Kobe/Dwight exchage words after PHI loss(report denied p1&2)

Kobe/Dwight exchage words after PHI loss(report denied p1&2)

Postby The Rock on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:24 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/brooklyn-benefactors-kobe-howard-feud-fuel-dwight-nets-deal-article-1.1234685

Dwight Howard and Kobe Bryant just can’t get along, and there’s a team in Brooklyn that might be waiting to pick up the pieces.

A league source told the Daily News that the Lakers stars got into a heated exchange following a New Year’s Day loss to the 76ers, and Bryant went for a low blow – referencing and agreeing with Shaquille O’Neal’s criticisms of Howard being soft.

Howard was restrained from going at his teammate, according to the source, and there have been rumblings from the center’s camp that he’s been unhappy with Bryant since earlier in the season.

Three days after the altercation, following a disheartening loss to the Clippers, Howard complained about the lack of chemistry on the Lakers. It was a comment seemingly directed at Bryant, who is averaging a league-high 22 shots despite playing with three potential Hall of Famers.

The Mike D’Antoni-coached Lakers fell to 15-18 after losing at home to the Denver Nuggets, 112-105, Sunday night despite Howard’s 26 rebounds. Bryant led L.A. with 29 points but took 26 shots.

“Look at the difference between our team and (the Clippers),” Howard said. “They just play together. They share the ball. Everybody’s excited when something happens.”

Howard again hinted at the disconnect on Saturday. There were always concerns over whether Bryant, a no-nonsense veteran, and Howard, a playful man-child, could co-exist.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... z2HHBY3e8V

(Chemistry) is something we have to do to get better,” Howard told reporters in L.A. “We have to play like we like each other. Even if we don’t want to be friends off the court, whatever that may be, when we step in between the lines or we step in the locker room or the gym, we have to respect each other and what we bring to the table.”

Howard, a pending free agent, has not committed to Los Angeles beyond this season.

If the Lakers decide Howard won’t re-sign, they risk losing him for nothing and it becomes more likely they trade the six-time All-Star.

The Nets spent all of last year trying to acquire Howard, who admitted in October that Brooklyn was his preferred destination.

The Nets are in a position to put together an enticing package if they know Howard would sign long-term to play with Deron Williams. The Nets’ previous proposals to the Magic centered around Brook Lopez, who is having a breakthrough season coming off foot surgery.

Lopez can’t be traded until Jan. 15 because he signed a four-year, $61 million deal in the summer. He is averaging 18.9 points and 7.4 rebounds, while Howard – who is coming off back surgery – is on pace for his worst statistical campaign (17.4 points, 12.0 rebounds) since his second season.

Prior to the trade that sent Howard to Los Angeles, Bryant reportedly told Howard he’d be the third offensive option if traded to the Lakers. Following the New Year’s Day loss to the 76ers, Bryant was ticked off at Howard and ticked off in front of the media.

“Cause we’re old as s---,” the 34-year-old told reporters, explaining the Lakers’ struggles. “What do you want? We just got to figure out how to play when we don’t have that energy.”

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: Kobe & Dwight got into a heated exchage after Loss vs PHI

Postby KB24 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:30 am

hot air.

I would be more concerned if Howard and Bryant would be playing pranks on each other while getting their *** kicked on the floor.

Heated discussions after losses are normal.

With that said...at this point I'm not afraid of ANYTHING because we have nothing to lose. The way we are playing, you could trade the Lakers for the Queens and it wouldn't change a damn thing. Its championship or bust and this year, our best case scenario is a first round exit if no miracle happens.

Thank god and Mitch's genius, after the next season everybody except for Nash is off the books. And we can go after whatever and whoever we want to.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Weezy on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:32 am

Good, get it out now, if Dwight can't take the heat good thing we find out now. If Kobe and Dwight can't get along good thing we find out now. Dwight has taken a lot of veiled shots at Kobe in interviews, not like Kobe is never going to fire back. I don't think Dwight is soft, but I can see how Kobe would say that if he did because Dwight doesn't always fight to get his buckets and show a fire to win, and after playing with a beast like Shaq who averaged 28 or so regularly, and even more in the playoffs, you'd think Dwight would be capable of at least 25 or so ppg. This is one of the main reasons I wanted Phil Jackson as our coach, because he seems to have an ability to sort this stuff out, to get players to put this stuff aside ON the court, to manage star players and command their respect, but oh well I guess.

But hey, if they can't get along trade one of them, I'm sure Dwight still has a ton of value, and if you want to choose Dwight over Kobe go ahead, see what you can get. Obviously I'd take Kobe over Dwight even going forward (with the 2014 free agent plan being the reason), but the FO can do what they want. OR, they can both knock it off and just play ball.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:34 am

Uh Oh. Kobe calls Dwight soft but not Pau :man3: OK, was good to know you Dwight :man5:
kenzo

Postby odom1year on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:41 am

[url][url]http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8817247/dwight-howard-says-los-angeles-lakers-play-each-other[/url][/url]

The another one.
odom1year

Postby Chillbongo on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:55 am

Three team trade involving TOR BKN and LAL?

Brook Lopez & Bargnani to LAL? Dwight to BKN? Brooks + Pau to TOR? + pieces?

I'd hope we can get better assuming trading Dwight is even an option. Just seems like the team needs change. I don't think going for another superstar is an option. We should go with someone young & unproven willing to put in the effort and who wants to make a name for himself.
Chillbongo

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:57 am

:smash: I'm giving this an extreme side eye.
Jazzygirl205

Postby The Rock on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:57 am

This is good I suppose

http://sulia.com/jrudolphsports/f/c012084c-43df-4cd2-aa1a-9dea8bbd102f/?source=twitter&guid=c012084c-43df-4cd2-aa1a-9dea8bbd102f
For those wondering, I was told on Thursday that the rumor of a Dwight-Kobe altercation was nothing more than talk.

I also know of two other reporters that were made aware of the rumor last week and also told the story wasn't true when they looked into it

I understand Dwight sat around doing nothing for 6 months and now has to play at a high level but come on demonstrate some Franchise player qualities. Enough with the whining and mental midget play on the court. We know you're not 100% so find other ways to help your team sheesh

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:58 am

Jarrod N Rudolph

3 minutes ago

For those wondering, I was told on Thursday that the rumor of a Dwight-Kobe altercation was nothing more than talk.

I also know of two other reporters that were made aware of the rumor last week and also told the story wasn't true when they looked into it.

http://sulia.com/jrudolphsports/f/c012084c-43df-4cd2-aa1a-9dea8bbd102f/?source=twitter&guid=c012084c-43df-4cd2-aa1a-9dea8bbd102f
wcsoldier81

Postby Vlade_12 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:59 am

this team is going no where... when are people going to see it

Kobe can't win playing Kobe ball no more, let alone carry a team
Nash can play defense
Gasol is washed up
Dwight isnt a great scorer.. At this point the only guy who can get his at will is Kobe
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Postby LTLakerFan on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:01 am

RUH ROW
Who didn't know this was going to happen when freaking Pringles was chosen instead of Phil? This is who Phil is, what he does better than anyone. Most of the time. Manage egos. Dwight wanted him, Kobe wanted him. Everyone wanted him except Busses. Shoot from the hip again as someone else said with another coaching decision instead of letting the Basketball Guy (Mitch) handle it. Team is going nowhere for too effing many reasons that are NOT Kobe Bryant's fault. Dwight is going to be gone, likely traded so they get something instead of letting him walk just like the report says. Effing YUK. They went and effed it all up again with another bad coaching hire.
LTLakerFan

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:04 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
Jarrod N Rudolph

3 minutes ago

For those wondering, I was told on Thursday that the rumor of a Dwight-Kobe altercation was nothing more than talk. I also know of two other reporters that were made aware of the rumor last week and also told the story wasn't true when they looked into it.

Laker drama makes for good entertainment, we can't help ourselves.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Vlade_12 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:09 am

i just wanted to win 6 and 7 :nono2: just dont see it happening
Howard Gasol
Clark Hill
MWP
Kobe Meeks
Nash Duhon
Playoff rotation! Bring Casspi or Ariza back home for a Title Run Mitch!!!
Vlade_12

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:18 am

Sounds like the media digging for stories. About as believable as that story that Pau was playing sorry 'cause he broke up with his girlfriend.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby havoc33 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:37 am

Jazzygirl205 wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:
Jarrod N Rudolph

3 minutes ago

For those wondering, I was told on Thursday that the rumor of a Dwight-Kobe altercation was nothing more than talk. I also know of two other reporters that were made aware of the rumor last week and also told the story wasn't true when they looked into it.

Laker drama makes for good entertainment, we can't help ourselves.

Whoever put this rumour out there should get his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] kicked. We don't want this to turn into Shaq vs Kobe: part 2, where the media were just as much to blame for the hoopla as the players were. False rumours and statements were flying all over the place back then.

If Kobe actually did throw Shaq's statements in Dwight's face, I could be more understanding towards Howard saying that teammates need to have respect for each other. But seeing that this is another attempt by the media to add fuel to the fire, it is even more important that we as fans view these reports with a critical eye going forward.
havoc33

Postby MC on Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:55 am

I'd be more concerned if it was all buddy, buddy and chummy right now..........

they are losing games.......

Bryant don't like losing games......

and he don't care who's feelings he hurts either......

Even if Bryant is some of the issue at times SOMEONE in that locker room has to be the bad guy in these moments.............

If it doesn't work and Howard walks............ let him. If winning is not everything to the guy than the guy needs to hit the bricks just like Bynum........ It's really that simple. The jury is still out on Howard and he's at the point in his career that this "nice guy" thing needs to get corrected. I don't want nice guys..... I want a big that is going to to do the damage his frame looks like it should inflict.... not a 7 foot jokester or clown gesture that needs his happy space to perform......... This team needs nasty, not pleasant.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby trodgers on Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:36 am

There were always concerns over whether Bryant, a no-nonsense veteran, and Howard, a playful man-child, could co-exist.

Yes, that sums them up nicely.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby abeer3 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:44 am

ugh. just when i think this season couldn't get worse, it surprises me again!
abeer3

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:14 am

Didn't anybody read that they didn't actully have an altercation and it was nothing more than a talk? Reaad before you post...

Anyway, Kobe ball doesn't work anymore. Its just not working for whatever reason. If given the choice between Kobe & Dwight, I am sorry but I would rather keep the 27 year old C in his prime who should be 100% by next season and put some great pieces around him in 2014. If Kobe were younger, obviously I would take Kobe.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby John3:16 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:43 am

Here's what I don't understand: Howard says he wants Kobe to push him to be the best. Kobe pushes him to be the best and he whines.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:49 am

^^^ I don't see how Kobe is pusing him at all taking 23+ shots a game...

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby JGC on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:58 am

Of course there's no way for us to validate this story right now. But I do think it is more on the side of believable than unbelievable.

Then again, the story about the "pecking order" conversation between those two was more unbelievable than believable and it turned out to be true.

Can't we all just get along? I totally understand D12's frustration though. We get him the ball in worse spots and less overall than when he was in Orlando.
JGC

Postby John3:16 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:06 am

GoldenKnight wrote:^^^ I don't see how Kobe is pusing him at all taking 23+ shots a game...

Having Dwight shoot more isn't pushing him. It's a mindset. It's in practice. It's preparing for the game. Having a killer instinct (something Kobe definitely has and Dwight clearly doesn't). Every coach, who pushes his players, will be met with resistance at first. Then they either fall in line or you get rid of them. Kobe is the coach in this situation. Dwight is the one resisting. Why should Dwight listen to Kobe? I can think of 5 good reasons. Why should Kobe listen to Dwight? I can't think of one.
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:34 am

John3:16 wrote:
GoldenKnight wrote:^^^ I don't see how Kobe is pusing him at all taking 23+ shots a game...

Having Dwight shoot more isn't pushing him. It's a mindset. It's in practice. It's preparing for the game. Having a killer instinct (something Kobe definitely has and Dwight clearly doesn't). Every coach, who pushes his players, will be met with resistance at first. Then they either fall in line or you get rid of them. Kobe is the coach in this situation. Dwight is the one resisting. Why should Dwight listen to Kobe? I can think of 5 good reasons. Why should Kobe listen to Dwight? I can't think of one.

I can think of one. Because Kobe needs a motivated Howard to contend. Kobe is the coach and in a way, that's a problem because Kobe's management style is not very adaptive. That is, you play the way Kobe wants you to play and when Kobe wants you to play. That can be effective for some people, and ineffective for others.

It's like a manager that, rather than adapt his management style to the personalities that report in to him, force them to work the way he wants them to work. And that isn't always the best way to get the most out of people.

Can't really blame Kobe though. That is who he is. In the past, we've had more adaptive type leadership personalities in Fisher and PJax who were probably better at approaching these folks in the right way.
JGC

Postby John3:16 on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:48 am

JGC wrote:
John3:16 wrote:

I can think of one. Because Kobe needs a motivated Howard to contend. Kobe is the coach and in a way, that's a problem because Kobe's management style is not very adaptive. That is, you play the way Kobe wants you to play and when Kobe wants you to play. That can be effective for some people, and ineffective for others.

It's like a manager that, rather than adapt his management style to the personalities that report in to him, force them to work the way he wants them to work. And that isn't always the best way to get the most out of people.

Can't really blame Kobe though. That is who he is. In the past, we've had more adaptive type leadership personalities in Fisher and PJax who were probably better at approaching these folks in the right way.

I actually agree with you. Kobe's way isn't necessarily right or perfect. But it is the way he is. Kobe doesn't insist you have the most talent. Kobe never had a problem with Fisher. If you give 100%, you'll never hear a peep out of Kobe. But if you have talent and aren't giving it everything you have, he's gonna have a problem with you. Kobe wants to do one thing: WIN! He knows how to do that, but needs others to have that same goal. Another thing about how often Kobe shoots: Nash is the point guard and the offense is initiated by him. If anyone is upset about how often Kobe shoots, watch the games. There are many reasons for it, getting us back in games is one of them.
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion