Kobe Bryant Discussion: Reason for Lakers downfall?

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion (dropped 16 lbs - pg 312)

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:11 pm

:bow: :bow:

That is the truth right there.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:28 pm

Amen.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Damn you Kobe and your insecurities.....
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Tragic on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:55 pm

MadMax wrote:
Leadership is responsibility.
There comes a point when one must make a decision. Are YOU willing to do what it takes to push the right buttons to elevate those around you? If the answer is YES, are you willing to push the right buttons even if it means being perceived as the villain? Here's where the true responsibility of being a leader lies. Sometimes you must prioritize the success of the team ahead of how your own image is perceived. The ability to elevate those around you is more than simply sharing the ball or making teammates feel a certain level of comfort. It's pushing them to find their inner beast, even if they end up resenting you for it at the time.

I'd rather be perceived as a winner than a good teammate. I wish they both went hand in hand all the time but that's just not reality. I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work and perseverance. No excuses.

This is my way. It might not be right for YOU but all I can do is share my thoughts. It’s on YOU to figure out which leadership style suits you best.

Will check back in with you soon.. Till then
Mamba out
Tragic

Postby checkers09 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:56 pm

This is my way. It might not be right for YOU but all I can do is share my thoughts. It’s on YOU to figure out which leadership style suits you best.

I really liked this. :jam2:

Yet as I watched him Monday, I could not help think how little it mattered and how right he is. He is not fading into the shadows. He does not know how to go out that way.[.]
checkers09

Postby checkers09 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:56 pm

I really liked this. :jam2:

Yet as I watched him Monday, I could not help think how little it mattered and how right he is. He is not fading into the shadows. He does not know how to go out that way.[.]
checkers09

Postby intuitivelOve on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:15 pm

MadMax wrote:
There comes a point when one must make a decision. Are YOU willing to do what it takes to push the right buttons to elevate those around you? If the answer is YES, are you willing to push the right buttons even if it means being perceived as the villain? Here's where the true responsibility of being a leader lies. Sometimes you must prioritize the success of the team ahead of how your own image is perceived. The ability to elevate those around you is more than simply sharing the ball or making teammates feel a certain level of comfort. It's pushing them to find their inner beast, even if they end up resenting you for it at the time.

I'd rather be perceived as a winner than a good teammate. I wish they both went hand in hand all the time but that's just not reality. I have nothing in common with lazy people who blame others for their lack of success. Great things come from hard work and perseverance. No excuses.

Mamba out

Kobe claps back at Smush! lol
intuitivelOve

Postby JSM on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:29 pm

KEVIN DING ‏@KevinDing

Brown called Kobe "spectacular at times defensively" tonight. Also praised Nash on D: "I like the way he's been defending."
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:57 am

I like how since he's nearing the end of his Career he isn't biting his tongue anymore. Once he gets his 6th ring I hope he just go all out, especially when it comes to the media he really needs to let them have it. One reason like Kobe not only as a basketball player but an individual is because he made it clear he's not put on the Earth to impress people personally he's here to do what he was created and brought here for :bow:
Jazzygirl205

Postby KB24 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:59 am

Doc Brown wrote:Image

:man10: :man10: :man10: :man10:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby intuitivelOve on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:10 pm

intuitivelOve

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:35 pm

intuitivelOve wrote:
Different speculations on what is going on with Kobe and his wife have been floating around, and with this footage, we are able to confirm that not only is the marriage on the rocks, but Kobe is living all alone in the doghouse. By the looks of it, Vanessa is definitely regulating on Kobe, and continues to punish him for recent scandals. She has also stopped wearing her $4 million wedding band, according to several reports.

http://www.starzuncut.com/2012/10/13/kobe-bryant-split-with-wife-living-alone-and-possibly-heading-for-divorce/

WoW....

WoW? WoW at you with this whole WEIRD anti Kobe thing you do here on a Lakers forum. Get a life or a new forum. Do you do this over at LG too? Really it's creepy.
LTLakerFan

Postby intuitivelOve on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:49 pm

For me, the most striking part of Smush's 40-minute interview on the Hard 2 Guard podcast was the very beginning, when he says, "It makes me blush — for my name to still come out of that man's mouth?" Incredulous, frustrated, Smush has a weary air that says "Can't Kobe just let me move on with my career?" Of course, the answer is no, and Smush seems to know by now that whatever he says to defend himself, the deck of public opinion is stacked in Kobe's favor. Kobe is the NBA legend. He's the player who'll likely be competing for an NBA championship this season. He's the guy to whom reporters can't afford to lose access. Kobe's mouthpiece is ESPN, Lakers.com, and the Los Angeles Times. Smush's mouthpiece is Hard 2 Guard. It doesn't matter if Smush is right, because Kobe is bigger than him, and Kobe is better than him, and the NBA needs Kobe.

But Smush is right. Kobe's record as a teammate is not a pretty one, and it grows out of a mind-set that Smush described on the podcast: "Basketball is a team sport … It's not tennis or golf, it is a team sport. When you are the star of the team, you have to make your teammates feel comfortable. You have to make them feel welcome. And he did not do that at all."

Not only did he make them feel unwelcome, but over the years Kobe has joyfully attacked lesser teammates and treated fellow Lakers stars like rivals instead of allies. There's the Smush smear campaign, the recent clowning of Jodie Meeks, and the way Kobe mocked DJ Mbenga's English4 on Jimmy Kimmel Live after the 2010 championship. Kobe also drove Shaq out of town and, in the midst of Kobe's 2003 rape trial, outed Shaq's marital infidelities. Kobe has publicly questioned nearly every basketball decision-gone-wrong that Pau Gasol has made in a Lakers jersey, including making last year's "Pau's got to be more assertive" speech after the Lakers fell into a 3-1 series hole against the Thunder.

Smush was able to respond comfortably and — as it seems to me — honestly to Kobe's insults because he no longer has anything to lose by helping Kobe preserve his image. The NBA is done with Smush and he knows it, so he might as well speak his mind. Smush's stories about Kobe separating himself from the other Lakers at team dinners, the anecdotes about being instructed that he was not allowed to speak to Kobe because he hadn't accomplished enough, foreshadow the arrival of what could be a dark chapter in Kobe Bryant's legacy — the stories of all the lesser teammates he gleefully hounded and bullied during his record-breaking career.

Eventually, Kobe and his teammates will retire from basketball. Eventually, the people he stepped on will have nothing to lose by sharing a few stories about his behavior. And eventually, some of them will decide to tell those stories. Will those stories change the way we look at one of the greatest basketball players of all time? It depends how bad, how ugly, how craven they are. But if that happens, then maybe Smush Parker won't just go down in history as the also-ran on whom Kobe shat whenever he had the chance. Maybe Smush will go down as one of Kobe's first ex-teammates to speak out.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/8511976/me-smush-happens-rafe-bartholomew-childhood-teammate-becomes-nba-player-becomes-kobe-bryant-enemy
intuitivelOve

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:50 pm

For the last time, nobody cares about Smush Parker.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby intuitivelOve on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:56 pm

therealdeal wrote:For the last time, nobody cares about Smush Parker.

obviously somebody do because people still writing about it.
intuitivelOve

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:58 pm

Correction: you are the only one on this site who cares about Smush Parker.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:32 pm

intuitivelOve wrote:
therealdeal wrote:For the last time, nobody cares about Smush Parker.

obviously somebody do because people still writing about it.

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Finwë on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:40 pm

:man10: :man10:
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:43 pm

MadMax wrote:

Mamba out

Kobe always, always speaks the truth. That's what I love most about him. Can't wait for this season to start.

Kobe will be getting ring #6. :jam2:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:45 pm

That's one of the worst written Kobe pieces I've ever read. I love how he states as a fact that "Kobe drove Shaq out of town", ya that's not a tired thing to harp on. That writer sounds like a fan blogger of some Laker rival team, the Kobe hate drips off the page, sad. MJ is praised for being a jerk and wanting to win at all costs, not being a 'nice guy' to teammates, Kobe is a bad person for doing the same, it's a joke and the NBA has gotten soft in that regard, oh boo hoo Kobe hurt Smush's feelings.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:01 pm

I didn't read the rest, and I'm glad I didn't, probably would have just annoyed or pissed me off more. When I see Kobe hate that blatant I just don't bother, there are players I hate, but I still respect their games and accomplishments.

Edit: Alright I got curious and skimmed through the rest of the article. Everything written before the excerpt posted here was better, it at least showed some more insight into Smush, pointed out how he disrespected Phil and didn't celebrate with Kobe when he hit that playoff game-winner. I'm not sure about us forgetting 'the role he played' in that series though, other than that game and those steals (and maybe a 3 before that leading up to us only being down 2? I can't remember if he made a good big play or a terrible big play that we had to make up for, been a while) I remember him being pretty much garbage that series. Maybe I remember wrong, but I could swear he was one of the big reasons we ultimately lost.

Smush had game, like I said in this thread or another, he averaged solid numbers with us thanks to Phil and Kobe partly, but he pouted, he had a bad attitude, he didn't seem to care that much about winning, and that's obviously a big part of why he and Kobe didn't get along. I seriously can't even believe we're still talking about him at this point, and Kobe is right the only reason he was here was because the Lakers couldn't afford a real PG. He could shoot, I remember that game he had like 26 and was raining 3's, and he could get to the hoop decently, but his d was matador style bad, and again his attitude was horrible. Instead of making the most of the huge opportunity he got here and being grateful, he left and his stats went right back to where they were before he came here. Maybe Kobe didn't need to bring him up, but he and those horrible Laker teams that Kobe absolutely carried in his prime probably still stick in the back of Kobe's mind and bother him, so he did. I imagine he hates thinking back on his best years being wasted with that squad, how he only ended up with 1 MVP while carrying that team while others have more than him that probably shouldn't, and how he should have more rings than he does now because if he even had a half decent team around him when he was a 35ppg scorer at the top of his game he could have won a few more. He reflected on that time when talking about Nash's MVP's, and he was honest, no big deal, I don't see why people are making this some sort of war between Kobe and Smush, Smush is a tiny footnote in Kobe's career and he's only even a little relevant because of Kobe.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:24 pm

Kobe was the only player worth watching tonight.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby GoldenKnight on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:26 pm

23 points 9-11fg in 3rd quarter, THE BLACK MAMBA

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:28 pm

Kobe isn't gunna wait around for mike brown to start coaching the team. Even if its a preseason game he wants to win. Wish everyone had the same effort tonight bc that was embarrassing. no offense. no defense tonight.

Meeks and Kobe were the only positives of this game and it came in the 2nd half after the game was already a blowout and over anyways. when will all the great things were hearing about this team in their practices show up in real games??
Ariza3

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Kobe was Kobe tonight. Same old Kobe. Just dominating like he's done throughout his terrific career. Expect to see more of that when the real season starts in a couple of weeks. Playing with Nash and Howard will make his life so much easier. With Nash now a Laker, Kobe can play off the ball more and just be a flat out scorer. No more having to facilitate for others all the time. With Dwight he can gamble more for steals and be a safety type guy because he knows he's got that big bad man behind to back him up if he gets blown by. Also he will be getting alot more assists off alley oops. More than he ever has most likely.

Kobe has to be really happy right now. Last season he was the only legit playmaker on the roster. He had to shoot 20-25 times a game and get 5-10 assists for the team to compete. Not the case anymore. He can just shoot 15-20 times a game and won't have to get, but 3-4 assists a night for this team to win ball games and be a dominant basketball team.
Texas Lakers Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion