Kobe Discussion: Shutting it down; Puts Lakers FO on blast

Re: Kobe Bryant Appreciation Thread.

Postby BDG on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:56 pm

Just thinking about tonight again ...

Kobe came into that arena from the start, knowing he wanted to put up a dominant scoring performance and crush the other team.

How many players can actually think about that, then actually go out there and execute it?

Just further proof that he's one of the greatest players to ever play this game.

61 points is no joke.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby BDG on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:56 am

Quotes on Kobe's 61 ...

Bryant's night quickly became the talk of the league.

"I've never had a night like that," said Heat guard Dwyane Wade, who scored 32 in Miami's win over the Los Angeles Clippers on Monday night. "You could tell, just watching the highlights, he had a pep in his step and he was on a mission. With Bynum out, he's going to have to do a little more, and I think he understands that. I mean, 61 points, that's Kobe -- that's all you can say."

Hearing Wade, Heat rookie Michael Beasley became wide-eyed.

"Kobe scored 61?" he asked. "You serious?"

Here is a smattering of comments from those involved:

Knicks Head Coach Mike D'Antoni: "He's pretty good. I thought in the first half, we contested a lot of shots. We put him on the line for twenty points. That's when you put up crazy numbers, which he had tonight. But you got to take your hat off to him; he made some unbelievable shots. We didn't really want to double him all the time becuase he will find other guys.
More from Coach D'Antoni: "He does it every night. He just happened to get a few more points tonight. This guy is really good. But having said that, we had opportunities to be right there with him.

Trevor Ariza: "He didn't have any smiles and he wasn't out there playing games. He was out there to kill it and he did that. I saw it before we even got to the arena, when we were on the bus. He didn't really say much, he was just focused and when someone is that hot, you give them the ball and get out of the way."
Ariza on taking in the show when Kobe gets it going like that: "You have to continue to play. It's a gift and a curse at the same time because you've got to remember you are playing. We want to win, so you just have to try and stay focused and watch, but contribute at the same time.

David Lee: "He played really well. He's one of the best players in the league; probably the best and he got on a roll tonight and he hit a bunch of shots and free throws. When a guy gets hot like that, with his talent, it's tough to stop."
More Lee, commenting on defensive schemes to try and stop Kobe: "There's not much you can do. Wilson [Chandler] played great defense for the majority of the game. It's tough when he's so good at drawing fouls and he is so good at hitting shots over the top. He wasn't just sitting there dunking and getting lay-ups. Its not like guys were playing soft. There are just very few guys that can do that and he did it tonight."

Chris Duhon: "We were caught up in what Kobe was doing. We did not stick to our game plan and it got us flustered… He had an amazing performance and I give him all the credit in the world. He hit 70-something percent for his 61 points. I don't care who you are – you are not going to win that."

Kobe was asked about his motivation, and whether he wanted to send a message after Bynum went down. Kobe stated that was part of the reason: "A combination of things; It's him going down, this kind of being a hump game for us on this road trip. I felt like I needed to focus even more, more so than usual, try to stay in that pocket." Bryant also admitted that he wanted to avoid trash-talk from Spike Lee, whom he planned on reviewing a documentary after the game. "I didn't feel like sitting next to him and hearing him talking trash about the Knicks. That was added incentive as well — seriously. He's going to get an earful tonight."
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby Kobe Bryant 8 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:02 am

I yelled to my buddy downstairs when Kobe scored his fourth point that he should come upstairs and witness a performance. He had that look in his eye from the start... I know that look.

"Who's got it better than us? NOOOOOO BODY!" - Jim Harbaugh

Hip-Hop Fans: DJ KB8 Presents - Felt 3: The Remixes (Coming Soon)
Kobe Bryant 8
CL's Voice of Reason

Postby Lakers Advocate on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:04 am

BDG wrote:
Trevor Ariza: "He didn't have any smiles and he wasn't out there playing games.

i notice that to.
Lakers Advocate

Postby BDG on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:09 am

Kobe Bryant 8 wrote:I yelled to my buddy downstairs when Kobe scored his fourth point that he should come upstairs and witness a performance. He had that look in his eye from the start... I know that look.
That's funny, I stood up in front of the TV for the entire game around the time Kobe scored his 13th point because I knew he was gonna have an amazing night.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby thisbjgz on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:12 am

these pretty much summed up the night

x about 18 more of those.

standing O in the Garden...please TONS and LOUD MVP chants throughout the WHOLE game.

too lazy to upload the other ones :man10: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :bow:
thisbjgz

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:32 am

^ Great photos, upload the rest!

It's not like Kobe was hitting wide open jumpers, the guy was there. Kobe was just Kobe in 5th gear today (no not 6th).
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby BDG on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:36 am

Bryant’s 61 will grow in Garden’s history
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports

Kobe Bryant climbs off the bus on 33rd Street in New York and into that old, creaky freight elevator that lifts the players to the floor level. This still gets to him. Just Monday night, he was thinking about the history, about Jerry West and Willis Reed, about the way that Madison Square Garden still stands for a forever time in the National Basketball Association.

“This is the last one left,” Bryant said. “This is the last one that holds all the memories.”

Yes, he thinks about those Lakers-Knicks NBA Finals, and he thinks about Michael Jordan’s 55, and he thinks about leaving his legacy there. He wants to be remembered as the greatest player of his time – maybe ever – and understands that an important part of that always goes through New York.

So, Bryant donated 61 points to the shrine Monday night, embarrassing the New York Knicks with the greatest offensive performance the Garden had ever seen. Perhaps it was inevitable that he had to go for everything. Jordan scored 55 points there. LeBron James had 50. Bryant had a couple 40-point games but never chased the ghosts at the Garden. Here was a perfect storm for that to happen. Bryant’s sense of nostalgia met a simmering rage over the loss of Lakers center Andrew Bynum.

Bryant had crashed into his teammate Saturday night, torn his MCL, and the diagnosis of a two- to three-month recovery ripped through the Lakers on Monday. Bryant’s bid for a fourth NBA title had been delivered a difficult, if not devastating, blow. Bynum will likely be gone for the start of the playoffs, and upon his return, could struggle to regain his rapidly rising dominance.

All that turned Kobe’s disposition dark and brooding. If the Lakers knew anything about Bryant, they knew there would be hell to pay for the Knicks. Across this brilliant night – long jumpers and twisting turnarounds and breathless drives – there was still such a somberness to him. Maybe it was a message to his teammates, to the rest of the league, that the Lakers were still chasing a championship. Maybe he just wanted to change the story line overnight from Bynum’s knee to his own greatness.

Without Bynum, Bryant’s burden grows immensely, and so, there was no joy in him. No frivolity, no jabbering with Spike Lee. There was no acknowledgement of the Knicks fans chanting “MVP … MVP” until he left the 126-117 victory with 2½ minutes left in the game.

“He wouldn’t speak to anyone on the court tonight,” the Knicks’ David Lee said. “He was very quiet.”

It was the greatest scoring night in Garden history. Jordan had 55 points in 1995, and Bernard King had 60 in 1984 and now Bryant passes everyone with 61. Now, LeBron comes to the Garden on Wednesday night with the Cleveland Cavaliers, but he doesn’t have the stomach for such single-minded shooting nights. James always wanted to be more Magic than Michael. Only Jordan did it three games into his comeback from a year and a half in minor league baseball, and Phil Jackson remembered, “He wasn’t really totally himself as a player. We just stuck him in the post that night.”

Bryant has become a better teammate, a better team player, but his core is unchanged: Ultimately, he goes it alone. As well as anyone since Jordan, he creates high drama and elevates himself to reach it. He started scoring fast and never stopped. The Knicks were props. They looked as liable to ask him for his autograph as they did try to defend him.

“He kind of had this dazed look on his face,” Lamar Odom said. “Some call it the zone. He was just in another world. I don’t think it probably mattered what shot he took or how he took it. It probably would’ve went in.”

For the Lakers, these scoring binges aren’t always the best in the long run. Pau Gasol had 31 points, yes, but there was a lot of standing around, a lot of watching Bryant. As much as ever, Bryant will need to honor the lessons learned a year ago on the way to the Finals. He needs his teammates and they need him. Jackson, an old Knick, was respectful of Bryant’s bid for Garden history, but seemed wary of its lingering impact on a team that has to learn to play differently again.

Mere moments into the game, Jackson could see where Bryant wanted to go Monday night. At halftime, he had 34 points and Jackson wanted to see the ball move a little better, see Odom and Derek Fisher a bigger part of the picture. “I just told him to get everybody involved, which didn’t happen,” Jackson said.

After all these years of coaching Michael and Kobe on these trips to New York, Jackson knows that resistance is futile. Wisely, he let Kobe go. Jackson will worry about coaching the rest of the team tomorrow.

Nevertheless, history was calling Monday night. Kobe Bryant stepped out of that old freight elevator and could see the center-court tunnel down the hallway, see the lights of Madison Square Garden. He stepped out of that dark place and into the forever lights of the last pro basketball gym that holds all the history, all the memories. All that nostalgia, all that rage – resistance was futile. These were 61 points to stand the test of time.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby BDG on Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:57 am

ESPN Daily Dime

What Motivated Kobe's 61? Here's Five Reasons
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- Bernard King will want to read on, because it was his 24-year-old scoring record at the new Madison Square Garden that fell Monday night at the hands of Kobe Bryant.

Michael Jordan will want to read this one all the way through, too, because it was his record -- the most points by a Knicks opponent -- that also fell on this night, a surreal evening when the Lakers recovered from a piece of devastating news by riding the back of one of the game's all-time great players, a living legend who put on an absolutely brilliant offensive performance.

The question they'll want answered: What got into Kobe?

What exactly motivated Bryant to score 61 points in the Lakers' 126-117 victory over the New York Knicks?

The answer, actually, is fivefold:

• The need to lift up his team following the news of Andrew Bynum's knee injury, which will sideline him 8 to 12 weeks, and the accompanying need to show the world that he can still carry the Lakers offensively like he could three or four years ago.

• His desire to not spend the rest of the night being berated by Spike Lee, since the two were scheduled to review Lee's latest documentary into the wee hours of the morning "and I didn't want to hear an earful from him, so that was added incentive. Seriously," Bryant said.

• Throughout the summer he spent with Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni on Team USA, it was a common occurrence for random players to predict they'd drop 50 on D'Antoni's team when they came to the Garden. Dwyane Wade was the only one to outright threaten to drop 50 on the Knicks (if D'Antoni did not give him enough playing time in Beijing), but several of the players chimed in with similar boasts. "Do not underestimate the trash talking that was going on between us this summer," Bryant said.

• The need to teach Knicks forward Wilson Chandler a lesson or two about what happens when an opponent makes Bryant look bad, as Chandler did on an isolation play to end the first quarter when he made a nifty block of Bryant's driving layup attempt. The next five or six times Bryant got the ball matched against Chandler, he buried every shot he took.

• His memory of an early-morning encounter with a Knicks fan in the weight room of the Four Seasons Hotel on Central Park South, where Bryant was working out Monday.

"There's a lot of electricity in this town now. I go to lift weights in the morning, and people aren't talking about how many points are you going to score tonight, they're talking about the Knicks getting a win. So D'Antoni has definitely come here and revitalized this city," Bryant said.

Actually, few if any single-night events over the past decade revitalized Madison Square Garden quite as much as this night did, though Knicks fans who were not in attendance will be sad/appalled/mortified to learn that at least half of the sellout crowd seemed to be favoring the Lakers, and the "M-V-P" chants echoing throughout the building occasionally bordered on the deafening.

Bryant claimed he had no idea the arena scoring record (set by King against New Jersey on Christmas Day in 1984) was within reach when he went to the line with 2:33 remaining and sank his final two free throws -- making his 20-for-20 from the line for the night, including 11-for-11 in the fourth quarter -- to reach 61 points, saying afterward that it was "a blessing" while joking that his career has progressed somewhat since he played his first game in the Garden as a rookie "nervous as heck and weighing about 80 pounds soaking wet."

I have a crystal clear memory of the then 18-year-old Bryant's very first night playing at MSG early in the 1996-97 season. I was sitting no more than 12 feet away from him, and I can clearly recollect him staring wide-eyed from the bench at his new teammate, Shaquille O'Neal, while wearing a dreamlike gaze on his face that seemed to be saying: "I can't believe I'm on the same team as Shaq."

Each of their careers have moved through their relative highs and lows in the ensuing years, and the Garden was a place where the Lakers could have started feeling badly about themselves, snakebitten even, following the news earlier in the day that Bynum's injury -- a torn medial collateral ligament -- will keep him sidelined at least until April.

Suddenly, what had been the Western Conference's only powerhouse team was looking like it would be a bit more mortal between now and June.

And just as suddenly, Bryant sent a message loud and clear to the rest of the Lakers that he, and they, were not going to let this ruin them.

"You know, you could see in the first five minutes it was going to be like that," said Lakers coach Phil Jackson, who wryly noted afterward that Bryant and Pau Gasol (31 points) ignored his halftime admonition to move the ball around a little more in the second half.

But with Bryant making his first two attempts from behind the 3-point arc and continually hitting from all angles, then repeatedly driving and drawing fouls in the fourth (when Gasol wasn't manhandling the Knicks' undersized front line), the night was his, the electricity in the building was palpable, and the standing ovation when he exited was of the likes not seen in this building since Patrick Ewing returned in a Seattle uniform back in the 2000-01 season.

"Nights that Kobe's on fire, he burns hot," Jackson said.

So while Bryant spent the rest of the evening reviewing Lee's latest documentary, and the rest of the Lakers enjoyed an extra night on the town before heading to Toronto for stop No. 4 on their current five-game trip, the Lakers still were due to awake Tuesday to the realization that as great as this one particular night was for one particular player, there's a long, tough road ahead as they move forward without their center, a center who hobbled through the Garden with a 6-plus-foot-tall black crutch propped under his shoulder to keep his weight off his injured knee.

And when we get to April and May, and maybe even June -- the condition of that 7-footer on crutches is going to matter a whole lot more to the Lakers than anything Bryant did back in early February on a strangely balmy day in New York City, a day that ended with Bryant heating up like no player had ever done before at the corner of 33rd and Eighth.

And to King, Jordan, Chandler, D'Antoni and that anonymous Knicks fan in the Four Seasons weight room, you now have an explanation as to what motivated Bryant to pull off the performance he did.

And to LeBron James, you now should be fully aware what the arena scoring record is when you make your last MSG appearance of the regular season on Wednesday night. The magic number will be 62.

BDG
Retired Admin

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:13 am

of course he had to add this to the end. it wouldnt be an ESPN article without it.

And to LeBron James, you now should be fully aware what the arena scoring record is when you make your last MSG appearance of the regular season on Wednesday night. The magic number will be 62.
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Ras Algethi on Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:59 am

All of Kobe's FGs in HD quality to boot.

http://www.lakersmedia.com/video/index. ... 1#comments
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ramballa on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:08 am

His memory of an early-morning encounter with a Knicks fan in the weight room of the Four Seasons Hotel on Central Park South, where Bryant was working out Monday."

What was this about im confused.. :man3: ?? can somebody clarify
Ramballa

Postby GinoDB on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:10 am

Ramballa wrote:His memory of an early-morning encounter with a Knicks fan in the weight room of the Four Seasons Hotel on Central Park South, where Bryant was working out Monday."

probably just some fan trash talking , or just asking Kobe how much he can score against the Knicks
GinoDB

Postby ZenMaster4President on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:30 am

Ramballa wrote:His memory of an early-morning encounter with a Knicks fan in the weight room of the Four Seasons Hotel on Central Park South, where Bryant was working out Monday."

Read the lines right down to it. The fan(s) was not asking how many points Kobe is going to score, instead he had the audacity to ponder on whether the Knicks are going to win. That is disrespectful :man12: :man12:
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby borri on Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:36 am

Kobe could have scored 80 tonight. He really could have....no doubt in my mind. The last time he was this hot, he scored 63 in 3 quarters against DAL. The 81 pt night....was really quiet...compared to tonight and that DAL game.
borri

Postby OchoX3 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:12 am

OchoX3

Postby GNC on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:52 am

i must say lamar has witnessed some of kobes greatest games... and each time he says the same thing.

truly a great teamate! hopefully he steps up and helps carry the team till drew gets back
and kobe was brilliant last night
GNC

Postby d.James on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:57 am

Who's worried about Andrew Bynum this morning? The cream always rises and Bryant will do everything in his power to give Los Angeles its 15th Lakers title.
With expectation comes responsibility. Respect is earned. When opportunity arises, preparation will calm nerves, inspire confidence, and help you to realize the moment. Where there is failure is a blueprint of how to improve. To fail to learn, even with talent, makes you ordinary. To learn from all experiences is to learn to become the best.
www.facebook.com/loudaboutbasketball
d.James
Clublakers Rep: Pistons

Postby Radner on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:06 am

d.James wrote:Who's worried about Andrew Bynum this morning? The cream always rises and Bryant will do everything in his power to give Los Angeles its 15th Lakers title.

What exactly does that mean though?

Does he need score more in order to keep this team afloat? Because if that is what you're referring to, we could be in trouble. This was a good game to blow some steam off but lets not make this a trend of how many 50 point games he can get.

He's capable but that's not necessary for this team to win games or a title.
Radner

Postby d.James on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:13 am

Radner wrote:
d.James wrote:Who's worried about Andrew Bynum this morning? The cream always rises and Bryant will do everything in his power to give Los Angeles its 15th Lakers title.

What exactly does that mean though?

Does he need score more in order to keep this team afloat? Because if that is what you're referring to, we could be in trouble. This was a good game to blow some steam off but lets not make this a trend of how many 50 point games he can get.

He's capable but that's not necessary for this team to win games or a title.

I think for this one night it means scoring 61 points to beat the New York Knicks. His passion, mind, and perseverance will fill in where I cannot; what appropriate measure of shooting is required.
With expectation comes responsibility. Respect is earned. When opportunity arises, preparation will calm nerves, inspire confidence, and help you to realize the moment. Where there is failure is a blueprint of how to improve. To fail to learn, even with talent, makes you ordinary. To learn from all experiences is to learn to become the best.
www.facebook.com/loudaboutbasketball
d.James
Clublakers Rep: Pistons

Postby D.B. Cooper on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:15 am

I was just listening to The Jim Rome radio show and Kobe haters are chiming in.

Anyway, Rome told a story about this past off season, he said he ran in to Kobe and his boys one night. Rome asked him to come over and have a beers and some steak and Kobe came back with "I can't". Rome says "what do you mean you cant? Its 9 o'clock on a Saturday night?" Kobe says "I can't, I gotta go work out..." Rome with a perplexed look on his face said a few minutes later Kobe was gone.
D.B. Cooper

Kobe Never Lost The Mamba In Him

Postby superbad on Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:57 am

...Last night was his proof.

I was talking to some co-workers who are Kobe and Lakers haters and they were like: god damn that kobe kicked some a$$ last night. i didnt know he can still go like that.

my reply: umm duh :freak2: !!! he always had it in him. it's just that he had enough key players he can support and work with but he can just go mamba and annihilate every player gets in the way at any time.

:jam2:
^^^ THE SHOT THAT GAVE US OUR FOURTH RING! 15TH MOFOS! ^^^
superbad

Re: Kobe Never Lost The Mamba In Him

Postby TalkieWalkie on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:04 pm

Kobe re-tooled his game a bit since last year...I think the jump shot is becomming a high-percentage shot for him....and it's making him more lethal on the dribble. One thing that's giving him these higher percentages is his mid-range game....he's definately put an emphasis on it. Younger Kobe was more content to take super-long two pointers...or super long 3-balls....while he could hit them...he was riding at 44-45%...

He's found that he can hit the mid-range 15-18 footers at a near 50% clip....and he's working for that position. He's penetrating a LOT more and stopping short to drop in the close floaters... Those have ALWAYS been a part of his game, but he just never really relied on them. He relied on his ability to elevate from far out.

It's hard to believe...but that jumper is getting better and better every season.
If on the morrow of the revolution, the masses of the people have only phrases at their service, if they do not recognize, by clear and blinding facts, that the situation has been transformed to their advantage, if the overthrow ends only in a change of persons and forumlae, nothing will have been acheived. -Peter Kropotkin
TalkieWalkie

Postby Ramballa on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:13 pm

Glen Quagmire wrote:I was just listening to The Jim Rome radio show and Kobe haters are chiming in.

Anyway, Rome told a story about this past off season, he said he ran in to Kobe and his boys one night. Rome asked him to come over and have a beers and some steak and Kobe came back with "I can't". Rome says "what do you mean you cant? Its 9 o'clock on a Saturday night?" Kobe says "I can't, I gotta go work out..." Rome with a perplexed look on his face said a few minutes later Kobe was gone.

:jam2: :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
Ramballa

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:15 pm

Glen Quagmire wrote:I was just listening to The Jim Rome radio show and Kobe haters are chiming in.

Honestly I don't like Rome, I think he's really annoying, but he's got a lot of love for Kobe. Got to be happy with someone on ESPN loving Kobe.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion