Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: pulls off a rare triple single

Postby SpencerHarrison on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:26 pm

khmrP wrote:
The Rock wrote:^ Billups got him on 2 3s, he had a hand in his face what more do you want him to do? Everyone else was getting abused on one on one situations especially Nash and MWP

He got lost plenty on butler too and billups get by him too not just the 3.

They hit their open 3s, we missed. Kobe closed out, but he was having to move around and compensate for a LOT of mismatch problems early on. We took Griffin out with doubling after his ridiculous tear early on, and gambled by leaving shooters with some space. It didn't work. It's one game.

But yeah, Kobe came to play and win. Damn sight better than D12. I weep for the day 24 doesn't suit up for the Lakers and we're left with that whiney bum.
SpencerHarrison

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:27 pm

Yep, Kobe looks great, and the team looks like 2005 all over again.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby noobiew on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:35 pm

What a nightmare season for Kobe, I feel bad for him.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby khmrP on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:37 pm

Kobe is a LAZY defender, anyone arguing this point is out of their mind. Yes he brings it every night offensively and does everything he can to help this team win but defensively he is LAZY and ball watches. That ballhawking D only lasted for a few games but I guess it wore on him. Yea he's old and got a lot of milage but again LAZY is LAZY dont care for excuses.
khmrP

Postby The Rock on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:39 pm

^ he was the guy doubling Griffin, Blake did absolutely jack in the 2nd half & they kept finding the open shooter who turned out to be Kobe's man

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby SpencerHarrison on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:39 pm

Kobe has played lazy D this year. He didn't tonight. It was tactical, but the Lakers got burned. That's how it goes sometimes.
SpencerHarrison

Postby The Rock on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:40 pm

Damn
https://twitter.com/ESPNStatsInfo/status/302305779489312768

Kobe Bryant had a +/- of -35 vs Clippers, the worst of his career.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:42 pm

That stat is why I don't really get why +/- matters or is cited so much. I understand what it means, but to me it's a dumb stat, I've seen nights where the best player out there even in a win can be like a -2 or some nonsense.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:42 pm

The Rock wrote:^ he was the guy doubling Griffin, Blake did absolutely jack in the 2nd half & they kept finding the open shooter who turned out to be Kobe's man

Blake didn't do jack in the 2nd half cause clipps stop going to him nothing to do with the D cause Cp3 starting having his way, Barnes/Butler/Billups ALL got open looks with Kobe supposedly the defender and he was either late or not there at all.
khmrP

Postby SpencerHarrison on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:45 pm

khmrP wrote:
The Rock wrote:^ he was the guy doubling Griffin, Blake did absolutely jack in the 2nd half & they kept finding the open shooter who turned out to be Kobe's man

Blake didn't do jack in the 2nd half cause clipps stop going to him nothing to do with the D cause Cp3 starting having his way, Barnes/Butler/Billups ALL got open looks with Kobe supposedly the defender and he was either late or not there at all.

Griffin kicked the ball out because every time he got an entry pass, eyes were on him looking to double. Every single time in the second half. It was a decision to let the shooters beat us, as opposed to being overpowered inside. That was plain as day to see from watching the game.
SpencerHarrison

Postby thkthebest on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:49 pm

Bla bla bla. Kobe shoots too much. Kobe passes too much. Kobe can't play with the team. Kobe had too many turnovers. There are no other scorers. Bla bla bla.

I see that we gave 125 points. Until our defense becomes even semi-respectable, it doesn't matter what Kobe does or what anybody else does offensively. The Lakers will remain a mediocre team.

We are so unathletic. The Lakers need to stress defense, and go over defensive philosophies until they have it ingrained in their idiotic minds. They need to overcome their lack of athleticism by communicating and rotating before the balls gets to the other players. Watching the ball go to Billups (or whoever) and then running toward him is retarded defense.

Weezy wrote:That stat is why I don't really get why +/- matters or is cited so much. I understand what it means, but to me it's a dumb stat, I've seen nights where the best player out there even in a win can be like a -2 or some nonsense.

One game samples don't mean much in the player's overall value. Looking at just the +/- doesn't mean much as well. We were blown out and Kobe played 39 minutes. All the +/- story tells in this case is that we got blown out so whoever plays more minutes is likely to have a worse +/-. Dwight's is nearly as bad in 7 less minutes. Nash is basically a -1 per minute.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:51 pm

Kobe being a lazy defender by whatever standards is not the "main" reason we lost. This team just isn't equipped or in sync. It's pretty painful to watch. But like I said you can't expect him to go out there and get points, a certain amount of assists and be able to guard the opposing team's hottest player. It's just too much. The entire team needs to be locked in defensively not just Kobe, unless you want one player guarding everyone which is is impossible. He did the best he could the Clippers just ran us out of the building. Nothing more to it.
Jazzygirl205

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:08 am

Ummm does the Clippers being a very good team and also being really hot tonight count for anything? Sure better defense could have cut it down a little if we could play it but they were knocking em down.
LTLakerFan

Postby L4L on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:33 am

Just going to leave this here:
http://www.82games.com/1213/1213LAL5.HTM

Might be interesting for some of you to note that opposing SGs are literally the only position on the floor that underproduces against us compared to the league average.
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby The Rock on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:38 am

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/302319879338475520

Kobe not naming names, but ... "After we lose by 20 or 30 points, we definitely can’t be laughing and joking around"

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:45 am

L4L wrote:Just going to leave this here:

Might be interesting for some of you to note that opposing SGs are literally the only position on the floor that underproduces against us compared to the league average.

No no no, Kobe needs to play perfect on offense and 1st team all defense caliber defense again, it's only his 17th season he can still do it all and should be expected to. :nono5:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby thkthebest on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:52 am

SGs have a lower PER on average so you can't really use "15" if you're comparing by position.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:56 am

Weezy wrote:

No no no, Kobe needs to play perfect on offense and 1st team all defense caliber defense again, it's only his 17th season he can still do it all and should be expected to. :nono5:

lazy is lazy, I dont care for the reason, keep giving him those excuse cause its not gona stop his man from getting WIDE open.
khmrP

Postby Finwë on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:56 am

After a game where we give up 125 points playing ZERO defense and giving up 17 off rebounds, Dwight is a ghost for big stretches, Nash completely underperforms, we don't hit 3s, and Kobe actually has a good balanced game shooting well from the field, ... OF COURSE the Kobe thread is the one with the most action and on top of every other thread in LD. Only makes sense right?
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby khmrP on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:57 am

The Rock wrote:https://twitter.com/mcten/status/302319879338475520

Kobe not naming names, but ... "After we lose by 20 or 30 points, we definitely can’t be laughing and joking around"

yes more passive aggressive jabs to the media, just what need more team building :jam2:
khmrP

Postby L4L on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:05 am

thkthebest wrote:SGs have a lower PER on average so you can't really use "15" if you're comparing by position.

The Lakers are 3rd in the NBA in net differential at the SG position. Bryant, individually, is second only to Wade. His 12.4 PER allowed is not a problem regardless of any positional considerations that you want to take into account. Opposing SGs are shooting only 46.5% against him. In terms of both points allowed and FG%, the Lakers are in top 10 in terms of SG defense. SG is the only position in which this is the case.

Bryant is just about the only thing "right" with this team and his defensive woes are greatly exaggerated.
L4L
Clublakers Moderator

Postby revgen on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:08 am

Opposing SG's actually have to play defense against us. Our 2 bigs are hurt and underperforming, and our PG is old and coming off ankle surgery.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby dodgers33089 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:09 am

khmrP wrote:
yes more passive aggressive jabs to the media, just what need more team building :jam2:

True but you can't fault Kobe on this particular incident much. I mean, you have a team that is a collection of All-Stars with playoff hopes fading and getting beat up...no, BLOWN OUT by a team that in the "past" has been utter trash, a fight for LA territory...all this, and Dwight Howard looks totally carefree? You would think, at least, he'd show some passion, some frustration over a loss, but no! all smiles here.
Look, I havent to this point crapped on Howard or sad much of any thing about the team, but that display of utter lack of interest of what is CURRENTLY AT STAKE for the team, is frankly unforgivable. Shame on Howard
"I guess for Truthers the great thing about Google is that it abolishes context automatically, thus saving their precious reserves of stupid for more important tasks."

dodgers33089

Postby revgen on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:10 am

^Howard has done that forever. Even in Orlando he would smile and joke around when his team was losing. I'm not a big fan of it, and it looks like Kobe isn't either.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Armani on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:30 am

Twilight years... great offense, average D. It's sad to see him stuck on a mediocre team... he's still a Top 5 player.
Armani

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion