Kobe Discussion: Shutting it down; Puts Lakers FO on blast

Re: Kobe Bryant Discussion: Magic Mamba

Postby King of Clutch on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:39 pm

Weezy wrote:I'm just gonna throw it out there that I personally like Kobe's leadership style. He is not afraid to be the bad guy publicly in order to win, and I want that guy on my team. Not everyone likes that, but I much prefer it to a guy who cares what the media thinks and holds stuff back to look like a nice guy. Kobe's not a nice guy when it comes to winning and it's gotten us 5 titles, so I say he can say what he wants when it concerns what it takes to win.

Thhis. It can't be said enough. In today's day and age, everyone tip toes around what may sound like rash statements, to prevent themselves being from being frowned upon by the public. Most people care too much about that, and won't say controversial things, even when it may be detrimental to the team. Kobe wants to win. In whatever means means necessary. Not everyone can do that.
King of Clutch

Postby Murdock on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:47 pm

therealdeal wrote:Kobe's both right and wrong.

All I hope is that this information went to Dwight first, otherwise Kobe is being a pretty huge hypocrit. :man10: But I don't doubt Kobe has been saying this stuff to Dwight in the locker room.

Dwight DOES need to man up. I know it hurts, but if the labrum is legitimately torn from the bone (which is what we've been made to understand) then it's not going to get FURTHER damaged. It's hit the maximum level of damage and it requires surgery to fix. Well since he won't hurt it further, he's got to play through it. I know Kobe would and I also know that's an unfair comparison, but if Dwight is going to win rings he has to realize the level of dedication that you need. Kobe really is putting him through the flames right now and I honestly think Dwight can make it through... I just hope he does it soon. We need him on the court now more than ever. He's GOT to come back.

well if it is really torn up all the way then he needs a surgery and not trying to play through the pain ... doesn't matter he can!t damage that particular ligament any further he creates inflamations, and puts stress on other ligaments thus creating more potent situation for further injuring it ... if it is torn - repair it
Murdock

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:51 pm

That's not the way Kobe operates and Kobe has had the same injury (as has Lamar). You can't further injure that particular part of the shoulder. Inflammation isn't injury, it's just inflammation and can be treated. Stressing other parts of the shoulder is possible, but that's why he's supposed to be strengthening his shoulder in other areas when he's got time.

Obviously Kobe has his own opinions on what needs to happen, but that's Kobe's perspective and I can't hold that against him any more than I can hold Dwight's fear against him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby NeeJee on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:53 pm

People just need to understand that Kobe is a different kind of human being. The combination of his pain threshold, will, hunger, determination and love the of the game is purely unmatched in all of basketball. He's played through so many injuries it's ridiculous. The media is just doing their jobs in blowing this whole thing out of proportion. Their simply stirring the pot. Dwight is clearly annoyed by it. The media (TV, radio, internet) goes from 6 to midnight when Kobe says stuff like this because it gives them something to talk/write about.
NeeJee

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:54 pm

I feel like Kobe is saying all the things to get Dwight in the right frame of mind of now, but when Kobe is done and Dwight has to be in charge, and i hope Dwight understands that Kobe really is trying to push him, help him, motivate him into doing the things necessary to be successful and not the a-hole that everyone things he is.

I think Dwight will get it, I just hope he gets it fast so he shows what Kobe has been teaching him and it makes him want to stay next season and everything.

If Dwight leaves, I feel like the Lakers will really need to rebound from that quickly or it might kill the team for a while.
The Laker Link

Postby Finwë on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:07 pm

This is cool, Hardwood Paroxysm's write up on Kobe's All-star profile:

2013 All-Star Profiles: Kobe Bryant
February 7, 2013 in by Clint Peterson

The longest recorded lifespan of a black mamba was in captivity, 14 years, or one year less than Kobe Bryant’s record consecutive All-Star Games streak of 15 years. In the wild, a black mamba lives only an average of 11 years, but with careful supervision it can live for 12 or more, or in Kobe’s case, including playoffs, an astounding 52,000-plus NBA minutes in 17 years and counting.

Even more remarkable is the level Kobe’s still producing at, one of his best statistical years coming in what would be far beyond twilight for virtually every other player in the NBA. It’s not much of a reach to put him in the MVP conversation even at his geriatric NBA age. Almost 20 years into his career and he’s lifted and carried the Lakers in his talons like an eagle, keeping them in the hunt in the West practically single-handedly, scavenging wins from his lofty perch where few others saw them.

Bryant has a willpower unequaled in the league, the capability to snatch victories from the jaws of defeat from the depths when you least expect it. You can be tromping along merrily on your way to a win when suddenly, like a saltwater crocodile, he bursts forth from the murky darkness and snaps his jaws shut on your neck, dragging you under the surface kicking and mewing wildly with eyes round and dilating in a panicky struggle to find your footing and breath.

But like the croc, Kobe tends to miss more often than hit, and if you can manage to coax his jaws shut by letting him try and take you on in the open one-on-one away from the water, you can keep them that way without much trouble. Solitary hunter Kobe, far from the rim isn’t nearly as deadly, although all it takes is once, and you never forget. The scars from a direct hit can last years.

Wolf pack Kobe is much more dangerous as he cuts in and among the trees, the pack taking turns snapping at you from all angles, sharing duties in a common cause to bring you down and tear your soul from your bloodied body. As the alpha dog, the pack goes as Kobe goes, following his lead, fending off attacks together while taking turns darting in to share in the kill. Bryant is capable of being this beast at will, but has rarely chosen to do so throughout his career. His contract lifespan is one more year, 18, to match the beast in the wild. Will he use this final year as a pack hunter or the lone wolf we’ve become accustomed to seeing so often, especially at the end of games?

Kobe Bryant is an animal, a beast with a legendary tolerance for pain that rivals that of the thick-skinned rhino, king of pain among the wilds. The only question, the only quest left at this point, is can he also not manage be as stubborn as a mule and continue leading this pack back to the promised land before even his time comes, as it inevitably will, to board the ark and sail off into the foam and swells.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:12 pm

:man9: Fun little read there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:15 pm

Funny read. Kobe can't be in MVP discussions though, our record is too terrible. I can see him getting a couple votes if we went on a tear the rest of the season with him playing this way and we get like the 7th seed, but no player with a team seeded that low ever gets real consideration.

Side note, I have to give credit to LEBRONSPN the past few days for really celebrating that Kobe dunk, normally his great plays are just mentioned real quick so they can get to more LeBron highlights. They've showed that dunk over and over on almost every show they have, ATH, PTI, SportsNation, they even did a Kobe top 10 dunks on SportsCenter. Usually it has to be his birthday or the anniversary of his 81 point game for them to feature Kobe highlights.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:28 pm

^ Good point. Props to them for giving Kobe a modicum of respect. It's greatly appreciated.

Although I thought their top 10 list was eh. :man9:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:06 pm

If the Lakers recover and make the playoffs then Kobe should be in the MVP discussion. Should he win? No. Consideration? Hell yea.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:58 pm

On the topic the media is discussing all day today, did Kobe cross the line calling out Dwight, some interesting points were brought up on PTI. Steve Kerr was asked of Jordan ever did this teammates, told them to man up and play, he said yes all the time, only it was behind closed doors. He added he doesn't know if that's because it's a different time we live in where everything seems to leak out or for some other reason. He also said too much in general of what's going on with the Lakers is leaking, like what went on in that big team meeting leaking almost immediately.

Wilbon said what Kobe said was fine because he's a great star player and all stars have probably done this (Jordan, Magic, Bird, Oscar, etc). Kornheiser pointed something interesting out though, he suggested that Kobe learned challenging teammates in the media from Phil Jackson. I hadn't even considered that, but it seems to be a good theory, Kobe's called out Pau, called out Dwight, and I'm sure others I forget, through the media, something Phil always did. I also heard somebody say today that Kobe probably has said this to Dwight publicly, but Dwight cares much more how the media and people view him, so Kobe calling him out that way might be more motivation for him to get back on the court.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby escitnj on Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:50 pm

Games like these make me wish I got into basketball, specifically the Lakers, a lot earlier in my life. I'm watching it right now, great game so far (somewhat.. :man11: ) Or by Kobe and Nash at least. But not to diverge from the game and what you guys are discussing here (also I wasn't sure to put this post, or make a new thread. It's more of just my own thoughts about how I feel as a fan.) but I was just reading something about the Lakers and the Celtics, which from what I can tell is probably the greatest rivalry in the history of all sports, and it made me think of the 2010 NBA Finals between LA and Boston, the first basketball playoff series I've ever seriously watched as a high school kid (I'm really late, I know). But I remember how great of a series that was, from Game 1 to Game 7. Living on the East Coast, almost everyone around here hates the Lakers so that was legitimately the first time I ever saw the Lakers play and win a championship. I was literally just flipping through channels, and I didn't even know there were NBA playoffs going on until I got to ABC and I saw Kobe hit this crazy fadeaway jump shot. I remember how awesome it was to watch this team. How stunning Kobe Bryant was with his moves and determination to win, his WILL to win. By Fisher's leadership. Lamar Odom's versatility as an athlete, Ron Artest with that clutch three to seal the title. Phil Jackson, the legend himself. The Triangle offense. And you know there was something unique about this team. As I see Kobe finish out the tail end of his career, I just wonder if these Lakers will be extraordinary to watch like so many die hard fans can attest to once he retires and seeing all of you on CL and all my other Laker fan friends, most people have been a fan at LEAST since the late 1990s or so. Some of you have over 20000, even 30,000 posts and that just shows how passionate you are about this team and how much you know about the game, the technicalities to the history of the Lakers.
Magic Johnson, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Shaquille O'Neal, the Afro Kobe/Prime Shaq era...Yeah I've missed all that, so all I can do now is look up Youtube videos and get to know the Lakers history (I bought the "Complete History" NBA dynasty DVD series) and try to enjoy it 10 years later and pretend I know something about the Lakes. Picked up a few snapbacks, Kobe jerseys, championship shirts etc. And not only did I want more Lakers stuff but I wanted to represent my admiration for the teamBut it's hard to accept I've missed so much of the history that's already been made. It distinguishes me from the other fans. I don't know as much, and I haven't seen much except for the last few years. And it just bums me out because I love basketball so much, it's my favorite sport, and the Lakers are my favorite team. And Kobe is someone I seriously look up to. His determination, his fearlessness, and ability to persevere and reach his goals without surrendering to fear or failure has been quite something to see. It would have been awesome to grow up around someone passionate about basketball and this franchise. And to just be part of the real, "die-hard" Laker fan base. But man...Ever since the first time I saw Lakers play I was inspired more than I thought I could be, even strengthened in a way. :jam2: :jam2:
Last edited by escitnj on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I don't want to be the next Michael Jordan, I only want to be Kobe Bryant."

-Kobe Bean Bryant

"Basketball, unlike football with its prescribed routes, is an improvisational game, similar to jazz. If someone drops a note, someone else must step into the vacuum and drive the beat that sustains the team."

PHIL JACKSON, The Last Season
escitnj

Kobe’s Defense

Postby lyth on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:09 pm

Here is the log from tonight.

Boston (Feb. 07, 2013)
Spoiler:
KOBE’S DEFENSE: 0 pts (1st QTR)
  • 7:50 18-feet Bradley over Bryant (Missed)
  • 7:20 at-rim Bradley over Bryant (Missed)
  • 1:40 10-feet Pierce over Bryant (Missed)
KOBE’S DEFENSE: 0 pts (2nd QTR)
  • 3:20 23-feet Pierce over Bryant (Missed)
  • 1:25 Pierce drove on Bryant (Stripped)
KOBE’S DEFENSE: 2 pts (3rd QTR)
  • 10:55 Lee drove on Bryant (Stripped)
  • 8:05 18-feet Lee over Bryant (Missed)
  • 4:50 Pierce drew block on Bryant (Monty McCutchen)
  • 2:25 at-rim Bradley over Bryant (2 pts)
  • 0:05 23-feet Pierce over Bryant (Missed)
BRADLEY 1-3 FG | PIERCE 0-3 FG | LEE 0-1 FG
lyth

Postby trodgers on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:17 pm

Asked in GD thread, got no responses.

What could he have done differently? I thought he played a masterful game. His teammates laid an egg.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:19 pm

trodgers wrote:Asked in GD thread, got no responses.

What could he have done differently? I thought he played a masterful game. His teammates laid an egg.

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:21 pm

Yup he really didn't get much help. He saw early that guys weren't hitting their shots early so he decided he needed to score more to make sure it didn't get out of hand. Unfortunately he rest of the team continued to brick shots so his effort was muted.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby Finwë on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:22 pm

Doc Brown wrote:

:man10:
Pretty much.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:26 pm

27 points on 9-15 shooting. Zero assists because not one single guy he hit for an open shot could make a freaking shot. Had just HALF the guys he hit wide open made shots he would have had like 8 assists.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:29 pm

:man10:
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:13 pm

I would like it if Kobe tried to mold his career in the likeness of KAJ, not MJ. Instead of insisting to be the man on every championship run, just be an integral star. It looks like he can be a star in this league for more than another year, and changing his mentality would allow him to extend the window for winning.

Because of the new CBA, the lakers need to cut their losses this season and dump salary so this will be not count as an expensive year for them. Amnesty Pau, let Dwight expire, and try to rebuild next year.

Kobe needs to look more closely at MJ's and Cap's twilight of career. Neither were the best in the league anymore, but they were still clutch enough to help seal the deal at the end of a series. Kobe can still be that 3 or 4 years from now. Of course, MJ was still the man on his team in 98, but Cap wasn't in 88-89. But they were still clutch.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby odom1year on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:26 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:I would like it if Kobe tried to mold his career in the likeness of KAJ, not MJ. Instead of insisting to be the man on every championship run, just be an integral star. It looks like he can be a star in this league for more than another year, and changing his mentality would allow him to extend the window for winning.

Because of the new CBA, the lakers need to cut their losses this season and dump salary so this will be not count as an expensive year for them. Amnesty Pau, let Dwight expire, and try to rebuild next year.

Kobe needs to look more closely at MJ's and Cap's twilight of career. Neither were the best in the league anymore, but they were still clutch enough to help seal the deal at the end of a series. Kobe can still be that 3 or 4 years from now. Of course, MJ was still the man on his team in 98, but Cap wasn't in 88-89. But they were still clutch.

How long the passing 1st and sharing mode game of Kobe is ? I think Kobe answered your concern.
odom1year

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:34 pm

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:I would like it if Kobe tried to mold his career in the likeness of KAJ, not MJ. Instead of insisting to be the man on every championship run, just be an integral star. It looks like he can be a star in this league for more than another year, and changing his mentality would allow him to extend the window for winning.

He's trying what else can he do? He passed this season, he scored and all of the above. This team isn't build for him taking a backseat "At the moment". Once we get pieces around him via trades and such, then obe probably wouldn't care about being second fiddle, he even said it's better and less of strain to not have to do everything. Our future franchise player is hurt, considering if he stays. Nash is older too remember, we really don't have anymore reliable wing players. Pau is hurt and older, and his future is uncertain. All we really need honestly is a few more younger athletic pieces.
Jazzygirl205

Postby karacha on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:39 pm

odom1year wrote:How long the passing 1st and sharing mode game of Kobe is ? I think Kobe answered your concern.

Long. He was passing a lot today, for example.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Balance&Options24 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Stephan A said this morning that Kobe and Shaq met in Dec, and discussed the team. I wonder what they said about Dwight.
If you want to be a hero, you gotta take hero shots -R. Miller
Balance&Options24

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:49 pm

he played with energy, effort and put it out there but dudes once again didn't follow. Very few moved without the ball like they have done in the past few games. I thought Kobe played great. The rest of the team not so much.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion