Kobe Bryant Discussion:#3 All Time!

Re: Kobe Discussion: The Return-over

Postby nolQQkpass on Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:55 pm

kobes game is like melo. no d, iso basketball..u dont get the ball swinging around from one side to the other. its stops the rhythm of the game. melo injured in new york, lin and company would freelance to a open destination.. the ball would swing, it was fun to watch..melo returned, team play dropped. this is whats happening in la.. when kobe was injured, we'd play freely. run and just get open.. it was fun to watch our young guys... now kobes back, he runs point. directs traffic, slows down everything. adrenaline, instincts, tempo and rhythm
nolQQkpass

Postby yoki24 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:06 am

All dat ball movement and their offense rating without Kobe was still a pedestrian 19th in the league. They were 28th in free-throw rate, 25th in 2PT%, and bottom 3 in ORB%. But hey, the ball was moving!

Meanwhile, their offensive rating tonight (113.4) was amazing and among their best for the season.

And lol @ comparing Melo to a 5-time champion. What a joke.
yoki24

Postby Kit on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:25 am

When Kobe is not really an offensive threat for now, nobody gets open from double teaming Kobe. He gotta stop running into Blake when Blake has the ball and let Blake do his thing. Kobe keeps trying to set screens for Blake and bring his man with him and trapping Blake. Defensively he is worse than last year for now. He got lucky kept leaving his man all the open shots but his man just missed them. I also think that Kobe gotta stop waving his hand and demanding the ball every time someone has the damn ball. Run your offense!!
Kit

Postby Finwë on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:48 am

yoki24 wrote:All dat ball movement and their offense rating without Kobe was still a pedestrian 19th in the league. They were 28th in free-throw rate, 25th in 2PT%, and bottom 3 in ORB%. But hey, the ball was moving!

Meanwhile, their offensive rating tonight (113.4) was amazing and among their best for the season.

This.

Kobe had a solid offensive game tonight, and the team did pretty good as a whole.

The biggest problem IMO was transition D and defensive rebounding. We gave up SO MANY transition or semi transition buckets.. terrible offensive scheme when it comes to balance and being able to run back effectively.
Kobe is clearly slower so far and he didn't help our transition D one bit..
His 1 on 1 D is still good, and he didn't really roam that much.. problema was he didn't box out as often as he needed to, and was terrible in transition D.
Overall, a decent game from him, a bit better than expected on O, but still has a lot of work to do.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:25 am

yoki24 wrote:All dat ball movement and their offense rating without Kobe was still a pedestrian 19th in the league. They were 28th in free-throw rate, 25th in 2PT%, and bottom 3 in ORB%. But hey, the ball was moving!

You know what's not amazing? Being 0-2 since Kobe returned. You know what was amazing? Winning 5/7 before Kobe returned. He's a ball stopper & our offense is suffering as a result, not to mention the defense from him not getting back. Not saying we don't need Kobe, but RIGHT NOW our team is paying the consequences of inserting him back in the line-up.

BTW, he wasn't comparing him to Melo in terms of legacy, all he said was that they are both ball stoppers, which they are.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby kenzo on Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:26 am

Kit wrote:When Kobe is not really an offensive threat for now, nobody gets open from double teaming Kobe. He gotta stop running into Blake when Blake has the ball and let Blake do his thing. Kobe keeps trying to set screens for Blake and bring his man with him and trapping Blake. Defensively he is worse than last year for now. He got lucky kept leaving his man all the open shots but his man just missed them. I also think that Kobe gotta stop waving his hand and demanding the ball every time someone has the damn ball. Run your offense!!

Bolded and quoted for truth. Not every posession have to come thru you Kobe :man12:
kenzo

Postby Barnstable on Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:50 am

GoldenKnight wrote: Not saying we don't need Kobe, but RIGHT NOW our team is paying the consequences of inserting him back in the line-up.

And the alternative would be what? Play him 5 min a game? Bench him till next season?

We have a better team than most expected before the start of the season, but what exactly are we giving up by integrating him? We aren't going to be fighting for playoff positioning for home court throughout the playoffs, or winning the division, so what is the consequences other than losing a few more games in the short term, and the potential to win more in the long term once the team learns to play with him, and Kobe shakes off the rust.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:01 am

It's only 2 games folks, relax.. Kobe has made more adjustments & additions to his game than any player I can remember.. He will adjust to his limitations & get in better shape, & he'll find a way to make this team win more games than they would have without him.. Not a single doubt in my mind. We just have to be patient. There's no other way for him to get in game shape & figure out what his role needs to be other than getting out there & playing as much as he can. The biggest negative impact Kobe is having on the team right now is his chemistry with Pau leading to Pau seeing the floor when he shouldn't. Until Kobe gets some of that athleticism & explosion back we need to be surrounding him with Wes, Hill, Meeks, X, Williams, Sacre as much as possible. We're going to have a very tough time playing defense against anyone with a recovering Kobe sharing the floor with Pau so much.
LakersN4

Postby LOSLAKERS on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:09 am

Who cares if the team is paying "the price". You honestly think you can win anything without Kobe down the line? Better to get him going sooner rather than later. You can't get into a groove playing tidbits of minutes here and there.
LOSLAKERS

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:38 am

So people were hyped about this team doing well , fighting for a playoffs spot (and against tanking it) and now that Kobe is back and we are 0-2 , the message is "who cares anyway , this team isn't going anywhere" :man10:

The pb in the big picture is we are going to have 2 more seasons of Kobe still thinking he's a number 1 guy on a championship team and unwilling to adapt for the most part .... and early playoffs exits as a result ...
wcsoldier81

Postby LakersN4 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:01 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:So people were hyped about this team doing well , fighting for a playoffs spot (and against tanking it) and now that Kobe is back and we are 0-2 , the message is "who cares anyway , this team isn't going anywhere" :man10:

The pb in the big picture is we are going to have 2 more seasons of Kobe still thinking he's a number 1 guy on a championship team and unwilling to adapt for the most part .... and early playoffs exits as a result ...

Coming off a serious injury, surgery, & 7 months of not being able to do anything that even comes close to emulating running the hardwood.. 2 games back & you're declaring that Kobe is no longer a #1 guy on a championship team? I could understand if he was some run of the mill star, but this is Kobe Bean Bryant we're talking about here.. I don't understand how anyone could write him off, especially this quickly.
LakersN4

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:04 am

Nothing I was saying was related to his injury ....

He had a great offensive season prior to the injury .... still he wasn't a number 1 guy on a championship team .... you just can't ignore one side of the ball ....
wcsoldier81

Postby MC on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:17 am

Soldier - that point is meaningless....... there is only 1 champion each year, does that mean every other star on the other teams that didn't win can't be #1 options on a championship team? is only Lebron that now because of the Cheats? you really think a guy like Durant can't lead a team to a championship, not even the potential? based on your statement you would say no because he hasn't done it.

Lets not act like the Lakers put a solid team around the guy either..... Nash and Howard signings looked good on paper but neither player was remotely the same guys they were and it's still that way to this day. Combine that with 2 of the worst coaching decisions I've seen this franchise make and it's not exactly been tailored for this team to improve their odds at winning a title.

Bryant will never be the Bryant of old but with the right pieces around him he certainly can lead a team to a title..... that's on the front office to get it done.

-----------------

As far as this team playing better just before Bryant came...they were....vs eastern opponents and the bottom of the west + the warriors without their #1 guy..... anyone pay attention to the east these days? the teams there are horrible. The Lakers are back facing more western opponents, much stiffer even when it's the basement of the west compared to the East outside of maybe 3 teams.

Until this BONEHEAD coach stops with the small ball, this team will get pounded vs western foes.......... don't let the lipstick fool ya, a modest winning streak vs Eastern foes doesn't make this pig into a pageant winner. Bryant is 100% correct although I do understand why our special Olympics coach responded to it in his special way.
Last edited by MC on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby purp n gold on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:18 am

I think the "pretty good for a guy who tore his Achilles" qualifier will get pretty tired soon, but still, 20 pts from a guy who tore his Achilles 7 months ago is still pretty damn impressive.

He's gonna get better.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:44 am

MC wrote:Soldier - that point is meaningless....... there is only 1 champion each year, does that mean every other star on the other teams that didn't win can't be #1 options on a championship team? is only Lebron that now because of the Cheats? you really think a guy like Durant can't lead a team to a championship, not even the potential? based on your statement you would say no because he hasn't done it.

Lets not act like the Lakers put a solid team around the guy either..... Nash and Howard signings looked good on paper but neither player was remotely the same guys they were and it's still that way to this day. Combine that with 2 of the worst coaching decisions I've seen this franchise make and it's not exactly been tailored for this team to improve their odds at winning a title.

Bryant will never be the Bryant of old but with the right pieces around him he certainly can lead a team to a title..... that's on the front office to get it done.

-----------------

As far as this team playing better just before Bryant came...they were....vs eastern opponents and the bottom of the west + the warriors without their #1 guy..... anyone pay attention to the east these days? the teams there are horrible. The Lakers are back facing more western opponents, much stiffer even when it's the basement of the west compared to the East outside of maybe 3 teams.

Until this BONEHEAD coach stops with the small ball, this team will get pounded vs western foes.......... don't let the lipstick fool ya, a modest winning streak vs Eastern foes doesn't make this pig into a pageant winner. Bryant is 100% correct although I do understand why our special Olympics coach responded to it in his special way.

Not at all what I wanted to say ... I forgot the word "material"/caliber
wcsoldier81

Postby yoki24 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:45 am

GoldenKnight wrote:
You know what's not amazing? Being 0-2 since Kobe returned. You know what was amazing? Winning 5/7 before Kobe returned.

yeah lets just focus on those 7 games against a bunch of terrible teams . how about we look at the entire season.
10-9 record
10th in West
19th in offensive rating
19th in defensive rating
0.09 SRS
almost every win was against a crappy team

basically, total and complete mediocrity. but hey, if you're impressed by that. :man10:

He's a ball stopper & our offense is suffering as a result, not to mention the defense from him not getting back

stop lying. the offense vs the Suns was amazing. 113.5 offensive rating. again, they were 19th in offensive rating before he came back. bottom 3 in ORB%. 25th in 2PT%, and 28th in FT rate. get real. their offense was dreary at best without him.

BTW, he wasn't comparing him to Melo in terms of legacy, all he said was that they are both ball stoppers, which they are.

yeah, the guy who is coming off a season where he led all SG in APG and assist rate is a "ball-stopper". good one. what a joke. :man10:
yoki24

Postby yoki24 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:54 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:So people were hyped about this team doing well , fighting for a playoffs spot (and against tanking it) and now that Kobe is back and we are 0-2 , the message is "who cares anyway , this team isn't going anywhere" :man10:

10-9 and below-league average on both sides of the ball. 10th in the West. 0.09 SRS. oh yeah, they were doing so well without him. truly thunderously dominant stuff. :man10:
yoki24

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:39 am

better than expected
wcsoldier81

Postby trodgers on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:28 am

We were not good before Kobe. We're not instantly better either. It's almost like we're letting our best player work his way back into form.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:29 am

Ramona Shelburne ‏@ramonashelburne 3h
Word is Lakers expecting to use @kobebryant more as a 3/4 going forward, than as a facilitator.
Expand

Power Forward?

My face can't palm any harder.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby trodgers on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:35 am

WTF...? This amounts to D'Antoni giving up on defense in the halfcourt set?
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby revgen on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:50 am

I know Kobe has a very good postup game. But I think him playing the 4 is going overboard, even if that's only against 2nd unit defenses.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:34 am

Blake
Meeks
Young
Kobe
Johnson

I hope we see this lineup one day for trolling purposes
wcsoldier81

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:31 am

I hate to say this but the game has passed Gasol and Kobe by. They are just too slow and old to be effective on a consistent basis. They are a huge part of our problem on D because they simply don't have the legs to get back in transition. The whole dynamic of our team changes when they come in. When they are out, we are an exciting team with a ton of athleticism that can generate easy points off the break. The ball is always moving and we play great team ball. When they get in, everything slows down.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby SK8 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:52 am

Wow, some guys here...don't know even what to say, i don't want to call names, but come on, i think he did really good, better than expected, you can already see that he is more relaxed, in that first game, he couldn't blow by Landry Fields with that first step because he wasn't confident to push of hard of that left leg, but this game he blew by Tucker 2-3 times easily, that is already big improvement.
Easiest thing is to blame Kobe on everything, did Kobe guard Dragic who btw dropped 31, is his fault because we don't have real rim protector?
It's funny because even at 30%, Kobe is still best player on our team, that is telling you something.
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion