Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Kobe Discussion: Reevalutated in early Feb; #BrokenNotBeaten

Postby odom1year on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:35 am

432J wrote:
XXIV wrote:Pain and swelling still? Hopefully this is just Kobe deciding to sit out the rest of the season.

that's what im guessing it is

no reason for him to return anyways

Agreed. I even didn't want him returning to the lineup in last December. He just trained about 2 weeks and made a nice shot against X Henry. Then everybody thought he was ready to play pro b-ball. That's completely a joke. Hope Kobe is 100% healthy in this July and starts 3 months training before the camp.
odom1year

Postby revgen on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:08 pm

@mcten 24m

Kobe Bryant was not re-evaluated by Lakers physician Dr. Steve Lombardo on Wednesday as planned. His return remains a mystery
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby HighlyFavored on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:04 pm

^ Im worried.
HighlyFavored

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:20 pm

He's pissed about Blake.
Chillbongo

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:22 pm

I'm not worried about his condition quite yet. If it drags on and on then sure I will be, but for now it could just be the Lakers and Kobe both knowing these season is over and that Kobe should take all the time in the world to get right for next season, even if it means shutting it down for this one.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:46 pm

Kobe is not returning, come on. There's no mystery.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby 432J on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:54 pm

revgen wrote:
@mcten 24m

Kobe Bryant was not re-evaluated by Lakers physician Dr. Steve Lombardo on Wednesday as planned. His return remains a mystery

it's plain and simple

there is just no reason for him to return this year. the team is in tank mode and he needs as much as rest as possible before next season. just imagine if he returned later this season and got seriously injured. that would be the end of his career

that's why he should sit out the rest of the season
432J

Postby BadCoaching on Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:53 pm

RIP Kobe
BadCoaching

Postby lukewaltonsdad on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:19 pm

LOS ANGELES -- Lakers guard Kobe Bryant was examined by team physician Dr. Steve Lombardo on Friday, and it was determined the 18-year-veteran will be sidelined another three weeks before being re-evaluated because of continued pain, swelling and soreness in his injured left knee.

Bryant, 35, has been sidelined since Dec. 17 with a fracture of the lateral tibial plateau in the knee.

He is averaging 13.8 points, 6.3 assists, 4.3 rebounds and 42.5 percent shooting in six games this season, but has missed the Lakers' last 30 games. He missed the Lakers' first 19 games this season because of a torn Achilles in his left leg.

Missing three more weeks before another evaluation brings the calendar to March 14, at which point there will be only 17 games left in the regular season for the Lakers. And even if Bryant is cleared for contact drills at that point, he would assuredly need some additional practice time before he could make a return.

Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak made it clear prior to the re-examination, which was done at halftime of the Lakers' game against the Boston Celtics on Friday night, that the Lakers want Bryant back at 100 percent before he returns to the lineup this season.

"We're not going to push him to get back," Kupchak said. "I don't see why you would. We've made a commitment to him for two more years, and I just don't know why we'd do that [push him to come back]. But if he feels he's ready and he's in shape and he gets the doctor's approval, then there's no reason why he couldn't do that."

L.A. signed Bryant to a two-year, $48.5 million contract extension in November.

The five-time NBA champion called his recovery "a slow process" during a news conference held in New Orleans during All-Star Weekend.

"Just try to get better and then go from there," he said when asked of his hopes for playing. "I just try to focus, keep my blinders on and just do what I have to do and not worry too much about what's going on around you, but just stay focused on what my responsibilities are."

Lombardo also examined injured Lakers guard Nick Young (non-displaced fracture of the patella and a bone bruise in his left knee ) and Xavier Henry (bone bruise in his right knee) on Friday.

Young, who has missed the Lakers' last six games, was cleared to play Sunday against the Brooklyn Nets.

"Nick does give us that X-factor that he can get a shot up at the end of a shot clock that we can't seem to generate a shot and Nick needs to come back and play well for the last 28 games," Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni said of Young, who can opt out of his $1.2 million contract with the Lakers for next season and become a free agent July 1. "They're all playing for something and he needs to have a good run."

Henry, out since Dec. 29, was cleared to return to practice but still cannot participate in 5-on-5 contact drills.

"He's close," D'Antoni said. "He's anxious to play, that's for sure."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... octor-exam

Safe to say he's done for the year...see you next year, Kobe.
lukewaltonsdad

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:22 pm

Not that it's the biggest deal, but I think it kinda sucks this seasons averages have to count against Kobe's career averages, that's lame. They already knock him on career averages compared to Jordan because his first few seasons drag down his next 14 or so.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:42 pm

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... octor-exam

Safe to say he's done for the year...see you next year, Kobe.

The article said he is still experiencing pain and swelling, I am starting to be a little bit worry ... how come the recovery is so slow, not saying he should be 100% healthy but the fracture should at least be healed by now.

:man5:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby HighlyFavored on Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:56 pm

^ im worried too.
HighlyFavored

Postby Helljumper on Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:20 am

Part of me almost feels like the injury's actually most healed and not all that serious, and we're just putting out these reports so it doesn't look like we're tanking for keeping Kobe out.
Helljumper

Postby therealdeal on Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:56 am

Helljumper wrote:Part of me almost feels like the injury's actually most healed and not all that serious, and we're just putting out these reports so it doesn't look like we're tanking for keeping Kobe out.

There's probably some truth to this. I think Kobe will come back with about a month left, play in limited minutes, and just try to show that he can be healthy again.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby SK8 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:09 am

I don't know how to feel about this, it's been a long time since Kobe got hurt and he still have "pain and swelling", that's weird, i know he's older and it takes time to heal, but i don't think this was something serious, if you remember after he went down in that Memphis game, he came back somewhere around 7-8 minutes in 4th quarter and even got that long 3 pointer....
If this injury is real, maybe he should have surgery, but than again, i am seriously starting to question our medical staff, they failed hard with Xavier and now with Kobe.
check out from 2:20 mark

i still think Kobe will come back this season.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby West's Formula 44 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:20 am

Uncle Drew wrote:I don't know how to feel about this, it's been a long time since Kobe got hurt and he still have "pain and swelling", that's weird, i know he's older and it takes time to heal, but i don't think this was something serious, if you remember after he went down in that Memphis game, he came back somewhere around 7-8 minutes in 4th quarter and even got that long 3 pointer....
If this injury is real, maybe he should have surgery, but than again, i am seriously starting to question our medical staff, they failed hard with Xavier and now with Kobe.
check out from 2:20 mark

i still think Kobe will come back this season.

Isn't Lombardo part of the same staff that had Karl Malone going through physical rehab and then later the Mailman had to have surgery?
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Vince Lombardi
West's Formula 44

Postby Uncle_Meat on Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:44 pm

I really think it's the end of the line for Kobe. He will return next season healthy only to injure himself again. This is because he demands more from his body than the average human or even NBA player. Unless he starts taking steroids to increase his strength as it was at his peak he will become injury prone because his body is basically not as resilient as it was. Kobe has to be Kobe and achieve the unimaginable or it's no good to him. His body has a lot of mileage. This is the same with Nash. The spirit is willing but the flesh is old. So both these players are consuming a lot of salary so it's doubtful there will be any big changes next year as we await their return.
Uncle_Meat

Postby davriver290 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:43 pm

I refuse to believe that the Lakers, one of the most richest basketball clubs in the world, has a medical staff so incompetent. There is just no way that LA isn't caught up with all the latest research/technology in medicine. Is there some secret potion or procedure or treatment that other ball clubs know that we don't? As I see it, there was two things. Bad luck, and the terrible coaching. By coaching, I mean giving heavy minutes to injured players, (kobe, Blake, Farmar, Gasol, Nash) and running players to the ground because of injury. So maybe not all of it is on Mike, Mitch could've signed some more bodies to keep everyone fresh. Its a combo of bad luck and just running players to the ground...

Xavier was playing PG for heavens sake... Then Meeks ran PG.. Then Kobe ran PG.... I just hear all this nonsense about our medical staff, and like I said before, I refuse to believe some other ball clubs with less money/resources/personnel, know more than the Lakers medical staff.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:35 am

It's all about managing a player's playing time... Phil was a genius, our current coach and his predecessor are the exact opposite. It's not all about X and Os... it's keeping players fresh and away from injuries...When you prepare for war, you do not exhaust all your resources on a single battle. In other words, Brown and MDA are morons.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby lotus on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:45 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:It's all about managing a player's playing time... Phil was a genius, our current coach and his predecessor are the exact opposite. It's not all about X and Os... it's keeping players fresh and away from injuries...When you prepare for war, you do not exhaust all your resources on a single battle. In other words, Brown and MDA are morons.

This is the real story behind Kobe's injury chain. He's to blame partly for wanting to go 100% all the time, but MDA didn't pull in the reins at all. There has to be more than a coincidence that the Lakers have suffered so many injuries under this guy's coaching.
lotus

Postby HighlyFavored on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:46 pm

Im sorry but I wish Kobe STFU about gay issues..i bet he'll be tweeting again about Jason Collins either tonight or tomorrow morning too...

Bryant has been a strong supporter of Collins since his announcement.

"His impact [Sunday night] is greater than what people think," Bryant told Yahoo Sports before the game. "You look at it from the context of having the first openly gay player. But they missed the domino effect that it has way beyond sports."

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/kobe-bryant-on-jason-collins--act-of-courage-will-have-huge-domino-effect-034826643.html
HighlyFavored

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:16 pm

HighlyFavored wrote:Im sorry but I wish Kobe STFU about gay issues..i bet he'll be tweeting again about Jason Collins either tonight or tomorrow morning too...

Bryant has been a strong supporter of Collins since his announcement.

"His impact [Sunday night] is greater than what people think," Bryant told Yahoo Sports before the game. "You look at it from the context of having the first openly gay player. But they missed the domino effect that it has way beyond sports."

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/kobe-bryant-on-jason-collins--act-of-courage-will-have-huge-domino-effect-034826643.html

What did Kobe do to give a STFU? He is entitled to talk about what he wants.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Helljumper on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:07 am

Kobe's free to talk about what he wants to, and I think he's right about what he's saying about Jason Collins ... but personally based on this and some other comments, I feel as if he's not being completely genuine and is just trying to be PC and restore his public image after the backlash he got for his comments to that ref a few years ago. Not that there's anything wrong with that though.
Helljumper

Postby trodgers on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:03 am

I'm absolutely fine with what Kobe said. He's right.

Is it Kobe's view on gays? It might be. If you grow up in a setting where dozens of times a day "gay" is a bad word, it can be a reaction to use homophobic speech when you're angry or unhappy with something - but it doesn't always mean you're homophobic.

I'll get crazy and give Kobe the benefit of the doubt.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby karacha on Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:56 am

HighlyFavored wrote:Im sorry but I wish Kobe STFU about gay issues..

Why?
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion