Kobe Thread: Bucher- Kobe = Father of Team USA Success p.819

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion (dropped 16 lbs - pg 312)

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:33 pm

^^^ :man10: Yeah he does have an "unsettling" look to him.... hope we're wrong
LTLakerFan

Postby nthydro on Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:53 am

wallangong wrote:that blonde kid in the front looks like he's from Children of the Corn. Do not like.

I think he's a Celtics fan
nthydro

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:17 am

" I don't want to be like Steve Blake when I grow up !"
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:03 am

wallangong wrote:that blonde kid in the front looks like he's from Children of the Corn. Do not like.

:man10: :man10: :man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby SK8 on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:04 pm

Sooooo Kobe is not popular anymore or what? :D Just kidding :man13: This guy is just amazing, i just don't know what more can i say.....17 years in league, running and just destroying those youngsters. Just amazing and smart basketball tonight, looking great out there with Dwight, and that lob to Howard throw me back in Kobe-Shaq days. Weeee are going to see a lot of those kind of plays this year, and i can't wait!! :jam2:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Postby Tragic on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:13 pm

Kobe looks healthy :jam2:
Tragic

Postby therealdeal on Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:16 pm

He looks really good physically. I think he looks about as good as we could hope at this point in his career. Defensively he turns the switch from time to time, but is generally solid.

Offensively, he's going to have so many opportunities. His shot selection is already better and with the full starting five out there, the floor is really open for him.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby shoe on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:27 pm

He looks pretty good so far and actually looks a little quicker on his drives to the basket than in recent years.
shoe

Postby last stand on Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:39 pm

Kobe can just stroll and score now. Everything is so spaced and open. He barely worked and put up 20 points on like 60% shooting

I think Kobe may hit that elusive 50% at least I hope he does.
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby karacha on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:58 am

He looks great and scores easier then ever. He's super efficient now.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby havoc33 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:01 am

No way is Kobe hitting 50% of his shots for a whole season, he is too streaky. I would be very, very pleased though if he could finish at 47-48%.
havoc33

Postby last stand on Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:38 am

He is streaky, but he's been getting more wide open shots than he's ever had. Kobe's past is going to be difficult to apply here because he's never had a team like this

He's never had a creator, he's never had a movement big like Howard who doesn't take up space but actually creates it with his off ball movement

The holes are gaping, this is unprecedented for Kobe, his workload is much less and the spaces are more open.
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby The Rock on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:15 pm

some thoughts on Kobe's defense

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2012/10/22/3535540/kobe-bryant-leads-a-shaky-shooting-guard-rotation

Here's the thing about Kobe: When he's not guarding someone that will actively posses the ball, he's pretty awful. According to Synergy, of players that guarded at least 200 spot-up possession last season, Kobe gave up the fifth most points per possession (LeBron was right behind him at sixth). For whatever reason, he loses focus when he's on a spot-up shooter and does a poor job closing out.

But when Kobe is assigned to someone who will actually handle the ball on offense, he's still a very respectable defender. One of the main reasons the Lakers were able to capture the 2010 NBA Title was Bryant switching on to Rajon Rondo while poor Derek Fisher chased Ray Allen around for 40 minutes a night. The Lakers implored a similar strategy earlier in the playoffs that year when Bryant guarded Russell Westbrook instead of Thabo Sefolosha. Bryant guarded 41 pick-and-rolls during the 2012 post-season and he held his man to 21% shooting in those situations. Keep in mind, the majority of those possessions came against James Harden, Russell Westbrook and Ty Lawson, so that's a pretty impressive stat. Kobe also held his man to 34% shooing in isolation situations during the regular season.

So when Bryant is given a tough assignment, he can still be relied upon to produce at an above average level, or, at the very least, an above (insert Laker point guard here) level. Switching Bryant onto the opposing point guard still appears to be the Lakers best course of action when they reach the post-season, though such a strategy may not work against the Thunder when they have James Harden in the game.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:37 pm

What I've seen from him so far this pre-season is just increased activity. He's really trying to play Safety in this defense when he doesn't have an assignment. He certainly looks more engaged than he has the last two seasons.

I wouldn't say he can lock people down very much anymore. At least no while producing offensively. But he's still a good defender and has good defensive instincts. He had that great stretch against the Jazz where he forced something like 3-4 turnovers in a row.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:15 pm

Kobe looks like crap.... OK I don't have TWC so I haven't seen any of the games so I am making a random hate post to show it. Yup, Kobe shoots to much, he jumps to little and his eyes are slightly crossed which is why he will never be as good as he was. :mad1:

OK random specialness over. Carry on with actual conversation of people who have seen him play this preseason.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby XXIV on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter
Kobe Bryant has a strained & bruised right foot, sustained in the 3rd Q last night. He didn't practice today & is listed as day-to-day.

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter
Bryant returned to the game after hurting the foot, & was moving fine. Injury not thought to be serious.
XXIV

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:28 pm

There goes Kobe again...trying to injure his teammates. :disagree:

Funny how the Woj article said Kobe doesn't like to joke and mess around, but when he's on the court, and he has a chance to try something fancy, he'll do it, sometimes its amazing, sometimes its a turnover, sometimes...it can lead to injury.

In your own words Kobe, play some mfn ball.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:31 pm

The problem with having an older team under the spotlight: we're going to see all of these tiny injuries that are really not consequential, but we'll get worried.

This worries me.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:37 pm

therealdeal wrote:The problem with having an older team under the spotlight: we're going to see all of these tiny injuries that are really not consequential, but we'll get worried.

This worries me.

Was thinking the same thing. I'm sure Kobe's fine since he continued to play through the injury yesterday, but just hearing this type of news makes a Laker fan worried.
XXIV

Postby Vasashi17 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:44 pm

^^^I took it another way fellas.

Its a built-in alibi for the media to not ask about why Kobe ain't at practice till we play our next preseason game. Clearly Kobe is ready and the deficiencies we have can be fine-tuned with upcoming preseason games (ie starter's developing chemistry, Dwight getting conditioning back, etc).

Practice should be used for hammering the offense with the 2nd unit now. The rest will come in time and Kobe knows that.

Kobe has earned and deserves some time off...nothing more, nothing less. I'm not concerned. Actually I would be concerned if they don't use Nash's ankle as reason to give him time off too.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby Tragic on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:13 pm

He looked fine in the fourth quarter in terms of moving around with the injured foot..Just praying it ain't serious :bang:
Tragic

Postby Finwë on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:21 pm

Not worried about this
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby The Rock on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:22 pm

its apparently the same foot that bothered him earlier in training camp and he had to miss a couple of practices

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby kray28 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:54 pm

I don't think this is serious...but it might give them an excuse to keep him out of a couple of exhibitions.
kray28

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Vasashi17 wrote:^^^I took it another way fellas.

Its a built-in alibi for the media to not ask about why Kobe ain't at practice till we play our next preseason game. Clearly Kobe is ready and the deficiencies we have can be fine-tuned with upcoming preseason games (ie starter's developing chemistry, Dwight getting conditioning back, etc).

Practice should be used for hammering the offense with the 2nd unit now. The rest will come in time and Kobe knows that.

Kobe has earned and deserves some time off...nothing more, nothing less. I'm not concerned. Actually I would be concerned if they don't use Nash's ankle as reason to give him time off too.

I think they should be running two separate baskets with the same drills. Just moving the ball through the offense for an hour or two or three with both the starters AND the bench guys. The bench needs it, but so do the starters. They looked lost out there at times and they need to start learning how to share the ball the right way.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion