Kobe Bryant Discussion: Reason for Lakers downfall?

Re: Kobe Discussion: ankle feeling much stronger (591)

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:17 am

If he plays on Friday I hope Pringles acts like a head coach and really limits his minutes instead of going "Haha I didnt even realize he logged 45mins tonight!" after the game.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

- 24
User avatar
Tobias Funke

 
Posts: 5696
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:13 am

Re: Kobe Discussion: ankle feeling much stronger (591)

Postby Thenextgreat on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:12 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Weezy wrote:And to go against that sarcastic argument that some will actually use, Kobe barely played in the playoffs his first 2 seasons, LeBron came in as his teams franchise player and got more points earlier on because of it. Also, it makes sense that Kobe has those numbers, having gone to the Finals 4 times by 28, the WCF multiple times, regularly putting up 30 point games, and dropping 40 on certain teams multiple times, and only missing the playoffs one time by that age I believe.


In all fairness and truth Kobe is so underrated it isn't funny. The dude has been amazing, period.
User avatar
Thenextgreat

 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:07 am

Re: Kobe Discussion: ankle feeling much stronger (591)

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:29 am

Please comeback Kobe :man6:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
User avatar
KareemTheGreat33

 
Posts: 7833
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2004 2:52 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Kobe Discussion: ankle feeling much stronger (591)

Postby lakersin4 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:12 am

JSM wrote:
Kamenetzky Brothers
Antawn Jamison: Kobe encourages us to yell at him.
Antawn Jamison appeared Wednesday on ESPNLA 710's "Max and Marcellus" to discuss the Lakers' playoff push. Among other details, he shared how Kobe Bryant, considered among the more intimidating teammates in the NBA, tells his supporting cast to get in his face.

Per Dave McMenamin, ESPNLA.com:

"Kobe will tell you," Jamison said. "He's like, 'Look, you guys as my teammates, yell at me. Let me know that you're open because I'm so programmed,' and this guy has told me this, 'I see nothing but that basket. You could be open, there could be three guys on me, but the only thing I see is that basket so you have to tell me, Look, I was open. Or yell at me mid-play. That doesn't affect me at all and I respect that.' "

Jamison said the veteran-laden roster has adapted to Bryant's style and the players have no problem with confronting the five-time champion.

"I think the thing we've seen in the past was most teammates might have been afraid to come to him or express, 'Kob' I was open,' or, 'That's not what we drew up,' " Jamison said. "The thing I like about this team, Steve Nash -- who is a Hall of Famer -- and Dwight [Howard] as well, Dwight and Kobe have gotten into shouting matches on the bench because Dwight will be like, 'Kob', that's your rotation. Get there.' And after the game he'll be like, 'Appreciate it, big fella. I needed that.' "

http://espn.go.com/blo...

While it certainly would raise eyebrows to see Kobe [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] out by a role player, Jamison's assessment is actually consistent with what we've seen in recent years regarding Bryant and teammates. Generally speaking, the ones he respects most are those he's played with longest, who in turn are more inclined to deny him the ball.

Derek Fisher. Pau Gasol. Lamar Odom. Metta World Peace. Believe it or not, Luke Walton.

After enough time, they realize it's okay to ignore Bryant's furious claps for the rock, and whatever earful endured won't kill them. Kobe backs down to nobody, so it stands to reason he wants teammates who won't back down to him. Fall in line behind him or take his cues? Sure. But that's not the same thing as being cowering in Bryant's presence, which is the last thing a player on a championship quest wants from those sharing a foxhole.

Surprised they didn't mention Farmar.. He'd act like Kobe wasn't even on the floor & he didn't hear him clapping for the ball.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Kobe Discussion: ankle feeling much stronger (591)

Postby strategos on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:21 am

The article speaks of players Kobe respects, maybe Farmar was not one of them...
User avatar
strategos

 
Posts: 1093
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:06 am
Location: Poland, Wroclaw

Re: Kobe Discussion: ankle feeling much stronger (591)

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:29 am

Man, I hope he's ready to go by Friday; that would be great. If not, ideally, Monday against GS. Just get healthy, Kobe...
dwighthowardsdad

 
Posts: 1695
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:31 am

Re: Kobe Discussion: ankle feeling much stronger (591)

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:54 am

Thenextgreat wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Weezy wrote:And to go against that sarcastic argument that some will actually use, Kobe barely played in the playoffs his first 2 seasons, LeBron came in as his teams franchise player and got more points earlier on because of it. Also, it makes sense that Kobe has those numbers, having gone to the Finals 4 times by 28, the WCF multiple times, regularly putting up 30 point games, and dropping 40 on certain teams multiple times, and only missing the playoffs one time by that age I believe.


In all fairness and truth Kobe is so underrated it isn't funny. The dude has been amazing, period.


Not trying to troll, but Lebron is better at this moment than Kobe was at any point in Kobe's career. I'm 34, so I have seen Kobe's entire career as an adult. Kobe is top 6-7 all time, but if LBJ has another 4-5 years at this lvl, he may go down as the GOAT. His efficiency and versatility are amazing. His weaknesses from a couple years ago have now become strengths. He is clutch and ruthless. He is the best defensive player every year outside of Dwight if he's healthy. Is Kobe more "talented?" Maybe, from a pure scorer standpoint.

The Lakers are my team and Kobe has brought me great joy, but Lebron is ridiculous.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9045
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: Kobe Discussion: ankle feeling much stronger (591)

Postby TIME on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:59 am

Savory Griddles wrote:
Thenextgreat wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Weezy wrote:And to go against that sarcastic argument that some will actually use, Kobe barely played in the playoffs his first 2 seasons, LeBron came in as his teams franchise player and got more points earlier on because of it. Also, it makes sense that Kobe has those numbers, having gone to the Finals 4 times by 28, the WCF multiple times, regularly putting up 30 point games, and dropping 40 on certain teams multiple times, and only missing the playoffs one time by that age I believe.


In all fairness and truth Kobe is so underrated it isn't funny. The dude has been amazing, period.


Not trying to troll, but Lebron is better at this moment than Kobe was at any point in Kobe's career. I'm 34, so I have seen Kobe's entire career as an adult. Kobe is top 6-7 all time, but if LBJ has another 4-5 years at this lvl, he may go down as the GOAT. His efficiency and versatility are amazing. His weaknesses from a couple years ago have now become strengths. He is clutch and ruthless. He is the best defensive player every year outside of Dwight if he's healthy. Is Kobe more "talented?" Maybe, from a pure scorer standpoint.

The Lakers are my team and Kobe has brought me great joy, but Lebron is ridiculous.


I agree with most of your posts Savory, but I could not disagree more with this one.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9437
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Kobe Discussion: "Yell at me" (592)

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:08 am

I don't think that LeBron now is better than Kobe ever. I disagree with that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40322
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Kobe Discussion: "Yell at me" (592)

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:19 am

To me LeBron is better than any form of Kobe and it isn't even close.

LeBron leads his teams in scoring, rebounding, facilitating, defense, clutch play. There's nothing this guy doesn't do well.

Kobe at his peak was a scoring machine but he didn't do it hyper efficiently (although he was efficient) and his defense wasn't the best in the years he was scoring a lot. I just don't see any argument for peak Kobe over LeBron anymore.
User avatar
JoelMyersScrotalSack

 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am

Re: Kobe Discussion: ankle feeling much stronger (591)

Postby The Rock on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:21 am

Savory Griddles wrote:
Thenextgreat wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Weezy wrote:And to go against that sarcastic argument that some will actually use, Kobe barely played in the playoffs his first 2 seasons, LeBron came in as his teams franchise player and got more points earlier on because of it. Also, it makes sense that Kobe has those numbers, having gone to the Finals 4 times by 28, the WCF multiple times, regularly putting up 30 point games, and dropping 40 on certain teams multiple times, and only missing the playoffs one time by that age I believe.


In all fairness and truth Kobe is so underrated it isn't funny. The dude has been amazing, period.


Not trying to troll, but Lebron is better at this moment than Kobe was at any point in Kobe's career. I'm 34, so I have seen Kobe's entire career as an adult. Kobe is top 6-7 all time, but if LBJ has another 4-5 years at this lvl, he may go down as the GOAT. His efficiency and versatility are amazing. His weaknesses from a couple years ago have now become strengths. He is clutch and ruthless. He is the best defensive player every year outside of Dwight if he's healthy. Is Kobe more "talented?" Maybe, from a pure scorer standpoint.

The Lakers are my team and Kobe has brought me great joy, but Lebron is ridiculous.



If Lebron puts up these stats and wins rings your post would be 100% right...but we've seen this dance before, he kills it in regular season, did it in Miami and Cleveland and came up empty in playoffs. He may have turned a corner with his performance in last year's playoffs...sure but he a has a longer track record of coming up empty in playoffs than succeeeding. Last year he wasn't hitting his jumpshots either in the playoffs

Image
Last edited by The Rock on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19988
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Kobe Discussion: "Yell at me" (592)

Postby The Rock on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:22 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:To me LeBron is better than any form of Kobe and it isn't even close.

LeBron leads his teams in scoring, rebounding, facilitating, defense, clutch play. There's nothing this guy doesn't do well.

Kobe at his peak was a scoring machine but he didn't do it hyper efficiently (although he was efficient) and his defense wasn't the best in the years he was scoring a lot. I just don't see any argument for peak Kobe over LeBron anymore.


How can he be considered a great defender when dude goes 4-5 games without a foul being called on him? Things like that makes me wonder if he truly is great at defense
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19988
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Kobe Discussion: ankle feeling much stronger (591)

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:23 am

TIME wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:
Thenextgreat wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Weezy wrote:And to go against that sarcastic argument that some will actually use, Kobe barely played in the playoffs his first 2 seasons, LeBron came in as his teams franchise player and got more points earlier on because of it. Also, it makes sense that Kobe has those numbers, having gone to the Finals 4 times by 28, the WCF multiple times, regularly putting up 30 point games, and dropping 40 on certain teams multiple times, and only missing the playoffs one time by that age I believe.


In all fairness and truth Kobe is so underrated it isn't funny. The dude has been amazing, period.


Not trying to troll, but Lebron is better at this moment than Kobe was at any point in Kobe's career. I'm 34, so I have seen Kobe's entire career as an adult. Kobe is top 6-7 all time, but if LBJ has another 4-5 years at this lvl, he may go down as the GOAT. His efficiency and versatility are amazing. His weaknesses from a couple years ago have now become strengths. He is clutch and ruthless. He is the best defensive player every year outside of Dwight if he's healthy. Is Kobe more "talented?" Maybe, from a pure scorer standpoint.

The Lakers are my team and Kobe has brought me great joy, but Lebron is ridiculous.


You been drinkin that VSOP?

Or should I say BSPN?
User avatar
Chillbongo

 
Posts: 3241
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Kobe Discussion: ankle feeling much stronger (591)

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:24 am

The Rock wrote:
Savory Griddles wrote:
Thenextgreat wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:
Weezy wrote:And to go against that sarcastic argument that some will actually use, Kobe barely played in the playoffs his first 2 seasons, LeBron came in as his teams franchise player and got more points earlier on because of it. Also, it makes sense that Kobe has those numbers, having gone to the Finals 4 times by 28, the WCF multiple times, regularly putting up 30 point games, and dropping 40 on certain teams multiple times, and only missing the playoffs one time by that age I believe.


In all fairness and truth Kobe is so underrated it isn't funny. The dude has been amazing, period.


Not trying to troll, but Lebron is better at this moment than Kobe was at any point in Kobe's career. I'm 34, so I have seen Kobe's entire career as an adult. Kobe is top 6-7 all time, but if LBJ has another 4-5 years at this lvl, he may go down as the GOAT. His efficiency and versatility are amazing. His weaknesses from a couple years ago have now become strengths. He is clutch and ruthless. He is the best defensive player every year outside of Dwight if he's healthy. Is Kobe more "talented?" Maybe, from a pure scorer standpoint.

The Lakers are my team and Kobe has brought me great joy, but Lebron is ridiculous.



If Lebron puts up these stats and wins rings your post would be 100% right...but we've seen this dance before, he kills it in regular season, did it in Miami and Cleveland and came up empty in playoffs.


You know that's non sense. He had a mediocre playoff run in 2011 and choked in the Finals but that was about it. He has had some of the most amazing playoff performances ever, especially in 09 and last season.
User avatar
JoelMyersScrotalSack

 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am

Re: Kobe Discussion: "Yell at me" (592)

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:26 am

Anyway I don't want to turn this into a LeBron thread so I'll stop
User avatar
JoelMyersScrotalSack

 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am

Re: Kobe Discussion: "Yell at me" (592)

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:27 am

The Rock wrote:How can he be considered a great defender when dude goes 4-5 games without a foul being called on him? Things like that makes me wonder if he truly is great at defense

Yeah, it's quite the travesty. I know Jordan got some byes on defense but if you look at Jordan's man defense, and Kobe's man defense in the early-mid 2000's.....ungodly stuff.

LeBron doesn't have the same defensive mindset, but his shot blocking is superior. Steals are up there too, but I wouldn't say he is better than Jordan or Kobe in their primes. But I will say this, his versatility is something to note. He can guard a lot of positions, and more effectively than Kobe/Jordan could guard larger positions (obviously).
User avatar
Chillbongo

 
Posts: 3241
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Kobe Discussion: ankle feeling much stronger (591)

Postby The Rock on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:29 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
You know that's non sense. He had a mediocre playoff run in 2011 and choked in the Finals but that was about it. He has had some of the most amazing playoff performances ever, especially in 09 and last season.


How is it nonsense? Isn't winning by far the biggest factor? Isnt that why Kobe was discredit all those years during Shaq/Kobe arguments? Isn't that why Kobe was discredited during Kobe/Nash 06 MVP discussions? Winning has to count for something, people just cant change the goalposts now.

Lebron has to win multiple rings and he'll get his due credit, nobody is denying hes a great player hes just not as a great as Kobe thats what us Laker fans think about him. As of right now for this 2012/2013 year Lebron has accomplished more than Kobe, no arguments from me. But when its the 4th Quarter of a game (playoffs or regular) or if its a playoff series give me Kobe
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19988
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Kobe Discussion: "Yell at me" (592)

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:32 am

Joel, lets not forget his '07 sweep like ESPN did. Also, 2009 loss to the Magic? 2010 loss to Boston, including the game 5 choke by LeBron?

2011 was definitely not "just about it". Anyways, he's overcome that now, but he has failed several times, until he was paired up with 2003-2013 all-decade team.
User avatar
Chillbongo

 
Posts: 3241
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Kobe Discussion: "Yell at me" (592)

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:45 am

i yell at Kobe all the time
.
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
User avatar
pound4pound1

 
Posts: 6345
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:47 am
Location: 818 LAKER NATION

Re: Kobe Discussion: "Yell at me" (592)

Postby gcclaker on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:55 am

pound4pound1 wrote:i yell at Kobe all the time

Me too...mostly on the defensive side of the ball. Stuff like:

"Dude, don't drop off your man and leave him open for the three!"
"Dude, box out and not let your man crash the boards!"
"Dude, slap Chris Paul upside the head!"
"Dude, find someone else other than Metta!"

:man1:
No siggie...
User avatar
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15200
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 9:35 am
Location: Laker Cyber Space

Re: Kobe Discussion: "Yell at me" (592)

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:03 am

gcclaker wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:i yell at Kobe all the time

Me too...mostly on the defensive side of the ball. Stuff like:

"Dude, don't drop off your man and leave him open for the three!"
"Dude, box out and not let your man crash the boards!"
"Dude, slap Chris Paul upside the head!"
"Dude, find someone else other than Metta!"

:man1:



for me:


"dude, effing get back..stop arguing...dont get another T"
"dude, there's 3 on the clock..shoot that ish!!"
.
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
User avatar
pound4pound1

 
Posts: 6345
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:47 am
Location: 818 LAKER NATION

Re: Kobe Discussion: "Yell at me" (592)

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:22 am

Hmmm when LBJ turns 35 I'll see if the next phenom will be placed above him before having the success he's had throughout his career, or is that only reserved for Kobe? Never seen MJ have to endure having his career clouded in the midst of a budding Kobe Bryant, NEVER. See basketball fans can't help ourselves. We're loyal to our team and hometeams, and the players on them past and present. But for some, as basketball fans we also enjoying watching other players because we love basketball. Especially players that have made watching basketball exciting like clutch performances in the NBA finals and playoffs. Or, epic regular season games where they hit a buzzer beater to send it into multiple overtimes. As basketball fans how can you not enjoy that? That's why everyone watch the championship games of sports.

But then you have the fans that can't help but to absorb or fall for the hype and excitment. When a new player comes along everyone jumps on the bandwagon especially if that player is athletically exciting to watch. And that's just not exclusive to LeBron it can apply to any athlete in any sport. We can't help but to be intriuged, glued in, and turned into zombies when see watch them or see because it's what's being advertised. See the older players who had "similar" starts, careers and everything else become boring, old news and not as exciting. People enjoy the new, the now, the what everyone is talking about, the popular. What's more exciting? Seeing a 35 year old posterize a popular player or seeing a 28 year old posterize anyone?
Image
User avatar
Jazzygirl205

 
Posts: 6340
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: Kobe Discussion: "Yell at me" (592)

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:32 am

pound4pound1 wrote:
gcclaker wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:i yell at Kobe all the time

Me too...mostly on the defensive side of the ball. Stuff like:

"Dude, don't drop off your man and leave him open for the three!"
"Dude, box out and not let your man crash the boards!"
"Dude, slap Chris Paul upside the head!"
"Dude, find someone else other than Metta!"

:man1:



for me:


"dude, effing get back..stop arguing...dont get another T"
"dude, there's 3 on the clock..shoot that ish!!"


"Kobe...yes you made 2 in a row but...NOOO...OMG GOAT."
"Kobe...yes you made 2 in a row but...NOOO...damn it Kobe, we're down 3, not up 20"
#OURHOUSE
User avatar
lakerfan2

 
Posts: 9914
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:23 pm

Re: Kobe Discussion: "Yell at me" (592)

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:40 am

And I'm annoyed at the "detracting" of Kobe. Praise LeBron, love him, adore him, and all of that but to diminish Kobe is quite disrespectful. Two different players, two different starts to their careers, two different physical builds, same display of basketball as far as seeing something done before. And since when did we not care about scorers? "Oh Kobe is just a better scorer that's it". Some of you and half of basketball nation turn on your "Wow-o-meters" when someone goes off for a bunch of point so does the media. If you looked up Kobe's career the way some fans home or not disregard him you'd swear he hasn't done shot for basketball or this franchise it's so sad. Russell Westbrooks gets more love than Kobe and he's suppose to be the next Kobe **sarcasm**
Image
User avatar
Jazzygirl205

 
Posts: 6340
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: Kobe Discussion: "Yell at me" (592)

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:47 am

You know what though, I'm kind of glad that he doesn't get love. He was the undisputed NBA's best player from 2003-2008 (even with BSPN) and probably would have gotten a LOT more love if not for Colorado and Shaq.

But you know what, I kind of like it. He, and Laker fans kind of have a chip on our shoulders. We're not defending the lovechild of the league, we're backing up a controversial, polarizing, yet absolutely unparalleled basketball player. What he's done is remarkable. Just wait until he's retired and see the love pour in. Sure he's not getting the love LeBron is, but Kobe's kind of writing his own legacy, leaving his own mark in the NBA history book.

The only similarities between LeBron and Jordan are ESPN's coddling. At least with Jordan it was 100% warranted. The NBA needs heroes, let them bask in LeBron's greatness until better comes along.
User avatar
Chillbongo

 
Posts: 3241
Joined: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.