Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Kobe Discussion:"Amnesty THAT"

Postby Finwë on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:23 pm

^^ yeah, Malone too.
I agree last stand that maybe it's more impressive 'cause he's a guard, and also because of the roles he's taken on this season. He's been (at different times and sometimes at the same time) the main scorer, the closer, the primary facilitator, the key perimeter defender.. He's guarded PGs and post-up players, he's played PG through SF, he keeps scoring on the block, on drives, on jumpshots.. He's probably shooting a career high % from the field.
Just amazing.

I think, realistically, he could keep playing for 4-5 more years. I know he says he doesn't want to, and he'd probably have to settle for a lesser role in a couple of years, but still, I see him providing us what, say, someone like Paul Pierce is now, at the age of 37, 38. I see him scoring around 20-22 in 2016. He's amazing at adapting his game, it's only a matter of desire. If he wants to keep going, I believe he has a lot more basketball in him.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby XXIV on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:26 pm

Mark Medina ‏@MedinaLakersNBA
Dwight Howard said he would give Kobe Bryant's dunk an "8 or a 9." I asked why not a 10. "I'm just messing around."
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:27 pm

Finwë wrote:^^ yeah, Malone too.
I agree last stand that maybe it's more impressive 'cause he's a guard, and also because of the roles he's taken on this season. He's been (at different times and sometimes at the same time) the main scorer, the closer, the primary facilitator, the key perimeter defender.. He's guarded PGs and post-up players, he's played PG through SF, he keeps scoring on the block, on drives, on jumpshots.. He's probably shooting a career high % from the field.
Just amazing.

I think, realistically, he could keep playing for 4-5 more years. I know he says he doesn't want to, and he'd probably have to settle for a lesser role in a couple of years, but still, I see him providing us what, say, someone like Paul Pierce is now, at the age of 37, 38. I see him scoring around 20-22 in 2016. He's amazing at adapting his game, it's only a matter of desire. If he wants to keep going, I believe he has a lot more basketball in him.

I just don't think he wants to do that. I think he wants to go out like this.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:36 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Finwë wrote:^^ yeah, Malone too.
Just amazing.

I just don't think he wants to do that. I think he wants to go out like this.

Maybe. But "this" and other adapted excellences......he may still have in him through 2 or 3 more years. Barring health & serious injury issues. The physical way he goes so damn hard in games is astonishing. It's magnificent really. That kind of aggression, physicality, precision and grace all in one package. Wow.
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:41 pm

I'm just saying I don't think he wants to play if he's not averaging 25 points a game and throwing down nice dunks every now and again. I don't think he wants to go out like Paul Pierce.

The only way I see him playing longer than 2 years from now is if the team he's on is so dominant that they can win multiple Championships while he's still a major part of the program. I just don't see him playing until he's 37 averaging 20 points a night and watching guys like Dwight and whichever wing player "replaces" him take over.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:41 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:hes dunked more times this season than the past few seasons it seems. dude is unreal. that dunk (should have been an and-1) was jaw dropping from a guy 17 years in the league.

Not only that but he is looking quicker than he has in years with many of his insane moves and spins and crossovers and...... :man4: :man4: THUNDER DUNKS Bleep me, what a one of a kind player. :bow: :bow:

It's possible that he's just emptying the tank if this really is his second to last season. That's not to say he wasn't giving his all before, but those kind of dunks really are taxing on the body he might have been conserving that energy for something else on the floor who knows.
XXIV

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:45 pm

XXIV wrote:
Mark Medina ‏@MedinaLakersNBA
Dwight Howard said he would give Kobe Bryant's dunk an "8 or a 9." I asked why not a 10. "I'm just messing around."

no, its because the 10 was the dunk on him
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby showtime mamba on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:56 pm

The Mamba taking the new school out of their primes one dunk at a time. :bow: :jam2: :bow: :jam2:
showtime mamba

Postby JSM on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:08 am

The Rock wrote:Image

Opening scene to the Entourage movie.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:11 am

Kobe doesn't want to be that old "bench guy" in future seasons he wants to retire in the bunch at the top. That's why he's retiring so early. He said he's grumpy as hell right now so in other words he wants to win and win it right now and in his last season so he can retire on top. That's why he's playing so hard. If he were to play another several seasons you think he'd be giving his all like this, at this age, with a tired worn down body? Nope. He wouldn't care, but he does so he's throwing it all on the table one last go around.
Jazzygirl205

Postby jimbo327 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:15 am

Kobe can play until 45. Just go get the knee treatment in Germany every offseason.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby bruddahmanmatt on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:21 am

Disgusting dunk is disgusting.
P&G
bruddahmanmatt

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:38 am

Biz wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:He didn't shoot to much?

Oh yea, I forget those posters don't show up when Kobe dominates and we win.

KOBE is the damn man. If that dunk was done by KD or LBJ it would be the best play of the month. However, its Kobe fricken Bryant. That is all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be honest...I'm not a fan of the way our offense closed out that game. I don't think anybody else even shot the ball the last what..3 1/2 minutes of the game. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we won but I think we'll be able to win a lot easier by moving the ball more. Although Kobe did mention that when they stay home on the shooters then it's his job to attack, so I guess he did what he had to do.

I rarely criticize Kobe too..

There were times where I wanted to see some ball movement. However, it isn't about Kobe just wanting to take the shot. There was one play where Kobe was waiting on a pick from Dwight (about 12 sec on shot clock) but the screen was barely set as Dwight was more concerned with the "roll" part. What happened a very contested Kobe shot. The ball never moved and no one else did either. The trick is to get the best shot available no matter if it is Dwight, Nash, MWP, Blake or any of the other players. Get the shot that will give the best look. Atlanta put guys on Kobe that he could attack 1 on 1 and get to the rim. Kobe attacked. My only comment on that was trying to force it to him when Nash is on the court. That is also on Nash to bring the ball up and call the play to get other looks (or himself a look). This is why I argue against people who are looking at "shot attempts" as the balance maker. Kobe took what they gave him and exploited it over and over and over again. Thats what we want from one of the greatest scorers to ever play the game, right?
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby l8kerboi23 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:49 am

All observant laker fans know that kobe ball hasn't worked for the last 3 years. Move the ball, find the open man or else another early exit like the last two years.
l8kerboi23

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:54 am

CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:56 am

l8kerboi23 wrote:All observant laker fans know that kobe ball hasn't worked for the last 3 years. Move the ball, find the open man or else another early exit like the last two years.

I beg to differ... If a fan was "observant" then that fan would understand two fundamental things.

1. Kobe ball is no different that Kobe assist ball with the exception of player movement.

2. 2 guys and 2 guys only on this team can systematically create their own shot (Kobe, Nash). It is great to move the ball but without moving we get a MWP dribble-dribble-dribble forced floating sideways 3. Would you want that or a Kobe one on one shot?

The point is that when the team moves without the ball (both PJAx and Coach D's offenses work off of it) then the ball finds them. When they stand around the ball finds the best option which is now, tomorrow, next week, next month and so forth Kobe.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Murdock on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:03 am

The problem i see with Kobe and the reason you see two distinctive modes is tha Kobe can't play well balanced game ... it's either Kobe-shooting mode or Kobe-passing mode nothing in between ... sometimes you see him shoot over 3 people instead of making right basketball play and pass ... and sometimes you see him over passing instead of making right basketball play by shooting the ball ...

and this indirectly leads to off the ball player movement ... JVG commented it best in one game - it's all about making right basketball play at the right time ... and Kobe hasn't been doing that in the past 3 years IMO
Murdock

Postby Nikez on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:06 am

Still the best in the game period.

I think most know that kobe could play until he's 40 and dominate. I'm hoping that the media gets to him enough so that he is motivated to get rid of this "slowed down old as hell" talk and actually play till he's 40 lol
Before long, someone recognized Phil Jackson sitting in the front seat, and then the rocks began to fly. Revelers pelted the bus and shook it, mocking the Lakers at their lowest moment.

It was painful,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol(notes) said. “It is a feeling that I want to keep in my mind for every single minute that I’m out there playing them.
Nikez

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:09 am

Murdock wrote:The problem i see with Kobe and the reason you see two distinctive modes is tha Kobe can't play well balanced game ... it's either Kobe-shooting mode or Kobe-passing mode nothing in between ... sometimes you see him shoot over 3 people instead of making right basketball play and pass ... and sometimes you see him over passing instead of making right basketball play by shooting the ball ...

and this indirectly leads to off the ball player movement ... JVG commented it best in one game - it's all about making right basketball play at the right time ... and Kobe hasn't been doing that in the past 3 years IMO

I'd say Kobe has been doing that for 16 years. Probably a little more worse since '05 as being the man on the team. The past several games, he finally knows how to balance between scoring and moving the ball.
Kobe8Fan

Postby earvinfr on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:10 am

We have to give Howard credit for the screen set to free the way for Kobe. Kobe is healthy this season but I think he gets help from Dwight with good screens. Good screens are not just about being big, Garnet is not big but is good at it, ok some are moving screens... Remember Stockton with Malone's screen. As big as Bynum is, he wasn't very good at setting screens.
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby kenzo on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:15 am

jbiggs wrote:as stu mentioned when kobe posterized josh smith, just imagine if kobe could palm the ball a la jordan. he would literally be outta this stratosphere (if he isnt already that is)

Yep, i've been saying the same thing for years. If he could palm the ball Mike/Vince style... :man4:
Last edited by kenzo on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenzo

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:17 am

Murdock wrote:The problem i see with Kobe and the reason you see two distinctive modes is tha Kobe can't play well balanced game ... it's either Kobe-shooting mode or Kobe-passing mode nothing in between ... sometimes you see him shoot over 3 people instead of making right basketball play and pass ... and sometimes you see him over passing instead of making right basketball play by shooting the ball ...

I am surprised to see you post. That being said, how do you say he isn't playing a balanced game? Isn't his stats 27/6/6 or something like that? He sat for 8 minutes in the second quarter and we fed Dwight over and over and over again and he missed, missed, missed, missed some more. Our aggressiveness failed us. Kobe comes back in and we right the ship and all of a sudden we extend our lead from 4 to 7 by half time. Even the greatest to ever touch a basketball (The King) makes bad plays or the wrong choice yet only Kobe gets criticized for not having balance. That doesn't make much sense to me.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Cleansed on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:20 am

...simply amazing.

I've been saying this to myself for some time but i felt the need to type it here...

I simply cannot in good conscious choose another player in the NBA over Kobe Bryant. I dont care what the stats show (currently), what the mainstream news outlets would have the masses believe nor his current age.

I simply would not choose another player over Kobe Bryant. He seems to be of that age where his natural brilliance has been increased by his experience which offsets his physical ability (which may or may not be deteriorating due to age).
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby Cleansed on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:23 am

I have one question for Kobe detractors whose claims fly in the face of reality....

..... does it hurt? :man1:
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:35 am

MJ retired in 98 although he could have played for a few more years, because the Bulls broke up and he didn't want to play on a subpar team.

Kobe's the same way. He has enough left in the tank to play well for a few more years, but he's a closer, not a stat guy on a .500 team. Envious George Karl called Kobe that, back in 2005, right before he got the Nuggets job. But Kobe, like MJ, has the ability to take a good team to championship-level bball. His effort is wasted on a .500 team, which of course is why this year is so frustrating to watch.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion