Kobe Bryant Discussion:#3 All Time!

Re: Kobe Discussion: Walking with the boot off (673)

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:22 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:^by losing Dwight 30 million?

He wasn't Dwight's agent, he was Harden's.

The above poster's point is that he earned Harden more money because with Dwight, Harden will be more successful. The poster's point is that he did this at the expense of Kobe Bryant and that it was a good move because Harden is younger and more able to earn him money than Kobe Bryant.

Which I think is false. At least over the next 3 years Kobe will be worth at least twice what Harden is worth (outside of NBA contracts of course). I don't know if Kobe's agent gets paid for other endorsements as well, but I'd imagine he gets a percentage of that at least.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:52 pm

therealdeal wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:^by losing Dwight 30 million?

He wasn't Dwight's agent, he was Harden's.

The above poster's point is that he earned Harden more money because with Dwight, Harden will be more successful. The poster's point is that he did this at the expense of Kobe Bryant and that it was a good move because Harden is younger and more able to earn him money than Kobe Bryant.

Which I think is false. At least over the next 3 years Kobe will be worth at least twice what Harden is worth (outside of NBA contracts of course). I don't know if Kobe's agent gets paid for other endorsements as well, but I'd imagine he gets a percentage of that at least.

Ahh I misunderstood.

I agree with you that it would be dumb to put his faith in the earning potential of Harden who is only marginally marketable while Kobe Bryant is still the NBA's most marketable player. I think the Harden/Dwight Kobe will have serious issues but mainly because of Dwight. We shall see.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:58 pm

I can't wait to see Harden get sick of Dwight's crap. Or maybe they don't get sick of each other, but then I can't wait to see them fail. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:51 pm

The people at Reddit did what they do best and once again spotted a brilliant combination of beauty and insanity in this Lakers fan car. The only thing missing from it might be a Robert Sacre bobblehead that dances at every stop sign.

If you take a gander at the comments section over at Reddit, you quickly find out that this Lakers car is actually bumping around the greater Oklahoma City area.

Thankfully, one Reddit commenter mentioned that The Oklahoman did a story on this car's owner last year around the time of the postseason series between the Lakers and Thunder, a series the Thunder would take in five games.

It seems that there is indeed a report over at News OK about Andre Mink and his Lakers car that is only slightly louder than Chesapeake Energy Arena around playoff time.

Now before we continue, we have to say we are assuming this car is the same one seen around OKC a year ago sporting a different trunk design.

Back in 2012, Mink's car featured a slogan that read, "It Don't Thunder in LA," a phrase that he claimed was extremely polarizing in a video over at News OK.

Just like the actual Lakers, this fan car is all in with Kobe Bryant, featuring a "Black Mamba" script on the back and a license plate that reads, "KOBE."

Something tells me this particular fan thought better after the Lakers were nearly swept by the Thunder during last season's playoffs and changed the design.

While the franchise may have lost out on Dwight Howard, they still have a huge fan in Oklahoma City. Sure, that may not win any titles for the organization, and it does little for fans residing in Los Angeles, but it's slightly less annoying than any suit worn by Craig Sager.

And that's a small positive, which is more than anyone in the Lakers front office can boast at this time.
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:18 pm

"Kobe Bryant will win another championship before Dwight Howard ever sniffs one" - Ice Cube

*Warning: Strong Language*

Spoiler:

EDIT: Got to use Spoiler tags if the video title bypasses the site swear filter -TIME
Last edited by Ariza3 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ariza3

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Ariza3 wrote:
"Kobe Bryant will win another championship before Dwight Howard ever sniffs one" - Ice Cube

FYI, in the future make sure you worn people a head of time. It doesn't bother me, but I know the MODS wants to keep this as much a family friendly site as possible.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:41 pm

Yes, thanks Battle.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:47 pm

well Cube said it best.
I don't always bring down the hammer but when I do it is usually to a troll! Stay TROLL FREE my freinds!
puffyusaf#2
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:08 pm

“@kobebryant: I wish d12 the best honestly. I just find it hard to follow players that wanna kick my teams a** #thatsjustme”

“@kobebryant: Personally I'd keep Metta and make a run with the unit we have and just add a few pieces #keepthepeace #lakersstilldeciding”

“@kobebryant: Kaman is a great addition. Great skill set and a competitor.”

“@kobebryant: "My job is not to be easy on people. My job is to make them better." Steve Jobs”
Ariza3

Postby Weezy on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:31 pm

That last one, about his job being to make people (players) better, I'd have to think was meant a little for Dwight or for people saying Kobe was the reason he left.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:46 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:well Cube said it best.

Cube's a Laker fan through and through...
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:02 pm

gcclaker wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:well Cube said it best.

Cube's a Laker fan through and through...

Absolutely!
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:33 am

Ariza3 wrote:

*Warning: Strong Language*

Spoiler:

EDIT: Got to use Spoiler tags if the video title bypasses the site swear filter -TIME

... Gilbert said the same thing about Cavs and LeBron :man9:
kenzo

Re: Kobe Discussion: #keepthepeace (678)

Postby HighlyFavored on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:53 am

is it me or is kobe just throwing shots at Dwight. 1st he tweeted about how lakernations will miss MWP.something he didnt do for Dwight. 2nd he tweeted #keepthepeace, and he didnt tweet #stayD12. 3rd he talked about how Chris Kaman was a good addition, and he's Dwight's replacement. Finally 4th he quoted Steve Jobs talking about his job is to make other better, and not be easy on them. LOL
HighlyFavored

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:22 am

Ariza3 wrote:
“@kobebryant: I wish d12 the best honestly. I just find it hard to follow players that wanna kick my teams a** #thatsjustme”

“@kobebryant: Personally I'd keep Metta and make a run with the unit we have and just add a few pieces #keepthepeace #lakersstilldeciding”

“@kobebryant: Kaman is a great addition. Great skill set and a competitor.”

“@kobebryant: "My job is not to be easy on people. My job is to make them better." Steve Jobs”

If only Dwight understood the last quote.. Never seen someone run from the chance to become 1 of the greats.. I'm almost not mad at him because I feel like it's a flaw in how he was raised or something.. I've never seen such an immature & indecisive person at his age.. Probably terrible parenting.
lakersin4

Postby TheOp on Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:24 am

Terrible parenting......

but they made sure he ate alright. :man12:
TheOp

Postby Aonex on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:54 am

Nice short article on Kobe:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/07/kobe-br ... mpionship/

Kobe’s new persona is wonderful and does nothing to help the Lakers
The new, humanized Kobe Bryant is delightful. But human Kobe isn’t what the Lakers need.

By NATE SCOTT – July 9, 2013 at 8:44am EDT
SHARE (0)TWEET (2)EMAIL (5)
(AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill)
Today’s Big Winner: Kobe Bryant

I really, truly love the new Kobe Bryant. The Kobe who live-tweets Lakers playoffs games and brands his own injury rehab and trolls the Bobcats on Instagram. The new Kobe is a walking sound bite. He’s funny and engaging and self-deprecating and seems to totally understand his own place in history and his place in the public consciousness.

And no part of the new Kobe Bryant is helping the Lakers get another championship.

This has nothing to do with some inane argument that Kobe should get off Twitter and get back in the gym. Kobe works harder than anyone in the league, always has. You don’t play at this level for this long unless you put in the work, and Kobe puts in the work.

And it also has nothing to do with Dwight Howard leaving. Nothing Kobe put on social media or said in interviews was ever going to change the fact that he and Dwight were never a great match, and coach Mike D’Antoni and Dwight were never a great match. Dwight was gone. It was only a matter of time.

What Kobe’s funny tweets and new, easy-going, relaxed public persona does is humanize him. It makes us as fans connect with him in a way we never did before. We don’t see him as a 6’8” destroyer sent to put other teams in their graves. He’s a funny guy who’s getting a little older, is crazily competitive, and who sometimes tells dad jokes. We all know someone a bit like Kobe.

This is bad for the Lakers. Because the more Kobe is humanized, both to fans and other players around the league, the more his mystique dies. The more that intangible fear that other teams had goes away. Opposing teams no longer see Kobe Bryant as the man who sinks dagger threes with ice in his veins — they see the goofy guy drinking a Corona at a baseball game.

Kobe copy

I know it’s unfair to compare Kobe to Michael Jordan, but Kobe himself is the one who seems so hell-bent on breaking all of Jordan’s records, so sue me, I’m going to compare them. Do you remember Jordan ever breaking character? Ever letting fans and other teams in behind the grimace? Other than Space Jam, do you remember Michael ever allowing himself to be humanized?

He didn’t. He didn’t want that. He wanted fear. He wanted to be bigger than a human, scarier than a human — a droid assassin sent in Nike high tops. There’s a famous story of a young NBA player in a pre-season game taunting an aging, Wizards-era Michael Jordan and an assistant coach running over to the kid and screaming “Don’t you ever, ever taunt Michael Jordan. Do you hear me?” Jordan was broken down at this point, a shadow of his former self. But the fear was still there. You don’t poke the bear.

Kobe’s new persona is wonderful for sportswriters and fans. He seems funnier, happier, more comfortable in his own skin. He seems eager to rinse the bad taste of the Denver rape trial away. That’s all fine. But in humanizing himself, he’s taking away one of the biggest advantages he still had — the belief that he was a little bit more than a human.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:07 am

As a fan, I could care less about the financial side of things, it all comes down to what gives us the best chance to field the best team & win.. I don't know for certain, but I think using Amnesty on MWP takes us below the tax apron, & makes us eligible to receive players in Sign & Trades. If that's the case, it increases our chances of making a move that makes us better & wins us more games, so I think Kobe's comments are hurting us.

If I'm wrong about that & it doesn't take us below the tax apron & allow us to receive players in S&T, then I'm with Kobe.. We have noone else at the position & I don't want Kobe having to guard bigger stronger SF's.. We can't amnesty him when we have noone else at the position. If you have a couple guys you can sign that strengthen us at the position, sure, go that route. But you don't just let him go to save money.. That's an admission that we're not trying to win this season, & that's not what this franchise is about.
lakersin4

Postby SK8 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:18 am

kobebryant
Update from Dr Neil with the brain trust #judyseto #garyvitti #determined #vino #pray4bear

video:
http://instagram.com/p/bjKc90xNqz/
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:23 am

Uncle Drew wrote:
kobebryant
Update from Dr Neil with the brain trust #judyseto #garyvitti #determined #vino #pray4bear

video:
http://instagram.com/p/bjKc90xNqz/

I'm at work, I can't hear it. Anyone want to give me the low down please?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:26 am

Aonex wrote:Nice short article on Kobe:

The new, humanized Kobe Bryant is delightful. But human Kobe isn’t what the Lakers need.

I really, truly love the new Kobe Bryant. The Kobe who live-tweets Lakers playoffs games and brands his own injury rehab and trolls the Bobcats on Instagram. The new Kobe is a walking sound bite. He’s funny and engaging and self-deprecating and seems to totally understand his own place in history and his place in the public consciousness.

And no part of the new Kobe Bryant is helping the Lakers get another championship.

This has nothing to do with some inane argument that Kobe should get off Twitter and get back in the gym. Kobe works harder than anyone in the league, always has. You don’t play at this level for this long unless you put in the work, and Kobe puts in the work.

And it also has nothing to do with Dwight Howard leaving. Nothing Kobe put on social media or said in interviews was ever going to change the fact that he and Dwight were never a great match, and coach Mike D’Antoni and Dwight were never a great match. Dwight was gone. It was only a matter of time.

What Kobe’s funny tweets and new, easy-going, relaxed public persona does is humanize him. It makes us as fans connect with him in a way we never did before. We don’t see him as a 6’8” destroyer sent to put other teams in their graves. He’s a funny guy who’s getting a little older, is crazily competitive, and who sometimes tells dad jokes. We all know someone a bit like Kobe.

This is bad for the Lakers. Because the more Kobe is humanized, both to fans and other players around the league, the more his mystique dies. The more that intangible fear that other teams had goes away. Opposing teams no longer see Kobe Bryant as the man who sinks dagger threes with ice in his veins — they see the goofy guy drinking a Corona at a baseball game.

Kobe copy

I know it’s unfair to compare Kobe to Michael Jordan, but Kobe himself is the one who seems so hell-bent on breaking all of Jordan’s records, so sue me, I’m going to compare them. Do you remember Jordan ever breaking character? Ever letting fans and other teams in behind the grimace? Other than Space Jam, do you remember Michael ever allowing himself to be humanized?

He didn’t. He didn’t want that. He wanted fear. He wanted to be bigger than a human, scarier than a human — a droid assassin sent in Nike high tops. There’s a famous story of a young NBA player in a pre-season game taunting an aging, Wizards-era Michael Jordan and an assistant coach running over to the kid and screaming “Don’t you ever, ever taunt Michael Jordan. Do you hear me?” Jordan was broken down at this point, a shadow of his former self. But the fear was still there. You don’t poke the bear.

Kobe’s new persona is wonderful for sportswriters and fans. He seems funnier, happier, more comfortable in his own skin. He seems eager to rinse the bad taste of the Denver rape trial away. That’s all fine. But in humanizing himself, he’s taking away one of the biggest advantages he still had — the belief that he was a little bit more than a human.

Well first of all the truth is that Jordan didn't have to let anyone behind a curtain, he was exactly who he showed himself to be: a jerk. A d*** that no one could get along with because he was just an absolutely terrible person to be around. It was that exact trait that made him great, but he never needed to be "humanized" because he didn't know what it meant to be human.

Kobe is a different cat. That doesn't mean he isn't the same guy on the court. He's still the same guy you don't want to mess with, but it's a different age. The great young players aren't going to back down from Kobe the same way Kobe never backed down from Jordan.

Kobe being who he is in social media is great. It's great to see this side of him. Because even through the goofy stuff he can post sometimes you still see the fire in him daily. You still see the evidence of the work that we only saw rumors of. We still see the incredible fire that he has to be the greatest that he can be and that's something amazing we fans have wanted for a long time.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:23 am

Kobe - different animal, same beast. #kobesystem
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby OX1947 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:46 pm

I preferred Kobe being a hermit, mean, ahole. Maybe it's because I'm like that too.
OX1947

Postby KJ MonK on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:28 pm

I don't think Kobe's new "persona" is seen as genuine by most people, and I think inside our views of him as the aloof and awkward guy remain mostly unchanged (we never had much of a problem with it)... also, i dont think that mystique is quite there when they're beating him downcourt on the breaks / busting 3s on his late recoveries... When Harden taunted him a couple yrs back, i was like 'uh oh this can't be good'... I think people like Harrison Barnes level might be scared of him, but i dont think most of the veterans 'fear' him like they used to... its more respect
@KJ_MonK

“Some time ago, talking to some people, they wanted a bonus if the Lakers made the playoffs. I said, `Bonus? If we don’t make the playoffs, you don’t work here anymore.”’
- Jerry Buss
"I know I can score 20 or 30 points anytime I want," Vujacic said.
KJ MonK

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:55 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Aonex wrote:Nice short article on Kobe:

Kobe copy

Well first of all the truth is that Jordan didn't have to let anyone behind a curtain, he was exactly who he showed himself to be: a jerk. A d*** that no one could get along with because he was just an absolutely terrible person to be around. It was that exact trait that made him great, but he never needed to be "humanized" because he didn't know what it meant to be human.

Kobe is a different cat. That doesn't mean he isn't the same guy on the court. He's still the same guy you don't want to mess with, but it's a different age. The great young players aren't going to back down from Kobe the same way Kobe never backed down from Jordan.

Kobe being who he is in social media is great. It's great to see this side of him. Because even through the goofy stuff he can post sometimes you still see the fire in him daily. You still see the evidence of the work that we only saw rumors of. We still see the incredible fire that he has to be the greatest that he can be and that's something amazing we fans have wanted for a long time.

This is what happens when you get older and age. You start reflecting more about your career and such and Kobe has certainly begun to do this. I think its perfectly fine what Kobe is doing now and what he has been doing. Its as if everything is coming full circle. When he first came into the league he was arguably a loner who cared for nothing else except winning and working on his basketball game.

With all of this said. Deep in Kobe's core will always be that grueling competitive spirit that never ever dies. He will eat your heat out still on the court. The only real difference is that once he is off the court he's a lot more balanced and I'm sure that also is because of his personally life and raising his 2 daughter who have gotten much older now.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion