Kobe Discussion: Shutting it down; Puts Lakers FO on blast

Re: Kobe Discussion: back to back 40 / 12 games!

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:54 pm

19 - 9 - 7, I'd call that a pretty nice balanced game.

His chemistry with Dwight is getting MUCH better. Between their P&R game and him finding Dwight for lobs, it's looking real good.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:00 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter
Kobe on when Howard gets booed in Orlando: "Boos don't block dunks."

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi
Kobe on Dwight's emotional return to Orlando: "Man, I'll talk to him. Just go out there and bust there a--. Show them what they're missing.

Arash Markazi ‏@ArashMarkazi
Kobe on Dwight's return to Orlando: "I'd tear'em up. It's like me going back to Philadelphia for the Finals."
JSM

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:04 pm

We need this chemistry between them, it's gonna be awesome when we finally get into the playoffs, unstoppable unit. Kobe and Dwight averaging like 30 a game, Nash 20 it'll be so awesome almost like the Shaq and Kobe days, except this time the big man is younger than Kobe lol.
Jazzygirl205

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:24 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:Image

i turned my head away from the screen when this happened. lol, what was going on?
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby JSM on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:27 pm

Looks like Kobe's "Heeeere's Johnny!" face
JSM

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:27 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:

i turned my head away from the screen when this happened. lol, what was going on?

It was Kobe's cross-over and drive to the basket at the end of the game. Jeff and Mike were just showing the replay and this is what we saw :man10:

I wonder what Deng was thinking looking at him
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Weezy on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:28 pm

lakersyunowin wrote:

Just looked like maybe he saw a lob attempt or something too late and made that face like 'damn almost', but also saw the clock and knew he had to take it himself from there. I think he does stuff like that often we just don't see it. Reminds me a little of that face Brian Shaw made before he threw that crazy ally-oop to Kobe against Philly I think.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:57 pm

that double screen by nash and dwight when dwight rolled and kobe made the easy pass for a dunk was awesome. that was a great play! nate has to chose between nash wide open or dwight, deng has to recover for dwights good 2nd screen, and noah is left on an island with kobe. either way its an advantage lakers. great play by dantoni and hope more like that are used.
Ariza3

Postby The Rock on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:46 pm

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2013/03/09/kobe-putting-up-improbable-numbers-while-fighting-off-father-time/?ls=iref:nbahppt

Charles Barkley has an old friend he introduces to players headed for the other side of their prime.

His name is Father Time and Father Time plays a mean brand of ball, as unstoppable as Barkley in the day backing his big backside in the low block. Father Time, Barkley says, eventually shoves his pointy posterior into every career, superstar to scrub, and doesn’t let up till its all over. Just wait on him.
Even you, Kobe Bryant.

“Seventeen years of my career,” Bryant stated recently, boldly asked whether age and mileage are starting to show, “if there’s anything about me that says I’m going to allow you guys to see me slow up, it’s silly.”

Bryant is, at age 34 and 17 seasons in, boxing out Father Time like nobody’s business. He’s challenging Kevin Durant, 24, and Carmelo Anthony, 28, for the scoring title. His 27.8 scoring average is right at last season’s average, and is two points better than his career average and is a hair higher than the average of LeBron James, 28, the runaway MVP candidate. Entering Saturday’s games, Bryant trailed only Durant in total points — by 15.

But enough about those rubber-legged whippersnappers. Bryant’s point total this season — 1,752 and counting — is well ahead of pace to become the highest total ever by a player 34 or older and in at least his 15th season. Bryant needs 344 points, another 13 games or so at his current clip, to surpass the king of the geriatric category, Karl Malone, who poured in an all-time best 2,095 points as a 36-year-old, 15-year vet.

Bryant’s season currently ranks fourth all-time under the 34-and-15 parameter. Malone holds the top two spots (also 2000-01, scoring 1,878 points at 37, 16th season) and three of the top four (also 1,788 points in 2001-02 at 38, 17th season). Kareem Abdul-Jabbar’s 1985-86 season ranks third with 1,846 points at 38 in his 17th season.

Bryant on Friday night posted 41 points in a sensational clutch performance that began the Lakers’ final 20-game playoff push with a wild overtime win against the Toronto Raptors, a team he once popped for 81. He’s now gone for 40 or more in consecutive games and three times in the last eight games, a span in which he’s averaged 35.9 points and shot 55.6 percent (99-for-178) overall and 47.8 percent (22-for-46) from 3-point range.

It’s led to a new Twitter hashtag for Bryant — #vino — as in gets better with age. He will add to his remarkable point total Sunday afternoon in nationally televised game against the Chicago Bulls (3:30 p.m. ET, ABC).

Yet it’s not only Bryant’s scoring that’s up. Across the board he’s having a season that makes younger men weep: Facilitator mode has resulted in 5.7 apg, his highest since 2004-05; 5.4 rpg, a tick above his career average; 47.5 field-goal percentage, best of his career; and 34.3 percent from beyond the arc, his highest percentage in four seasons and above his career average.
In spite of a basketball odometer that reads 1,444 career games — regular season and playoffs — and 53,432 total minutes, Bryant’s stats suggest that he’s still evolving?

“He’s playing probably at as good a level as I’ve seen anybody play this year,” said Oklahoma City coach Scott Brooks, who watches Durant and Russell Westbrook light it up nightly. “His ability to attack the paint, I mean, he seems to have two or three dunks every game now.”

Maybe it’s the German platelet-rich-plasma treatment from 2011. Probably it’s his determination and an inhuman pain threshold that hasn’t allowed him to miss more than nine games in any one season over the last eight. It pulled him back onto the floor in Oklahoma City Tuesday night after jarring his right elbow so badly early in the first quarter that he had to leave the game for treatment and was deemed by the team’s training staff to be “questionable” to return. They should know the Mamba better than that.

Minutes later he checked back in and scored 30, nearly rallying L.A. all the way out of a big hole against the Thunder.

Two nights later at New Orleans he had 42 points, 12 assists and seven rebounds, and this time he did bring the perplexing Lakers all the way back from down 25 for a critical win to their playoff quest, just like Friday night. It’s the story of this strange Lakers season: For L.A. to have a chance to beat even the league’s lesser teams, Bryant has had to be magnificent, and even then it hasn’t always been enough to lift his disappointing club.

He’s pulled the Lakers (32-31) to just a half-game out of the final playoff spot, but to secure it, it’s clear it take Kobe gone wild the rest of the way.

“It’s fun,” Bryant said. “This is what we get paid to do, is compete at a high level. I enjoy it.”

Bryant won’t find much enjoyment if he wins the scoring title but falls short of the playoffs. He’d become the first scoring champ not to make the postseason since Tracy McGrady with the Orlando Magic in 2004. McGrady was 24 when he led the league in scoring for a second consecutive season.

But what business does Bryant have challenging for a third scoring title anyway? Fact is, 30-somethings don’t win scoring titles. Michael Jordan was the last to do it at Bryant’s age. Jordan turned 35 during the 1997-98 season, his 13th in the league and last with the Bulls. He averaged 28.7 points and punctuated it with a sixth NBA championship.

Jerry West won it at 31 in 1969-70, his 10th season. Alex English turned 30 during the ’82-’83 season, his seventh in the league.

Think Bryant can’t do it again since going back-to-back in 2006 and 2007 as a relative pup of 27 and 28? Entering Saturday’s games, he trails Durant (28.5 ppg) by 0.7 points and is 0.4 points behind Anthony (28.2 ppg). All three are capable of monster finishes as their teams fight for playoff seeding.

Bryant and the Lakers are battling just to get in and that means he’s going to keep playing heavy minutes in the final 19 games. Bryant is averaging 38.3 mpg, a ludicrous amount of floor time for a player of his age and mileage. Entering Saturday’s games, only seven players average more.

Of the 10 players logging at least 38 mpg, their average age is 24.7 years with an average of 5.4 seasons in the league. None are older than 28.

To refresh, Bryant is 34 with 17.

“He’s just a determined guy,” Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni said. “He;’s got a big heart, he’s playing hard, so, he’s unbelievable. I would like to have the luxury of being able to sit him more. You know what, I say that, but he won’t let me do it.

“He wants to play and he’s going to play so he’ll battle through it. It doesn’t matter.”

And just maybe Bryant will outrun Father Time. He continues to hint that he won’t hang around until his body won’t let him, perhaps even retiring as soon as his contract expires at the end of next season, at the ripe, old age of 35.
If he does, it just might go down as Father Time’s first defeat of all-time.

Just ridiculous what hes doing right now. Un-effin-real

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:09 am

^And still not an MVP candidate according to most of the media.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:49 am

Good game by Kobe not forcing anything ... you could see he was frustrated with MWP and Clark play but he kept moving the ball ... fortunately Steve Nash happened in the 3rd
wcsoldier81

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:41 am

any basketball fan who follows more than just one team would know that kobe is playing at an mvp level and can stil hang with the best of the youngsters
Ariza3

Postby odom1year on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:40 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:^And still not an MVP candidate according to most of the media.

Why he is ? Scoring 40 against 2 lottery teams makes him a MVP candidate ? In fact, we just get the playoffs seeding instead of leading the league. In record wise, Chris Paul represents LA MVP in the race of NBA MVP.
odom1year

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:52 am

Why have you only won one MVP?

Because I played with Shaq. It’s that simple. A lot of the time we cancelled each other out. I sacrificed a lot playing with him. I really did. I did it for the success of the team. If I never played with him, my numbers would have been ridiculous.
Ariza3

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:42 am

He'd have 5 scoring titles total if he would have played the final regular season game last season, it wasn't that much worth it because we went nowhere in the playoffs. He can do it this season, the only difference is he can do without even caring because that's how easy the game has come to him this season.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:32 am

Ariza3 wrote:

Because I played with Shaq. It’s that simple. A lot of the time we cancelled each other out. I sacrificed a lot playing with him. I really did. I did it for the success of the team. If I never played with him, my numbers would have been ridiculous.

Why does this only apply to Kobe? It's gonna be terrible that only his reseme he has multiple everything else except for regular season MVP's all because of some bull feces.
Jazzygirl205

Postby last stand on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:37 am

I do agree with kobe, had he never played with shaq and been given the green light we would have seen a few 40ppg seasons from kobe. he's the greatest scorer to play and he would have shown it. he averaged 35ppg with a knee that was bothering him
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby therealdeal on Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am

He might need another scoring title just to keep us in this playoff push.

Hopefully Dwight continues healing up so he can give us 20 ppg and that'll keep Kobe relatively fresh.

Some of those minute totals are misleading only because when he went into facilitator Mamba-mode he wasn't expending as much energy. He could play 38 minutes that game and really only work hard for 28 of them. These days not so much because he's been Playoffs Mamba. That means 39 minutes balls to the wall with scoring, rebounding, defense, and passing all being played at an intensely high level.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:57 am

odom1year wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:^And still not an MVP candidate according to most of the media.

Why he is ? Scoring 40 against 2 lottery teams makes him a MVP candidate ? In fact, we just get the playoffs seeding instead of leading the league. In record wise, Chris Paul represents LA MVP in the race of NBA MVP.

It really is hard to not flame you because honestly I cannot imagine someone posting what you post. It amazes me how little understanding a lot of fans have with just overall basketball. Lebron puts up a game winner and is celebrated like he did it against the Thunder or Spurs. Kobe is playing MVP ball and while it appears that some are incapable of seeing it that does not make it not the case.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Forklift on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:17 am

Well i don't really care if he win MVP or not. MVP doesn't mean anything anymore. The media has killed it. It stopped being relevant to me when Kobe had a historical 81 points and wasn't awarded the MVP only thing i would be pissed about is if Kobe doesn't get in the HOF.
Forklift

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:39 am

Jazzygirl205 wrote:
Ariza3 wrote:

Why does this only apply to Kobe? It's gonna be terrible that only his reseme he has multiple everything else except for regular season MVP's all because of some bull feces.

Because LeBron is Buddha crossed with Moses and Jesus and his half-brother is Allah. And ESPN likes that.
Chillbongo

Postby The Rock on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:06 pm

https://twitter.com/gregbeacham/status/311190901672271872
Kobe is the Western Conference player of the week again. Had 33.0 pts, 8.8 assts, 5.8 rbds per game.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:08 pm

^ Damn right.

:man4:
Chillbongo

Postby The Rock on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:09 pm

He has also attempted 12 free throws a game in that span. Good sign

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby John3:16 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:23 pm

Forklift wrote:Well i don't really care if he win MVP or not. MVP doesn't mean anything anymore. The media has killed it. It stopped being relevant to me when Kobe had a historical 81 points and wasn't awarded the MVP only thing i would be pissed about is if Kobe doesn't get in the HOF.

Agree that the award doesn't mean anything anymore (because of the media), but Kobe scoring 81 doesn't translate into an award over the course of a season. Now, him averaging 35 for the entire season and coming in FOURTH place in MVP voting is a complete joke, that is a perfect example of what you're saying. The fact that Kobe got a team of Kwame, Odom, Luke, and Smush into the playoffs, in the West, and comes in 4th is just ridiculous.
John3:16

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion