Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Kobe Discussion: invited LeBron to block party

Postby Juronimo on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:39 pm

* was about to type a post regarding the entertaining exhibition game on Sunday

* sees last 3 pages of the thread

* says f it and exits thread

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby checkers09 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:42 pm

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

“He’s meant everything to me in my career. From taking me as a 17-year-old kid coming out of high school to believing in me my whole career.” - Kobe Bryant on Jerry Buss’ impact

Yet as I watched him Monday, I could not help think how little it mattered and how right he is. He is not fading into the shadows. He does not know how to go out that way.[.]
checkers09

Postby JGC on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:44 pm

Juronimo wrote:* was about to type a post regarding the entertaining exhibition game on Sunday

Haha. Way too late to the party my friend. We're back to MJ vs Kobe already. It's Tuesday, ASG was so yesterday! =P
JGC

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:52 pm

checkers09 wrote:ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

“He’s meant everything to me in my career. From taking me as a 17-year-old kid coming out of high school to believing in me my whole career.” - Kobe Bryant on Jerry Buss’ impact

:jam2:
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Jazzygirl205 wrote:[The difference between me and these other posters on here is that I don't sugar coat in fear of offending someone because I'm not here to make friends or get on people's good side. When or if I want to say it I say it doesn't matter who's feathers I ruffle yours included.

While you shouldn't necessarily not care about ruffled feathers...

I seriously appreciate the fire and passion you're bringing to this site. I wish more posters brought it like you do. :bow:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby KJ MonK on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:16 pm

JGC wrote: Bad because he came in at a time when, well, Shaq was in his prime. And like I said before, now he has to contend with LBJ in his prime.

yeah and not to mention having to deal with AI, TMac, Carter, Wade and Nash getting attention in the years in between... he's never been undisputed best player maybe except in 2008 and 2009 when he returned to the mountaintop
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:20 pm

Juronimo wrote:* was about to type a post regarding the entertaining exhibition game on Sunday

Hey Juronimo, how fun was it seeing Kobe blocking LeBron twice in the final minutes of that All-Star game?

I thought it was mighty fun. It made me wish LeBron had gone up against our 3 peat team.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:24 pm

Horry/Fox/Kobe on LeBron....with Shaq waiting at the rim? :man4:
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:27 pm

My main thought was watching Kobe just go to town defensively while Shaq was able to help on drives and then dominate the game on the other end.

Another fun thought is Jordan/Pippen's Bulls vs. our 3 peat team. Probably more specifically 2001 or 2002. When Kobe was really starting to come into his own and Shaq was still about as dominant a force as has ever been seen.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:30 pm

therealdeal wrote:

Hey Juronimo, how fun was it seeing Kobe blocking LeBron twice in the final minutes of that All-Star game?

I thought it was mighty fun. It made me wish LeBron had gone up against our 3 peat team.

It was fun. You can tell Lebron was getting frustrated with Kobe hounding him defensively like that. It was fun to watch.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:33 pm

Juronimo wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

It was fun. You can tell Lebron was getting frustrated with Kobe hounding him defensively like that. It was fun to watch.

Chook has a great video if it where you can see LeBron is maybe not taking it too seriously for a while, then Kobe blocks him and you know it's on. :man10:

And Kobe STILL keeps him from making a bucket. It was definitely a fun time. In the end it doesn't mean much of anything, but a 34 year old man with a bazillion miles on his legs shutting down the best player in the game is still a fun thing to watch.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:56 pm

JGC wrote:^ Ummm. Not sure if serious. They were acting like the post was beyond your normal capabilities and I was actually defending you. Relax!

I think that literally no one who read your post would have thought that you were defending her.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Jellincon on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:05 am

What's funny about it is he completely misread what he was complaining about. :man10:

Jazzygirl205 wrote:I've stumbled on people that didn't even know the most points Kobe scored in a game, but they can tell you about the Colorado incident, the Shaq and Kobe fued through and through.
Jellincon

Postby SpencerHarrison on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:23 am

We're very lucky to be able to have these arguments. Kobe is a legendary talent and the Lakers have been blessed to have him for the whole ride. He is a much more maligned and mercurial "superstar" than what the NBA usually produces, but he's easily my favorite.

Enjoy it while you can.
SpencerHarrison

Postby Lakeshow24 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:23 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
6. I really think that those who say Lebron could thrive in the 80's never watched 80's ball. I am not trying to insult anyone but the fouls that LBJ gets today that he finishes on a regular basis aren't even "touch" fouls in the 80's. LBJ hasn't shown me that he can play when guys beat him up. Others might say he has shown but I haven't seen it. LBJ has the size, speed and athleticism to play in any era but so did Brian Bosworth when he went into the NFL. Yes, he got hit by Bo Jackson and "The Boz" wasn't a bad man no more. No one knows for sure if LBJ or any of the guys from this era could really deal with the rules of the 80's. In my opinion, I don't see it.

:bow:

I've been saying this over and over to people whenever we discuss basketball. Not saying LeBron isn't an amazing talent, because he certainly is. But he's still IMO, a manufactured star. There are times in today's game you cannot stop a player because everything you do is a touch foul. Want to know why LeBron never gets stopped? Because if Kobe plays that kind of defense on LeBron in a regular season game, 75% likely Kobe's block shot is a foul.

When the refs call those b.s. fouls in favor of LeBron, Wade, other guys, it makes them look more dominant than they truly are. They're just given gifts by the refs. The defense plays far less aggressive and as such LeBron is able to dribble wherever he wants to, and take any shot he wants to. No full court presses on him, no physical play. LeBron wouldn't be as dominant in the 80's as he is today.

Jordan was always far better than LeBron and always will be. All this 60% shooting hype from LeBron is because the refs give him everything he wants. Soft league in favor of LeBron.

It's much more difficult for a less talented player to thrive because Earl Clarks of the world won't get the same referee favoritism LeBron gets. In other words, the massive talent and production gap between the best of the best NBA players and an average player isn't as large in reality IMO as it seems when you look at the results you get in the statlines and the reason for that is the way the referees call the game in favor of some superstars especially LeBron James.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby therealdeal on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:55 am

KOBE BRYANT
Q: On the impact Dr. Buss had on him and if he finds it ironic the Lakers will be facing the team he most wanted to beat the most on Wednesday (Boston):
Bryant: Yeah, I do. To me, personally, he obviously believed in me since Day 1 being a 17-year-old kid to where I am now. His competitive spirit, his vision where this organization should be and how it should go beyond basketball with the global outreach that he had on his mind. We talked quite a bit about that and we talked about the old times. He’s obviously had a profound impact on me, to say the least.

Q: On Dr. Buss having an influence in him staying with the Lakers:
Bryant: Of course. I think in 2007 was really the big one. I had to make a choice and believing in him, which wasn’t very hard to do once I took a step back and see everything that he accomplished. I had a chance to sit down with him and we talked about what his vision was and his vision for rebuilding this team and rebuilding this team quickly. It was easy for me because I was a Lakers fan growing up, so I saw how many championships he’d been able to win and see how many times he was able to rebuild. It was a pretty easy call for me.

Q: On his talk with Dr. Buss about rebuilding the team:
Bryant: He went into a little bit of the salary cap, free agents and all this other stuff, which, his memory was pretty remarkable in terms of what he was able to remember, the space he had available, who was available and how he was going to put it all together. When somebody has that kind of detail, it’s pretty easy to roll with.

Q: On if he’s concerned about the future of the organization:
Bryant: It’s tough. It’s tough to follow in those shoes. I think the important thing to do is to take the lessons he’s taught – and I’m sure there are many – and things that they’ve learned from him, and try to carry it on to the future.

Q: On if there a sense of the team going all in because of their offseason knowing Dr. Buss’ health and is it something that he was cognizant of as the season has progressed:
Bryant: I know I have, and that’s part of the reason why I drive so hard. When we talked, we talked about getting another championship and trying to put the Celtics in the rearview mirror. That’s something that was driving him and that’s something that continues to drive me.

Q: On a particular memory or two of Dr. Buss from a personal aspect:
Bryant: The last meeting that we had, I had a chance to visit him in the hospital, he was in good spirits, he was feeling fine physically, it was a really good day for him. He went on a couple walks. We just talked, and talked about my career, we talked about Magic (Johnson), the Showtime Lakers, the Celtics and all kinds of stuff. That was a good day.

Q: On why it was important for him to tell Dr. Buss to make it to Staples Center for a game to be recognized:
Bryant: He’s never really gotten that. It’s always been Dr. Buss along with the players and the accomplishments the team has had. But not really just him as an individual and what he’s done not only for this franchise, but for the city and the NBA as a whole. He hasn’t got that standing ovation.

Q: On what he learned most from Dr. Buss:
Bryant: To be patient, to be patient and not rush decisions. When you believe in something, you act despite what public opinion may be or what others and when public pressure sometimes can persuade people into making choices that might not be necessarily the best in the long run. He never did that. He always stuck to his guns and made his decisions what he felt was best for the organization, and that’s what I take from him.

Q: On how difficult it is to have that much patience like considering how competitive both he and Dr. Buss are:
Bryant: You have to have strong conviction in what you believe in. You have to know what you want and you have to have the vision, and then you have to go after it. He never made decisions made based off of fear of criticism or anything like that. He made sound decisions based on what he felt right was for the team.

Q: On his confidence level in the Buss children carrying on the success Dr. Buss had with the franchise over the years:
Bryant: Very confident.

Q: On if they’ll be able to match that success in terms of 16 NBA titles:
Bryant: You can’t. Like I said before, you’re following the greatest owner in sports. When you try to match that or equal that, it’s nearly an impossible task. In their own way, they’ll have success for sure.

Q: On if something like this can help galvanize the team the rest of the season:
Bryant: I hope so. A lot of the guys here never had a chance to meet him and didn’t really know him. Some of us were too young to understand the impact and significance he had. Now it’s a chance to get somewhat of a history lesson and understand what this franchise is, what it really means, where it comes from and hopefully we can carry that on.

Q: On what it means to be a Laker and if it can be:
Bryant: That’s a tough question for me to answer. I just so happened to grow up a Laker fan. I’ve bled purple and gold my whole life. It’s tough for me. That’s unfamiliar territory for me. That’s all I know. I don’t know if it can be taught or not.

Q: On his role as a leader in preparing for two games this week:
Bryant: Just stay focused on the moment, have a good practice today and come out tomorrow night ready to put on a good show in his honor.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:10 pm

JGC wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:Jazzygirl has to be the poster of the month or something....very well said once again!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

What do you find to be so amazing about that post exactly? Or, are you being facetious here?

I mean, it isn't even factually correct (Kobe did not score the most points in an NBA game for instance) and the multiple run-ons make it feel like a bit of a ramble.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad post by any stretch, but I don't understand why a post that isn't even 100% factually accurate would be an accomplishment for her. I'm not sure if you're serious, but if you are, I don't see why you think the standard for Jazzygirl is so low.

I've seen better posts from her this month, let alone other posters. Cmon guys.

Maybe you should read better..bcuz she didnt' say Kobe scored the most points in an NBA game....she said she's stumbled across people that didn't know the most points Kobe has scored in a game...meaning people didn't know that Kobe once scored 81 points in a game....read much bro? or BITTER much?

Let me tell you something JGC. What I usually do at CL is when i scan a thread, I usually stop and read certain people's posts. Jazzygirl was not one of those people, but realdeal is one, KB24 is one, Weezy is one, DocBrown, Abeer3, Puffy, BDG, Lakersjones, Bruddah (where the heck has he been?!), Roos, etc..But as of late, Jazzygirl has caught my attention with her recent posts, and she knows what she's talking about. JGC, unfortunately for you, you are not one of those posters for me personally. I don't stop and read what you have to say, because you haven't caught my attention yet. Maybe in a year or two, i'll recognize you. But for right now, I'm giving jazzygirl her props because she posts what i like to call "real talk".
FabFourLakers

Re: Kobe Discussion:"I've bled purple & gold my whole life"(528)

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Anyways....so Kobe Bean Bryant guys!

With it on
Chillbongo

Postby thebluemamba14 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:35 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Anyways....so Kobe Bean Bryant guys!

With it on

It's sad to see Kobe, arguably the greatest player to ever play the game of basketball in history, only rocking 1 MVP patch :man6: While LeBron has the MVP locked up for the next 3-5 years by default. All while already having 3 :bang: :bang: :bang: He's going to end up having more than MJ!
thebluemamba14

Postby Weezy on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:14 pm

Considering that the MVP is a media voted award with ever-changing criteria that's only partly earned I doubt Kobe cares much. Kobe was more valuable to his team than any other player in the league for a few years there, but that's not the criteria.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:24 pm

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:42 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:
JGC wrote:
FabFourLakers wrote:Jazzygirl has to be the poster of the month or something....very well said once again!!!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

What do you find to be so amazing about that post exactly? Or, are you being facetious here?

I mean, it isn't even factually correct (Kobe did not score the most points in an NBA game for instance) and the multiple run-ons make it feel like a bit of a ramble.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad post by any stretch, but I don't understand why a post that isn't even 100% factually accurate would be an accomplishment for her. I'm not sure if you're serious, but if you are, I don't see why you think the standard for Jazzygirl is so low.

I've seen better posts from her this month, let alone other posters. Cmon guys.

Maybe you should read better..bcuz she didnt' say Kobe scored the most points in an NBA game....she said she's stumbled across people that didn't know the most points Kobe has scored in a game...meaning people didn't know that Kobe once scored 81 points in a game....read much bro? or BITTER much?

Let me tell you something JGC. What I usually do at CL is when i scan a thread, I usually stop and read certain people's posts. Jazzygirl was not one of those people, but realdeal is one, KB24 is one, Weezy is one, DocBrown, Abeer3, Puffy, BDG, Lakersjones, Bruddah (where the heck has he been?!), Roos, etc..But as of late, Jazzygirl has caught my attention with her recent posts, and she knows what she's talking about. JGC, unfortunately for you, you are not one of those posters for me personally. I don't stop and read what you have to say, because you haven't caught my attention yet. Maybe in a year or two, i'll recognize you. But for right now, I'm giving jazzygirl her props because she posts what i like to call "real talk".

Exactly, same here. Some posts here make me :bow: :jam2: And "A LOT" make me :boxing1: :mad1: :bang: lol. But that's the essence of message boards.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:48 pm

thebluemamba14 wrote:
Chillbongo wrote:Anyways....so Kobe Bean Bryant guys!

With it on

It's sad to see Kobe, arguably the greatest player to ever play the game of basketball in history, only rocking 1 MVP patch :man6: While LeBron has the MVP locked up for the next 3-5 years by default. All while already having 3 :bang: :bang: :bang: He's going to end up having more than MJ!

LeBron will probably have 3 or 4 more before he retires, nothing we can do about that. Kind of bothersome to know Kobe only has one, and that the one he does have was a "throw you a bone" MVP because Chris Broussard kept saying how it'll be a crime if he never even got one. If he didn't get that little lifetime achievement speech from a few analysis (Magic, Chris) then he wouldn't even have "one", and to be honest people remember MVP's more than championships, it's unfortunate but as long as we know what player he was and we got to see him play and win for this organization along with other Laker greats that's all that matters :jam2:
Jazzygirl205

Postby John3:16 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:48 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:Image

Quite possibly the coolest picture of Kobe I've ever seen.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:50 pm

Good thing he didn't went to play on Pluto :man9:
kenzo

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion