Kobe/Jordan Video

Re: Kobe/Jordan Video

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:12 am

Battle Tested20 wrote:
BadCoaching wrote:That video is.. tremendous

Kobe with the big hands like MJ had.. they'd be a dead lock other than the obvious hops advantage MJ had early on. Kobe certainly could fly though.

Yeah MJ with the bigger hands was a better finisher I think around the basket. Kobe, however, is a far more creative and explosive player around the basket. Kobe's smaller hands along with his unquestionable work ethic I think make him the better shooter as well as Jackie Mcmillen said in the video.

I was talking to my friend a while back and I said "Kobe is the better scorer than Jordan" and he said no, look at their efficiency. Jordan is on average far more efficient than Kobe is.

He's right of course and that got me thinking. I think Kobe is the better shooter from distance, yes. But as far as scoring goes I think Kobe is better when he gets hot. When Kobe is hot, I've never seen anything like it. He's untouchable. Even Jordan couldn't compare to Kobe's absolutely stunning scoring runs.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:21 am

therealdeal wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:

Kobe with the big hands like MJ had.. they'd be a dead lock other than the obvious hops advantage MJ had early on. Kobe certainly could fly though.

Yeah MJ with the bigger hands was a better finisher I think around the basket. Kobe, however, is a far more creative and explosive player around the basket. Kobe's smaller hands along with his unquestionable work ethic I think make him the better shooter as well as Jackie Mcmillen said in the video.

I was talking to my friend a while back and I said "Kobe is the better scorer than Jordan" and he said no, look at their efficiency. Jordan is on average far more efficient than Kobe is.

He's right of course and that got me thinking. I think Kobe is the better shooter from distance, yes. But as far as scoring goes I think Kobe is better when he gets hot. When Kobe is hot, I've never seen anything like it. He's untouchable. Even Jordan couldn't compare to Kobe's absolutely stunning scoring runs.

as far as efficiency, i dont really remember Jordan having to take as many 'bail out' shots as Kobe has had to in his career (post shaq)..
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby thkthebest on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:41 am

pound4pound1 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:

as far as efficiency, i dont really remember Jordan having to take as many 'bail out' shots as Kobe has had to in his career (post shaq)..

Post-Shaq, Kobe's shooting efficiency was actually better than his most efficient year with Shaq for 5 straight years. Kobe's 5 best TS% were in 04-05 to 08-09.

It's a similar story in the playoffs. Kobe's most efficient playoff runs were in 05-06 to 09-10.
My signature
thkthebest

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:13 pm

Awesome video. :jam2:

The two greatest ever (IMO).
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:21 pm

thkthebest wrote:
pound4pound1 wrote:

Post-Shaq, Kobe's shooting efficiency was actually better than his most efficient year with Shaq for 5 straight years. Kobe's 5 best TS% were in 04-05 to 08-09.

It's a similar story in the playoffs. Kobe's most efficient playoff runs were in 05-06 to 09-10.

Jordan was more efficient because he took better shots. Kobe has a knack for taking the most difficult shot he can find. He makes a greater percentage of them than he should, but he doesn't make a good percentage of them (if that makes sense).

Sure, he's had to take more bailout shots than Jordan, but that's not the bottom line for his overall efficiency. Jordan took less difficult shots than Kobe and therefore had a better FG%.

However, some of the reason Kobe has been able to explode offensively is because he takes those shots so there's a give and take there.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby blakeruns on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:27 pm

watched this yesterday, it's amazing.

the main thing i took away from it, was the level of competition each faced.
Kobe does these moves in Finals games, playoff games, against hall of famers.

what i also took away from it, was that MJ created these moves (more or less, he did it on the fly) whereas Kobe practiced and perfected them.

i look at it as a screenwriter adapting a Shakespeare play to be a Best Picture film. different mediums, each award winning.
keepin it fresh eight days a week
blakeruns
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Kobe is the only person that comparable to the GOAT Jordan, sad that people always refuse to give Kobe credits, I just hope that the coming season Kobe could finally gets his 6th rings
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby blakeruns on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:36 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Battle Tested20 wrote:

absolutely. that double OT in Portland like 5 years ago, when he blew up for 65 was just un-real. That turnaround 3 double teamed in the corner was one of the most ridiculous things i've ever seen in sports. i remember security being called to my apartment because i was screaming so loud, they thought it was a domestic dispute.
keepin it fresh eight days a week
blakeruns
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:44 pm

blakeruns wrote:absolutely. that double OT in Portland like 5 years ago, when he blew up for 65 was just un-real. That turnaround 3 double teamed in the corner was one of the most ridiculous things i've ever seen in sports. i remember security being called to my apartment because i was screaming so loud, they thought it was a domestic dispute.

Oh tell me about it. And he's got so many of those too. The shots against Portland to win the Division. His 4 straight 40 point games this season. His 4 straight 50 point games... Just absolutely ridiculous.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ras Algethi on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:12 pm

I'm with you guys on Kobe on fire mode. When Kobe gets hot, there's no on better. I've never seen a guy get so blistering hot like Kobe does on his scoring binges.

Jordan was more consistent, took better shots, and relied less on the long ball, hence his better fg %.
The most important image ever taken in 3D.
Ras Algethi
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:24 pm

therealdeal wrote:
blakeruns wrote:absolutely. that double OT in Portland like 5 years ago, when he blew up for 65 was just un-real. That turnaround 3 double teamed in the corner was one of the most ridiculous things i've ever seen in sports. i remember security being called to my apartment because i was screaming so loud, they thought it was a domestic dispute.

Oh tell me about it. And he's got so many of those too. The shots against Portland to win the Division. His 4 straight 40 point games this season. His 4 straight 50 point games... Just absolutely ridiculous.

So what happened to that favorite Kobe moment thingy we were doing?
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:21 pm

Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Someone forgot about it. :disagree:
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:21 pm

Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

Texas Lakers Fan

Postby XXIV on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:27 pm

Texas Lakers Fan wrote:
Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

He didn't forget, he had other things to deal with and said he'll continue it when he has more time.
XXIV

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:39 am

^ That. I didn't forget, but it takes a lot of time and effort and while it's easy for me to come in and post, that thread takes more than that. I just don't have the time right now.

I'll look to pick it back up again starting next Tuesday.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Finwë on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:12 am

therealdeal wrote:^ That. I didn't forget, but it takes a lot of time and effort and while it's easy for me to come in and post, that thread takes more than that. I just don't have the time right now.

It's cool, no pressure, I was just curious.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:48 am

Finwë wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ That. I didn't forget, but it takes a lot of time and effort and while it's easy for me to come in and post, that thread takes more than that. I just don't have the time right now.

It's cool, no pressure, I was just curious.

I know I'm not happy it's taking so long but life takes precedent :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:08 pm

It's amazing how similar they are. It's also insanely ironic at how for the past COUPLE of decades or decade or so you DARE NOT complare anyone to Micheal Jordan, especially Kobe Bryant. People would almost get disgusted, offended and direspected to even assume anyone was almost close to God forbid better than MJ in any area.
Fastforward to now that pedestal sure has dissappeared as the same people uttering those words are now saying how MJ wasn't that great or how he's like "Not some God" or something. I wonder why ther suddenly feel like comparing another player to him is so accurate these days and even more surprising saying that player is better than him and it not being as stomach turning as before?
Jazzygirl205

Postby LakerLegacy24 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:49 pm

The Rock wrote:Just something to think about...some people dismiss Kareem and Wilt's achievements because they had a physical advantage, why cant the same be applied to Jordan? Players in his position in the perimeter nowadays are taller, faster, stronger, longer, they jump higher compared to when he played...they maybe not fundamentally sound but the physical advantage becomes narrower now. The game has progressed too with more schemes and strategies since MJ's time. I think MJ would still be dominant in today's game but he wouldn't be as dominant and successful as he was when he played . Sure theres no handchecking but if you played basketball wouldn't you rather have just 1 guy draped all over you than 2 guys tightly guarding you 20 feet from the basket? I know Im opening pandora's box here but this place has been awfully quiet so maybe starting some discussing going may not be a bad thing lol

I've been saying this for years. There's no doubt that there is more tougher defenders/bigger bodies now compared to the MJ days. It's just sad how so many people hate on Mamba because he is so close to Mike but wont admit it. People put MJ on this God-like status and I wonder what they'll be saying after Kobe is done doing work with Dwight and his career is all said and done. :man1:
"Kobe Bryant, we are not worthy of your greatness." -Rick Kamla
LakerLegacy24

Postby lakersStan24 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:54 am

Great Vid! I Watched it yesterday
Please Subscribe to My YouTube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/LakersMix/videos?view=0
lakersStan24

Postby The Laker Link on Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:07 am

That's crazy scary
The Laker Link

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion