Kobe Bryant Discussion:#3 All Time!

Re: Kobe Discussion: invited LeBron to block party

Postby 7cody on Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:40 pm

The Rock wrote:Kobe never got truly appreciated, he wanted to chase Jordan and people always compared him against that rhetoric but never truly recognized him for the great player he was. I think he'll always be known as the guy that fell short on trying to take Mike's throne

I'd love to fall short of MJ by being more skilled, but one championship less, a few FMVPs less, a DPOY less, and a little less efficient statistically (damn, I didn't think this one through before I typed it - MJ was GOOD!!)
7cody

Postby havoc33 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:23 pm

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:All you're doing is laughing at my argument without presenting anything for yourself. Your disturbing, repetitive use of the word "rape" aside, I pointed out that if defenders were allowed to play this way all the time he'd be a lot easier to defend. That doesn't mean he's going to get shut down. Hell, Kobe could only do it for so long and it made his offense suffer.

But if LeBron was put up against Pippen and Jordan, I think he'd have a hell of a time getting to the basket. I never said he'd be shut down or anything even close to that. I said he'd have a tougher time and I don't see how that's even remotely debatable.

2 blocks in an ALL-STAR game doesn't indicate that, thats just my opinion, he's unguardable regardless of the era, maybe with handchecking and more leway for physical play like the 90's and he would be less "efficient" than the godly stats he put the last 6 games or so would dictate. Pippen for all this D rep is quite overrated, he didn't do much of anything in Hou/Por. He was assigned Kobeduring his Por days and he didn't give Kobe much trouble and if we gona say Kobe is as close to Mj then James is as close to Kobe as you can get. I'm not here to debate who's the best or whatevers here but I find the comments in relation to James game highly suspect with 2blocks in a meaningless game. I can't imagine it took this long and only MJ of all people to figure out what James does going left/right but let see defenders use it now that its supposedly "effective" since Kobe was able to get those two blocks on him based on that theory.

Pippen's D quite overrated? He's only the best defensive SF of all time. If you had ANY idea of what you were talking about, then you would know that Pippen by that time was breaking down physically and he was no longer the same player he was during his Bulls years. That STILL didn't stop him from having a great playoffs in 2000, and he more than held his own against Kobe that year (Kobe was wildly inconsistent that series, having one of his worst playoff games ever in game 5). As a matter of fact, Pippen put up solid series against the Lakers again in '01 and '02, so it's not like Kobe really went off against him and took him out of his game. They both had games where they had the advantage, but keep in mind that Pippen was already on the decline by this time. A prime Pippen (91-98) could give any offensive player headaches, and that's including Lebron. I still have fond memories of watching Pippen playing lockdown defense on Barkley during the 94 season.. amazing stuff.

But yeah, watching the game yesterday was pretty sweet. In this nightmare of a season, I'll take any bright spots I can find, and watching Kobe actually shut down Lebron was awesome. For those of you who say Lebron wasn't trying, get real. Lebron ALWAYS goes for it, and in the past few years it's been pretty intense down the stretch between him and Kobe. Big shout out to Kobe for finding a way to put his stamp on the game, even when he wasn't much involved offensively. The guy is a walking legend, and we all better enjoy every minute he has left on the court. Best Laker to ever suit it up in my book, and I'm proud to say I was there for every minute of it.
havoc33

Postby showtime mamba on Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:53 pm

Kobe added a few more higlights this weekend. Look at the last minute of the game and see Lebron back off getting the ball. Kobe puts on the pressure and LBJ abdicated. Even last year's ASG watch how shaken Lebron was after Kobe got the dunk. He throws the ball in and Paul steals it setting up Kobe for the three.

Kobe played a good game and yesterday but a gritty and stellar final few minutes of the fourth quarter. He did not deserve MVP, that was Chris Paul (an effortless pg performance and some clutch 3's). He did not try and get MVP, that was Kevin Durant sprinting up the court and bombing threes ( I was stunned when I saw him pass). Look how many times Kobe hung out around the arc and was happy to be passive in the game and let others score.

This has been an agonizing season and yesterday Kobe won a battle while he has definitely been losing the war with the Lakers. Let''s appreciate him while he is here, and please don't say Lebron wasn't trying. A final question. Other than a couple of dimes did Kobe interact with Howard at all? Kobe needs to keep trying because I don't think Howard has the maturity to meet him half way.
showtime mamba

Postby kobebryant248 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:11 pm

showtime mamba wrote:Kobe added a few more higlights this weekend. Look at the last minute of the game and see Lebron back off getting the ball. Kobe puts on the pressure and LBJ abdicated. Even last year's ASG watch how shaken Lebron was after Kobe got the dunk. He throws the ball in and Paul steals it setting up Kobe for the three.

Kobe played a good game and yesterday but a gritty and stellar final few minutes of the fourth quarter. He did not deserve MVP, that was Chris Paul (an effortless pg performance and some clutch 3's). He did not try and get MVP, that was Kevin Durant sprinting up the court and bombing threes ( I was stunned when I saw him pass). Look how many times Kobe hung out around the arc and was happy to be passive in the game and let others score.

This has been an agonizing season and yesterday Kobe won a battle while he has definitely been losing the war with the Lakers. Let''s appreciate him while he is here, and please don't say Lebron wasn't trying. A final question. Other than a couple of dimes did Kobe interact with Howard at all? Kobe needs to keep trying because I don't think Howard has the maturity to meet him half way.

no attack but first it was the 2011 all star game where he dunked vs lebron and 2nd not so fast . lakers are still in the playoff hunt giving up on them now is just not right . so to say kobe and the lakers lost the playoff war is just not right. again there are plenty of games and if they can win the next 3 games they are already back in the hunt. so don t give up on them so fast . there is still hope . so let s go kobe and take your team to the playoffs :jam2:
kobebryant248

Postby TheOp on Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:17 pm

If we somehow met Miami in the Finals I wonder if Kobe would take the challenge of guarding LBJ the entire series. It would take a toll on him, would probably be the biggest challenge hes ever faced in a series. I doubt hed have much energy for the offensive end, hed probably put up like 19-20 ppg. But if we did somehow see that matchup then our only chance of winning would be Kobe shutting down LBJ, and Nash taking over the offense.
TheOp

Postby showtime mamba on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:31 pm

kobebryant248 wrote:
showtime mamba wrote:Kobe added a few more higlights this weekend. Look at the last minute of the game and see Lebron back off getting the ball. Kobe puts on the pressure and LBJ abdicated. Even last year's ASG watch how shaken Lebron was after Kobe got the dunk. He throws the ball in and Paul steals it setting up Kobe for the three.

no attack but first it was the 2011 all star game where he dunked vs lebron and 2nd not so fast . lakers are still in the playoff hunt giving up on them now is just not right . so to say kobe and the lakers lost the playoff war is just not right. again there are plenty of games and if they can win the next 3 games they are already back in the hunt. so don t give up on them so fast . there is still hope . so let s go kobe and take your team to the playoffs :jam2:

My bad, I could have sworn it was last year, I forgot about last year's ASG.

I said the Lakers are losing the war. We are under .500 right now (not winning). We have not lost. I think we have a strong chance to make the playoffs and no way am I giving up. I added the last paragraph as to put into context that an ASG is icing on a cake but the season is the most important thing. I will not give up on the season until we are mathematically eliminated, and will not give up on the Lakers as they are the team I support. Go Lakers. :jam2: :jam2:
showtime mamba

Postby Forward Three on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:04 pm

I think Reggie said it best that this was, for Kobe, one of the last opportunities he'll realistically get to do something like this. The league belongs to Lebron now, that's not really in question, but to throw Kobe under the bus or act like he isn't in the short list of greatest to ever play the game or to act as if he can't still take the 'best of the best' to school is disrespectful and ignorant and Kobe wanted/needed to show us that one more time and the ASG is the perfect opportunity to do so, because as much as you can say it's all exhibition, it is and it isn't, players still like to match up and go at each other specifically in a way that they aren't typically afforded to do in the regular season and the best competitors tend to always want to show their stuff.

Westbrook and CP3, for instance, were relishing in the opportunity to strut their stuff and assert dominance. It's not all clowning around.

So that was satisfying to see. Kobe never backs down from a challenge and there are very few players who directly take it to task to go at the 'best' players as consistently as Kobe does. While back I made a thread about all of the MVPs that Kobe has dunked on, He's basically dunked on every former MVP of the past 14 or so years(with a few exceptions). I don't think the same can be said of any other player honestly. Which, at the end of the day, I think that will be something people remember about him long after the dust settles.
Forward Three

Postby JGC on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:54 pm

The Rock wrote:Kobe never got truly appreciated, he wanted to chase Jordan and people always compared him against that rhetoric but never truly recognized him for the great player he was. I think he'll always be known as the guy that fell short on trying to take Mike's throne

Well, no one is going to touch Jordan. I mean, it's almost unfair. There are a lot of arguments that can be fairly made that on the court, Kobe is right up there with him. But there are plenty of arguments that can be made that what Jordan did on the court makes him the clear cut best.

The problem, and why so many people think Kobe isn't appreciated, is because every other player has to compete with the legacy and the brand that Jordan left behind. And nobody can even come close to touching it. Jordan is an icon (literally) whose imprint on the game went beyond just what he did on the court. His brand, as he turns 50, is still alive. Honestly, who can top that?

He's the Beatles of basketball. And topping the Beatles means you have to do more than just sell the most records. You really need 4 things to top Jordan IMO:

1) On-Court Success. You need to put up numbers, win multiple championships, be the undisputed best player during the entire time that you played.

2) Brand Building. You have to be unanimously associated with winning and victories. You have to have those 'moments'. You embody success.

3) Revolutionize the Industry. You have to change the game. Change the way people look at the game. Change the way teams play against you. Your departure has to feel like a black hole for fans and non-fans alike.

4) Luck and Great Fortune. Timing is key. Jordan came in at a time when the sport needed someone. In a way, Kobe had good timing in the sense that he started to come on, as Jordan left the game. But Kobe also had obstacles in his way. He had Shaq and now Lebron. So there's a bit of a luck factor there as well.
JGC

Postby JGC on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Jazzygirl205 wrote:
JGC wrote:
Jazzygirl205 wrote:I have to do a study to see if any superstar player of their franchise was shaded and backhanded as much as Kobe was throughout his career as a Laker, despite the contributions? The effort to hide it these days is sad.

That would probably be a pointless study honestly.

Kobe is probably been the most lauded and appreciated player of all time in terms of pure volume. He's also been the most hated in terms of pure volume.

You can thank the damn interwebs for that!

Not really, I just want to do it to try and prove myself right not to affirm anyone else. Most lauded and appreciate of all time? Like you told me "Stop making stuff up" :man10: I don't understand why people continue comment on things/people they are not partial to, I think it's a waste of time.

Yes. In totality, Kobe is probably the most lauded and appreciated of all time. I will say, he's probably the most hated as well.

Kobe has had the great fortune of playing in the digital age which has given millions of people access and exposure to Kobe that was never possible in Jordan's years (and prior to that). You see more Bryant jerseys when the Lakers are on the road than anyone else. He sold the most jerseys internationally last year. No one else before Kobe had blogs and forums and a flurry of news sites, articles, write ups, opinion columns, etc.

Playing in the digital age means that he has been (and is) in the 'conversation' so to speak more than any other basketball player before him. And you just don't sell more jerseys internationally than any other human being on the planet when you're not also the most appreciated.
JGC

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Forward Three wrote:I think Reggie said it best that this was, for Kobe, one of the last opportunities he'll realistically get to do something like this. The league belongs to Lebron now, that's not really in question, but to throw Kobe under the bus or act like he isn't in the short list of greatest to ever play the game or to act as if he can't still take the 'best of the best' to school is disrespectful and ignorant and Kobe wanted/needed to show us that one more time and the ASG is the perfect opportunity to do so, because as much as you can say it's all exhibition, it is and it isn't, players still like to match up and go at each other specifically in a way that they aren't typically afforded to do in the regular season and the best competitors tend to always want to show their stuff.

Westbrook and CP3, for instance, were relishing in the opportunity to strut their stuff and assert dominance. It's not all clowning around.

So that was satisfying to see. Kobe never backs down from a challenge and there are very few players who directly take it to task to go at the 'best' players as consistently as Kobe does. While back I made a thread about all of the MVPs that Kobe has dunked on, He's basically dunked on every former MVP of the past 14 or so years(with a few exceptions). I don't think the same can be said of any other player honestly. Which, at the end of the day, I think that will be something people remember about him long after the dust settles.

:bow:
Jazzygirl205

Postby halekulani on Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:53 pm

MC wrote:Not sure how old you are but if you watched basketball in the 80s and early 90s you would realize the rules have changed quite a bit as far as how physical a player can be out in the perimeter. These rules are tailored made for LBJ to do what he does with that size and athleticism, in the 80s he wouldn't get free space to gain momentum and just explode to the hoop like he does today which he still needs to use that frame and speed...... not saying he wouldn't be a very, very good player but he can't even dominate like Jordan did in a league that doesn't allow you to breath on a guy out in the perimeter or with any real centers...what makes you think he would fair that much better in those days where 2 way Centers existed and guys could actually take away a guys space out on the perimeter without the refs intervening. Jordan would be crazy scary playing with today's rules out on the perimeter where guys can't hand check or place that forearm on the inside riding the hip (like Bryant was doing at times last night in those final moments).

lol please dude
80s averaged 110ppg
AMAZING DEFENSE GUYS
SO AMAZING THERES 20 MORE POSSESSIONS PER GAME

what kind of backwards basketball philosophy decides to shoot at a faster pace when facing a tougher defense?

every single great defensive team played at a pace that was SLOWER than the league average. period.
halekulani

Postby Forward Three on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:29 pm

JGC wrote:4) Luck and Great Fortune. Timing is key. Jordan came in at a time when the sport needed someone. In a way, Kobe had good timing in the sense that he started to come on, as Jordan left the game. But Kobe also had obstacles in his way. He had Shaq and now Lebron. So there's a bit of a luck factor there as well.

I would actually argue that this was a contributing factor to a lot of the hate Kobe gets as well. Just as Jordan was finishing up being the GOAT, along comes this KID who not only has the gall and gumption to even approach the idea that he could ever be 'as good' or 'better', but that very quickly through his play starts to demonstrate that he actually can approach and surpass that level(if not overall, then surely in pieces). It certainly didn't help that they are physically almost identical(Once Kobe bulked up at least)

So while it was advantageous for Kobe to not have to be vying against a Jordan-Caliber player at the same time and Kobe was able to 'own' the league for at least a few years(and ultimately has gone down as the de facto player of the '00-'10 decade*) I think in terms of "Kobe Hate" a good deal of that sprang up from having a player like Kobe arrived on the scene so shortly after Jordan was winding down.

I mean, part of why we hate on Lebron is because he showed up and started being incredible right in the middle of Kobe's best years, and in a similar way has been as transcendent and even surpassing what Kobe could do(if not overall then certainly in pieces). But ultimately, that is just kind of the way it goes I guess, just as surely as Lebron 'owns' the league today, Kevin Durant is starting to look increasingly unstoppable and showing himself to be one of the best scorers we've seen in a long time. I'd bet anything that in 4 or 5 years, when Lebron is winding down a bit, when KD is at his peak, there will be another young player who defies all of our expectations and plays in a transcendent way.
Forward Three

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:24 am

I don't think Kobe fans hate LeBron, ask any Kobe fan about LeBron, not the immature one's but ask them do they love watching LeBron play and they'll say yes. I used to frequent other forums and some of them said they saw LeBron play in person and they enjoyed it as Kobe fans, took their kids and all. Some people like myself just love basketball. If you love basketball you'll know how to separate the person from the player, unfortunately people never did that with Kobe. MJ was not the person the media made him out to be he was just as tough, rough and about himself as anyone else. But all it takes is the media to build a image and attach it to something, and you got your "villain". That's what they did to Kobe. It's not LeBron's fault it's the older Micheal Jordan fans, the old school basketball people.

When Kobe showed signs of possibly catching or potentially passing MJ as a player they hated it. So they built a "monster" in the media. The media didn't build a monster with LeBron in respect of Kobe, they embraced a new king, because Kobe was never and will never be respected like Micheal. They hated and still hate him with a passion. Kobe was no more flashy or arrogant as any of the players today. They pop their collars, and they dunk and flex towards the camera and even have their nicknames on their clothing and shirts, players like Russell Westbrook and others and people love it. It was never that, they hated the fact that Kobe was not intimidated playing MJ. Like I mentioned they saw it as a form of disrespect, back then people were still loyal to MJ,he was still playing and there was nothing any other player could say or do until he announced retirement. Kobe being so confident turned people off. They wanted him to submit a little, you know back up and give the GOAT his due respect, by not being so confident, but he didn't. So the media made sure to keep this black cloud over Kobe his entire career, that black cloud was met with constant "on purpose" nit picking, his approach and anything else Kobe related. Combine that with the "He'll never be MJ" comment after every Kobe discussion it put a hamper on his career. I've stumbled on people that didn't even know the most points Kobe scored in a game, but they can tell you about the Colorado incident, the Shaq and Kobe fued through and through.

He has 1 MVP that causes for people to be bitter as we place regular season MVPs on a pedestal. Any other player with his career resume would have multiple MVP's. Steve has two. Shaq and Kobe couldn't win MVP's because they canceled one another out, then you press the forward button and LeBron playing along side two players who are All Stars, were the number 1 options on their teams and can also get you 30+ points a game when LBJ doesn't have to. It makes them bitter. LeBron coming into the NBA when Kobe was still at the peak of his career didn't matter. Kobe didn't have the same respect MJ had, so another player rivaling his career wasn't a threat and was welcomed with open arms. LeBron is being created and protected the same, people are even writing off Micheal Jordan, who for a decade or so "was untouchable" without even playing. You couldn't mention anyone along side his name without being bashed, now his comments and what he days are obsolete, people even so much as hate him a little now in defense of LeBron. Kobe never got that, so his fans are bitter. Fans and the media gave LeBron his nickname, Kobe named himself. When KD becomes the "man" in the NBA I don't think people will just ignore LeBron in praise of his coming out party, like they did Kobe. LeBron came into the NBA while Kobe was/is still playing. Reason why Kobe has my respect is because he didn't have it handed to him on a platter he had to work for it, and still does.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:26 am

I didn't expect it to be that long :man10: Oh well I'm done, on with the regular season and push into the playoffs :jam2:
Jazzygirl205

Postby JGC on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:58 am

Forward Three wrote:
JGC wrote:4) Luck and Great Fortune. Timing is key. Jordan came in at a time when the sport needed someone. In a way, Kobe had good timing in the sense that he started to come on, as Jordan left the game. But Kobe also had obstacles in his way. He had Shaq and now Lebron. So there's a bit of a luck factor there as well.

I would actually argue that this was a contributing factor to a lot of the hate Kobe gets as well. Just as Jordan was finishing up being the GOAT, along comes this KID who not only has the gall and gumption to even approach the idea that he could ever be 'as good' or 'better', but that very quickly through his play starts to demonstrate that he actually can approach and surpass that level(if not overall, then surely in pieces). It certainly didn't help that they are physically almost identical(Once Kobe bulked up at least)

So while it was advantageous for Kobe to not have to be vying against a Jordan-Caliber player at the same time and Kobe was able to 'own' the league for at least a few years(and ultimately has gone down as the de facto player of the '00-'10 decade*) I think in terms of "Kobe Hate" a good deal of that sprang up from having a player like Kobe arrived on the scene so shortly after Jordan was winding down.

I mean, part of why we hate on Lebron is because he showed up and started being incredible right in the middle of Kobe's best years, and in a similar way has been as transcendent and even surpassing what Kobe could do(if not overall then certainly in pieces). But ultimately, that is just kind of the way it goes I guess, just as surely as Lebron 'owns' the league today, Kevin Durant is starting to look increasingly unstoppable and showing himself to be one of the best scorers we've seen in a long time. I'd bet anything that in 4 or 5 years, when Lebron is winding down a bit, when KD is at his peak, there will be another young player who defies all of our expectations and plays in a transcendent way.

Well, in the 4 areas that I mentioned (all of which are prerequisites IMO for GOAT consideration), I'll explain where I believe Kobe fell short at least in terms of being at MJs level. I want to preface my explanations by saying Kobe is still way up there IMO, and definitely #2 at the SG position, so I'm only stating why I believe Kobe cannot supplant MJ as the widely regarded GOAT.

1) On-Court Success. Of the 4, this is where Kobe shines most IMO. Kobe is considered the more complete offensive player to Jordan, and even those who played with MJ have gone on record with that sentiment. He's got the rings and scoring titles. Jordan edged Kobe on defense, with his DPOY but for most of Kobe's career, he was no slouch either. I don't necessarily agree that Kobe owned the league in 00-10 though and here's why. For the first few years of that decade, he played along side Shaq who really was the dominating force in the league at the time. Kobe was A dominating force, but not even THE dominating force on his own team at the time. Kobe went nuts after the Shaq era, but then we weren't even a winning team. When Kobe finally had some help, that's when he owned the league IMO and turned that ownage into the epitome of on-court success (rings). The other area here too is a lot of people are saying LBJ would not have thrived or done as well in the 80s/90s, so if that's the case, then Kobe wouldn't have either.

2) Brand Building. Well, Kobe probably won't ever be a very good businessman, and he was never really able to establish a true brand identity. He was a winner, yes, but so were and have been many players. Brand building is about establishing a unique and clear identity that people want to align with. Granted, it may not have ever happened simply because Kobe didn't care about it and not because he couldn't. He also had some off-court incidents which hurt the ability to build up his brand. Kobe sold a ton of jerseys with his play, not necessarily with his brand and not having brand identity means you're not as big a part of the conversation.

3) Revolutionize the Industry. I think Shaq really was the one changing the game. They created new rules to slow him down. They have strategies named after him 'Hack-a-Shaq'. Teams definitely (and obviously) had to game plan for Kobe but they have to game plan for a lot of players also. I am not convinced he forever changed the sport in his time.

4) Luck. Kobe hasn't had bad luck, but he hasn't been especially lucky either. His best season statistically, was one of his worst seasons wins wise. He had Shaq to contend with and in recent years, Lebron. He's had the fortune of playing with and against two once-in-a-generation type players in those guys, but you can also view it as a misfortune since it made it harder for him to stand alone at the top. It's rather unfortunate that in his prime, he just didn't have a team strong enough to contend. Just bad timing. You can't hold that against Kobe because he doesn't manage the team, but you can't ignore it either. The timing was good and bad for Kobe. Good because he was able to come in at a time when Shaq was in his prime and win championships. Bad because he came in at a time when, well, Shaq was in his prime. And like I said before, now he has to contend with LBJ in his prime.
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:04 am

Jazzygirl205 wrote:I don't think Kobe fans hate LeBron, ask any Kobe fan about LeBron, not the immature one's but ask them do they love watching LeBron play and they'll say yes. I used to frequent other forums and some of them said they saw LeBron play in person and they enjoyed it as Kobe fans, took their kids and all. Some people like myself just love basketball. If you love basketball you'll know how to separate the person from the player, unfortunately people never did that with Kobe. MJ was not the person the media made him out to be he was just as tough, rough and about himself as anyone else. But all it takes is the media to build a image and attach it to something, and you got your "villain". That's what they did to Kobe. It's not LeBron's fault it's the older Micheal Jordan fans, the old school basketball people.

When Kobe showed signs of possibly catching or potentially passing MJ as a player they hated it. So they built a "monster" in the media. The media didn't build a monster with LeBron in respect of Kobe, they embraced a new king, because Kobe was never and will never be respected like Micheal. They hated and still hate him with a passion. Kobe was no more flashy or arrogant as any of the players today. They pop their collars, and they dunk and flex towards the camera and even have their nicknames on their clothing and shirts, players like Russell Westbrook and others and people love it. It was never that, they hated the fact that Kobe was not intimidated playing MJ. Like I mentioned they saw it as a form of disrespect, back then people were still loyal to MJ,he was still playing and there was nothing any other player could say or do until he announced retirement. Kobe being so confident turned people off. They wanted him to submit a little, you know back up and give the GOAT his due respect, by not being so confident, but he didn't. So the media made sure to keep this black cloud over Kobe his entire career, that black cloud was met with constant "on purpose" nit picking, his approach and anything else Kobe related. Combine that with the "He'll never be MJ" comment after every Kobe discussion it put a hamper on his career. I've stumbled on people that didn't even know the most points Kobe scored in a game, but they can tell you about the Colorado incident, the Shaq and Kobe fued through and through.

He has 1 MVP that causes for people to be bitter as we place regular season MVPs on a pedestal. Any other player with his career resume would have multiple MVP's. Steve has two. Shaq and Kobe couldn't win MVP's because they canceled one another out, then you press the forward button and LeBron playing along side two players who are All Stars, were the number 1 options on their teams and can also get you 30+ points a game when LBJ doesn't have to. It makes them bitter. LeBron coming into the NBA when Kobe was still at the peak of his career didn't matter. Kobe didn't have the same respect MJ had, so another player rivaling his career wasn't a threat and was welcomed with open arms. LeBron is being created and protected the same, people are even writing off Micheal Jordan, who for a decade or so "was untouchable" without even playing. You couldn't mention anyone along side his name without being bashed, now his comments and what he days are obsolete, people even so much as hate him a little now in defense of LeBron. Kobe never got that, so his fans are bitter. Fans and the media gave LeBron his nickname, Kobe named himself. When KD becomes the "man" in the NBA I don't think people will just ignore LeBron in praise of his coming out party, like they did Kobe. LeBron came into the NBA while Kobe was/is still playing. Reason why Kobe has my respect is because he didn't have it handed to him on a platter he had to work for it, and still does.

Well said!
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kobe_008 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:49 am

in not sure what happened to this threads a lot of kobe haters i guess.
LBJ totally tried to rally his team and kobe shut him down.
watch the film replay and it replay it again.
watch the demeanor and watch the pouting.watch it again then again watch it.
see he is asking a ref for a foul which was a clear block.oh he is just playing eg.
watch it again he drives hard throws an elbow gets a foul?

did we watch a different allstar game? i guess not.
we are happy a 34yr old ballhog can do an honest defense on a 28 prime super athletic same move guy.
watch the regular seadon and see the touch fouls this dumbs superstar gets this era.
then try to see Starks guard Jordan then ull see the difference.

its amazing we try to discredit the last 4mins or so of the allstar games and we call ourselves laker fans.
maybe faker fans.

im sick and tired of people going to this thread all complaining.complain about how much kobe shoots.how he is not communicating with D12 now overpassing.
what the hell u didn't even win a single nba game by yourself.not even score a single point.so just watch and keep ur pie holes shut.

its disgusting u call urselves LA fans
kobe_008

Postby kobe_008 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:02 am

JGC wrote:
Jazzygirl205 wrote:
JGC wrote:
Jazzygirl205 wrote:I have to do a study to see if any superstar player of their franchise was shaded and backhanded as much as Kobe was throughout his career as a Laker, despite the contributions? The effort to hide it these days is sad.

That would probably be a pointless study honestly.

Kobe is probably been the most lauded and appreciated player of all time in terms of pure volume. He's also been the most hated in terms of pure volume.

You can thank the damn interwebs for that!

Not really, I just want to do it to try and prove myself right not to affirm anyone else. Most lauded and appreciate of all time? Like you told me "Stop making stuff up" :man10: I don't understand why people continue comment on things/people they are not partial to, I think it's a waste of time.

Yes. In totality, Kobe is probably the most lauded and appreciated of all time. I will say, he's probably the most hated as well.

Kobe has had the great fortune of playing in the digital age which has given millions of people access and exposure to Kobe that was never possible in Jordan's years (and prior to that). You see more Bryant jerseys when the Lakers are on the road than anyone else. He sold the most jerseys internationally last year. No one else before Kobe had blogs and forums and a flurry of news sites, articles, write ups, opinion columns, etc.

Playing in the digital age means that he has been (and is) in the 'conversation' so to speak more than any other basketball player before him. And you just don't sell more jerseys internationally than any other human being on the planet when you're not also the most appreciated.

im not sure where u r getting those stuff of kobe being most appreciated star.
have you seen him during the rape trial.how About the shaq fued.the phil quotes.
how about the constant MJ comparison.
how about every year he is shrug under the bus as old?
dude if kobe is getting my respect our respect its because of those huges obstacles that you put infront of him that he keeps disappointing you every damn time.
kobe_008

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:21 am

Jazzygirl has to be the poster of the month or something....very well said once again!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
FabFourLakers

Postby TIME on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:48 am

kobe_008 wrote:in not sure what happened to this threads a lot of kobe haters i guess.

so just watch and keep ur pie holes shut. its disgusting u call urselves LA fans

You probably have never read this post describing one of the site rules. Why don't you read it and make the necessary adjustment in your own posts when you get frustrated by someone here having a different viewpoint on Kobe than you do.

site-rules/rules-for-referring-fan-groups-opposing-view-points-t83987.html
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:31 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:Jazzygirl has to be the poster of the month or something....very well said once again!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

What do you find to be so amazing about that post exactly? Or, are you being facetious here?

I mean, it isn't even factually correct (Kobe did not score the most points in an NBA game for instance) and the multiple run-ons make it feel like a bit of a ramble.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad post by any stretch, but I don't understand why a post that isn't even 100% factually accurate would be an accomplishment for her. I'm not sure if you're serious, but if you are, I don't see why you think the standard for Jazzygirl is so low.

I've seen better posts from her this month, let alone other posters. Cmon guys.
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:32 pm

:man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:35 pm

Talk about taking this too serious; my gosh...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:20 pm

JGC wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:Jazzygirl has to be the poster of the month or something....very well said once again!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

What do you find to be so amazing about that post exactly? Or, are you being facetious here?

I mean, it isn't even factually correct (Kobe did not score the most points in an NBA game for instance) and the multiple run-ons make it feel like a bit of a ramble.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad post by any stretch, but I don't understand why a post that isn't even 100% factually accurate would be an accomplishment for her. I'm not sure if you're serious, but if you are, I don't see why you think the standard for Jazzygirl is so low.

I've seen better posts from her this month, let alone other posters. Cmon guys.

**sigh** You love trying to downplay someone else's opinions and posts when you don't agree with them but expect others to worship the backhanded Kobe biased posts you put on here. You tried though.

The difference between me and these other posters on here is that I don't sugar coat in fear of offending someone because I'm not here to make friends or get on people's good side. When or if I want to say it I say it doesn't matter who's feathers I ruffle yours included. I have nothing else to type to you, and don't bother typing back to me.

Goodbye.
Jazzygirl205

Postby JGC on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:33 pm

^ Ummm. Not sure if serious. They were acting like the post was beyond your normal capabilities and I was actually defending you. Relax!
JGC

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion