Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Kobe Discussion: Walking with the boot off (673)

Postby Finwë on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:17 pm

Good stuff, thanks for posting battle tested
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby FightOn on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:31 pm

Does anyone know if Kobe is willing to take a pay cut next season?
FightOn

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:52 pm

FightOn wrote:Does anyone know if Kobe is willing to take a pay cut next season?

Nobody knows but Kobe. If he wants to win though, he will take a pay but, it's the only way for us to sign good enough players to be a title contender.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby OX1947 on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:56 pm

No one can pay Kobe 30 million, so it's not a matter of will he take a pay cut, its he has to. Otherwise he makes nothing and retires.
OX1947

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:08 pm

I don't know that's it's a question of 30 mil, more like 20 mil. Nobody in this new NBA under this new CBA is getting 30 mil per season, a little over 20 is absolute max. So it's more like us Kobe willing to take half that at 10, or 8 like the best of the best role players (like Odom did to stay here), or even 5/6 MLE, in order to stay and win. He might ask for 20 mil, but if he expects that then we can only pay him and one other star, so if Dwight stay there's the star budget with those 2. Kobe's gotta take a lot less in order to get us a real "big 3" going forward.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:17 pm

I think he'll take a Garnett or a Duncan contract and end up at somewhere near 12 million. Hopefully less. We won't be able to sign anyone great if he's determined to hang on for more than that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:19 pm

I think Kobe's great enough and has enough motivation to the point where he'll fight back from this injury and prove he's still a $20 million kind of player. But he has to take a HUGE paycut if he wants to spend his last years fighting for a title. Hopefully he settles for no more than $10 million (which is about the same amount that Duncan's making).
Helljumper

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:10 am

There is the paycut question AND the " willing to adapt his game on the floor" too ... I don't think this is great news for our mid term future if Kobe still wants to be the main guy for 3 more seasons ... which is very likely .

He had a great offensive year but his complete lack of interest for the defensive side of the floor was a big pb ...
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:47 am

Complete lack of interest? Kobe shut down guys like Jennings and Irving for a stretch last season. I don't think he was disinterested. He was incapable of playing Superstar levels of offense, carrying the team that way, and then playing superstar levels of defense as well, carrying the team from the perimeter.

Kobe moving forward needs to be the 20/10 guy we saw for a while last season. Especially since he's still recovering from surgery. Let Dwight be the guy that carries the team for the season. Then do your thing in the playoffs.

I think he understands that and I think he'll do it.

One of the keys to that, and something he's admittedly thought about, is Duncan. He has said that he wants more rings because he needs to put more space between him and Duncan. You KNOW he heard all those people talk about how "if Duncan wins another ring, it'll be the Duncan/Kobe era not the Kobe/Duncan era". And if that's true, if Duncan at 37 can ride Tony Parker all the way to the Finals and STILL get that kind of credit, then why can't Kobe? If LeBron can get all the credit for winning this last Championship, then why can't Kobe? I think he sees that now and I think he'll adjust his game a bit so that he can placate Dwight more and win more games.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby ladam24 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:14 pm

therealdeal wrote:And if that's true, if Duncan at 37 can ride Tony Parker all the way to the Finals and STILL get that kind of credit, then why can't Kobe? If LeBron can get all the credit for winning this last Championship, then why can't Kobe?

Come, now. You know why.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:16 pm

ladam24 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:And if that's true, if Duncan at 37 can ride Tony Parker all the way to the Finals and STILL get that kind of credit, then why can't Kobe? If LeBron can get all the credit for winning this last Championship, then why can't Kobe?

Come, now. You know why.

I really don't anymore. Duncan might have won Finals MVP this go around. Did he deserve it? Not really. His ring count would have said he'd won 5 times in this era and no one would have said boo. They'd have given him all that credit. The same will go for Kobe, but he wants more space between himself and anyone else of this era.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:25 pm

therealdeal wrote:
ladam24 wrote:

Come, now. You know why.

I really don't anymore. Duncan might have won Finals MVP this go around. Did he deserve it? Not really. His ring count would have said he'd won 5 times in this era and no one would have said boo. They'd have given him all that credit. The same will go for Kobe, but he wants more space between himself and anyone else of this era.

My take on his comment would be you know why, because the media doesn't give Kobe slack like that. Some already try to downplay/lesen or even discredit his first 3 rings because Shaq was 1.A.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby ladam24 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:28 pm

Weezy wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
ladam24 wrote:

Come, now. You know why.

My take on his comment would be you know why, because the media doesn't give Kobe slack like that. Some already try to downplay/lesen or even discredit his first 3 rings because Shaq was 1.A.

This was my meaning.
"no matter what — no matter how hard, how far, or how many stand in my way, I remain determined."
ladam24

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:28 pm

No, I understand that point. I'm just saying I don't agree with it anymore. People aren't going to discredit a guy who comes back from an Achilles tear. It just won't happen. If he comes back and has a significant impact while winning a Championship, he'll get his credit.

And in the end, it's what Laker fans have always said: count the rings. It doesn't matter. None of the other stuff matters but how many rings a guy has. No one would say crap to Duncan for riding Parker there. No one would say crap to Kobe for riding Dwight there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:39 pm

He'll get credit, but if he's not the main reason we win I don't see him getting FULL credit like people were prepared to do with Duncan. For example, Duncan is respected for doing what he did at his age and after so long in the league, while Kobe barely gets credit for absolutely carrying us this season while being in the league LONGER than Duncan. I can totally see the media calling Kobe a part of a title team, no longer the MJ of a title team, so his new title doesn't mean as much or move him much up the all time list. But screw them, we'd know the truth, ring count and banner count is all that matters to us no matter what the media thinks.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:41 pm

Some would do that, but I'm not sure the popular thing will be beating up on a guy has recovered from a torn Achilles. Who does that, you know?

But like you said, the fans know and he knows. When the chips are down: he'd have six or seven rings. No one can dispute that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:44 pm

Who does that? The media, they are vicious when it comes to Kobe. I could see Kobe getting the Wade treatment if we won a title and he wasn't finals MVP, media acting like he wasn't there. But yeah, screw those guys, 6 or 7 rings on a resume years from now will speak for itself.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:30 pm

David West just agreed to a 3 year, 36M dollar contract.. We all want Kobe to take a pay cut, but if players like West are getting 12M, I'd understand a bit of the reluctancty.. JJ Reddick is getting almost 7M a year...
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:34 pm

If he wants to win, he'll do what it takes. I have faith in that.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:37 pm

Those players getting ridiculous deals is the exact reason we NEED Kobe to take a huge pay cut if we want to win.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby SK8 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:42 pm

Don't expect Kobe to get under 10$m per year, just no way, i mean my God, Kevin freaking Martin just got offer on 30$m for 4 years from Timberwolves :man3: :man3: :man3:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Weezy on Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:50 pm

Uncle Drew wrote:Don't expect Kobe to get under 10$m per year, just no way, i mean my God, Kevin freaking Martin just got offer on 30$m for 4 years from Timberwolves :man3: :man3: :man3:

It's not about what he's worth, he's worth a ton, it's about what he'll take so the team actually has money to spend like for example the Clippers do right now.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:41 am

Weezy wrote:
Uncle Drew wrote:Don't expect Kobe to get under 10$m per year, just no way, i mean my God, Kevin freaking Martin just got offer on 30$m for 4 years from Timberwolves :man3: :man3: :man3:

It's not about what he's worth, he's worth a ton, it's about what he'll take so the team actually has money to spend like for example the Clippers do right now.

Yeah I understand and wish that's the case when he does sign a new contract, just saying, I'd understand if anyone of that talent and worth was hesitant to take a pay cut just so his team could sign a much less talented player (like reddick or martin) for about the same kind of money.
If everyone that came here was taking pay cuts in order to win, then great, but if Kobe's the only one, and he happens to be better than pretty much all those guys, I'd understand if he felt that it was unfair.
Then again, he has made at least 20M in salary and endorsements each of the last 11 years lol.. so maybe he doesn't even mind
Finwë

Postby jlkr on Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:51 am

Duncan took less while Ginobili was still making $13m. But now Ginobili will definitely be asked to take less. So both of those guys taking less, that is how the Spurs will still be competitive.

I don't see any issue with asking Kobe to take a Duncan-like contract.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby kenzo on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:21 am

therealdeal wrote:If he wants to win, he'll do what it takes. I have faith in that.

I realy hope that you're right. Otherwise we're realy screwed.
kenzo

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion