Kobe Discussion: Happy with the FO effort (806)

Re: Kobe Discussion: faster rehab progress than expected! (679)

Postby FabFourLakers on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:54 am

LTLakerFan wrote:WAT?? It was a complete rupture. No??????

Nope. My friend (doing rotations currently and he's a UCLA med student) actually spoke to Kobe's doctor who performed his surgery, and the doc said it was only partially torn. That's why he was able to walk off the court, and that's also why he's progressing this fast in his rehab. I have no clue why the media/lakers/kobe are portraying it as FULL tear...but it's not. I can't reveal anything more than that....but I wouldn't make this up and neither would my friend.
FabFourLakers

Postby Cleansed on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:54 am

I had a complete / full rupture and i not only walked off of the football field but played another down before i walked off. It was clear something was "off" but I wasnt completely convinced it had happened until the Doctors diagnosis many hours later. Apparently my reaction isnt common but it does prove that , much like Kobe shooting 2 free throws and walking off of the court, that it's possible to have a complete rupture and still walk.
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:50 am

FabFourLakers wrote:
LTLakerFan wrote:WAT?? It was a complete rupture. No??????

Nope. My friend (doing rotations currently and he's a UCLA med student) actually spoke to Kobe's doctor who performed his surgery, and the doc said it was only partially torn. That's why he was able to walk off the court, and that's also why he's progressing this fast in his rehab. I have no clue why the media/lakers/kobe are portraying it as FULL tear...but it's not. I can't reveal anything more than that....but I wouldn't make this up and neither would my friend.

Hopefully to make sure Dwight left, so we can have the flexibility to bring a more competitive star in with the money Dwight left behind.
lakersin4

Postby BDG on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:20 am

According to CDR, Kobe is THREE MONTHS ahead of schedule ... :man4:

Kobe Bryant has told Chris Douglas-Roberts he is three months ahead of schedule after tearing his Achilles in April. Douglas-Roberts is playing for the Los Angeles Lakers summer league squad and spoke with media after the Lakers' victory over the Los Angeles Clippers on Monday.

"He told me he's three months ahead of schedule, which is very Kobe-like," Douglas-Roberts said regarding his recent conversations with Bryant.

Bryant is expected to begin running in about three weeks. Bryant has hinted that he is ahead of schedule, but a specific number had not been placed on how far ahead he is.

He immediately underwent surgery after confirming the Achilles had completely torn on April 12. He has since stated he expects to play at a "high level" for at least three more years.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2013/7/15/4526938/los-angeles-lakers-news-kobe-bryant-achilles-2013
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:52 am

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:I don't know. My sister tore her achilles running, and even after being cleared 6 months later for running, it tightens up after about 20 minutes of exercise. I can imagine that he'll be able to play when the season starts, but maybe only for 20 - 25 minutes before it tightens up and he can't run.

Kobe

your sister.

lol, nothing against your sister but this a professional athlete we're talking about with wolverine healing powers.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:14 am

Everyone reacts differently and there are a dozen different ways it can be torn/treated.

That being said, I'm STILL not convinced Kobe will be there opening day and I'm CERTAIN he won't be "Kobe Bryant". He may NEVER be "Kobe Bryant" again. I expect he'll return and at some point in the season will look like an elite SG in the league, but I don't know when and I doubt he EVER looks the way he looked last season.

If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to celebrate, but I just have seen too many torn Achilles end people's athletic lives to be overly optimistic about a full recovery.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Wolverine Discussion: 3 months ahead of schedule! p.682

Postby KB24 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:00 am

Kobe is wolverine.

He has proven time over time that betting against him isn't very smart especially when it comes to injuries. Will he be the same? we will find out I guess but you better believe he is hell-bent to prove that one can come back from such an injury and be the same.

If he can't win a 'Chip, at least he can show how you can overcome career ending injuries at 35.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:02 am

I'll echo the "every case is different" - but I'll slightly alter the post above TRD's. Kobe's treatment >>>> your sister's, almost without any doubt.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:05 am

:man10:

The picture and the title. For some reason, I thought I was in Media Forum for a second.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:14 am

I really don't know what to make of his injury/comeback

A part of me says this is going to take him a considerable step back in his ability to play. I'm not so sure he can come back the same as last season especially at his age...

then again, this is Kobe Bean Bryant we are talking about...

We shall see...

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:22 pm

trodgers wrote:I'll echo the "every case is different" - but I'll slightly alter the post above TRD's. Kobe's treatment >>>> your sister's, almost without any doubt.

This is basically my only reason to remain hopeful. Advanced procedures and advanced treatment far and away better than anything I've witnessed should mean a better outcome.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:36 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:you guys realize it's only a partial tear right?

he'll be back by opening day. not really worried.

:man10: partial tear, not even close. It was a full rupture. I know your friend is someone you trust and believe but I'll believe Gary Vitti himself and the actually surgery picture Kobe took of the operation which actually shows the complete tear before anybody else's thoughts/opinions.

2:54 - 3:15

Last edited by Battle Tested20 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Magic Skywalker on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:40 pm

therealdeal wrote:Everyone reacts differently and there are a dozen different ways it can be torn/treated.

That being said, I'm STILL not convinced Kobe will be there opening day and I'm CERTAIN he won't be "Kobe Bryant". He may NEVER be "Kobe Bryant" again. I expect he'll return and at some point in the season will look like an elite SG in the league, but I don't know when and I doubt he EVER looks the way he looked last season.

If I'm wrong, I'll be the first to celebrate, but I just have seen too many torn Achilles end people's athletic lives to be overly optimistic about a full recovery.

I've read this kind of things so many times. I do understand why you feel he won't be "Kobe Bryant", but.... he IS "Kobe Bryant", and while he is a freak athlete, he's a basketball genius, he will know how to adapt. I do agree it may take some time, but I'm sure he'll get there, and that's because he is "Kobe Bryant".

And real, I believe you know this.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:00 pm

Magic Skywalker wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Everyone reacts differently and there are a dozen different ways it can be torn/treated.

I've read this kind of things so many times. I do understand why you feel he won't be "Kobe Bryant", but.... he IS "Kobe Bryant", and while he is a freak athlete, he's a basketball genius, he will know how to adapt. I do agree it may take some time, but I'm sure he'll get there, and that's because he is "Kobe Bryant".

And real, I believe you know this.

I'm expecting him to come back and be a more efficient human being in terms of movement. He'll have to adjust because he'll lose a lot of explosive ability. His already excellent footwork will have to be a premium and he'll have to work to get his handles back to where they used to be despite his fingers.

He won't be dunking on many people, at least for a long, long time.

Physically his body is going to be limited for at least the first few months, then he's going to have to adjust to having this surgically repaired mega Achilles on one side which can cause discomfort, lack of mobility, and can affect the way he uses his other Achilles.

It's not that I don't believe he'll come back and be an NBA level player. I'm not sure I believe that he'll come back and be the best SG in basketball. I think those days are probably over.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:58 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:
V.V.V.V.V. wrote:I don't know. My sister tore her achilles running, and even after being cleared 6 months later for running, it tightens up after about 20 minutes of exercise. I can imagine that he'll be able to play when the season starts, but maybe only for 20 - 25 minutes before it tightens up and he can't run.

In all fairness to my sis, she is a professional marathon runner, but yes I agree that Kobe is in a different world from her. My point was not to compare the two outright, just to mention that based on the case I saw personally, it's one thing to "be cleared" for athletics, and another entirely to be back to where you once were. It seems like a long process.

Look at Billups. Once he came back, it took another season before he was contributing like an all-star again.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby purp n gold on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:22 pm

freak of nature... our freak of nature :jam2:

let's get it Kobe
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby NewDynasty on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:44 pm

:bow:
NewDynasty

Postby trodgers on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:55 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:

In all fairness to my sis, she is a professional marathon runner, but yes I agree that Kobe is in a different world from her. My point was not to compare the two outright, just to mention that based on the case I saw personally, it's one thing to "be cleared" for athletics, and another entirely to be back to where you once were. It seems like a long process.

Look at Billups. Once he came back, it took another season before he was contributing like an all-star again.

For the record, I wasn't comparing athleticism or anything like that when I made the comparison: I was talking just about the quality of treatment they likely received.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Phil XI on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:54 pm

Kobe's an Ace
Glen Rice is a wolverine
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:11 pm

thread title had me confused as hell....lol.. I was like why the hell is there a movie thread in LD that has 682 pages..... Um I got owned.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:17 pm

I bet he'll still come back better than Dwight.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby LakerFan1235 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:57 pm

nelly's a dumb douche.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby ThizGuy83 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:54 pm

my god... that video... there was so many wtf looks on the whole crew while nelly was talking... i think i just lost some iq points from watching that video
Dwight "tweedle Dee tweedle dum" Howard
ThizGuy83

Postby Weezy on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:48 am

That was one of the worst, most annoyingly presented arguments I've ever heard, obnoxious, loud, angry. He said too many stupid things to count, talking out of his ***, clearly a Kobe hater. I wish I had those 15 minutes of my life back.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:37 am

nelly?

what is this 2002?
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox