Kobe Discussion: Shutting it down; Puts Lakers FO on blast

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion

Postby kenzo on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:35 pm

XXIV wrote:
therealdeal wrote:When it comes to game time decisions, I feel like Kobe almost always goes out there.

Same here. If it was something more serious it wouldn't even be a game time decision, the decision would have already been made. I just hope they're not hiding something from us.

Or it's a game time decision just because it's Kobe. It could be a "no go" with any other player.
kenzo

Postby Juronimo on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:49 pm

The Rock wrote:Last time Kobe sat out an opening game on Halloween, this happened

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=261031013

VIdeo: http://v.classone.cn/cshow/3C3ZHBXX.shtml [NSFW ads on the side of the Game highlights made by Cachooka]

Luke and Lamar played out of their minds that night

I remember that game. This was after Lamar lost his son to SIDS. That was the best game he ever had as a Laker, it was quite an emotional performance.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby OX1947 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:53 pm

Juronimo wrote:
The Rock wrote:Last time Kobe sat out an opening game on Halloween, this happened

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=261031013

VIdeo: http://v.classone.cn/cshow/3C3ZHBXX.shtml [NSFW ads on the side of the Game highlights made by Cachooka]

Luke and Lamar played out of their minds that night

I remember that game. This was after Lamar lost his son to SIDS. That was the best game he ever had as a Laker, it was quite an emotional performance.

ugh, that was a terrible terrible thing that happened. I seriously get sick to my stomach when I remember that situation. Lamar was nails and I would have been dead, nothing. No way I would have been able to play, I would have been done forever.
OX1947

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:13 pm

I would just rest him. If he aggravates it we'll be in even deeper s***, and I think our big 3 will be okay without him for a few games.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby The Rock on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:19 pm

WTF...

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2012/10/29/lakers-divided-on-whether-kobe-bryant-will-play-in-season-opener/

Will Kobe Bryant play?

He sat out of his fifth practice Monday since suffering a strained and bruised right foot in the Lakers’ exhibition game Oct. 21 against Sacramento. Bryant also missed the team’s last two preseason games. And against Dallas, the Lakers are considering him a game-time decision.

“He loves the big lights,” Lakers forward Metta World Peace said. Kobe’s never afraid of criticism. He’s never been afraid to play hurt and not play well or play hurt and play great. His mind is different from other people’s.”

Still, Bryant hasn’t picked up a basketball for eight days. He’s spent that time receiving constant treatment on his knee. Lakers Coach Mike Brown revealed he had an MRI, but provided no details on what it revealed. He even skipped the Lakers’ trip to San Diego last week in their preseason finale to avoid the 2 1/2 hour bus ride down and back. Bryant hasn’t spoken to reporters for a week and sounded in a dour mood last Tuesday when he conceded his foot is “pretty sore.”

Bryant suffered the injury when he tripped over Sacramento forward Thomas Robinson while cutting into the lane. Bryant, who scored 21 points on 6 of 12 shooting, stayed in the game before discovering the pain worsening.

“We would like to have him,” Lakers forward Pau Gasol said. “But for health issues and reasons, we would be more concerned with not having him later on for a long stretch.”

So instead, the Lakers are bracing for the possibility Bryant won’t play. Lakers reserve guard Jodie Meeks. who’s averaged 5.9 points on 26.7 percent shooting this preseason, played with the first unit during the portion of Monday’s practice that was open to the media.

“He hasn’t practice in a while so we understand what we have to do without him in a game, Lakers center Dwight Howard said. “He’ll be okay and will get stronger every day. He’s trying his best to come back and play.”

Bryant still exerted his influence, though. He mostly spent Monday’s practice receiving treatment on his knee, sometimes on a training table from the side of the court so he could still view practice. At one point, Bryant stood up and talked to Lakers Coach Mike Brown during a drill. At other moments, Brown recalled Bryant making a hissing noise to get his teammates’ attention.

“Everybody knows that’s Kobe’s way of calling anybody,” Brown said. “So you’ve got 30 heads turning to look. He’s watching what’s going on in practice. He’ll start coaching from the training table. He may coach an individual or he may have something that may help the team.

“Right now I just look at him as an assistant coach. He may not like to hear that because he because he doesn’t want to take a big pay cut, but he’s been in tune, involved with practice every day.”

Still, that pales from playing on the court. Bryant’s appeared spry in six preseason games, averaging 20.4 points on 50% shooting in 26.8 minutes. But the Lakers’ star has had to monitor his injuries closely. From a punctured right shoulder that has since healed and his currently strained right foot, Bryant has missed six practices and three preseason games.

If there is one guy that is capable of sitting out and playing a game, it’s Kobe,” Brown said. “He’s extremely intelligent and he’s been around the block. Him sitting might be better than him being out there every day getting banged up in practice.”

http://sulia.com/channel/la-lakers/f/57ccd46c-411d-4342-b36b-18915a1eb398/?source=twitter

Bear in mind when it comes to Kobe: He played with a shin injury last season. It was only AFTER playing that he ...

... realized he had to sit out eight of the Lakers' last 10 regular-season games to allow it to heal. If Kobe thinks he can heal something while still playing in games, he'll play in the games. He did the same thing with his torn wrist ligament at the start of last season: The bones in his wrist stayed aligned without the torn ligament, and when he was advised it was likely they could stay aligned and he could heal the ligament while still playing -- he played. The safe route of surgery would've cost Kobe three months of a lockout-shortened four-month season and changed the entire complexion of Mike Brown's first Lakers season

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby XXIV on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:07 pm

This is exactly what I didn't want to hear, why keep this a secret?
XXIV

Postby Tragic on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:10 pm

His Knee? That must be a mistake...I thought it was just his foot that was hurt
Tragic

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:12 pm

What's the big deal? It's just the first game of the regular season. Besides we're playing an undermanned Dallas team. We should be able to handle them without Kobe. If he isn't healthy to play than sit him. Can't afford yo have him to suffer a serious injury that'll hamper him all season long. Let him get 100 percent healthy than bring him back.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Finwë on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:19 pm

Tragic wrote:His Knee? That must be a mistake...I thought it was just his foot that was hurt

Exactly. That report has to be BS. I've been on twitter all this time and NO ONE said anything, no mention of an MRI or any quotes of the sort from Mike Brown.. Nowhere did I read about his knee being the issue either.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby XXIV on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:22 pm

I've been researching and can't find anything on the MRI or knee either. Hopefully it's fake.
XXIV

Postby The Rock on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:28 pm

From the OC register

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/howard-376003-right-foot.html

Bryant was re-evaluated by team trainer Gary Vitti and the rest of the medical staff over the weekend, including undergoing an MRI.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby kenzo on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:30 pm

All this no update BS is making me worried :man3:
kenzo

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Yeah, he got checked up, got an MRI, and was examined by Vitti.

And he's STILL a game-time decision. I think everyone should calm down...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:35 pm

^^ I'm not tripping, I just don't like conflicting reports, especially when it's as flagrant as saying the problem is the knee and not the foot ...
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:36 pm

Probably a typo. We saw a picture of Kobe icing his ankle the other day, not his knee.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:45 pm

therealdeal wrote:Probably a typo. We saw a picture of Kobe icing his ankle the other day, not his knee.

Maybe it was his other knee lolol olollol
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:49 pm

Well in that picture he posted on Facebook, it only shows one leg, me thinks they cut off the other leg.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby The Rock on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:51 pm

I dont want him to play even if hes 80%. Just rest. Its the Mavericks, we can handle them without him.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Finwë on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:09 pm

[quote]Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan
Lakers are 28-29 without Kobe in the post-Shaq era. Still no official word whether he's playing Tues vs. Dallas (strained right foot).[/quote
Reporters still talking about his foot. That knee report was probably a typo like you guys said
Finwë

Postby XXIV on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:11 pm

We won't find out till tomorrow, but hopefully it really is nothing too serious where he'll have to be out for an extended amount of time. We can afford to rest him early on, but at the same time we need him to build chemistry with this new team.
XXIV

Postby MadMax on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:50 pm

Getting stronger. Not sure what it means for tomorrow night just yet but it’s much better than it was a week ago when I could barely walk. I hate not practicing. It drives me crazy! The training staff has been great. Mr. Laker, Gary Vitti, and the great Judy Seto (the first female trainer in the NBA) have been working their magic.

I will know more after shoot around tomorrow am. It's still painful to raise up on my toes but, it’s strong. The decision to be made is whether the injury can heal while playing on it or if it will make it worse. Either way, I'm excited about the start of the season. Hopefully we can win a game or two finally ;-)
Till tomorrow..
Mamba out

http://www.facebook.com/Kobe
MadMax

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:56 pm

MadMax wrote:
Getting stronger. Not sure what it means for tomorrow night just yet but it’s much better than it was a week ago when I could barely walk. I hate not practicing. It drives me crazy! The training staff has been great. Mr. Laker, Gary Vitti, and the great Judy Seto (the first female trainer in the NBA) have been working their magic.

I will know more after shoot around tomorrow am. It's still painful to raise up on my toes but, it’s strong. [b]The decision to be made is whether the injury can heal while playing on it or if it will make it worse.[/b] Either way, I'm excited about the start of the season. Hopefully we can win a game or two finally ;-)
Till tomorrow..
Mamba out

http://www.facebook.com/Kobe

I think the biggest thing I took from that message he gave us was the part I bolded and underlined. Based on that, I seriously doubt Kobe plays tomorrow, because in my opinion it is the type of injury that can get worse if he plays on it.

Now if he said something along the lines of if it feels better tomorrow than I could play, then its up in the air and no one knows for sure. I just think again based on what Kobe said the decision will be about which is if he can do any further damage or injure it more than he won't play.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby The Rock on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:09 pm

There we go. Just sit, relax and heal up. Take the first couple of weeks off if necessary. We can afford to.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:29 pm

The Rock wrote:There we go. Just sit, relax and heal up. Take the first couple of weeks off if necessary. We can afford to.

Exactly... It's a long season. This is an older team. Don't rush things.

I'm more concerned about what's happening come April...
LakerFanIam

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:58 pm

There's no way he's missing the season opener for one of the biggest seasons of his career
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion