Kobe Bryant Discussion: Reason for Lakers downfall?

Re: Wolverine Discussion: Shatters recovery timetable! (689)

Postby XXIV on Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:55 pm

Scnottaken wrote:There may not be people named "LeBron" in the top 1000 baby names, but "James" has been popular since before LeBron was born. His greatness has been foretold.
/sarcasm

Same thing with Michael and Jordan. :man4:
XXIV

Postby Basketball Fan on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:34 pm

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/2013/09/18 ... ably/?wt=2

NBA: You Idiot! Man Attempts Kobe Bryant’s Moving Car Jump & Fails Miserably

Kobe warned fans right from the beginning of the video — Don’t try this at home. Well it took some time, but someone did. SMH.
Remember when Kobe jumped over a moving Aston Martin in 2008 (you can refresh your memory HERE)? It didn’t end so well for a fan. Check out what happened when he attempted the car jump
Basketball Fan

Postby XXIV on Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:40 pm

:man10: What an idiot.
XXIV

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:08 am

XXIV wrote: What an idiot.
LTLakerFan

Postby Cleansed on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:34 pm

Well....elitist and eugenicist are calling for population reduction....
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:06 pm

ris McGrath/Getty Images
By Mark Medina, Los Angeles Daily News
POSTED: 09/19/13, 4:51 PM PDT | UPDATED: 20 SECS AGO
A walk into the Lakers’ training room on Thursday morning showed a common picture this offseason, but one that’s nonetheless visually appealing for Lakers fans.

Kobe Bryant continued rehabbing his surgically repaired left Achilles tendon, the latest work involving running at 75 percent of his body weight on a treadmill. Lakers athletic trainer Gary Vitti thinks Bryant remains a “few weeks away” before advancing to full-weight bearing running, though he added “there’s no projected date” on whether Bryant could play in the Lakers’ season opener Oct. 29 against the Clippers.

It’s safe to pencil Bryant out for part of training camp, beginning Sept. 28, though it’s unclear if he could catch the tail end of the Lakers’ eight exhibition games through Oct. 25.

It all fits the Lakers’ conservative approach in ensuring Bryant only returns from an injury he suffered April 12 once he fully heals.

“He’s doing well and has had no setbacks,” Vitti said Thursday at his trainer’s office at the Lakers’ practice facility in El Segundo. “He’ll be ready when he’s ready. Nobody has a crystal ball on this thing.”

Beyond improving his Achilles tendon, the Lakers training staff also wants Bryant to strengthen his legs, knee, back and core. They hope this approach will ensure Bryant closely replicates last season’s output, when he averaged 27.3 points on 46.3 percent shooting, six assists and 5.6 rebounds before the Lakers lost in a first-round sweep to the San Antonio Spurs without him.

“He doesn’t have injuries in the rest of his body,” Vitti said of Bryant. “Think of him as a Ferrari. He’s a machine. If those pistons aren’t firing in the right position and in the right pattern, the timing is off. The rehab is not directly solely to the Achilles tendon.”

Bryant, entering his 18th season with the Lakers, has routinely posted rehab updates on his Facebook and Twitter accounts. He even suggested last month that he “shattered” the typical timetable it takes to recover from an Achilles tendon injury. The Lakers initially estimated it would take at least six to nine months for him to recover.

“He’s had a good surgery, good rehab and he’s motivated about it. He’s smart,” Vitti said of Bryant. “You can’t get ahead of the game on this thing, but you can get behind. He never got behind.”

STAYING CAUTIOUS

Vitti said that second-round draft pick Ryan Kelly has begun running at 75 percent of his body weight on a treadmill and remains “completely asympomatic” after spending all of this offseason rehabbing his surgically repaired right foot.

The Lakers have yet to sign Kelly, meaning he would have to compete for a roster spot should he fully recover. The Lakers have 15 players under contract, but are expected to field 18-20 players during training camp.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:47 am

It's MORE important for Kobe to rehab his back, legs, and core than it is his Achilles. That tendon by now should be just about set. It's had time to heal, constant attention, and usually when the Achilles tears it comes back stronger than before. I know they did some different things with the surgery, so I'm not sure about the details, but usually the tendon comes back SO strong that it ends up being a problem. A common occurrence with an Achilles tear is that after the tendon heals, the person tears the other tendon because it's under the same amount of stress as the surgically repaired tendon which is much stronger.

The biggest problem now will be strengthening the rest of his body. Not only are a lot of his muscles going to be atrophied due to low use, they're going to be out of sync with the repaired tendon. Most of his time spent back will be spent on core strength, balance exercises, and that sort of thing. Mainly focused on the legs I'd think since that's where most of his stress will come from.

He's still a ways away, but I think there's a light at the end of the tunnel now.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:53 am

Nice post. I've heard things about the strength imbalance between the 2 achilles post surgery as well.

Have you had any formal studies or been involved in any capacity in your past with this stuff? Or just interested and follow it?
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:02 pm

LTLakerFan wrote:Nice post. I've heard things about the strength imbalance between the 2 achilles post surgery as well.

Have you had any formal studies or been involved in any capacity in your past with this stuff? Or just interested and follow it?

I've seen my share of them from being a college football player. My wife is a physical therapist, so I saw a lot of them when they were rehabbing.

I'm very interested in physical training and so when stuff like this happens, I read up on it to see what the effects of it are. I'm a licensed trainer (a real trainer, not these hyped up little college drop outs) and I just like to know things before I see them. Say a guy comes in asking for help and tells me a story about his Achilles tearing and how he wants to improve... the first thing I'll do is refer him to my wife :man10: but I'll also try to come up with something that helps him if he comes to me again.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:10 pm

If any athlete can overcome this injury and come back the same or better it's Kobe Bryant.
Ariza3

Postby LTLakerFan on Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Damn straight. When he gets his right achilles up to the strength of his new bionic left one he will be Kobe from back in the "fro" #8 days. Jumping out of the gym again. :man1: :man12:
LTLakerFan

Postby therealdeal on Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:56 pm

:man10:

I don't know about all that, but he certainly can recover to his 2012 self. The one that was somewhat less efficient and less explosive. Hopefully he takes that body and plays like he did when he was doing his best Magic Johnson impression.

Towards the end of the year, maybe All-Star break, you could see him getting a little more explosion back. I don't know if he'll ever be what he was in 2013 because what he was then didn't make any sense.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:33 am

Mark Medina ‏@MarkG_Medina 2m
Gary Vitti on Kobe's first words after Achilles tear: "Maybe I can run on my heel." Said Vitti: “I was like, ‘Come on. You have to go.’”
Collapse Reply Retweet Favorite More

Crazy SOB.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:35 am

Gary Vitti calls Kobe Bryant’s two made free throws after tearing Achilles his “gutsiest moment”
Posted on September 23, 2013 by Mark Medina
Lakers' Athletic trainer Gary Vitti looks Kobe Bryant #24 after he hurt his ankle during their game against the Warriors at the Staples Center in Los Angeles Friday, April 12, 2013. The Lakers beat the Warriors 118-116. (Hans Gutknecht/Staff Photographer)
Lakers’ Athletic trainer Gary Vitti looks Kobe Bryant #24 after he hurt his ankle during their game against the Warriors at the Staples Center in Los Angeles Friday, April 12, 2013. The Lakers beat the Warriors 118-116. (Hans Gutknecht/Staff Photographer)

Within one moment, Lakers athletic trainer Gary Vitti saw Kobe Bryant both at his most vulnerable and at his most courageous.

The Lakers’ star had just torn his left Achilles’ tendon April 12 against the Golden State Warriors at Staples Center, an injury that would leave the purple and gold faithful without anyone to guide them through the bumpy postseason waters. But before that unsettling reality settled in, Bryant pleaded one last case to stay on the court.

“The warrior that he is, Kobe says maybe I can run on my heel,” Vitti recalls, laughing, in a recent interview with this newspaper. “I was like, ‘Come on. You have to go.’”

Vitti granted Bryant’s wish, however, to shoot his two free throws. In what he called a “gentleman’s agreement,” Vitti then alerted the officials and Golden State’s coaching staff the Lakers would then foul immediately so Bryant could leave the game.

All went according to script. Bryant swished both free throws on essentially one foot, walked off the court on his own and then added an extra layer to his many list of amazing plays. It also helped the Lakers tie the game with 3:09 remaining and eventually lead to a 118-116 over Golden State, an outcome they needed to salvage a playoff berth.

“I think it’s his gutsiest moment,” said Vitti.

Telling commentary considering Vitti’s 30-year career with the Lakers included treating Bryant’s wide array of injuries through 17 seasons. He’s seen it all, ranging from Bryant playing three days after suffering a concussion and among various knee, finger, ankle and shoulder injuries. Vitti still marveled at Bryant quickly overcoming a bout of food poisoning before scoring 22 points in Game 2 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals against the Sacramento Kings.

“In the middle of the night, he had crawled up like a shrimp,” Vitti said. “He looked like he was on death’s door.”

Vitti then reverted back to Bryant’s heroics following his Achilles injury.

“To be walking off the floor with his own power,” Vitti said, shaking his head. “I’ve seen guys being taken off on wheel chairs for a shoulder injury.”

Vitti refused to say any names, but it sounded like he took a shot at Paul Pierce, who famously was wheel-chaired off the court for an apparent knee injury in Game 1 of the 2008 NBA Finals, only for the former Celtic to return minutes later and lead Boston to a win.

Bryant’s injury was far more serious, of course. Hence, why he initial moments in the training room with Vitti hardly fit Bryant’s steely image as an indestructible player void of insecurity.

“There was a moment in the training room after he ruptured his Achilles that I saw the frustration and a second of doubt in his mind,” Vitti said. “It was a moment and then it passed. He was angry.”

That soon passed, though.

Vitti recalled receiving a call from Bryant around midnight informing him he planned to have surgery the following morning.

“That’s what’s remarkable about Kobe Bryant,” Vitti said. “He processed all that stuff and all those feelings and got to what we’re going to do next within two hours.”

And with that, Vitti uttered three words that surely applies to how Bryant made two free throws on one leg, walked off the court on his own and processed his rehabilitation plan amid the pain, frustration and tears.

“That’s really cool.”

Good article.

And holy shots fired at the bolded. :man10: :man10:

Vitti is the man.
Doc Brown

Postby TIME on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:37 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Gary Vitti on Kobe's first words after Achilles tear: "Maybe I can run on my heel." Said Vitti: “I was like, ‘Come on. You have to go.’”

Crazy SOB.

So so so true... and I love him for it.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby MadMax on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:07 pm

“To be walking o[url]ff the floor with his own power,” Vitti said, shaking his head. “I’ve seen guys being taken off on wheel chairs for a shoulder injury.”
MadMax
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:19 pm

TIME wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

Crazy SOB.

So so so true... and I love him for it.

+1!!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:20 pm

MadMax wrote:“To be walking o[url]ff the floor with his own power,” Vitti said, shaking his head. “I’ve seen guys being taken off on wheel chairs for a shoulder injury.”

^^ So good.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:38 pm

:man10: :man10: :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:18 am

Doc Brown wrote:
Gary Vitti calls Kobe Bryant’s two made free throws after tearing Achilles his “gutsiest moment”
Posted on September 23, 2013 by Mark Medina
Lakers' Athletic trainer Gary Vitti looks Kobe Bryant #24 after he hurt his ankle during their game against the Warriors at the Staples Center in Los Angeles Friday, April 12, 2013. The Lakers beat the Warriors 118-116. (Hans Gutknecht/Staff Photographer)
Lakers’ Athletic trainer Gary Vitti looks Kobe Bryant #24 after he hurt his ankle during their game against the Warriors at the Staples Center in Los Angeles Friday, April 12, 2013. The Lakers beat the Warriors 118-116. (Hans Gutknecht/Staff Photographer)

Within one moment, Lakers athletic trainer Gary Vitti saw Kobe Bryant both at his most vulnerable and at his most courageous.

The Lakers’ star had just torn his left Achilles’ tendon April 12 against the Golden State Warriors at Staples Center, an injury that would leave the purple and gold faithful without anyone to guide them through the bumpy postseason waters. But before that unsettling reality settled in, Bryant pleaded one last case to stay on the court.

“The warrior that he is, Kobe says maybe I can run on my heel,” Vitti recalls, laughing, in a recent interview with this newspaper. “I was like, ‘Come on. You have to go.’”

Vitti granted Bryant’s wish, however, to shoot his two free throws. In what he called a “gentleman’s agreement,” Vitti then alerted the officials and Golden State’s coaching staff the Lakers would then foul immediately so Bryant could leave the game.

All went according to script. Bryant swished both free throws on essentially one foot, walked off the court on his own and then added an extra layer to his many list of amazing plays. It also helped the Lakers tie the game with 3:09 remaining and eventually lead to a 118-116 over Golden State, an outcome they needed to salvage a playoff berth.

“I think it’s his gutsiest moment,” said Vitti.

Telling commentary considering Vitti’s 30-year career with the Lakers included treating Bryant’s wide array of injuries through 17 seasons. He’s seen it all, ranging from Bryant playing three days after suffering a concussion and among various knee, finger, ankle and shoulder injuries. Vitti still marveled at Bryant quickly overcoming a bout of food poisoning before scoring 22 points in Game 2 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals against the Sacramento Kings.

“In the middle of the night, he had crawled up like a shrimp,” Vitti said. “He looked like he was on death’s door.”

Vitti then reverted back to Bryant’s heroics following his Achilles injury.

“To be walking off the floor with his own power,” Vitti said, shaking his head. “I’ve seen guys being taken off on wheel chairs for a shoulder injury.”

Vitti refused to say any names, but it sounded like he took a shot at Paul Pierce, who famously was wheel-chaired off the court for an apparent knee injury in Game 1 of the 2008 NBA Finals, only for the former Celtic to return minutes later and lead Boston to a win.

Bryant’s injury was far more serious, of course. Hence, why he initial moments in the training room with Vitti hardly fit Bryant’s steely image as an indestructible player void of insecurity.

“There was a moment in the training room after he ruptured his Achilles that I saw the frustration and a second of doubt in his mind,” Vitti said. “It was a moment and then it passed. He was angry.”

That soon passed, though.

Vitti recalled receiving a call from Bryant around midnight informing him he planned to have surgery the following morning.

“That’s what’s remarkable about Kobe Bryant,” Vitti said. “He processed all that stuff and all those feelings and got to what we’re going to do next within two hours.”

And with that, Vitti uttered three words that surely applies to how Bryant made two free throws on one leg, walked off the court on his own and processed his rehabilitation plan amid the pain, frustration and tears.

“That’s really cool.”

Good article.

And holy shots fired at the bolded. :man10: :man10:

Vitti is the man.

Link??? Great read!
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby XXIV on Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:43 am

That was a good read. It only makes me appreciate Kobe more and more.
XXIV

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:55 am

Doc Brown

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:12 am

thats perspective right there
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:04 pm

"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Re: Wolverine Discussion: Kobe's gutsiest moment (696)

Postby kobayashi on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:05 pm

Dr. Robert Klapper ‏@DrRobertKlapper 1h
KOBE. He has not refrained from playing Basketball for this long a period of time. His return will be REJUVINATING!
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
KOBE. When he starts Full Unrestricted Running and Jumping. He will be reBooting his entire Basketball Computer in his body
Expand
Healing is different in a Repair Surgery versus a reconstructed Surgery. PAU's Procedure to both knees is a biological reconstruction
Expand
KOBE. when you hear the term Reconstruction it means we are rebuilding a damaged structure. Usually with a graft or bionic device.

Dr. Robert Klapper's prediction... make it happen MAMBA! Go for 6th!
kobayashi

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion