Kobe Thread: Bucher- Kobe = Father of Team USA Success p.819

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: ten 30pt game streak

Postby lotus on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:01 am

Kobe is getting ripped off by teammates and management. I love that he keeps playing hard regardless of whether his teammates match his night in and night out effort, and despite of that bungling idiot's coaching hires.
lotus

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:01 am

Do you all think he can be this efficient next season? Don't slam me for looking ahead because that's not what I'm trying to do, but he'll be 35 and that's another year on his knees and body but if we made trades and all more valuable pieces would he be able to still be as efficient? I say this because if not then this would be one wasted effort in his final stretch of years as a Laker. Just think if he had this season combined with a winning record? I would be like Christmas all year.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Forward Three on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:04 am

He played great tonight. Maybe took one or two 'Hero shots' and he had a couple of blown defensive switches but his man defense against Paul was perfectly adequate, given that Paul is one of the premier one-on-one players in the league that's certainly noteworthy. But all around, he played one of his better games of the season, single-handedly willed the team back into the game and it is just downright insulting no one else on the team can treat the game as seriously as he does.
Forward Three

Postby TIME on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:05 am

Jazzygirl205 wrote:Do you all think he can be this efficient next season? Don't slam me for looking ahead because that's not what I'm trying to do, but he'll be 35 and that's another year on his knees and body but if we made trades and all more valuable pieces would he be able to still be as efficient? I say this because if not then this would be one wasted effort in his final stretch of years as a Laker. Just think if he had this season combined with a winning record? I would be like Christmas all year.

No one thought he would be MORE efficient this year. So I'm hoping he can stay close to this level for 2-3 more. Hoping...
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:07 am

At this point, he's one of the very, very few reasons the games are "fun" to watch or service their original function of entertaining people. Nash is another. MWP when he's on is another. That's pretty much it.

I thought he played an awesome game today. The array of shots he hit, one after another, keeping us in game, just gotta shake your head. The game was VERY hard to watch through several stretches, and if Kobe doesn't go off on O we pretty much lose by 20+-

His D on CP360 in the clutch was great as well. Forced him into turnovers and bad shots, except for that one step back J, that was just a great shot by Paul. All the other points he got came from FTs (intentional fouls and Howard's DUMB foul).

I'm just trying to appreciate the guy before it's too late and he retires. I just wanna enjoy the remainder of his career. Not many get to watch such talent live. Crossover J, up-fake and-1 J, dream shake fadeaway J over the defender's' arms, first step blow by dunk/reverse layup... The whole arsenal and then some.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Forward Three on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:08 am

I think he definitely can play this well next season. The truth of the matter is the past few seasons he has been playing hurt. He's said numerous times he isn't hurt this season and if he stays not-hurt next season there's really no reason he shouldn't be able to play basically this well again, maybe his rebounding goes down a little, maybe his scoring goes down a little, but the guy really is that good and the only reason people even started getting on his case re: shot selection and efficiency was because he's had a couple of seasons in a row of tending to various minor/moderate injuries all season long. Since he's gotten healthier, the inefficient games are becoming rarer again(as they were back when he was younger) and he's still playing wise and experienced basketball the majority of the time(occasional "Kobe Shot" or two not withstanding).
Forward Three

Postby Finwë on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:09 am

Doc Brown wrote:On paper we have a roster that Kobe doesn't have to exert himself, but in reality we have a roster that has vastly under performed and has been largely inconsistent all year.....

D12 - Inconsistent post game, turnovers, can't shoot free throws.
Pau - Shooting sub 30% in the paint and has an inconsistent jumper.
Morris - Is one good game in seven being too generous? He hustles, but his offense can't be relied on.
Duhon - Can pass the ball, but will give you 1-2 three pointers normally.
Meeks - Hot/cold streak shooter, when the going is good, it's good, but when it's bad, it's bad. Roll of the dice on any given night.

Hill - Not a guy you run plays for, he gets scraps off rebounds and hustle.
MWP - Has surprisingly been our most consistent player outside of Kobe. On most nights, he should be getting to shoot more.

Nash - Coming back from injury, but has been a consistent shooter throughout his whole career.

Jamison - Any contribution right now he would give scoring is negated by the DNP-CD's.

On paper we should be rolling people, but in reality we have a majority of our roster underperforming/inconsistent/struggling/not playing

The only consistent play we have gotten all year is from Kobe/MWP. Aside from those two, everyone else hasn't been that impressive scoring the ball offensively.

This. I don't wanna say Howard's been a "bust", but so far I'm so not excited watching him play. It really feels like ugly basketball on offense, no fundamentals, turning it over, bricking FTs... I thought his dominance on D would overshadow that, but honestly he hasn't been that dominant.. His teammates don't help at all, but he himself has been pretty inconsistent on that end as well.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby jbiggs on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:10 am

so what did kobe do wrong this game?
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby The Rock on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:10 am

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Laker Link on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:11 am

Dear NBA,

For once, FOR ONCE, please look at the player as the player. You screwed him out of that year they almost beat D'Antoni and Nash in the first round as the 7th seed. Give him a chance for MVP.
The Laker Link

Postby Finwë on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:13 am

Ariza3 wrote:only mistake i thought was he should have gone for a quick 2 when we were down by 4 at the end instead of that 3. prob a better basketball move but he went for the shot.

Do you mean the one that kinda went in-and-out? He got the ball with like 4 seconds on the clock, and he was like 6 feet behind the line with Barnes in front of him.. Not much else to do..

I wish we'd ran something on offense. Did D'Antoni even call a timeout? I don't remember, but I thought we didn't seem to have a go-to play down the stretch. Nash got it, run a little P&R with Pau that of course led nowhere (Pau isn't really an option late in the game right now), Nash gave it to Kobe, double team, back to Nash, look around, back to Kobe with 4 seconds left, 3pt shot, in-and-out.. Terrible possession, almost bailed out by Kobe.
Still, RUN A PLAY, isn't that what D'Antoni's good at? Offense? Drawing up plays?
Finwë

Postby King of Clutch on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:15 am

The Laker Link wrote:Dear NBA,

For once, FOR ONCE, please look at the player as the player. You screwed him out of that year they almost beat D'Antoni and Nash in the first round as the 7th seed. Give him a chance for MVP.

he has no chance with the record we have. Its extremely sad, but its also very fair.
King of Clutch

Postby borri on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:15 am

It pains me that Kobe is so underappreciated by the media. But it kills me that he is under-appreciated by Laker fans here on CL.

This thread for the past week has been an abomination for CL.
borri

Postby Finwë on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:18 am

When the guy with 17 seasons and 50k+ minutes played has to score the majority of the team's points AND guard the opposing team's best player, you have a problem.
Finwë

Postby Finwë on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:20 am

borri wrote:It pains me that Kobe is so underappreciated by the media. But it kills me that he is under-appreciated by Laker fans here on CL.

This thread for the past week has been an abomination for CL.

I agree, though you should've seen it last season. People were calling him "Kebo", saying he wasn't a top 20 player in the league (OK, that was just one poster, "lakerstv09" or someting like that), repeatedly calling him "garbage" or "atrocious"...
Finwë

Postby jbiggs on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:22 am

i cant believe how good this guy is. like many i too am so grateful to watch him live. i really need to soak in every moment while its still here. i cant see there ever being another like him. i really cant
KOBE FOR LIFE
jbiggs
ClubCavs.com Administrator

Location: Born in South Torrance (So Cal) and currently in Point Loma

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:27 am

You people are still not looking at the big picture. Yes, Kobe was incredible tonight on both ends. Without him, we lose by 20. But right now, Kobe is simply not looking to get others involved. Ok, once in a while, like his good pass to Nash. But my point is, what happens when he stops making his high degree of difficulty shots? What do we fall back on? What is our identity? So far, we don't have one. It just looks like Kobe has a single minded approach that he's going to score at all costs. And basketball just doesn't work that way. You don't win championships that way. You can be a good team but a great team will beat any individual talent. Maybe i'm being too harsh but that's the vibe i get from Kobe. Score first, get others involved second. Now bash away.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby revgen on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:35 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:You people are still not looking at the big picture. Yes, Kobe was incredible tonight on both ends. Without him, we lose by 20. But right now, Kobe is simply not looking to get others involved. Ok, once in a while, like his good pass to Nash. But my point is, what happens when he stops making his high degree of difficulty shots? What do we fall back on? What is our identity? So far, we don't have one. It just looks like Kobe has a single minded approach that he's going to score at all costs. And basketball just doesn't work that way. You don't win championships that way. You can be a good team but a great team will beat any individual talent. Maybe i'm being too harsh but that's the vibe i get from Kobe. Score first, get others involved second. Now bash away.

1) That's not Kobe's job. That's Nash and Pau's job.

Kobe is no longer playing the MJ/Pippen role anymore. He doesn't facilitate or distribute.

If you don't like Kobe shooting so much, then you should be blaming them. Not Kobe.

2) What is our identity? Currently it's all-offense and no-defense.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:37 am

He was great tonight. He's had one heck of a season, obviously. We needed another scorer tonight, though...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby borri on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:37 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:You people are still not looking at the big picture. Yes, Kobe was incredible tonight on both ends. Without him, we lose by 20. But right now, Kobe is simply not looking to get others involved. Ok, once in a while, like his good pass to Nash. But my point is, what happens when he stops making his high degree of difficulty shots? What do we fall back on? What is our identity? So far, we don't have one. It just looks like Kobe has a single minded approach that he's going to score at all costs. And basketball just doesn't work that way. You don't win championships that way. You can be a good team but a great team will beat any individual talent. Maybe i'm being too harsh but that's the vibe i get from Kobe. Score first, get others involved second. Now bash away.

Did you even watch the damn game? If you are, what are you looking at? Kobe took THREE shots in the first quarter. THREE. Sat out 4 minutes of the second. He shot us back in the game to get us back to 10.

Makes 2-3 to start the 3rd. Stops shooting for 4 possessions. Our guys miss, CLIPS got from 3 up to 12 up.

I give up trying to explain things to these people. Their bias against Kobe has completely blinded them to any reason of logic.

Seriously dude, if you'd watch the game you wouldn't be making this ABSURD statement. Wow. Just. Wow.
borri

Postby Chillbongo on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:38 am

Kobe was phenomenal tonight.

Stats notwithstanding, it's puzzling to me that the media overlooks him as the best player in the game.

:bow:
Chillbongo

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:38 am

revgen wrote:

That's not Kobe's job. That's Nash and Pau's job.

Kobe is no longer playing the MJ/Pippen role anymore. He doesn't facilitate or distribute.

If you don't like Kobe shooting so much, then you should be blaming them. Not Kobe.

Lol. Kobe doesn't give his teammates a chance to shoot because he dominates the ball. That's my point. I don't have a problem with him taking 30 shots if it's within the flow of the offense but there are just too many possessions where he's so single minded and doesn't even look to pass and in the long run, that simply doesn't work.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:39 am

If the problem is not getting others involved, the Steve Nash thread is that way ----------->

He is you know the POINT GUARD
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby King of Clutch on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:39 am

Umm, excuse me, but I think kobe has won 5 CHAMPIONSHIPS THAT WAY!!! But don't present false information. Kobe is averaging 4.8 assists per game, which has naturally gone down with the return of nash, who's also averaging 9.7 assists since he's gotten back. But i'm just realizing, why am I even responding to you? You are clearly an idiot with no basketball knowledge. Bashing after this game proves that kobe haters will hate on kobe no matter WHAT he does. As long as we lose, its kobe's fault because he scored too much.
Last edited by King of Clutch on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
King of Clutch

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:42 am

He's had this love/hate relationship with Lakers fans since he joined the team, I'm used to it now. I''ve found myself defending him a lot more past years. Now when he plays bad I'm like everyone else, but sometimes I think it's monkey see monkey do with the Kobe nit picking. The media has been a splinter, if I would have just discovered Kobe like around 2008 I wouldn't have known how great he was in the past because of how the media downplays him and what he's done for the game of basketball. He's been made the anti-Jordan, he'll never touch MJ, anti-everyone else and then turn around and see old school players saying how other players are better than Jordan and Jordan wasn't the king of ball. It's kind of like a slap in the face but..oh well.

My gripe is that I never got to see the Lakers in general live, I was pissed as a younger kid watching Shaq era and never getting to see that live, now I realize I'll never see Kobe live either. :man5:
Jazzygirl205

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion