Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Kobe Discussion: Klapper video, possible 6 months (646)

Postby S.R.05 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:08 am

KBJelleyBean24 wrote:Is it weird that it pains me to see Kobe on crutches? And not figuratively, it literally makes me sick to my stomach.

kobe has been my favorite player for almost as long as i've been a basketball fan, so i know what you mean. what you're saying isn't weird at all to me. this man has been pretty much indestructible for the past 17 years, it's at least a little unsettling/weird to see him like this. but just seeing these photos of kobe, seemingly happy with his team visiting, makes me feel better for some reason. like after all this time i feel like i know the guy, and i hope he's not feeling too s****y
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:56 am

Almost surreal knowing we have to battle through the playoffs without him. You know how bad Kobe wants to be there for his guys? They know it & I hope it drives them to succeed.. Anyone worried we'll go deep in the playoffs without Kobe & Jimbo will undervalue him?
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:28 am

lakersin4 wrote:Almost surreal knowing we have to battle through the playoffs without him. You know how bad Kobe wants to be there for his guys? They know it & I hope it drives them to succeed.. Anyone worried we'll go deep in the playoffs without Kobe & Jimbo will undervalue him?

Um... No. Not even a little bit.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:38 am

lakersin4 wrote:Almost surreal knowing we have to battle through the playoffs without him. You know how bad Kobe wants to be there for his guys? They know it & I hope it drives them to succeed.. Anyone worried we'll go deep in the playoffs without Kobe & Jimbo will undervalue him?

if kobe hadn't won 5 titles, 1 mvp, been 4th all time in scoring, 1st in team history in scoring, and generally had and continued to have one of the greatest careers in the sports history then yes maybe that possibility would have existed
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby gcclaker on Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:42 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:Image

Good to see them have that firm friendship which should be there for the rest of their lives. Sadly, the Golden State game will likely the LAST time they will be teammates. Bryant has been close to him more than any other whose last name isn't Fisher.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:13 pm

Showtime.Revival.05 wrote:
KBJelleyBean24 wrote:Is it weird that it pains me to see Kobe on crutches? And not figuratively, it literally makes me sick to my stomach.

kobe has been my favorite player for almost as long as i've been a basketball fan, so i know what you mean. what you're saying isn't weird at all to me. this man has been pretty much indestructible for the past 17 years, it's at least a little unsettling/weird to see him like this. but just seeing these photos of kobe, seemingly happy with his team visiting, makes me feel better for some reason. like after all this time i feel like i know the guy, and i hope he's not feeling too s****y

Just imagine how much more happier we will be when that day comes and he will be back. It sometimes takes, just like it was for Pau, a player out for a super long time that makes us really appreciate him that much more.

What a glorious day that will be when Kobe comes back for his first game since the injury :jam2:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby checkers09 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:01 pm

Better Late Than Never
Looking at Kobe Bryant’s injury from the perspective of the reluctant fan.

With Kobe Bryant, it always felt like you had to pick sides.

Were you riding with Kobe or Shaq? Who was the realer player, Kobe or Iverson? If you had to pick one player to carry your team would it be Kobe, T-Mac or Vince? Who is really better, Kobe or Jordan?

People think it’s a new phenomenon, this always quiescent argument about Kobe vs LeBron. No, that sort of debate has dogged Kobe his entire career. His basketball journey is as much about the foes he’s vanquished as it is about the skills he’s mastered. That’s why it’s fitting that when news broke last week about his season-ending injury, Kobe immediately turned to battle imagery to describe his mindset. But this time the stakes feel higher than ever before.

Kobe Bryant’s ruptured Achilles tendon is dominating the sports news right now because that’s how people react when a legend falls. Breathless updates on Kobe’s condition are impossible to escape. Facebook timelines and Twitter feeds are dominated by angry rants and glowing hagiographies. Everyone is trying to put Kobe’s injury in perspective; not just for the current season or Lakers’ franchise, but for the NBA as a whole. The basketball world knew Kobe’s career was nearing its sunset, but people were prepared for a gradual fade to black, not a sudden eclipse. This is uncertain territory.

Typically, by the time sports legends leave the stage, the audience is ready for them to go. Rare are the players like Jim Brown and Barry Sanders who refuse to give the public those sad final chapters for their bodies struggling to do what their brains tell them is still possible.

Although Kobe discussed retirement on several occasions this season, it was always hard to take his word. Just a couple weeks ago, Kobe joked that unlike most of the basketball world he didn’t have time to watch the NCAA Tournament. It wasn’t an issue of a pressing schedule, but instead Kobe believed that he was still so dominant, college players should carve out time to watch him work. That’s how Kobe rolls; that’s how he’s always rolled. Unlike some stars who grudgingly accept the expectations and responsibilities of greatness, Kobe always rushed headlong into that particular lover’s embrace.

More than any other player, it seems like Kobe was built for this. There are apocryphal stories about a young Kobe living in Italy, alternating his time between prophesying about his future place in basketball’s pantheon and challenging grown men to play one-on-one. The media and fans never had to force Kobe to compare himself to other players because it was clear he constantly made those comparisons on his own. Kobe embraced measuring sticks, and he later embraced his role as The Measuring Stick. In his mind there was no other path to greatness.

But still, when I chose sides I didn’t pick Kobe. He was the media darling, the Chosen One long before LeBron. If Allen Iverson and his ilk were the spare tire left on the NBA’s waistline after it birthed Michael Jordan, then Kobe was the Insanity workout that would restore the League’s former glory. He was the Heir Apparent, the Golden Boy who had the smile, background and game needed to set things right.

But to me, he also was the poser who trotted out floppy fishing caps and hoop earrings after a certain Legend bamboozled the world into thinking they were cool. Kobe shot too much, complained too often and apologized just about never. Kobe wasn’t my guy. He wasn’t my guy at all.

But it was impossible not to appreciate him. In fact, it could be argued that every true fan of the game has felt the seductive allure of Kobe’s game at some point. Part of it is the deadly array of moves that he could unleash instantly. Some of it is the encyclopedic knowledge of how to attack any defender that borders on true genius. His skill set is so varied that there is nothing beyond him on the floor, granted it’s what he wants to do.

That was the bugaboo though: What did Kobe want to do? In his quest to scale basketball’s Mount Olympus, Kobe understood there would be tough choices. He embraced a brutal workout regimen that challenged his body and mental fortitude. Where others rested on their laurels, Kobe constantly tinkered with his game, searching for that edge, that new skill. No one has worked harder than Kobe at becoming great. Some have worked just as hard, but none have worked harder.

Yet, Kobe never understood the easy camaraderie needed to lead other men. He never grasped how important it was to make those lesser mortals, the ones who must serve as cannon fodder, not just accept their sacrificial deaths, but seek them willingly for your glory. Kobe could take and make any shot on the floor, but he always struggled with understanding the cost-benefit analysis that every leader must perform. Just because I can, does it mean I should?

When news of Kobe’s injury first became clear, he slowly let the world into his mind. He pulled back the veil and showed the public his frustration, his anger and even a little of his fear at this possible end for his career. What that glimpse did was two-fold. First, it confirmed that Kobe is who the world always knew he was. In his now-legendary Facebook rant, Kobe told everyone that he was preparing for a battle with a bear, and if they were wise, they should seek God’s assistance for the bear. The world would expect nothing less.

But, that glimpse also made it impossible not to root for Kobe to succeed. He clearly knows the odds are against him ever approaching the same level of greatness given his age and the severity of the injury. He understands how much work it’s going to take, and how likely it is that effort will still be in vain. Yet, Kobe, for now, plans to try. He can’t imagine not trying. People who can’t respect that level of commitment and perseverance, even for something as trivial as basketball, do themselves a disservice. Yes, it’s always been about picking sides with Kobe, and he’s never been my guy. That is, he’s never been my guy until now.

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/20 ... han-never/

Yet as I watched him Monday, I could not help think how little it mattered and how right he is. He is not fading into the shadows. He does not know how to go out that way.[.]
checkers09

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:11 pm

Awesome f***** read :jam2:
Chillbongo

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:32 pm

I think Kobe is going a little crazy sitting and doing nothing :man10:

http://instagram.com/p/YMrTyARNo8/#

kobebryantYES! Dominate the boot. Dominate tendons. Dominate the cast. Dominate rehab. Dominate dominating demure dominants domination. Wtf u ask?!? "Your Welcome" #dominatehashtags

Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:38 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

The dude is losing his mind. I love it.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby DarthRekal on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:46 pm

Weezy wrote:I think Kobe is going a little crazy sitting and doing nothing :man10:

http://instagram.com/p/YMrTyARNo8/#

kobebryantYES! Dominate the boot. Dominate tendons. Dominate the cast. Dominate rehab. Dominate dominating demure dominants domination. Wtf u ask?!? "Your Welcome" #dominatehashtags

:man10: vicodin talkin
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Wow, that SLAM article almost made me shed a tear no joke. If it takes something like this for some to appreciate Kobe it's definitely late, but like he said, better late than never. I still believe Kobe will be appreciated more when he's retired and people can look back not in the moment while he's the enemy.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Thenextgreat on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:51 pm

Have the "Should the Lakers Amnesty Kobe" discussions started yet? I'm sure they will...
Thenextgreat

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:55 pm

Thenextgreat wrote:Have the "Should the Lakers Amnesty Kobe" discussions started yet? I'm sure they will...

Uh, yeah, days ago. Just look here

http://www.clublakers.com/lakers-discussion/would-you-amnesty-kobe-t137658.html

Or watch any ESPN show, it's a topic on all of them.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:08 pm

man! that was an awesome read
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Thenextgreat on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:10 pm

Oh I see...thanks for the heads up....I hardly watch ESPN but this guy at work was telling me this was a huge discussion on PTI yesterday...I was really shocked but from a business perspective I guess I shouldn't be...the Irony here ..smh..
Thenextgreat

Postby boquilla on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:31 pm

Kobe Bryant ‏@kobebryant

And to think some said we wouldn't make it.. #keepcalm #believe #makeplayoffs now #makehistory
boquilla

Postby OX1947 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 pm

All this amazing technology and yet they still havent solved the red or white eyes in pictures. Can someone splain that to me?
OX1947

Postby Ras Algethi on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:30 pm

LOL Kobe needs to lay off those hashtags. 4-5 hash tags every tweet.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:33 pm

kobe's hopped up on pain meds and it's awesome :man10:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby JSM on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:40 pm

Kobe Bryant ‏@kobebryant 19m
Can the talk of trading @paugasol come to a cease now??
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:46 pm

Kobe Bryant ‏@kobebryant 10m

Playoff promise fulfilled #ontothenext

:jam2:
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:15 pm

He did say we WILL make the playoffs, and while he wasn't there to help clinch it, he got us as far as he could, and you have to love his never give up attitude.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby checkers09 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:19 am

Kobe Bryant ‏@kobebryant 4m
Steve Blake = Vino Bianco ha!

Kobe Bryant ‏@kobebryant 1m
“@CountOnVic: @kobebryant Pau = Sangria?” Lmao!!

Yet as I watched him Monday, I could not help think how little it mattered and how right he is. He is not fading into the shadows. He does not know how to go out that way.[.]
checkers09

Postby robKBMJ on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:26 am

I hate not being able to watch Kobe play. But I guess he hates it even more.
robKBMJ

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion