Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Kobe Discussion: #1225 (705)

Postby Weezy on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Grant Hill remembers Kobe hitting those ridiculous shots in his face in the 2010 playoffs to close out the Lakers/Suns series.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:44 pm

^ and he should. Those were incredible, rare shots.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby XXIV on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:49 pm

Weezy wrote:Grant Hill remembers Kobe hitting those ridiculous shots in his face in the 2010 playoffs to close out the Lakers/Suns series.

One of the greatest playoff moments that I remember watching.
XXIV

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:18 pm

XXIV wrote:
Weezy wrote:Grant Hill remembers Kobe hitting those ridiculous shots in his face in the 2010 playoffs to close out the Lakers/Suns series.

OOO Yes :bow:

"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Finwë on Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:47 pm

Sorry if already posted.
Some interesting quotes about Dwight and about retirement:
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby shoe on Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:51 pm

^ Thanks for posting :jam2:

"He had plenty of opportunities...that relationship was never gonna work" Kobe on dwight...perfect way of summing it up.
shoe

Postby lakersyunowin on Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:42 pm

what a difference 3 years makes.......
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Chillez on Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:37 am

I cant wait until Kobe is back better than ever.. I predict his return late Nov or early Dec. Off-topic question, Where would you guys rank Kobe on top 10 GOAT list? I have Kobe in #3 to #4 range currently only MJ and Kareem resume were greater and the better basketball players. In my opinion anyway. I have Kobe slightly above Magic for the greatest Laker ever.
Last edited by Chillez on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chillez

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:11 am

I think he may come back on November 22 against .... the Warriors ... we have 4 days off between our latest game on Sunday 17th and November 22nd

The Mavs announcers on LP said a Lakers "reporter" told them he thought his twitter message was implying he will come back on Nov 15th against the Grizz : #bear # blackout ( 1st time we will wear the black Hollywood night jerseys) ... theories :man10:
wcsoldier81

Postby havoc33 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:37 am

crampledkid wrote:I always felt he was the
hardest to guard. Shoot, I
want to know what he’s
thinking in certain situations
and where he’s trying to get
to. He was a competitor. It’s hard to say that and
acknowledge that. I didn’t
mind guarding LeBron and
Melo and KD, but Kobe used
to give me a lot of problems. -nice to hear this from Grant Hill

source?
havoc33

Postby Finwë on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:55 am

Chillez wrote:I cant wait until Kobe is back better than ever.. I predict his return late Nov or early Dec. Off-topic question, Where would you guys rank Kobe on top 10 GOAT list? I have Kobe in #3 to #4 range currently only MJ and Kareem resume were greater and the better basketball players. In my opinion anyway. I have Kobe slightly above Magic for the greatest Laker ever.

I agree with your ranking, top 3-4, top 5 for sure
Finwë

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:07 pm

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan 32m
Sorry, Lakers theorists. Kobe says he's not coming back against Memphis next week. #bearhunt has a different meaning.
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:09 pm

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 29m
Kobe says he considers himself 2 wks into his 3 wk training period he needs to consider a return, but doesn't have a practice date in mind
Reply Retweet Favorite

Dave McMenamin ‏@mcten 32m
Kobe just spoke to the media. He says his last week of rehab involved much more sprinting, but no cutting/lateral moves yet
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby XXIV on Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:26 pm

He's still a ways away from returning, which is fine. I want him to be 100% moving forward.
XXIV

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:16 pm

I don't care he can take as long as he wants. I had a dream about him saying he's retiring though. Kind of made me say "Whoa" it was so realistic. Maybe he's teetering with that thought.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:21 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
XXIV wrote:

I remember after this series fans, even one's who weren't Suns fans called him a arrogant jerk for slapping the coach's hip after that shot. Kobe probably can't even wipe his nose perfect without people accusing him of being arrogant. :man10:
Jazzygirl205

Postby Ras Algethi on Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:49 pm

We just can not score down the stretch. It's when you need Kobe the most.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Marv Albert said that Kobe was targeting late December as his return; where did he get that information? Anybody know?
dwighthowardsdad

Postby XXIV on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:07 am

Jazzygirl205 wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:
XXIV wrote:

I remember after this series fans, even one's who weren't Suns fans called him a arrogant jerk for slapping the coach's hip after that shot. Kobe probably can't even wipe his nose perfect without people accusing him of being arrogant. :man10:

I recall a Sun's fan even cheering for the Lakers towards the end of this game. Kobe converts fans right on the spot. :man10:
XXIV

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:45 am

Ras Algethi wrote:We just can not score down the stretch. It's when you need Kobe the most.

which is funny cause we all know people complain all to hell about Kobe taking over games late (unitl he hits a big shot). Catch 22!
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:52 am

Take your time Mamba this team is playing .500 ball right now not too bad...

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Balance&Options24 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:30 am

Posted this in the Howard thread but this is just too funny, Kobe the troll

."I think he'll have a great year," Bryant said of Howard. "He's always very determined to be more of an offensive player. Here in Houston he'll have the opportunity to do that. He always wanted to compete with some of the all-time greats, the Chamberlains and Shaqs and Olajuwons and so forth. This year should be the year where he starts putting up those kind of numbers — 25, 26 (points per game), stuff like that."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... e/3471389/

He was being Phil-esque, lol@ the article actually believing Kobe is being diplomatic, he is trolling Dwight!!! Lol
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby karacha on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:36 am

Trolololol. :man10: :man10:
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:01 am

HOUSTON -- Standing on the exit ramp of the Toyota Center, Kobe Bryant exchanged hugs and handshakes with a conga line of well-wishers. What started as a private conversation with his agent, Rob Pelinka, quickly became a receiving line.

James Harden, who shares the same agent and who was instrumental in luring Dwight Howard away from Bryant and to Houston, got the loudest pop when Bryant greeted him with a firm slap of the hand and two forearm taps on his back. Former Rocket Tracy McGrady came by to share an embrace, and some current Rockets did, too.

Bryant isn't back in any meaningful way yet, still pushing his surgically repaired Achilles tendon through what he described as "the most challenging, the most tedious part" of his rehab. But his team, the team Howard left behind as a free agent this past summer, had done him proud on this night.

"To come here and perform the way that we performed, it's really important for us," Bryant said after the Lakers spoiled Howard's first game against his former team with a dramatic, 99-98 victory against the Rockets on Thursday night -- culminated by Steve Blake's 3-pointer over Howard with 1.3 seconds left.

Take this as you will, but Bryant will have you believe that he got no extra joy out of this, the sixth game of the Lakers' season -- what would've been the 1,245th regular season game of his great career had his Achilles not popped this past April -- a victory against Howard in his new home.

"No," Bryant said, shooting me a Kobe death stare near the exit to the arena. "We needed a win though, so it's good to get a good win."

Bryant has been watching the Lakers' every move in the early stages of this, his 18th season, and he admits that sometimes he does so with an eye toward what kind of team this will be when he comes back -- with a curiosity about what he's coming back for. Most recently, Bryant had witnessed a demoralizing loss Tuesday night in Dallas, a night when the Mavericks -- not exactly championship contenders -- "really jumped on us," he said.

On this night, he witnessed another one of 82, but one that perhaps will close a chapter on the one miserable season he played with Howard in LA.

The hero was Blake, who circled Nash at the top of the 3-point arc on an inbounds play with 3.4 seconds left and popped out for the winning basket. Just as Blake broke toward the sideline, Nash screened Jeremy Lin -- hugged him, really -- and Pau Gasol (1 for 10 in the game) picked off Patrick Beverley, who tried to cover for Lin. Neither got there, so Howard was left to lunge fruitlessly toward his former teammate. He never made it, either.

After leaving the arena, Bryant tweeted a tribute to Blake: "#vinoblanco."

"Guys just kind of messed up on the play," said Howard, who had 15 points and 14 rebounds. "It happens. ... There are a lot of things we need to work on."

As Howard walked off the floor after the Rockets' final, empty possession, he sought out Lin to inquire about the defensive mixup. It was a role he played often on last year's Lakers.

"I felt like it was good," Blake said. "But you never really know until it goes in."

Something else that Howard often experienced in LA came back to haunt him here: the dreaded Hack-a-Dwight. It's a potent strategy that Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni has described as "not entertaining for anybody."

"Yeah, but that doesn't mean you're not gonna use it," D'Antoni said with a smile after the game. "I'm not crazy. But if I were to change it, I'd probably change the rule."

On one occasion in the fourth when D'Antoni was employing the strategy, Howard raced down the court with his trademark smile, trying to avoid the contact. Entertaining or not, the strategy helped the Lakers cut a five-point lead to two in the final 2:40, setting up Blake's dramatic game-winner. Howard was 5 for 12 from the line in the fourth.

It was a small measure of redemption for D'Antoni, whose offensive schemes and refusal to give in to Howard and make him the team's No. 1 scoring option played important roles behind the scenes in Howard's departure.

"I mean down there somewhere, yeah, I'm human, and it's great," D'Antoni said. "But he made his choice which is good, and you've got to respect that. He's fine with it and he's a great player."

Meanwhile, the great player Howard no longer wanted to play with is ramping up his efforts to return. Bryant has often referred recently to "pushing" his leg harder during rehab, by which he means increasing the speed, intensity, frequency and duration of straight-line sprinting. He isn't going laterally yet; that's the next step.

The hardest one.

"You continue to elevate it until you get to a point where you can come back and perform at a high level," Bryant said. "... I've been pushing it pretty hard all week."

Bryant is in the final stages of his rehab, but the uncertainty ahead is why he continues to resist estimating a timetable for his return. Too much is at stake; much can still go wrong.

"Honestly, I couldn't tell you," he said. "I don't want to say something and then misjudge it. It's tough to measure."

So how will he know?

"Once I get out there and start moving side-to-side and start doing more change-of-direction things," he said. " ... The biggest thing with the Achilles is you have to be able to maintain your stability. So what happens when the muscle fatigues, it can't maintain that. So a lot of people with Achilles injuries lose their explosiveness. They try to make a move and now that's giving on them and they can't maintain that. So you lose that pop. And that last bit is where you really fight to make sure the muscle is strong enough to be able to maintain that."

He paused a moment to say hello to someone else, to dole out another hug.

"The explosiveness for the Achilles is always the most challenging, the most tedious part of the deal," he said.

Tedious would be a good way to describe his one season with Howard in LA; a perfect way to sum up the silliness of all this hype surrounding Howard's first game against his former team.

Bryant was watching, and if he felt even an ounce of extra joy, he wasn't revealing it. That will have to wait for the night when it's time to express himself on the court again.

The Lakers return here in January, and will host Howard's Rockets at Staples Center in the first game after the All-Star break. If Bryant is more than a spectator, you better believe it'll mean something.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/writer/ken ... e-of-rehab

Ken Berger wrote this story after the Houston game; I liked it, so I decided to post it for the rest of you guys...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby shoe on Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:04 pm

^ Good read...

Thanks for posting it, Mr. Howard
shoe

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion