESPNLosAngeles.com's Dave McMenamin and ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne contributed to this report.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... -play-pain

Just about to post this. Some really good stuff in there from our leader, Kobe.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:53 am

Mamba mode needs to be activated. IMMEDEATELY! We NEED this game. Severely undermanned, kobe and nash will need to have amazing games in order to get this W.
King of Clutch

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:02 am

Kobe's both right and wrong.

All I hope is that this information went to Dwight first, otherwise Kobe is being a pretty huge hypocrit. :man10: But I don't doubt Kobe has been saying this stuff to Dwight in the locker room.

Dwight DOES need to man up. I know it hurts, but if the labrum is legitimately torn from the bone (which is what we've been made to understand) then it's not going to get FURTHER damaged. It's hit the maximum level of damage and it requires surgery to fix. Well since he won't hurt it further, he's got to play through it. I know Kobe would and I also know that's an unfair comparison, but if Dwight is going to win rings he has to realize the level of dedication that you need. Kobe really is putting him through the flames right now and I honestly think Dwight can make it through... I just hope he does it soon. We need him on the court now more than ever. He's GOT to come back.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JLaker17 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:16 am

I get that Dwight wants to heal up and all that, but Kobe is right. We don't have time to keep waiting for it to heal. We need wins and we need them now.
JLaker17

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:16 pm

I'm just gonna throw it out there that I personally like Kobe's leadership style. He is not afraid to be the bad guy publicly in order to win, and I want that guy on my team. Not everyone likes that, but I much prefer it to a guy who cares what the media thinks and holds stuff back to look like a nice guy. Kobe's not a nice guy when it comes to winning and it's gotten us 5 titles, so I say he can say what he wants when it concerns what it takes to win.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion