Kobe Bryant Discussion:#3 All Time!

Re: Kobe Discussion: Shutting it down; Puts Lakers FO on blast

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:43 pm

Kobe Bryant takes off for France before Lakers season ends
print
Comments
Email

Kobe Bryant of the Lakers
One event Kobe Bryant won't be watching live: the Lakers' season finale. (Kent Horner / Getty Images / April 9, 2014)
Also
Preview: Lakers at San Antonio Spurs
Preview: Lakers at San Antonio Spurs
Lakers sit in sixth lottery position, with room to climb
Lakers sit in sixth lottery position, with room to climb
Mike D'Antoni reflects on the Lakers' tough season
Mike D'Antoni reflects on the Lakers' tough season

By Mike Bresnahan
April 16, 2014, 11:47 a.m.

SAN ANTONIO -- While the Lakers prepared for their last game of the season, Kobe Bryant was already beginning his off-season.

Bryant went to France with family members either Tuesday or Wednesday, the Los Angeles Times has learned. The Lakers conclude their season Wednesday night against the San Antonio Spurs.

A team spokesman said he was unaware of the situation and referred a reporter to Bryant's agent, Rob Pelinka, who did not immediately return a phone call.

Bryant has been in a surly mood since the team's fortunes started sagging, muttering under his breath at last month's team photo that he doesn't like associating with a team so many games under .500.

The Lakers (26-55) have never lost this many games and have been out of playoff contention for a month.

Bryant was supposed to address Lakers fans before the team's home finale Sunday but showed up at Staples Center near halftime because of a migraine headache, a Lakers spokesman said. Instead of Bryant, Nick Young grabbed a microphone before tip-off against Memphis and called Lakers fans "the best in the world."

Bryant has not played since sustaining a fractured knee in December. He appeared in only six games this season, missing the first 19 while recovering from a torn Achilles' tendon.

Bryant, 35, made $30.5 million this season. He is under contract for two more years and $48.5 million.

It's not the first time a Lakers player has ended a season erratically.

Former guard Nick Van Exel infamously concluded a practice with a "1, 2, 3...Cancun" huddle break in 1998 as the Lakers were about to get swept by Utah in the Western Conference finals. He later said he was joking when he did it.

Sorry KB. Next year ain't going to be much better. You weren't grumbling when 48 million was presented to you. Time to deal with the consequences whether good or bad.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:54 pm

I'll take 48 million and a losing season any year.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby giggycel on Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:10 pm

Mike D'antoni did call say he was a "fan" while injured so...

Not to beat a dead horse but in my opinion things would have been different had phil been the coach this year in terms of kobe's involvement, or lack thereof with the team. I can't see phil allowing kobe to miss so many away games, arrive late, travel overseas before the season officially ends etc.

I think we would have seen more of "coach kobe" on the sidelines.
giggycel

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:14 pm

Kobe to begin program next week

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10792304/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-begin-intense-training-program-next-week

Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant has been cleared to resume running and shooting and will begin an intense, six-month training program next week upon his return from a short family trip to Europe, sources with knowledge of the situation told ESPN.

Bryant has been ramping up his activity level in recent weeks as he recovers from a fracture in his left knee suffered December 17 in Memphis, just six games into his return from a ruptured Achilles.

He has rarely traveled with the team or appeared in public since, preferring to focus on his rehabilitation instead of a team wrapping up the worst season in Lakers history. Bryant vented his frustrations with the team's struggles when he was declared out for the season in mid-March. He made his feelings known on Twitter on Wednesday:

Kobe Bryant ‏@kobebryant 1h

S*** season. Flush it. Forget it #amnesia Next Season will be epic #blackout #bussfam

The Los Angeles Times reported Wednesday that Bryant had already departed for France before the Lakers final road games in San Antonio.

Bryant is due back in Los Angeles this weekend and will begin intense training designed to have him fully recovered by the start of training camp in October, according to sources. The trip is a short anniversary trip
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:44 pm

:jam2: hoping for the best.

But to be honest - I really hope for some defense next year. I hate that style of play in general but what happened to us this year ist just ... :disagree:
Give us some effort to cheer about again.

As for Kobe. I'm excited to see at which level he can come back again.
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby Magic Skywalker on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:57 pm

I hope we can see a good Kobe next season. That alone would make next season so much better :jam2:
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby kenzo on Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:08 pm

Is Kobe still on some painkillers? :man3:
"Next season will be epic"... :man9:
kenzo

Postby Vasashi17 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:24 pm

Per ESPN
While he is in Europe, Bryant will visit the clinic in Germany where he has had procedures on his knee, according to a source

aka more PRP injections
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby bigdog2013 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:17 pm

Kobe is a spoiled piece of work. The rest of these dudes are fighting to win while he taking his 48 million and going to vacation. You see pau and nash making the trip the last 2 games. Lakers traded van excel for saying cancun, cancun during the last game, traded cedric for going to the lake during the year.
bigdog2013

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:52 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:Per ESPN
While he is in Europe, Bryant will visit the clinic in Germany where he has had procedures on his knee, according to a source

aka more PRP injections

good, I was hoping he was going to visit that Germany doctor while on his trip
Battle Tested20

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:18 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
Vasashi17 wrote:Per ESPN

aka more PRP injections

good, I was hoping he was going to visit that Germany doctor while on his trip

hes only getting a check up

Ramona Shelburne wrote:No procedure on Kobe's knee is scheduled, just a check up. Will happen while in Europe this week.

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/456568192379281408
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:19 pm

okay, thats fine too. Train well this off-season Kobe, we all know you will be hungry
Battle Tested20

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:09 am

I can't help but not be that excited about his return honestly. I know it's Kobe and I know it's hard to write him off, but he's now had two major injuries on the wrong side of 30. He's in trouble.

Next season isn't going to be epic unless Mitch has some sort of plan that we can't see. Maybe he's got a way to get some high level help here and we just don't know it. It's hard to be faithful of that happening at this point though.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:27 am

therealdeal wrote:I can't help but not be that excited about his return honestly. I know it's Kobe and I know it's hard to write him off, but he's now had two major injuries on the wrong side of 30. He's in trouble.

Next season isn't going to be epic unless Mitch has some sort of plan that we can't see. Maybe he's got a way to get some high level help here and we just don't know it. It's hard to be faithful of that happening at this point though.

^^ I have to say, just thinking about Kobe ACTUALLY playing does excite me. I just hope he can get fully healthy and get back out on the court. That would be an enormous boost for this franchise and for us fans after this year's debacle of a season.

I am praying that D' Antoni is gone. I can't stand him. He will run Kobe into the ground again if given the chance. That alone is reason to fire him as if we needed any more.

A new coach, a young stud in the draft, a healthy Kobe and hopefully at least a decent cast around him would go a LONG way to redeeming things for me.

Here's hoping. I'd like us to get back to the playoffs even if we aren't true contenders. Give me something to root for.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:40 am

Oh I'm with you. It's just now I don't have that feeling we used to have about Kobe being invincible. Father Time has a sword in him already and it's hard to imagine him playing 75+ games and being productive at that super high level again.

Kobe needs the Lakers to find a direction as soon as any of us. It's his livelihood that's at stake. If we come back with D'Antoni and no help this summer, Kob is just going to hurt himself again.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby checkers09 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:59 am

Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant is the subject of a new documentary called “Kobe Bryant’s Muse” on Showtime, which will air this fall.

The project, directed by Gotham Chopra, is currently filming in Los Angeles and will offer an in-depth look into the life, inspirations and challenges facing one of the most successful and complex figures in professional sports.

“As a lifelong Boston Celtics fan, never did I imagine I would collaborate with Laker great Kobe Bryant,” said Chopra. “Kobe’s quest for greatness transcends rivalries and I’m excited by his and SHOWTIME’s willingness to go down this rabbit hole together. I’m confident audiences will be intrigued by what comes out the other side.”

The documentary will examine Bryant’s storied basketball career, detailing his mentorships, allies and rivalries that have helped shape his 18-year tenure in the NBA, in addition to his recent achilles heel surgery which kept him out most of the 2013-2014 season.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/kobe-br ... 201158912/

Yet as I watched him Monday, I could not help think how little it mattered and how right he is. He is not fading into the shadows. He does not know how to go out that way.[.]
checkers09

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:03 am

therealdeal wrote:Oh I'm with you. It's just now I don't have that feeling we used to have about Kobe being invincible. Father Time has a sword in him already and it's hard to imagine him playing 75+ games and being productive at that super high level again.

Kobe needs the Lakers to find a direction as soon as any of us. It's his livelihood that's at stake. If we come back with D'Antoni and no help this summer, Kob is just going to hurt himself again.

Very true. I absolutely agree realdeal. I don't want to see hero ball out of Kobe and playing 40 plus minutes a game because our coach has no spine. That = death knell for Kobe and the Lakers. 'Antoni staying means unwatchable garbage product out there again on the court. That would have heavy financial consequences because of the tv contract and failing fandom and ratings. They need to right the ship and soon. If they think they can get away with the lassez faire then they have another think coming.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:00 am

Lakerjones wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Oh I'm with you. It's just now I don't have that feeling we used to have about Kobe being invincible. Father Time has a sword in him already and it's hard to imagine him playing 75+ games and being productive at that super high level again.

Very true. I absolutely agree realdeal. I don't want to see hero ball out of Kobe and playing 40 plus minutes a game because our coach has no spine. That = death knell for Kobe and the Lakers. 'Antoni staying means unwatchable garbage product out there again on the court. That would have heavy financial consequences because of the tv contract and failing fandom and ratings. They need to right the ship and soon. If they think they can get away with the lassez faire then they have another think coming.

I think Mitch and Jim are going to revel in the freedom of their decisions at first, but I think they'll find a path here. They had one with the Dwight/Kobe/Paul idea and they had another (albeit rushed one) with Dwight/Pau/Kobe/Nash.

Now they've got a truly blank slate. Once they fire D'Antoni I'll have more faith in them again. And we'll find out where we land in the lottery soon so that'll be good too.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:40 am

checkers09 wrote:
Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant is the subject of a new documentary called “Kobe Bryant’s Muse” on Showtime, which will air this fall.

The project, directed by Gotham Chopra, is currently filming in Los Angeles and will offer an in-depth look into the life, inspirations and challenges facing one of the most successful and complex figures in professional sports.

“As a lifelong Boston Celtics fan, never did I imagine I would collaborate with Laker great Kobe Bryant,” said Chopra. “Kobe’s quest for greatness transcends rivalries and I’m excited by his and SHOWTIME’s willingness to go down this rabbit hole together. I’m confident audiences will be intrigued by what comes out the other side.”

The documentary will examine Bryant’s storied basketball career, detailing his mentorships, allies and rivalries that have helped shape his 18-year tenure in the NBA, in addition to his recent achilles heel surgery which kept him out most of the 2013-2014 season.

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/kobe-br ... 201158912/

*rubs hands together* This should be great!
Battle Tested20

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:49 am

Kobe won't be more "happy" next season as Mitch already confirmed the obvious... it's going to be a relatively slow process to be back on top and Kobe "will be fine , he has no choice" ... those were Mitch words .
wcsoldier81

Postby Battle Tested20 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:54 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Kobe won't be more "happy" next season as Mitch already confirmed the obvious... it's going to be a relatively slow process to be back on top and Kobe "will be fine , he has no choice" ... those were Mitch words .

Mitch has said a ton of things over the years and done the exact opposite, there are plenty of examples of this.
Battle Tested20

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:04 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:Kobe won't be more "happy" next season as Mitch already confirmed the obvious... it's going to be a relatively slow process to be back on top and Kobe "will be fine , he has no choice" ... those were Mitch words .

Mitch has said a ton of things over the years and done the exact opposite, there are plenty of examples of this.

Sure , except it would take a miracle this time ..
wcsoldier81

Postby LakersN4 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:13 pm

The only thing I'm looking foward to more than the draft lottery & seeing how free agency plays out for us is seeing Kobe come back & prove everyone wrong.. The last time this guy was healthy he took charge of the team & willed us into the playoffs in what looked like a lost season.. Time to show them once again that you never count out any team with Kobe Bryant on it.
LakersN4

Postby TIME on Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:25 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:

Or a magic wand.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Vasashi17 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:18 pm

TIME wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:

Or a magic wand.

Loaded with a 1st round pick. :man9:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion